Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ lullaby ❯ prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHALLENGE:
The Sex-Change Challenge: I loved the idea for my "The 'Boy' Who Lived" story so much, that I decided I would gladly read anyone else's attempt at it.
RULES:
-Harry Potter must be born a girl, but no one knows except her parents, obviously the Dursleys, Dumbledore, and any select person you may choose.
-Harry (pick any girl name you want)
-She must pretend to be a boy for a select period of time. You choose why, although I doubt anyone can understand Dumbledore's crazy schemes.
-She can be in any of the four houses.
-People WILL find out the truth eventually. Let a few learn her secret at first, then the whole wizarding world can find out.
-And finally, NO HET or SLASH. Implying that someone has a crush on 'Harry' Potter is okay, as long as the real Potter isn't attracted to any other girls
I, your (not so beloved) author, Memories, have decided to actually attempt a challenge!
 
Sarika: Thank you to SaphirePhoenix for the ideas, it's been awhile since Memories has had inspiration for fanfics on the computer. Of course as her muse I have not let her talents slip away. She has been busy on paper fanfics.
 
Memories: Whose fault is that, hmm? Certainly not mine you irritating little snake.
 
Sarika: Be nice. And besides, you like snakes, elsewise why would my lower half be a snake? You created my form, ma cherie. But do we not have work to do? Do your little disclaimer thing and we can get started.
 
Memories: Yes, yes, of course. I just so happen to notown Harry Potter and if you truly think that then you're welcome to join me and my friends when we go to Bellevue. Though, if I did own it then I most likely would still be writing this.
 
___________________________________
 
 
On the night of July 30th, just before midnight, in Godric's Hollow, young red-haired woman who was heavily pregnant dropped her edition of A Midsummer's Night's Dream and screamed bloody murder for her husband. “JAMES POTTER! IF YOU DON'T GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW I'LL—ow, ow, pain, pain—MAKE SURE THIS IS THE LAST CHILD YOU EVER HAVE!”
 
James, needless to say, sprints down the stairs with an extremely hunted look on his face. “Lily, dear, what's the matter? Are you okay?” he asks quickly, keeping his fingers away from her face; the pregnancy had made Lily extremely violent and he didn't doubt that she probably would have gone through with her threat.
 
The glare Lily sent James would have made Severus Snape very proud of the only person ever to like him in school. “I am having your son within the next ten minutes and you have the audacity to ask if I'm okay!” she screeches at James.
 
James immediately goes several shades paler, making him look like cream with coffee. “Ten minutes? We have to get you to St. Mungos!” panics James.
 
“St. Mungos be damned to hell and back, we don't have time and I will not apparate! Just cast the gods-damned numbing charm and HELP ME!” screams Lily, the contractions causing her to bend over in obvious pain.
 
James, flustered, takes out a stick and mutters, “Torpeo.” and waves the stick. Lily lies back on the carpet and starts Lammas breathing. James immediately slips into the role he played during those muggle classes thinking, `Thank Merlin that Lily made me attend those classes so that I would know what to do in case this happened.'
 
^*^
 
Some five minutes later a baby's first cry is accompanied by a Cutting Hex then by James' rather effeminate giggling as he dances with the baby. “Oh, such a cute little baby you are! Yes, such a cute little baby! You're going to be such the little lady-killer when you grow up! Yes, you are!” he praises in a sing-song voice.
 
Lily watches her husband dance around the room singing like a maniac to the obviously confused baby, amusedly, and then croaks, “Can I see him, James? I'm sure that you've confused poor Harry enough for one night.” James stops and immediately sets the baby in Lily's arms. She coos at the baby then notices something. At which she thinks, `I probably should have seen that rather obvious fact right away. I mean it's a little hard to miss.' Lily continues to coo for a moment then speaks, “James apparently she's inherited more from you than your hair. A little prankster even before she's born!”
 
James stares in confusion before all the words sink in. He runs a hand through his hair nervously and stutters, “She? But-but the healers said she was a boy. Those were the best healers as well. How could we have missed the gender?”
 
Lily frowns at him but says, “Well, I do believe I just told you. Our darling daughter, is a prankster just like yourself and your friends. And she has pulled off the most ingenious prank ever!” The baby girl gurgles up at Lily and sneezes as a lock of Lily's hair falls on her nose. Lily and James look at her and fuss about how cute she is.
 
“Oh, I know the perfect prank that we can play on the entire world, Lily! We can extend our daughter's great Prank for as long as we can! Only we and Dumbledore have to know! It'll be great and it's been a long time since I've managed to pull one over on Padfoot! Which reminds me, what are we going to call her? We obviously can't call her Harry, unless it's in front of EVERYONE else.” rambles James happily, lying on the floor with Lily and their daughter.
 
Lily does her best evil, I'm-going-to-prank-you-so-well-you-won't-even-know-what-hit-you, grin. “Sounds like fun. And we're calling her Philomel. Yes, Dumbledore will have to know and I'm going to tell Severus. You know what he's like whenever you play a prank on him. It's no wonder he hates you.” Lily says, calmly petting Philomel to sleep.
 
James fakes a pout then whines, “Why did you pick such a pureblood name? Why not something nice and simple like Sarah?”(Okay, this is absolutely necessary. One, I utterly despise the name Sarah; there's way too many of them. And James is just playing with Lily.)
 
Lily lightly smacks James' head. “I got it from Midsummer's Night Dream. And there's this pretty lullaby that goes with it. Which I will sing to our dearest every night.” she says, getting up to put Philomel to bed.
 
James trails after her, taking out his wand briefly to transfigure the spare bedroom into a nursery. “Okay. So we are pranking the entire world but Dumbledore and Snape. Why Snape, dare I ask? Oh, yes, you already said. What's the lullaby? Can I hear it?” asks James excitedly.
 
Lily smiles faintly at the sleeping Philomel and says, “Yes, of course you can hear it. Be a dear and get me my book.” James bounces downstairs and quickly gathers up the fallen book before racing back upstairs. Lily smiles at James when he hands her the book and opens to a pre-marked page.
 
You spotted snakes with double tongue,
Thorny hedgehogs, be not seen.
Newts and blindworms, do no wrong,
Come not near our Fairy Queen.
 
“Philomel, with melody,
Sing in our sweet lullaby;
Lulla, lulla, lullaby, lulla, lulla, lullaby,
Never harm,
Nor spell, nor charm,
Come our lovely lady nigh,
So, good night, with Lullaby.
 
“Weaving spiders come not here.
Hence, you long-legged spinners, hence!
Beetles black, approach not near.
Worm nor snail, do no offense.
 
“Philomel, with melody,
Sing in our sweet lullaby;
Lulla, lulla, lullaby, lulla, lulla, lullaby,
Never harm,
Nor spell, nor charm,
Come our lovely lady nigh,
So, good night, with Lullaby.”
 
^*^
 
It's been a week since Philomel was born and so far Lily and James' `Great Prank', as they have so dubbed it, has gone off without a hitch. Everyone, including the ministry and the British government believe Philomel Faye Potter to be a little boy named Harry James Potter. Lily, James, and Philomel are all in the Headmaster's office with Dumbledore and Severus Snape with the strongest silencing spells they know around the small group.
 
“So,” begins Dumbledore, eyes twinkling madly, “to what do we owe the pleasure James, Lily? Surely there can't be something wrong with little Harry, can there? He looks perfectly fine to me.”
 
Severus snorts. “He looks like his father, Dumbledore. That's never a good thing. But he has your eyes, Lily. Too bad about the rest of him.” Nevertheless, Severus gently pets Philomel, who giggles and tries to grab one of his fingers.
 
James is unsuccessfully trying to kill Severus with a glare, while Lily is glancing sheepishly from Dumbledore to Severus. “Um, er, well she is quite well and that's what we were hoping to talk to you about.” stammers Lily. Dumbledore is looking quite confused but Severus stops petting Philomel to stare at Lily and James.
 
“The fact that your son is in good health is something to be celebrated, not questioned.” reprimands Dumbledore. Severus leaves off staring at the Potters to stare at the Hogwarts Headmaster instead.
 
“Have those lemon drops gone to your head and made you even more senile, Albus? Lily just admitted to throwing us all for a loop where her baby's gender and more than likely name, unless Potter is crueler than the Dark Lord, is concerned. I'm assuming that the Ministry is not aware of this little trick, Lily?” Lily nods her head meekly. Severus continues, “And Potter, I already knew you were insane, but until now I'd not known the full extent. What possessed you to do this? And, of course, I still don't know what her real name is and who else knows of this little prank. So,” he pauses to take a breath. “please, do enlighten us.”
 
“Her name is Philomel Faye Potter. No one but you two know of this. Frankly, I don't see why you had to know, Snivellus, but Lily insisted.” James growls through gritted teeth, wincing when Severus shoots a glare in his direction.
 
“I got the idea from the way all the healers mistook Philomel for a boy when I went to find out her gender while I was pregnant. When we realized that Philly was a girl I said something about her inheriting it from James and everything just escalated from there. Could you please not tell anyone? It'd be rather difficult to explain the birth certificates the Ministry and the muggle government have.” explains Lily.
 
Dumbledore's eyes widen and he chokes on a lemon drop. “You really went all out on this didn't you James? When were you going to tell everybody? Surely you are not going to make this poor girl grow up thinking that she is a boy.” Dumbledore questions when the lemon drop is unstuck.
 
“Of course not! Once Philly is old enough to understand the difference between genders we will admit to the prank. Oh, and Severus, can you be one of Philly's godfathers? Diana Lovegood and Alice Longbottom are her godmothers, with Sirius as her other godfather.” exclaims Lily. James just glares sullenly at the floor.
 
Severus on the other hand envelops Lily in a brief embrace, eliciting a growl from James. “I'd love to be her godfather so long as I don't have to deal with that mutt every time I want to see her.” he replies. Severus then picks up Philomel and begins to tell her about the potion he is making, despite the fact that she is only a week old and probably doesn't understand what he is saying.
 
Dumbledore interrupts Severus' monologue to conduct the brief ceremony to make Severus Philomel's godfather. A few hours later the silencing charms are taken down and Philomel is taken home by her parents and once again sung to sleep by her mother, who has kept true to her promise.
 
^*^
One Year Later
^*^
 
At night on August 6th, Dumbledore and Severus apparate to Godric's Hollow and stride quickly into the ancestral Potter home. In the living room, chatting are the Marauders, Lily, and `Harry' better known to only four as Philomel. Everyone except Philomel looks up when the door bursts open and Dumbledore, along with Severus, comes in uninvited.
 
“What are you doing here, Snivellus? No one wants you.” sneers Sirius before he notices Dumbledore. “Hello Professor. Have you come to see Harry? Just had his birthday, beginning of this week, in fact. Such a big, growing boy; you're sure to be taller than your father when you grow up, Harry.”
 
Dumbledore doesn't light up at the mention of Philomel as he normally would; instead he seems so much older. An excellent act, but not necessarily needed to show his despair. “I'm afraid that there has been a prophecy, concerning Phil—Harry and the downfall of Voldemort. True, it might not be him at all and it might be Neville Longbottom but most of the signs point to Harry.” Dumbledore sighs and waves at Severus at a signal to continue the story.
 
“I was at the Hogs Head with another Death Eater, trying to get information, when the new Divination teacher that Albus was interviewing began the prophecy. I managed to get the Death Eater to report to Voldemort what he'd already heard so as to not have the secrecy most likely necessary in this case jeopardized. But in maintaining secrecy I put Lily, Harry, and,” Severus' eye twitches. “James on the line. So, unfortunately you have to go into hiding; using the Fidelus charm would in all probability be the best chance you have for safety. Good-bye Lily and take care of my godson and yourself. I expect to see you two at Christmas.” With that Severus turns and stalks out the door, his robes billowing and swirling like murky water.
 
Dumbledore stares sadly at the shocked friends and advises, “I agree with Severus, Lily. Perform the Fidelus charm to keep yourself safe. I would gladly serve as your Secret-Keeper if you like.”
 
Lily is about to accept when James interrupts. “No thank you, Dumbledore. I will be choosing Sirius as our Secret-Keeper. You can go.” Dumbledore nods his head in acknowledgement and leaves.
 
“Prongs, everyone will expect you to choose me. Why not Wormtail? No one would ever suspect him.” mentions Sirius. James thinks it over a bit before agreeing. Lily then reluctantly casts the charm wishing that it was Dumbledore instead of Peter who would be protecting her family.
 
^*^
Halloween, Same Year
^*^
 
“…Weaving spiders, come not here.
Hence, you long-legged spinners, hence!
Beetles black, approach not near.
Worm nor snail, do no offense.
 
“Philomel, with melody,
Sing in our sweet lullaby;
Lulla, lulla, lullaby, lulla, lulla, lullaby,
Never harm,
Nor spell, nor charm,
Come our lovely lady nigh,
So, good night, with Lullaby.”
 
Sings Lily, then she kisses Philomel's forehead murmuring, “Good night, darling. Good sleep and good dreams to you on All Hallows Eve, Philomel.” into it.
 
Before Lily can come down the stairs, she hears the door bang open and James shouting, “Lily! Take Philly and go! It's him! Go! Run! I'll hold him off!” and a high evil cackle. Lily immediately sprints to Philomel's bedroom and picks her up quickly; starting to cry as she hears the Killing Curse and a body slump to the floor.
 
Voldemort glides up the stairs and enters the room just as Lily is about to attempt Side-along Apparition. “Give the boy to me, girl, and I'll let you live.” Voldemort crows triumphantly.
 
Lily just held Philomel closer to her and whimpered, “Not Philly, not Philly, please not Philomel!” Voldemort laughs again and pulls out his own wand, holding it in front of his hooded figure threateningly.
 
“Stand aside, you silly little girl. It will do you no good to throw your life away for your son's, when I'm just going to kill him myself later. Stand aside, now.”
 
Lily sobs into Philomel's soft blanket, nuzzling her daughter good-bye, before moaning, “Not Philly, please no, take me, kill me instead. I know the entire prophecy, you could torture it out of me…I'll do anything you want…Just not Philomel! Please, have mercy, have mercy…” But Voldemort simply cackles cruelly.
 
Avada Kedavra.” The green light leaves Voldemort's wand and leaves Lily dead on the floor, eyes the exact same color as the curse that killed her wide and unseeing. Voldemort picks Philomel up from her mother's body. “So this is the one that they thought could vanquish me? The Dark Lord? Born to those who cannot even begin to think of defeating; born to those who cannot even remember the child's name. Had you not been a threat young Harry Potter, I think I would have simply taken you. But you are and threats to my reign will not be tolerated.” Voldemort says, and then raises his wand. “Avada Kedavra.” The green light once again leaves its owner's wand but this time, instead of leaving a dead baby girl; it bounces off what looks like a barrier made of insects and other creepy crawlies. The green, killing light returns to Voldemort and hits him. A piece of sharp crystal imbeds itself into Philomel's forehead, forming the rune for victory, sowilo; when the house explodes. Philomel begins to cry.
 
^*^
 
Dumbledore immediately sent Hagrid off to Godric's Hollow when the alarms went off in his office. “What have I done, Fawkes? James and Lily are most likely dead and because of some stupid prank everyone believes their daughter to be a boy. Severus will be devastated when he hears about this, but no less devastated when I have to tell him that Philomel is either dead or will live with blood relatives. Nothing but a blood ward could stop Voldemort's killing curse.” he whispers. Fawkes croons soothingly to him but cannot do anything more at this time.
 
The fire suddenly flares green and Remus Lupin sticks his head in. “Professor! James and Lily are dead but Harry's still alive! What should we do? Hagrid's here, do you know any thing about that?” he asks, rather frantic. This is understandable considering the circumstances.
 
Dumbledore breathes a heavy sigh of relief when he hears that Philomel is still alive and answers the werewolf, “I sent Hagrid when the alarms went off in my office. Harry is really still alive? Is sh—he hurt at all?”
 
Remus shakes his head, hair flying in his face. “Not much, but there is a cut on his forehead; probably where the curse hit him. Dumbledore, what's going to happen to Harry now that his parents are dead?” he worries.
 
Dumbledore smiles and replies, “Just tell Hagrid to bring Harry to Privet Drive, Surrey, England. Professor McGonagall and I will be waiting.”
 
^*^
 
Professor McGonagall, at that moment, was a cat and was watching a very normal looking house. `Filthy muggles, there can be no way that they are related to Lily Potter, the sweetest girl I've ever known. Too think that Albus is even considering putting her son with these people. Their own son is a spoiled brat the size of a dragonet and the horse-woman will only make sure he grows even larger. Albus can't be thinking of leaving Harry here!' rants McGonagall in her head, hissing at Vernon Dursley when he goes into number four. Dumbledore appears silently soon after and takes out an odd lighter, which apparently un-lights things. Once the street is dark enough McGonagall transforms into a middle-aged woman with graying red-hair pulled tightly back into a bun. “Albus! How could you even think of putting Harry with these people, and I use that in the loosest term possible, when anyone in the wizarding world would be more than happy to take him? The child kicked its mother because she wouldn't buy it candy! For Merlin's sake, Albus, be reasonable!”
 
“I understand your concerns, Minerva, but Harry will be perfectly safe here. So long as Harry calls this place home, the blood wards will protect him.” answers Dumbledore right before the loud roar of a motorcycle breaks the night. A Harley-Davidson over three times the normal size drops out of the sky and a huge, shaggy-haired man gets off.
 
“'Ere I am Professor. Got `Arry too. Fell asleep as we was goin' over Bristol.” says the man, Hagrid as he places Philomel into Dumbledore's arms. Dumbledore strides up to the door of number four and gently places Philomel on the doorstep then puts a thick letter on top of her.
 
Pushing back her bangs he views the cut on her forehead. “He'll have that scar for the rest of his life. Pray, that it will only help not hinder.” Silently, like before, he disappears. Hagrid and McGonagall reluctantly leave as well.
 
Unbeknownst to anyone else, Philomel smiles in her sleep and turns to clasp the letter in one hand, whispering her first word. “Lullaby.”
 
_____________________________
 
Well, that concludes the prologue for my new story. It was longer than I'd expected it would be, but you needed to know everything in this chapter. Oh, and before anyone flames me: James and Lily are young and they just had their first child and they can afford to be a little insane; Severus is Lily'sfriend and dislikes James very much. He tolerates James for Lily and likes Philomel because this is Lily's child. And I think that Voldemort might feel some kinship if he feels that Philomel has been mistreated. Remember that everyone thinks Philomel's real name is Harry and that she is a boy.