Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Drowning in Darkness ❯ Seras in Love ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Drowning in Darkness

By: Lazeralk

Standard disclaimers apply

In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.

Part 2

*

Dr. Malikai Olsen pulled his hip length wavy white hair into a ponytail. He buttoned his coat and headed for work. He taught British Literature at the largest University in London, and was the leading expert on the preternatural. Today would be his last day teaching before he was transferred to the Hellsing Organization per request of the Queen herself. He was going to be taking over the Information Division, as the field units were short too many men. After the attack on the Hellsing house, the Organization was desperate for new soldiers. Most of the inactive staff had some military training and so, they were bringing in non-military experts to fill the positions those with training were vacating.

While he had no military experience he was by no means out of shape. He worked out at a near-by gym every other day and was quite well built. He was exceptionally tall, with long legs and broad shoulders, a handsome face and a cool disposition. His new lab coat, which had to be specially made to fit his muscular frame, had arrived in the mail yesterday, the red and black Hellsing coat of arms embroidered in the breast pocket.

He opened the door to his classroom and found it empty, as it usually was at six in the morning. He pulled out his notes for his last day and sighed. He ran his fingers through his long bangs and opened his copy of the Book of Exeter. His students began to file in as the clock ticked nearer to six-thirty. When they all arrived, he began his lecture.

"Ok, you all remember that the Book of Exeter is one of the few things we have left of the Anglo-Saxon period, it's survived horrid treatment and details the lives of the Anglo-Saxons through poetry. One of the main themes is exile as told to us through poems like "The Seafarer" and "The Wife's Lament". I want you to read "The Wanderer" on page one sixteen and write a comparative essay on these three depictions of exile. Due at the end of class, begin."

His students groaned but pulled out paper and pencil and their own copies of the book and began to read. He sat, and settled down to read his new assigned duties as a Hellsing operative while his students worked.

*

"Well?" asked Integra as she felt Arucard's presence in the room.

"It's some kind of shadow wraith. It watched us kill a few stupid vamps, then left. I don't know why it didn't attack us though. It didn't seem too picky about the vampires it's slaughtered before." He replied.

"It? Not he? Are you unsure of the gender?" Asked Integra.

"Do shadow wraiths have gender?" he countered.

"Maybe. We'll just say he for convenience sake. Did you see anything?"

"No. Though there was a very strong presence, it completely surrounded us. I'm going out again tonight to look around. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky."

"And Victoria?"

"She preformed beautifully."

"I see."

She dismissed him with a wave of her hand, and went back to her staff lists.

*

Seras was quite happy to have gone out on the town with her master; he even let her keep the gun he'd given her. He'd said he'd get another one from Walter. She briefly wondered where the older man was, but knew she shouldn't go looking for him. With the loss the Hellsing organization had taken, he was very busy, always running tasks for Sir Integra. She gathered up her money and tucked her new gun into her coat as she'd done the night before and headed out into the city.

She decided to go over to the large mall and try to find a painting for her room, something scenic, preferably in pastels. She walked quickly along the sidewalk, carefully avoiding any puddles. She made it to the mall with moonlight to spare and headed inside.

*

Malikai was at the mall, his new position would require a few things and he'd stepped out to get them. He hated malls, they crawled with teenagers, all trying to make some bold statement with their clothes and hair and piercings. He had no idea what they were trying to say to the world, and neither did they as far as he could tell. He walked along the halls, drinking his watered down mall coffee and hunted for the various supplies he'd need in this god forsaken hellhole of modern British society.

He really hoped his office wasn't like this, full of people scurrying about like chickens with their heads cut off. Oh well, nothing he could do about it if it were. He spotted a pretty blonde as she ducked into one of those too small art galleries and followed her.

He watched as she walked with feline grace to the far wall, a selection of oil paintings ala Van Gough displayed on mock easels. She stared at a scene of a blissfully lighted glen full of flowers and thick grass, a stream cutting through the middle and a fluffy brown rabbit nibbling on the petals of a wild daisy.

"Lovely, isn't it?" he asked, coming to stand behind her.

"Oh! Yes it is." She said as she turned to look at him. She was such a tiny thing, with short blonde hair and ruby colored eyes. They didn't fit her pretty face, as if they should have been a different color, something softer, more innocent. She was still very beautiful though, with a full figure and a ready smile.

"I'm sorry, I'm Malikai Olsen. A pleasure to meet you." He held out his hand and she took it hastily, shaking very quickly. Her fingers were as cold as ice.

"Seras Victoria. A pleasure." She said, her accent making her sound like a child. It was absolutely adorable.

They smiled warmly at each other for a moment before making polite conversation about any thing and everything. She learned of his teaching and he of her police work. Neither mentioned they were part of a secret organization designed to rid England of the undead. Oh well, they'd find out soon enough.

Seras bought the painting and carried it under her arm as they walked, chatting idly. He was somehow soothed and fascinated with her presence and was content to let her lead him blindly down the streets, stopping a local café for fresh coffee. The hour drew nearer to midnight and he offered to walk her home.

"Oh of course, I'd really like that." She said happily, twirling around with her painting under her arm and skipping to his side.

He smiled, a quick quirking of his lips, and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"You know…no never mind."

"What?" he asked.

"No it's nothing."

"You have to tell me now, you can't just leave me hanging like this Seras."

She loved it when he said her name. He made it sound so much more exotic than it was. They continued down the empty parkway in silence, only the scuffing of their shoes to fill the night. He waited patiently for her to gather her thoughts, sending her a glance every now and then.

"It's just that…you…well, you don't seem to be the type of man who'd spend their time with a girl like me. Don't you like all those ritzy well-to-do women? You know the one's, proper ladies." She ducked her head as she spoke, hiding behind her bangs and staring intently and her moving feet. `One in front of the other, walk, walk, no don't look at him, he'll laugh so hard when he sees your face.'

"Proper ladies huh? No, I can't stand stuffy girls like that. They're too much like me, and I think I'd go crazy if I had to spend too much time with myself." He said with a smile.

When she'd gathered up enough courage to look at him, he was still smiling; looking at her with jade green eyes. If she'd had the blood to spare she'd have blushed. `Must drink blood when I get home, if only to look decent the next time I see him.' She thought.

She `meeped' and covered her mouth with her free hand, her arm brushing against the solid weight of the gun in her coat.

"Something wrong?" he asked, looking at her adorably embarrassed face. She didn't blush though, and he couldn't seem to grasp why that wasn't quite right.

She shook her head violently, her corn silk hair whipping across her face.

`Next time…'

*

Arucard was bored out of his mind. After two thousand years of life, this was a rather common occurrence. With half a thought he found his master sitting at her desk having tea with Walter and discussing a pack of rouges that he'd probably end up dealing with.

Humans were so boring. All they did was sit around all day and make plans.

With the other half of the previous thought, he found his fledgling and nearly fell out of his seat. His child was…was…flirting, god how he detested that word, with a human of all things! A human! Unacceptable! Weren't fledgling vampires suppose to fall for their masters?

He growled, baring his fangs to a passing maid. The woman fainted, and he left her in the hall. He stalked to the wall and kept walking right through it and ended up coming up through the floor of his master's office.

"I'm going out to find the police girl." He hissed before sliding back down and walking out the wall of the building and falling the rest of the way to the ground below.

A human! Didn't the girl have enough brains to realize that relationships like that just didn't ever work? The whelp would die before she knew it and she'd come sobbing to him and then what was he suppose to do? Two thousand years of walking this earth and there were still things that remained a total mystery to him. Crying women that he couldn't kill was one of those things.

He paced the walkways with the nervous energy of a caged tiger, oh how sweet it would be to walk right up to the mortal and put a bullet in his skull. Miserable bastard wouldn't even know what hit him.

But no, the police girl might not like that and as much as he ignored her, he did care about her. She was his child after all. Better see how much she really likes the human before plugging him and ditching the body somewhere. He'd heard wonderful things about how much free space the Vatican had.

He swept her mind again and gagged. She really liked him.

Damn.

This could complicate things. Maybe if he could permanently hospitalize him or something…

He poked his head out of the shadows and watched as they passed, her arm looped through his.

He dared to touch her…screw hospitalized; he'd put the ingrate in a coma.

"Seras, can I see you again tomorrow night? Walk the park with me?"

The human had one of those deep, rolling voices that girls always swooned over. He was actually quite good looking now that he stopped to notice. It was no wonder his child had fallen for him. He took a moment to feel a twinge of pride for the girl's taste before going back to hating him.

So his little girl had fallen in love (gag, choke, someone shoot me) with the human.

"Of course. I'd like that." Said Seras and he could feel her heart speed up and the little nervous butterflies in her stomach as if they were his own.

He slid along in the shadows, matching them as they walked closer to the Hellsing house and grew more agitated with every passing second. He could feel the ache in her chest grow as she drifted nearer to him and hear the beating of his heart, smell his heated blood.

Oh, if that insolent cretin tried something with his little girl…he'd make the fool a vampire and torture the insufferable little brat for the rest of eternity.

The wicked, psychotic smile he usually wore came back to his face as he envisioned the sight of it. It would be glorious, all that blood…

He shivered and settled down to watch them as they approached the main gate.

"Hellsing House?" asked the human, drawing his child to his side with an arm around her waist. Slimy dog, he'd pay for that.

"Um, yes, this is where I live." Said Seras. Stupid.

"I start working here tomorrow. I'm leading the Information Division." He said casually, not looking at her.

"You are? That's wonderful! That's the division I work in. Or really not work in because the man who heads it now completely ignores my existence."

"Well, that most certainly will change. I expect you to report for duty tomorrow." He said with one of those beautiful smiles you knew was practiced. Ok, maybe it was natural but for sake of the argument, it was fake.

"Oh, um…about that…" said Seras.

Oh lovely! He didn't know she was a vampire, the situation was salvageable yet. Without really thinking about it, he stepped out of the shadows and stood shockingly close to them.

"Police girl." He said, startling them both. He loved doing that. Even after a thousand years, some things just never got old.

"Master!"

"Master?"

"The night wanes, and we must hunt. Say good-bye to your human and go change into your uniform. Bring the weapon I gave you last night and meet me here in ten minutes." He ordered.

"Yes master. Goodnight Malikai, I'll see tomorrow night." With that she turned and fled, pushing open the heavy iron gate with a careless swipe of her hand and rushing up the steps to carry out her orders.

He watched her go with his maniac smile and was tickled pink that he'd had the foresight to interrupt them before they did something stupid, like kiss goodnight. He'd have to put a gun to his own head if he ever had the misfortune of witnessing that. Not that the bullet would do much. Oh well, it's the thought that counts.

The human, Malikai, gave him a searching look before bowing slightly.

"You are Arucard, the vampire bound to Sir Integra." He said, a question that didn't need answering.

He nodded once to himself, before turning on his heel and walking away.

Arucard watching his retreating back and grinned. The fool was joining Hellsing. Maybe he could ju~st slip and let a bullet hit him on a mission one night. It would serve the wretch right for touching his child. Until then he could amuse himself with playing pranks on the twit.

*

End Part 2