Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ San Graal ❯ Homecoming ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Look, Maddy," A heavy sigh crossed Aiden's lips as he leaned his back against the wall, chin tilted up as he basked in the sunlight streaming through his office window, the telephone's receiver brushing against his lips. "I know I promised that I'd go to Cornwall with you today, but you need to understand, I've been awake for seventy-two hours straight between the academy and my- Maddy?" Growling, he pressed the power button on the phone, placing a few well-timed expletives in his solitary speech as he returned to his desk.

Great. Ever since his ordination as leader of the Hellsing Organization, Aiden's life outside of his duty suffered more than his young mind had contemplated. There would never be parties, friends, or holidays ever again as long as an inhuman threat plagued any part of the world.

Then again, today could be a great day. The last contingent of ghouls from the inner-city mutation debacle had been eradicated the previous night leaving no work for the Hellsing leader to finish during the daylight hours, and it was a Saturday, so he would not have to attend classes at the academy. He would sleep until sunset and study during the night.

Such was the requirement for a child-leader of Hellsing.

Placing the phone back in the charger, he slowly moved from the office, hands buried deep inside trouser pockets. The hallways were spotless, as always. Stephen deserved a holiday for his hard work- he would inform the retainer as soon as he crossed the man's path.

The cream colored walls of the master bedroom were drearily upbeat as the boy-leader liked to call them, sunlight trying in vain to penetrate the heavy draperies that covered the windows. Years of cigar smoke had yellowed the paint unevenly, yet he refused to allow anyone to refinish the walls. Pastel tapestries which covered the walls had also been tinted with the same yellowish stain that engulfed the room, and the light blue carpet had obviously seen much better times.

The budget never allowed for luxuries such as redecorating the master bedroom, so jokingly he learned to adore one of the most grand, and yet most dilapidated rooms in the entire building, making it his own since his fifth birthday.

"I wish you would just forget that Radclyffe girl."

Stepping out of the darkened corner near the closet, Argetni smirked as she stared at the boy as he undressed, keeping his back to the vampire, fully aware that her prying eyes were taking in every inch of exposed flesh, her base needs screaming to attack the child and claim him, for noble, pure blood coursed through his veins.

It did not matter that he was her child; that she would be committing so many crimes against nature, no. The demonic instinct increased the bloodlust while around the boy to maddening levels. Why hadn't he bedded a girl yet? His generation seemed to consider sex a game to be played at pre-pubescent birthday celebrations, not something to wait until marriage, or even the later teenage years.

"Your thoughts betray you again Mum. I've told you numerous times to feed before coming to my quarters."

Slipping a wine-colored robe over his shoulders and quickly belting it around his waist, he moved to the bath, washing his face in the warm water as he stared at his reflection. The past few days spent in the sun rejuvenated the rich mocha tone of his skin, and he smiled at himself, just momentarily, pleased with his appearance.

"I came to bring you some ambrosia."

"It's already that time again? Wonderful." Finishing with his bedtime rituals, Aiden returned to the bed, sitting on the edge as he watched Argetni fill a wine glass from a half-full carafe for the child, handing him the intoxicating liquid before turning to leave the room. "I am not certain if you will have a mission tonight, but stay here until one tomorrow morning and then you can haunt the pubs, if that is your pleasure."

Waiting, watching, she smirked as the boy drank from the glass, amused that he reveled in the drink much the same as she would. He was more vampiric than his elder sister could have ever imagined becoming, and yet he was not in any other way a vampire.

It was time for her to leave the boy to his daily slumber, to allow him the much needed rest before continuing his duty to the Organization.

Tomorrow would be filled with new threats, new dilemmas; she could feel the vampiric presence crossing the vast ocean as she watched her child.

He would be blessed with being blissfully unaware of the situation until it warranted his concern, and if the vampire was the one she suspected to make such a journey, Aiden may never know about the arrival of another undead to his fair island home.

"I suggest you heed my advice, my Master."

With a chuckle, the Vampire Argetni had disappeared from the room, leaving the boy-leader of Hellsing alone with his dreams.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I never thought I could be so happy about returning home." The comment was filled with wonder as the vampire viewed the modern streets of London, taking in the garish glow of illuminated signs intermixed with the antique and picturesque landmarks of the city. It was grotesque and brilliant at the same instant, the way only London could ever be to one that had seen it grow over the past century.

"It hasn't changed that much since I was here last."

Crimson eyes turned to glare up at emerald, annoyance visible on the female's face. This was her city, and she had been denied the privilege of residing on native soil for so long. She could not let her companion ruin the moment.

"You were here five years ago on holiday before heading to Ireland."

He chuckled, hands pushed deep in to fleece-lined coat pockets. "So I was. Do you know if Argetni sensed either of us yet?"

"No, she couldn't have. She'd be here already."

Silence descended upon the two, stepping unhindered toward the underground station that would take them to the city limits. From there, the walk to Hellsing Manor would be relatively short; neither would be inconvenienced by the kilometer hike at the end of the train ride.

Mortals did not even seem to take note of the two as they passed. There were always much more unusual sights to behold on the city's streets than a priest and a well-dressed woman walking together.

They passed to the ticket machines unhindered, pressing the all too familiar code for the stop on the keypad before entering a few coins in to the slot, and then carefully tearing the tickets away as they emerged a few moments later.

Seras Victoria smiled as she entered the train car, sitting near a window to observe the city as it passed; to reminisce about years long passed spent in the mortal realm.

Her companion would remain quiet until they arrived at their destination. That was the nature of the priest.

She, however, would speak to any mortal that would listen to her tales of life in America, of its tedious obsessions and degradations of its own culture, and how it could never even hope to compare to her home, her London.

The prodigal child of the night could only hope her master would be waiting with open arms for her return.

~*~*~*~*~*~

She had been correct. Seras Victoria was the one she had detected traveling over the ocean so many hours before.

Argetni smirked as she pushed away from the wall of the brightly lit underground station, coolly stepping up the stairs toward the city above, hands pushed deep in to the pockets of her leather jacket, holding it tightly around her body, appearing to protect herself from the icy winter winds.

Seras was dreaming of Alucard. The police girl was still such a fool. Alucard had disappeared nearly at the same time she moved to America with Lillith, not to be seen or detected once over the years.

He was probably asleep; bored with the modern world like so many vampires that Hellsing allowed to live had done in the past. Not that she allowed any vampires to live within her territory; her fanaticism for the destruction of the creatures of the night being the only vestiges of her humanity remaining in her current lifestyle.

Mortals turned their heads to look at the tall ashen-skinned blond as she tread the sidewalks at a mortal's pace. Men wanted her, women hated her, but all stared at her beauty. So was the nature of her kind- to entice without effort. The stares meant nothing anymore, now easily ignored after years of practice.

The ignorant masses had never been able to identify Argetni for what she truly was. Some believed her to be a woman of the evening, others believed that she was a member of high society, well-bred and schooled in the finer aspects of life, now rebelling against her family and position the only way she could.

Such thoughts amused her as she moved through a darkened alley, keen ears still listening to the train Seras and her companion were aboard as it continued moving toward the station that led near Hellsing manor. The train would arrive shortly, and she would be waiting to greet her former servant with a simple message to leave before she was forced to kill.

In an instant, Argetni melded into the darkness, reappearing in the shadows of a cluster of trees just outside of the station where the train carrying Seras and her companion had just arrived.

The vampire and her friend were currently exiting the train. Wonderful. Argetni could use whatever technique suited the tone of the meeting to intimidate and force the two to leave the country, and her master would be oblivious to her personal mission.

Unless, of course, he was currently calling to her with a feeble attempt at creating a mind link with his vampire, and requested her services immediately.

Hell, Aiden could wait. Pleasure before business, naturally.

"I'm not sure it would really be a good idea to walk up to the property gates and ask one of the soldiers to let us in." Seras stated, tone not apprehensive, only collected as she pushed the station's door open with her large purple suitcase, stepping backward in to the moonlight. "Argetni, if she's still around, never was pleased with me while I was in her service."

"And though not currently in the service of the Hellsing Organization, you still manage to displease me, Miss Victoria."

A smirk spread across the taller vampire's lips as Seras yelped involuntarily, dropping the suitcase in her fright. It was quite obvious that she had not been using her abilities at all, otherwise she could have detected Argetni standing just outside the door.

How amusing. Not only did she still fantasize of Alucard, Seras still refused to become as powerful as her kind could.

"Sir Integ-" Seras stopped, gaze leveling upon the creature in front of her, "Argetni. To what do we owe this pleasure?"

Humility. Servitude. Alucard had not created a true undead with this girl, but a glorified ghoul, a being lower than the FREAK chipped parasites.

"You trespass on my territory and yet you ask why I would investigate?" Painted lips parted as laughter emerged. Argetni's amusement with the situation only increased with every passing moment, the laughter growing increasingly louder as she stepped toward the girl, placing her gloved hands upon covered shoulders. "You are a simple creature, Police Girl, unworthy of the blood that gave you life anew."
They stood, motionless for what seemed an eternity, locked in each other's hellish eyes. Joseph could only watch, not wanting to interfere with the legendary vampire of his lifetime, the great, unyielding Argetni. Section Thirteen had described her perfectly, and he was terrified.

But there was to be no display of power tonight, just a prolonged staring match until the aggressor replaced her hands in her pockets, eyes remaining fixed on the vampire in front of her.

"You have been warned. Leave this country before I am forced to destroy you, and trust me, I will revel in the kill, Police Girl."

The comment was drawn out, mockingly, hanging in the silence before the night was broken by the laughter of the madwoman. Immediately, Seras was alone, save for Father Czani, and the realization slammed in to her harder than any physical attack Argetni could have launched upon the vampire. Alucard was gone; she could feel it, leaving Argetni alone to run rampant through the world as if it were hers to nurture or destroy.

Leaving England was no longer an option. Seras needed to see what had become of Hellsing in the absence of both Alucard and Sir Integra. Surely, the supposed child-leader was no match mentally or physically for the lunatic creation that had once been the greatest leader Hellsing could have wished for.

"Master. . . .what have you done?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

Author's Notes

Since apparently some things still need explanation, I will do my best to help answer your questions when they arise.

1. Does San Graal take place before, after, or concurrently to Distance?

San Graal replaces Distance. I did not wish to continue with the Dis- titles, as there is not a Dis- word I can think of to describe the ideas surrounding this story. San Graal is actually a play-on-words, a semi-easy one, if you think about it. So forget about Distance. I'm pulling it from the account at approximately the completion of the fourth chapter of this story.

2. Have you ever read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown?

Nope. I want to, but I haven't, though from what I've read, he's sensationalized the entire concept more than necessary. All ideas and traditions are taken from multiple Rosicrucian, Star Fire, Gnostic, Islamic, and other relevant texts. The two main sources of information that I am using are Holy Blood Holy Grail and The Messianic Legacy by Baigent, Leigh, and Lincoln. They're great reads, and I will probably quote them from time to time in later chapters.

3. Isn't Argetni supposed to be dead?

She's her good ol' undead self once again, seeing as how none of the events of Distance ever occurred in this story.

4. Where did Alucard/Anderson/insert random character here go?

If they haven't been mentioned yet, just trust that they're somewhere out there living their lives/unlives. That's all you're getting at this point. And if I feel any of the canon characters are too minor to add into this story, then they will be omitted. That's just how it's going to go this time.