Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ San Graal ❯ The Order ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It had been the second sleepless night in a row for Aiden, this time not spent in a hospital, but in the basement archives searching for any document that could possibly include any information of Seras Victoria or Abraham's instructor.

He could feel Argetni touch his mind quite a few times during the night, and each time he tried his best to project an image of the vampire he had met before returning home as to not inform her of the true objective of the search. Certainly, it was important to know exactly what Miss Victoria was capable of doing to his fair country, but to his child's mind the validity of his mother's lessons throughout the years seemed more important.

The search for Miss Victoria proved more fruitful than the search for Abraham's early life. In a log kept by Ddollneazz, her name was mentioned numerous times, as well as the fact that she joined Hellsing as a vampire. Drawing the conclusion that his mother, while still mortal, was too preoccupied with leading the Organization to keep trivial daily activity logs, Aiden decided that the vampire he recently spoke to was indeed what she claimed to be.

Her powers remained unknown, but he could safely assume that since Argetni did not perceive her as a threat, she was less powerful than his mother.

As for Abraham, certainly he did something to upset either the Royal Family or some high ranking government official to warrant his forced exile from Holland. Though what he could have done to upset the Dutch leaders was never mentioned once in any of his journals between Tepes' capture and his death. He must have been quite disgraced by whatever he had done to speak of the event afterwards.

Usually when he searched the archives, his mother would periodically visit to check his progress or give hints to expediate his search, but Argetni never appeared in the archives once, nor did she disrupt his breakfast, shower, or commute to the Academy.

It was highly unusual for her to leave him alone for so many hours, but Aiden welcomed the blessing of her absence. He could relax, with only the worries of a normal student weighing on his mind for a few hours.

The Academy of St. Sebastian had not been the first choice for Aiden's traditional education, but with his recent appointment to both the Royal Protestant Knights and the head of the Hellsing family, he could not travel hours away to the southwestern shores of the country as he had done in the lower levels. His mother had not liked the choice of a formerly Catholic institution for her son's education, but Aiden assured her that if Sir Aislan's son and Sir Radclyffe's daughter both were enrolled there, religion would not be a problem.

The room where his first class met was already filled with students in the usual grey jacket and pant sets accented by a federal blue tie, most clacking the keys of the computers in front of them as they finished their homework from the previous day.

His seat was near the back of the room, next to his friend Nigel Wilkes, a broad shouldered, orange haired young man who was currently smiling about whatever was on his monitor's screen. Quietly, he slid in to his chair as the professor skimmed a book, only looking up as the tone sounded to officially start the school day.

"Good morning." The professor stood from his desk as Aiden turned his computer on, shoving a miniscule disk in to its side as the machine whirred to life. "I am only half way through your term papers, and I must say the majority of those I have read are dismal. It is pathetic enough that most of you couldn't tell me the order of monarchs starting with Queen Elizabeth II to the present, let alone not being able to write a fifteen page essay about one law passed between 1990 and 2000."

A collective groan echoed through the room as the students looked between each other. Aiden was not immune to such behavior, shrugging at Nigel halfheartedly when his friend turned toward him.

"Of course, I did read one excellent essay last night. Miss Radclyffe, your insight into Freemasonry as related to your topic was quite, enlightening." Looking over his glasses toward the empty seat just opposite Aiden, Professor Hall furrowed his brows in contemplation before speaking once again. "Where is Miss Radclyffe?"

He had been hoping someone else would raise their hand; one of Maddy's other friends, but the class all looked to him, so with a sigh, Aiden raised his hand just slightly above his desk.

"Yes, Sir Hellsing?"

"Madelen is in the hospital, professor."

The gasps from most of his female classmates surprised him- surely Charlie had informed the school and her closest friends of the accident. But no sooner had he stopped speaking, a few of the girls crowded around his desk demanding to know what was wrong.

"Back to your seats!" Professor Hall shouted over the voices of the girls waiting for the latest gossip, and as they all backed away, Aiden sighed again, happy to be rid of the frenzied mob. Once order had been restored to the class, the professor turned toward Aiden, folding his hands as he sat in the larger wooden chair behind his desk.

"Why is Miss Radclyffe in the hospital?"

Sighing once again, Aiden closed his eyes as he lowered his head, hands folded neatly upon his lap. "Madelen came to visit me two days ago, insisting that we go on a hack. Her horse slipped on the stone leading from the stable and fell, hitting her head in to the wall, then the floor. She's still unconscious."

The entire class remained silent for a few moments, then slowly some students whispered their thoughts about the accident to one another, but Professor Hall did not stop the noise as he usually would. Instead, he stood from his chair and walked to Aiden, placing a hand upon his shoulder.

"Would you like to be excused from class?"

"Yes, professor."

The elderly man nodded, patting the boy's shoulder before stepping back toward his desk. "I'll inform the rest of your instructors. Take care Aiden."

ooo

"Still no change? Alright. I'll keep praying. Cheers." Flipping his mobile shut, Aiden leaned back against his headboard, knees drawn close to his chest to balance Morals and Dogma upon them.

The book was meaningless; written by some half-witted American to elicit a reaction from the Puritanistic-like judgment of his time. No one was ignorant enough to believe the true Ancient Scottish Rite actually existed in the Americas, let alone was led by some heretic.

The old Rite was a division of Freemasonry, which if his memory served him correctly, was a branch of the ancient Knights Templar, who were altogether a Christian order, despite a few odd beliefs held by a minority of its membership. The Americans had created a bastardized version of Freemasonry, calling for benevolent acts and other rubbish, but no matter what was written in this book, his opinion would not be changed. Even Sir Radclyffe was allowed to be cynical about religion at the moment because of Maddy's ailment, but as he had said the night before, the Radclyffe's had to be a staunch Christian family to have been accepted in to the Royal Protestant Knights.

Besides, Aiden assured himself, the New Rite which was created after the collapse of Freemasonry in the late 2050's was merely a library for the antique and obscure.

The book hit the floor with a muffled thud as he thrust it aside, his head taking its place upon his knees. Argetni was asleep, Stephen was out; he was virtually alone in the vast expanse of the manor.

He jumped as his mobile chimed, looking down at the tiny phone before picking it up, masking all emotion in his voice before he spoke. Sir Elwood, the current leader of MI-5, had apparently found his private number.

"This had better be important James." Aiden hissed in to the mobile, covering the receiver just slightly with his hand. "I stay at the academy until four. You're interrupting my literature lesson."

"I apologize for the intrusion Aiden, but we have just received information that a small but powerful group of Irish Loyalists have found some old technology that your lot might be interested in. We have either a vampire or a serial killer that drains all the blood from his victims through tiny wounds on their necks currently running rampant near Ballymacarrett. This just seemed like an assignment fit for Hellsing."

The FREAK chip must have been discovered again, which was nothing of major importance. Why should he bother Argetni with such simple tasks? A few FREAKS would only serve to feed her boredom, not alleviate it for a moment.

"Where are they now? And how many are confirmed dead?"

"The locals have found five bodies that were first drained of their blood, then decapitated. We would have called you sooner, but they did not notice the blood loss before the fatal injury until the most recent victim."

He removed his hand from the receiver, groaning while leaning back against the headboard, feet now upon the mattress. "Where are the monsters? Catholic or Protestant territory?"

"My apologies, but they are obviously in Catholic territory. The vampires have yet to leave their own religion and fanatic hate for Protestants, so much has been apparent by their choice of victims and the symbols they paint in blood upon the bodies and ground around each corpse. The victims have all been administrators or officials of the Anglican Church."

"I would have to break a century-old treaty with the Vatican to assist with this mission. I do apologize for the inconvenience, but I do not wish to anger any association with Alexander Anderson as its leader." The hand holding the mobile dropped to the bed, only lightly grasping the phone.

"Wait! Aiden! Hear me out!" Sighing, he brought the mobile back to his ear, confirming his presence with a curt reply. He was not to move in Catholic territory, no matter what. It was only in this manner that Iscariot left Hellsing alone. "The last murder was witnessed by one of our undercover agents. The assailant is said to have been dressed in red Victorian garments, with pallid skin tones and nearly white hair. His height was near yours; which as you know, not many men or women are nearly two meters.

"The agent says that the assailant noticed him, but instead of attacking turned and walked from the nearly dead victim; a deep laugh filling the night as he disappeared into the dark."

"Did he paint any of the symbols or leave any sort of calling card after his kill?"

"No, Sir. The victim was left to die slowly, but the assailant did not remain with the man."

"I need to return to class," the boy whispered, placing his free hand over the receiver. "but I will call you as soon as I discuss the matter with my commanders. Good day."

Turning the mobile's power off, Aiden returned to resting his chin upon his knees, arms wrapped innocently around his legs. Was he not so tall, he would appear childish; a boy lost in the worst thoughts one his age could dream.

If Sir Elwood's witness was to be trusted, the description of the assailant could only describe one vampire- Alucard. Yet it was careless for the vampire to be spotted by an MI-5 agent as he fed, unless he wanted all of the Round Table to know of his reemergence, including the Hellsing Organization and its charges.

"Quit moping. You look like such a child when you are like this."

Sapphire eyes rolled up to glare at the vampiress standing at the foot of the bed. Her outfit was conservative tonight- a lavender blouse and navy trousers, and her hair was once again willed short, in a crisp bob.

The words started as a breathless whisper, becoming even less audible as he continued; chin still resting upon his knees. "Too much is happening. You shouldn't have given Hellsing to me yet. I'm not ready."

"I do not make mistakes, Master."

His features hardened as he released his legs, sitting normally against the headboard. "I wish to speak with you as your son, Integra. Not as your commander."

She smirked before fits of laughter echoed through his mind. He would be sick if she did not stop, and Argetni knew this. Alucard had done the same to her.

Oh, it was such joy to lead the dance. . . . . .

"Speak then. I will listen as you wish, only if you speak like a man, not a blubbering child."

"Very well." An exasperated sigh escaped the boy's lips as he stood, smoothing his tie then hair before folding his arms across his chest, eyes fixed upon Argetni. "I can safely assume that you know why Sir Elwood called. I also assume that you know what Sir Radclyffe wishes for me to do. I am conflicted in which course of action I should engage for both."

Holding his gaze, she then nodded in understanding, though the smirk did not recede. "It is for you to determine your future, Aiden, but be warned- while I despise both Catholics and the Radclyffe family- I cannot stress the fact that both will want you dead before you have the opportunity to sire an heir so they can take what is rightfully yours, including your pride and dignity."

The stood in silence as the minutes passed, yet it was not awkward. Outside the room the servants were beginning their afternoon rounds, pushing carts filled with cleaning supplies through the aisle toward the unused guest rooms.

"Do you believe that your maker is the one that instigated the crimes?"

The piercing laugh came again as Argetni began to fade into the shadows. "What I believe is of no importance to mortals."