Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ A Little Drop of Poison ❯ A Little Drop of Poison ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Authors Note: I don't own Hellsing or any of its characters. This has been running circles in my head since I first heard this song. It's my first songfic/fanfic. I'd love reviews, suggestions, even flames. Just give me some sign it's been read.
 
This song is “Little Drop of Poison” by Tom Waits
 
I like my town with a little drop of poison
Nobody knows they're lining up to go insane
I'm all alone, I smoke my friends down to the filter
But I feel much cleaner after it rains
 
Integra Windgates Hellsing had always been slightly sadistic. Now sitting alone in a beautifully furnished jail cell, she could only chuckle at her plight. She had finally saved England from the vampires and FREAKs that threatened, completing and ending her family's pact. It was over, truly over. Yet she could not celebrate.
 
She flicked away her cigar butt and reached for another. Lighting it with a match, she could not help to reminisce the days that led up to her pathetic demise.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

She left in the fall, that's her picture on the wall
She always had that little drop of poison
Walter paced the halls of the Hellsing family manor. He paused when a flicker of light caught his eye, stopping with a slight click of his heels echoing down the marbled passage. The candle he carried, merely a stub of white wax, had reflected off of the gold frame of a painting. He could not help but to look mournfully upon the subject staring back at him with lifeless eyes.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Did the devil make the world while god was sleeping
You'll never get a wish from a bone
Another wrong good-bye and a hundred sailors
That deep blue sky is my home


Alucard, her precious little pet, had easily destroyed Incognito once she had released the wards binding him. The world, and more importantly Mother England, was rid of one of the last powerful vampires in existence.
 
She was still angry with Walter for hurling her out of the plane with his filaments, mainly because she knew not if he lived. Hell had materialized as four stone walls around her, and nothing entered her cold prison but her dinner, cigars, and of course, her pet. Of course, Alucard was useless for information. He was too enamored with the idea of sinking his long canines into her soft flesh and draining her dry of life.
 
But before she was locked away, she did learn that the Hellsing Organization and all of its soldiers were dead. She had failed her men, just as she had failed to stand tall in her father's footsteps. Every time Alucard appeared, his offer of death sounded more and more appealing.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

She left in the fall, that's her picture on the wall
She always had that little drop of poison
The Angel of Death was at a loss. His purpose was now rendered unfeasible. The lock made a small click as Walter turned the key, shutting off the Hellsing manor from the outside world. He paced slowly to the car, not daring to turn back at what was once a great empire.
 
He left the drive for the last time, never to return. He could not help but to think back to that gold-bordered painting and the plaque that hung below it. “Sir Integra Windgates Hellsing (1977-2002).” Her ice blue eyes still haunted him, holding a steady glower seemingly for him, despite the growing distance and separating time.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

And a rat always knows when he's in with weasels
Here you lose a little every day
Well I remember when a million was a million
They all have ways to make you pay
She had known that the council had met secretly without her, making it painfully obvious what the topic was. When the FREAKs had broken in on Hellsing Headquarters, they developed an unforgivable grudge against Sir Hellsing despite the fact that they had survived.
 
Integra sighed again. This darkened cell did not suit her. But perhaps there were other options. Yes, indeed, other options. She smiled cruelly at her thoughts.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
She left in the fall, that's her picture on the wall
She always had that little drop of poison
 
But it was over. Giving a last sigh of defeat, Walter let go, drifting slowly into his dreams, or more accurately, his nightmares.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
She left in the fall, that's her picture on the wall
She always had that little drop of poison
 
Alucard would be pleased with her decision. She almost changed her mind when she thought of the maniacal `I told you so' expression that would adorn her pet's face. Maybe she should wait. She had already been rotting in her prison long enough that waiting a few more days would not matter.
 
Perhaps the old fools in the council would come to their senses. She chuckles. That was as likely has Alucard turning down her blood offering. But perhaps…perhaps