Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ Outplayed ❯ Didn't you see that ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

As you probably know, I don't own Hikaru no Go and appreciate the owners letting me play in their universe. I definitely make NO money from this fic.
--
===
== 
-- - -
This scene takes place immediately after the fight between Akira and Ichiryu from chapter 151. Hikaru came in to watch the game and then Ichiryu lost and stormed out in anger. In the canon everyone leaves, but this supposes that everyone but Ichiryu sit down to discuss the game rather than leaving immediately.
-- --
Hikaru came in and quietly sat down to observe the remainder of the game. He wanted to see a match in the leagues and this was a match between Ichiryu and Akira in the Honinbou League. He also wanted as much experience as possible with Akira's games. He knew he needed to know his adversary to defeat him. He immediately realized that Akira was in trouble. Ichiryu had him in a tight spot and he needed to both escape and attack at the same time. Then Hikaru took a deep breath in, let it out slowly and took another look at the board. He suddenly saw the solution. If Akira would just play that one point, he could protect the threatened stones and also threaten that one group of Ichiryu's. He could turn around the game in that one move.
Akira's hand went out and 'pa chi, the stone was placed right where Hikaru had been looking. That one move was the turn around in the game. Ichiryu continued to fight for a while, then stewed and studied in anger before finally admitting defeat. He stalked out of the room in frustration and anger. He was unable to face the fact that he had been defeated by a pro who was still in middle school.
Akira looked up at the people who were still in room. Shindou was among them. “Shall we discuss the game?” he asked. Serizawa-sensai sat down with Hikaru and Akira by the goban. Nogi-sensei stayed where he was but was clearly observing the board. Serizawa pointed out the move which saved the match and led to Akira's win.
“I did not see that move. No one in the room saw that move but you Touya-kun. It was quite insightful.” Actually, he thought it was an astonishing piece of insight but didn't want to say that out loud. Nogi nodded in agreement. They were both more worried than they wanted to admit about the threat of Akira to the current high dan players. After all, even though Serizawa was in the lead in the Honinbou League with 3 wins and 2 losses to Akira's 3 losses and 2 wins, for Akira Touya to even get to the Honinbou League and be contending while still in middle school was unprecedented. Nogi was more than concerned about the threat Akira would be when he had even a few more years of experience. Meanwhile, Hikaru was studying the board and drawing a line along the path.
“Is that true?” Akira asked. He looked up.
“Yes,” Nogi admitted. “I did not see that move, but one who is playing a game often sees farther than the observers.” Nogi excused himself.
“Is that true, Shindou?” Akira asked and Hikaru looked up.
“Hmm?”
“Is it true that no one else in the room saw that move except for me?”
Hikaru looked surprised. “You mean the one here where you attached to black? That started the turnaround of the match. Well, no, of course you weren't the only one,” He said. “I saw it when I came in and sat down. You mean you two didn't notice it?” He looked at the two high dan pros. “I was worried for a minute that you wouldn't see it, Touya, but you did.” Akira just nodded at him before Hikaru continued. “You almost missed it. Of course, after that move and the response by Ichiryu here, I would have played the stone here, rather than attaching there. It would have been a stronger response and then Ichiryu couldn't have made that defense. My approach would have forced black to respond. You won but my way would have been surer and margin of winning would have been better.”
“What? How would you know what I almost missed? Are you telepathic now? I won didn't I?” Akira huffed. He gave Hikaru a dirty look and his voice was elevated.
“I was watching your face. I could see it in your eyes the moment it came to you. You almost gave up,” Hikaru said. Akira grimaced but could not deny the basic truth of that statement. However, he did find it and that was what was important. Hikaru continued his comments. “
“Yes, but if the next stone went here, then Ichiryu would probably have responded differently and then the next play at this point would have given you this attack and you could have turned the stones there.”
“I see.” Akira considered for a few moments. “No, Ichiryu would not have failed to see such an obvious attack and he could have responded by countering it with a stone at 5-15 followed up by a punch at 3-17.” Akira pointed with his finger. Serizawa looked at the shape and thought `obvious attack?' He hadn't noticed it until Akira had pointed it out.
“My way is much better,” Hikaru insisted, and they continued to argue as to what would have happened in both paths 10 or 15 plays down the line. The hypotheticals got more and more complicated and Akira and Hikaru took turns arguing for their positions and huffing when the other didn't immediately acknowledge the brilliance of the hand.
Serizawa just stared at the goban and then looked up to see Nogi watching him with glazed eyes. One thought went through both their brains.
“Oh My God! There are TWO of them.”