Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Parenting Skills 101 - A Remus and Sirius Adventure ❯ Rems and the code ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
4 – Remus and the code

Common room – 4:35 pm


Remus looked up from his book to Sirius, who was once again glaring at him. "Oh, for god sakes Sirius! Its seven flipping days. You’re acting like you were sentenced to life in Azkaban."

"I might as well have been! How come James is allowed to play?"

James walked up to them and sat next to Remus. Sirius had been pacing for the last twenty minutes. "I'm not allowed to play. I have to be there to supervise though. We have a match in two weeks and because half our team is out on a pregnancy leave, we have to work the other half twice as hard."

Remus sighed and returned to his book, trying to ignore all the muttering that Sirius was doing. A small girl around the age of 12 walked up to Remus nervously. "Umm, excuse me are you Remus Lupin? I was told by Regulus Black to give this to you."

Remus smiled at the girl. His smiled faltered slightly, when he noticed something off about the girl’s aura. Something sinister... something sadistic... something... somethingevil.

Nonetheless, Remus took the letter from the girl and handed her a couple of Knuts for being the messenger, "Thank you... I'm sorry I didn't catch your name."

"It's Yuki, Yuki Night. I'm a first year." That explains it, with everything going on as of late there was no way he would have noticed her.

"New transfer?"

"No." She smiled sadly, "Just easily overlooked." She turned to the portrait hole. "I had better go and let Regulus know that you received the letter."

"Careful it's after hours."

"No worries I'm never noticed. Have a good night, and make sure you read that letter. It holds something important."

With that, she left the common room in search of Regulus.

James and Sirius looked from the girls back to Remus' face. "What was that about?" demanded Sirius.

"Regulus wrote me a letter and the girl delivered it. It's not like he can exactly deliver it himself now is it?"

James looked at Remus suspiciously, "There is something you’re not telling us... something big." he accused.

"There are a lot of things that I haven't told you," said Remus coolly. "Anyway has anyone seen Peter? I haven't spoken to him in days."

"You know not that you mention it neither have I... STOP CHANGING THE SUBJECT!! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON BETWEEN YOU AND MY BROTHER?!"

The whole common room became quiet, watching as it seemed the two boys who had just started speaking to each other again after five months, were starting to fight again.

"Keep your voice down people are listening." whispered Remus dangerously, his eyes flashing a bright red.

"Sirius!" said James in a hushed tone, "Don't get him angry. The full moon is in five days and it is a three day cycle."

Sirius froze and tried to calm himself. Remus was more dangerous on the three-day cycles than any other. The werewolf had control for five days; a day before the cycle begins, the three days of the full moon cycle (were Remus turns into the werewolf) and the day after.
Even though theoretically Remus should have control for another three days. Remus must be letting down his guard, enabling the wolf to surface a few days early.

"There is nothing going on between your brother and I. Even if there was it is none of your concern who I have my relations with."

Remus stood, gathered his books and disappeared up the dormitory steps. James turned on him, "You bloody idiot. Why can't you just leave well enough alone? Why did you have to poke the bear?"

Sirius looked at James confused, "I poked a bear? There was a bear? I wanna see the bear."

James rolled his eyes, "It's a figure of speech. Why did you have to upset Remus?"

Sirius was quiet for a moment, "He's keeping a secret from us... and its about Reg, I just wanted to know, what has been going on between him and my brother. Is that so wrong?"

James sighed and rested his head against the back of the couch, "No, but I feel that its their decision. That they will tell you when they are ready, that you are blowing things way out of proportion... just like you always do."

"I do not!"

"Sirius..." James sighed, "Oh forget it! C'mon you can help me train the team; we have practice in twenty minutes."

Sirius jumped up happily and pulled James to his feet. "Well what are we waiting for? Let's go to the Quidditch pitch!" Sirius practically dragged James out in his eagerness, stopping he turned to James. "You know I haven't seen Peter in awhile, I hope he's alright."

James snickered, "Since when do you care? Anyways we can look for him after practice, he might even be there. He never misses one."

Sirius looked at James a "Hurt" look on his face, "I care." at James raised eyebrow he says, "I do! I just don't like to show it."

James shrugs, "Whatever you say mate." Sirius glares at James, as the messy haired boy mutters something about Sirius being bipolar.

"Am not!"

"Are too."

"Am not!"

"Are too."

"AM NOT!"

"ARE TOO!"

"What are you guys screaming about?"

The two boys turned to see their mousy haired friend Peter, who looked like he had just came back from the dungeons.

"What were you doing down there Pete?" Asked James curiously, normally it wouldn't be so strange... except for the fact that Peter avoids the dungeons like the plague, unless he absolutely needs to be there. Like for class or a prank.

Peter shuffled his feet nervously, “Nothing, just getting some notes from Slughorn.”

“Where's your book bag?” Asked Sirius suspiciously, something was off...

“Umm...” Peter sighed, “I can't lie to you guys, I was in the Slytherin common room.”

James raised his eyebrows, “What were you doing there mate?”

“Umm... hanging out with Snape.”

“What! Why are you franchising with the enemy?” asked Sirius outraged.

“Snape's real nice once you get to know him,” said Peter defensively, “If you just gave him a chance you would see that! He is not like the rest of him, he's like Regulus.”

“Don't compare that slime ball to my little brother, Regulus is nothing like Snape!” said Sirius angrily.

“And how would you know? You never gave him a chance; you just decided he was bad. He's not Sirius, he really isn't. Do you think Evans would be his friend if he were? They are extremely close friends, maybe even closer than the Marauders.”

James looked a little taken aback, “Him and Lily?”

Peter nodded, “They go far back, they have been friends since they were kids. Snape is not who you think he is, in fact he is the complete opposite. James you will have to lay off on Snape if you want Lily.”

James nodded; He knew that Peter wasn't going to back down. He might as well give the boy the benefit of the doubt; he had never seen him so worked up before. “Alright Pete. If you can accept him so can I. Just remember that we were here first... Sirius?”

Sirius sighed defeated; If James was going to accept it there is no reason as to why he couldn't. “I guess if Lily's friends with him he can't be that bad, she’s too goody goody for that. OW! That hurt James! I'll lay off him.”

Peter smiled in thanks. Looking at his watch he said, “You guys had better get to the pitch. Practice starts in 5 minutes.”

Looking alarmed James started pulling Sirius towards the entrance, “We had better go, you coming Pete?”

Peter shook his head, “No. I'm tired I think I'll go take a nap, I'll see you guys at dinner.”

“See you at dinner!” James pulled Sirius through the front doors and out of site.

Shaking his head, Peter turned and said, “You could have come out you know.”

Severus Snape walked out from behind the stairwell, “And get attack by your friends, I don't think so.”

Peter rolled his eyes, “I wouldn't let them attack you. Do you think Remus got Regulus' letter?”

Severus shrugged and haphazardly fell onto the floor, “Who knows... who was that girl have you ever seen her before?”

“Careful! Our kids in there!”

At the other boys amused smile Peter shook his head and sat down next to him. Placing his head on the other boys shoulder. “No, she had a weird aura about her though. I wonder if Remus noticed.”

Severus snickered and placed his arm around the smaller boy, pulling him closer. “Probably, he is a werewolf after all. They tend to sense things like that.”

Peter looked up from Severus' shoulder, “You have to promise never to mention that to anyone, Sev. He will be in great danger if his secret is let out.”

Severus smiled softly, “You love them don't you? I can tell.”

Peter sighed, “Yes I do .They are like brothers to me... I just hope we can stay that way. The way Sirius and Remus are fighting, the group may break up.”

Severus snickered and tried to hide it in a cough, “What?”

“It's just that... you haven't noticed have you? Oh you poor, unobserving fool.”

“What?” Peter demanded hardly being able to see what was so funny.

“Even I have noticed it. They are in love with each other. They may not know it yet, but it's pretty obvious.”

“So what about their fighting?” Peter had replaced his head on Severus' shoulder and shifted slightly to get more comfortable.

“That’s to be expected, what Black did was wrong. He completely ruined Lupin's trust in him. No matter how much you love someone, it is hard to bounce back from that... but things will work out for the best, you just have to let them work things out for themselves.”

“I guess your right... thanks.”

Severus looked at him curiously, “For what?”

Peter shook his head, “Just thanks.”

The 5th year boy’s dormitory

Remus sighed and placed his books on his bookshelf. Grabbing the letter off his bedside table, he plopped onto his bed and laid against his pillows. Carefully he opened the envelope, took out the letter and placed it to the side. The Black families crest visible through the thin paper.

Remus sighed and unfolded the parchment...

Dear Remus,

You and I haven't spoken for a while. Ever since the incident with my brother anyway. Anyway, I wanted to know if you could possibly meet up with me tonight at midnight, the Astronomy Tower. Around midnight? Let me know by dinner tonight.

R.A.B

1,16,3/23,32,31/7,42/100,11,32,7,118,3,14/45 ,4,63,121,11,32/.../100,27,54,108,8,107,32,120,12,14/83,12,98 ,24/4,55,149,3,13 /103,54,92,4,8,13,133,8,152,149,15,1.

Remus stared at the letter for a moment. Something was off about it, and what did those numbers at the bottom mean? Was it a code? Was Regulus putting something in code, so that others couldn't understand? Was he warning him about something?

Sighing Remus placed the letter down and closed his eyes. Anything Regulus has to warn him about he can do it at midnight...

To be continued...

I have a sort of contest for you guys.The person who can crack the code that Remus had recieved in the letter first, will recieve the next chapter first as well as the drawings of the babies appearences... ok ok I know those are sucky prizes but what else can I give you?

An- Sorry nothing with the babies really this chapter. Umm lets see next chapter we get a deeper look into Peter and Severus' relationship as well as the code. Regulus and Remus meet. And just who is that mysterious girl and what is her relation to Remus? Also when everything takes a turn for the worse, whats one more thing that goes wrong?