Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ What Happened After ❯ Hogwarts at Last ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
“Mom, an owl,” shouted an 11-year-old redhead girl with mischievous eyes.

“Would you get the letter for me, Mally?”

“Do I have to?”

“Yes!”

Mumbling could be heard as she went to the owl and took off the object of distain.

“Hey!” Mally suddenly yelled, “the letters are addressed to me and Matty!”

“Your letters are here? Really?” Becca (the mom) came running into the room, “Finally I get to realize one of my dreams; to visit Platform 9 3/4.”

“What’s up? Did I hear my name in here?” Matty said entering the room.

“We got…”

Mally was cut off by Becca, “your letters came from Hogwarts today!”

“Thanks for letting me finish mom.”

“No problem honey.” (A/N: Becca is a little out of it right now… but just a little bit.) “Let’s see you will need robes, hats, gloves, cauldrons, telescopes, WANDS… I have to call someone, I am just so excited!” And with that she ran out of the room… with the letters.

“What’s with her, I mean---” That is when Matty was cut off by another voice.

“Leaping Lizards, what’s wrong with your mom? She was came down the stairs babbling about how excited she was I got scared and ran,” said Fred.

The twins just looked at each other and burst out laughing.

“No, honestly what happened?” Fred asked.

“We have no idea-”

“-but it just might have to do with-”

“-our letters,” they finished together.

“You got your letters? Congrats! At least it explains the sudden need for your mother to call long distance to Canada.”

“Who is she calling?”

“Laura, I think.”

“We have a good idea for the joke shop daddy.” (A/N: I honestly hope you know that this was Mally not Matty)

“Oh, and what is that?”

“Invisible walls-”

“-you set them up and WHAM!”

“That’s not half bad you two, I’ll tell Uncle George about it later. Uh-oh I smell supper. I am getting lost before Becca finds and recruits me to help her. Don’t be late for dinner you two.”

“I bet you a knut mum finds dad and makes him help,” Mally said.

“No way, I’d lose!”

“Chicken!”

“I got my letter.”

“Thank you Mr. Obvious.”

“That wasn’t me. It was the V.A.O.M. system,” snapped Matty. V.A.O.M. system stands for Vocal Anti Owl Messaging system. A device the twins (A/N: Fred and George) made based on a certain mirror Harry told them about, very useful but not very popular yet.

“Oh, sorry,” then speaking into her V.A.O.M. Mally said, “Wolfgang; Polly; Cathrine; Eva; Isabella: We have received our letters to Hogwarts too.”

“You should have signed it.”

“Nah, only Polly sounds like me and she wouldn’t have said ‘we’, now would she?”

“Suppose not”

“Us too,” and “Same here,” Said two different voices from the V.A.O.M. s.

“Looks like we all have them,” stated Matty.

“Uh huh, we do.”

“Rub-uh-dub-dub, come get the grub!” called a voice from downstairs.

“We’re coming Dad! I told you that he would be found Matty.”

“That is why I said no to the bet.”

“Race you down stairs!”

“I will win!

“Yeah right.”

? Mally’s P.O.V.?

“So mom, when can we go to Diagon Alley?” I asked.

“Not for a while.” What a lame response! I had to protest!

“But…” I started.

“It’s because Laura will be here in a week & a half and she wouldn’t mind coming with us. Plus I arranged it with your aunts to go all together that day.

If I got to go shopping with all of my cousins I wasn’t going to complain. We were close the six of us but rarely did all of us meet. I felt sorry for Cornelius and Terry. Even though we were cousins I remember seeing them twice and one time it wasn’t planned. To make it even worst for them there were no cousins on their mother’s side. As for mom’s cousin Laura she was an Olympic shooting competitor; and a muggle (not that I hold that against anyone, seeing as mom was a muggle herself). That was all I knew of Laura, because she was rarely in the country and when I saw her she mostly talked to mom.

Now that mom had a good excuse I couldn’t think of anything to say other than, “I see,” so that is what I said.

The next week and a half seemed to take for ever and my excitement grew every day. Finally the day came when we went to the airport to get Laura (I pride myself in being acquainted with both muggle and wizarding worlds). That night I could hardly sleep I was so excited. Tomorrow was the day we went to get our stuff, the first day into the rest of our lives… nah, it would just be really fun.

“Wake up Mally we have to get ready,” Matty woke me up by bouncing on me and yelling at what seemed like the top of his lungs.

“Huh?” So alert in the morning aren’t I?

“Diagon Ally, for school supplies, remember?” Now he was talking to me like an idiot, he was so going to get it. I was immediately wide awake and was able to charge after him down the hall.

“Get your breakfast so we can meet the others, Mally.” Saved by mom again, someday I would get that pain in the neck back!

I sat down to inhale my breakfast pausing only long enough to say, “Hi,” to Laura (who was up surprisingly early (the time was 10:00) and good morning to dad. I was almost done when the doorbell rang. Mom answered it, which is nothing new, and invited the person in. Matty, which had entered the kitchen looked at me and groaned; now it would be hours before we left.

Peeking around the corner mom asked, “Guess who is coming with us today,” I stared blankly at her and I could tell that Matty, dad and Laura were doing the same thing because she sighed and said too excitedly for that time in the morning, “Jessie!”

When the silence went on for a really long time mom said, “Tough crowd,” before exiting to talk to Jessie some more.

Jessie is our neighbour, sort of. You see she doesn’t live beside but she does live in the neighbourhood. Anyway, she was friends with mom and Aunt Ariel long before they were married. Aunt Jessie (that is what Matty, Polly, and I call her) moved to London for two reasons. Reason one; the British news wasn’t nearly wacky enough and she simply had to do something about it. Reason two; she was escaping from her family. I always thought she was weird.

After mom talked for forever and a half, we finally left to go to the Leaky Cauldron. It was packed but mom, who is really tall, spotted Uncle Bill, Aunt Fleur and Wolfgang.

The adults launched into an immediate discussion.

“Did you see the article in the Profit?”

“Yes, ‘The wizarding world is at peace finally’ what a laugh.”

While the adults continued in this manner (wow that sounds like Wolfgang), we had a much more interesting conversation.

“This is the best!”

“We get to spend the year without our parents.”

“Any good new or developing pranks we might be able to ‘ave for ‘Ogwarts?” Wolfgang, like his mother has perfect grammar, and a French accent.

“Well daddy said he would develop the vanishing wall idea we had, right Matty?”

“Ya, that’s what he told us.”

“I see anything else?”

“Nothing wonderful since V.O.A.M. System but there is always the classics.”

“Look! Aunt Ginny, Uncle Harry, Aunt Hermione, Uncle Ron, Eva, Isabelle, Catherine, Anne, Jane, Mary, Elizabeth and Edward are here.” Curse Matty and his excellent eyesight, I wanted to spot them.

“There’s Uncle George, Aunt Ariel and Polly.” Finally something goes right for the victim a.k.a. me.

“It looks like we can go.” Uncle Bill, obvious but you’ve got to love him.

First we went to Gringotts, and because of Uncle Bill’s connections we were able to get in and out quickly. Then a conflict arouse. We kids wanted to go shopping by ourselves, but the adults wanted us to have an adult go with us. Finally we agreed to have Mom, Aunt Ariel, Laura and Jessie come along (because when they were together they were like kids anyway).

“We should get your cauldrons first to carry everything in.” Stupid, practical mom, I really wanted to get my wand but what she said made sense.

When no one made another suggestion we went of to get our standard size ‘2’ pewter cauldron (the sales clerk was shocked when we wanted six of them). Next we got potion ingredients, our school books, brass scales, telescopes and we even got an owl for the six of us to use (Eva uses Hedwig, her family’s owl). Mom seemed to be torturing me because next we went to get our robes.

“Oh my,” asked the clerk, “are these two girls twins? They are almost exactly the same.” She was referring to me and Polly.

“Nope, but their dads are,” Aunt Ariel said. She glanced at mom and they both started laughing. I couldn’t figure out what they were laughing at but the look on the clerk’s face was pretty funny.

When she had calmed down enough to talk mom explained to the clerk that Polly and I were cousins and our fathers were twins. The clerk huffed and shooed us to the stool to be fitted. Apparently she didn’t like being laughed at though because she kept her mouth shut from then on.

We were exiting the shop when Laura finally uttered the words I had wanted to hear all day, “Isn’t all that is left wands?”

“Yes.”

Our cheering must have been heard in France we were so loud.

Mr. Ollivander’s shop was a mess. Wands were everywhere and a large pile was growing in the centre of the room.

“One moment please, I have to help this customer,” a voice said from behind the pile.

So Matty, Polly, Wolfgang, Catherine, Isabella, Eva, Mom, Aunt Ariel, Jessie, Laura and I took a seat. In a few minutes the man, who must have been Ollivander, was finished with the other kid and came over to help us. Every one of the soon-to-be-Hogwarts students tried to look more noticeable. We all wanted to go first.

Isabella was first though.

“Let’s see, 14 inches, elm, unicorn hair; one of the oldest wands in the shop. It was beautifully aged if I remember.”

“Oh yes! It’s the most beautiful wand of all!”

“We all say that about our wands. What can I help you all with today?”

“These six need their wands,” instructed Aunt Ariel.

“Ok, we need tape measures,” Mr. Ollivander clapped his hands and six tape measures flew at us. Wolfgang was the luckiest because he started with him.

“Let’s see you look like you’ll need a, I have the perfect one!”

It took about 12 tries for the right wand to be found for Wolfgang. Then Polly, Catherine, me, Matty and lastly Eva stepped up to get our wands. It was so cool, we all got wands. Wolfgang’s was 14½", oak with a dragon’s heart string core. It was also very stable.

Polly’s on the other hand was 15", made of olive wood and had a unicorn hair centre. Everyone liked hers second to their own. Catherine’s was 16", willow, had a unicorn hair and was quite nimble. Eva’s 13", maple, phoenix feathered wand looked delicate. Matty had a 15¾", fern wand with a phoenix feather. Mine, of course, was the best. It was 15¼" (yes, Matty does tease me that mine is shorter), and it was also made of fern but it has a dragon’s heart string centre and it snaps around like a whip.

We all thanked Mr. Ollivander and went to dad and Uncle George’s Joke shop to stock up for school.

Two weeks later, we were at platform 9 ¾ ready to board the train. Laura had gone back to Canada but mom brought Jessie along. It was something about an old ‘evil’ plan between them and Aunt Ariel.

I was so embarrassed when mom gave me and Matty a big hug but I felt better when I saw Aunt Fleur’s good-bye to Wolfgang. She cried, gave him a really soggy kiss and shooed him away in a really dramatic fashion.

When the whistle blew we all found a compartment to sit in together. As the train pulled out of the station we waved good-bye to our parents (plus Jessie) who we wouldn’t see until Christmas. It was then we realized how much they meant to us and that we would miss them (even Jessie, our crazy neighbour).

The train ride went along relatively well. The good points were the food trolley, talking and laughing, meeting other young witches & wizards and the lack of parents. Bad points were that we were worried about how we would be sorted (they wouldn’t tell us) and our cousins Terry and Cornelius were also on the train.

What? You don’t know who they are? Well Terry is mean and Cornelius is stuck up.

The train stopped at last and the six of us piled out. Then we heard Hagrid, a good family friend, saying, “Firs’ years, firs’ years over here!” Hagrid was amazing over 70 years old and he was still games keeper/ Care of Magical Creatures (A/N: From now on known as CoMC).

We got into the boats. Matty, Polly and I were in one and Wolfgang, Eva and Catherine were in another. Terry must have been there somewhere, but I didn’t know or care.

Paddling up to the castle was the most beautiful thing… EVER!

We finally got to the castle and Hagrid lead us into a room. Everyone was now really nervous about the sorting process but I didn’t care, because I was at Hogwarts at Last!



Author’s Notes
Hi people! Yes I am still alive but I haven’t been in the ‘mood’ to write… and I am a lazy person. But for the record I did post it as soon as I was done it. This means I am reliable which means you will believe what I say next. Unless someone protests I will not post again until the entire story is finished (and typed up). I will work on it because it is my goal to finish it but it won’t be added to online until I am done. BUT that means I can post one chapter once a week and so it will be worth the wait. See you later my fellow Harry Potter fans!
TTFN
Mor’ranr
French Fry