Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Hermione in Wonderland Revisited ❯ Of Flobberworms and Lords ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Hermione in Wonderland: Revisited
 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters or the basic plot line. Just some choice odd phrases.
 
 
Of Flobberworms and Lords
 
Hermione had no idea what to make of her encounter with the twins. It was surreal at best and more closely resembled pointless. She didn't know where they had run off to, and really wasn't mentally capable of handling another conversation with them. Thus she found herself again persuing Draco.
 
 
“At least Draco made some sort of sense when I was talking to him,” she muttered as she continued along the path.
 
 
The encounter with the twins had left Hermione far behind Draco and she wasn't sure where to find him.
 
 
'I only hope the path doesn't branch off anywhere,' she thought, walking briskly along.
 
Hermione tried to keep her mind on the task at hand, but kept being distracted by the strange sights surrounding her. The further into the forest she got, the less like a forest it looked. In fact, she wasn't even certain that trees surrounded her anymore. She stopped to examine a large plant next to her, and realized everything appeared to be flowers. Acutally, the lands didn't even look wild like the forest anymore. She seemed to be walking through a large flower garden, and the trees appeared to be giant flowers off all varieties.
 
 
“I don't know why I'm surprised,” she stated aloud. “I had obviously shrunk when I fell down the hole.” Still, she felt much smaller now than the rabbit size Draco had been when she saw him running through the field.
 
 
She kept walking, keeping her eyes open for other paths that Draco may have turned down at some point. Abruptly the path widened into a large clearing. On one side was a small hut, and on the other a pen. The pen appeared to contain a large number of absurdly large Flobberworms.
 
 
“Gross,” Hermione muttered.
 
“Gross?” growled a familiar voice. “I think not. What do you think, my dear?”
 
 
“Oh no, they are the most wonderful things. Why, with a slice of bread and some butter you could have no better supper!” replied an equally familiar feminine voice.
 
 
Hermione slowly turned around, knowing what she would see, but hoping she was wrong. Nope, she wasn't. Standing just outside of the hut was Hagrid and Madame Maxime.
 
 
`Of course,' she thought. `The walrus and the carpenter; this is back to being very dream like.”
 
 
Her thoughts were interrupted by a large rock that picked this moment to smack her on the side of the head.
 
 
“Ow!” Hermione looked around, trying to figure out where the rock had come from.
 
 
“Oh my,” twittered Madame Maxime, “it appears someone isn't very happy with you, dear.”
 
 
“Did you see who threw that?” Hermione questioned.
 
 
“Oh, it doesn't really matter,” Hagrid growled. “I am sure they are long gone by now. Would you like some tea and cookies?”
 
 
“Who made the cookies?” Hermione asked, glancing apprehensively at the plate that appeared in Hagrid's large hands.
 
 
“Why I did, of course,” huffed Madame Maxime. “They are the best Flobberworm cookies in the land. Even the Great Lord himself has said so.”
 
 
“Uhm, I'll pass. I ... uh… just ate.”
 
“Oh of course, I understand, us women must watch our figures after all.” Madame Maxime batted her large eyelashes.
 
 
Hermione decided that now was a good time to change the subject. “Have either of you seen a boy run through here?” she asked the couple.
 
 
“A boy running.” Hagrid appeared to be thinking. “No, can't say that I have. Have you, dear?” he asked Madame Maxime, who appeared to be admiring herself in a barrel of rainwater.
 
 
“What? Oh, no, dear, no running boys today,” she replied.
 
 
“Odd,” Hermione muttered. “I didn't see any place he could have turned off on the path.”
 
 
“No, no running boys,” Hagrid interrupted. “There was, however, a bouncing boy earlier. Do you remember him darling? He seemed familiar. Do we know who he is?”
 
 
“Oh, you mean the Great Lord's page.” Madame Maxime appeared flustered. “Of course we know him. He was by to announce the Duke's trial. Such a sweet boy. So adorable, I wonder why he hasn't married. I know of a few young girls who would love to sink their... oh, uhm... hands into him.”
 
 
“That's him,” Hermione exclaimed. “That's the boy I'm following.”
 
 
“Oh no, dear.” Madame Maxime exclaimed. “Nice young ladies don't follow boys. We wait for them to come to us. It's the only way for us to keep the upper hand.”
 
 
“No, you don't understand,” Hermione explained. “I'm not interested in him like that. I need his help to return to the Wizarding World.”
 
 
Madame Maxime gasped and looked at Hagrid. “Did you hear what she said? The Wizarding World!”
 
 
“I heard, dear, don't worry, I will take care of this.” Hagrid gently patted the large woman's shoulder. “Listen, girl, we don't want any trouble here. I think it would be best if you just moved on.”
 
 
“I don't want to cause trouble, I just want to go home!” Hermione was near tears. The trials of the day were starting to get to her.
 
 
Madame Maxime stepped forward and said, “Poor child, you just couldn't know, but we can't help you here. The only one who could be any help is the Great Lord. But child, don't try it. He is a mighty force, and doesn't take requests lightly.”
 
 
“I don't care.” Hermione sniffled. “I will do whatever I have to. Where can I find this Great Lord?”
 
 
Hagrid looked around, frightened, as the wind picked up and started rustling the leaves of the giant flowers. “We've said too much as it is, leave my clearing now.” Grabbing Madame Maxime by the hand, he pulled her into the hut.
 
 
Hermione watched them leave, still sniffling.
 
 
“LEAVE NOW!” boomed a voice from the huts open window, and Hermione started running back down the path.
 
My goal this chapter is to receive a 1 word review from each reader. If this happens I get to have chinese dumplings. So please review.