Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Life in the Gloom ❯ Sentinel ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Sentinel”
 
 
When Walter brought the car around, she noticed that there were two more passengers than she was expecting.  Integra nearly went back inside the compound to call Maxwell and reschedule. Instead she wrenched open the Rolls Royce's back door and slid into the seat with anger in her expression.  She turned a fuming glare to her vampire.  “What the hell do you think you're doing?”
 
Alucard smirked, “What a silly question.”
 
“Really?” Integra replied as Walter, tactful as usual and silent as she smouldered, drove forward.   In the front passenger's seat, Seras chewed a fingernail and looked nervous.
 
“Hm,” Alucard intoned, “You're not going to meet with Iscariot's head without proper protection.”
 
She made a sound of irritation and rolled down the window on her side halfway.  “Don't be so melodramatic,” she snapped, “It's broad bloody daylight and I'm meeting Maxwell in a very public place.  He won't try anything.”
 
“Don't be so naïve.  Have you already forgotten what happened in Patrick?”
 
Integra nearly cuffed him; instead she pulled out a metal case from the inner pocket of her blazer.  She extracted a cigarillo and lit it.  “I don't believe anyone's called me naïve since I was a child.”
 
Alucard chuckled softly, “And I believe that I was the last person to do so.”
 
She gave him a hard look, “Your very presence might completely foul this arrangement up.”
 
Seras spoke up, looking into the rearview mirror as a poor excuse for eye contact, “Don't be mad, Sir Integra!  We just want to keep you safe.”  More to herself she muttered, “Those Catholics are a bloody bad lot.”
 
“Think on it,” Alucard added smoothly, his eyes meeting Integra's from behind ruby lenses, “If Anderson's behaviour is any indication on how Iscariot usually works, I can only imagine what their leader is like.”
 
She sighed softly.  He had a point; she hated it when he was right.  “Fine,” Integra relented, she took a deep drag off her cigarillo, “but unless something happens you and Seras will stay out of sight.”
 
Alucard nodded, “Fair enough.”
 
Integra glanced over at him and felt comforted by his presence despite her misgivings.  If she needed anything in this world right now, it was support from those close to her.
 
Thank you.
 
Alucard favoured her with a knowing look.  She felt his hand slide over the one that lay prostrate on her lap.  For a long moment, Integra stared down at his long, elegant hand covering hers.  Usually she didn't approve of such gestures of affection in public, but she let him be today.  Acknowledging it would stir more attention anyway.
 
You are always welcome…my master.
 
 
Finis.