Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ The Pros and Cons of Daydreaming ❯ A few words too many ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The pros and cons of daydreaming


“An appalling insult to a noble and ancient game. Shindou, you are beyond belief.”

It would have been a reproach, the start of an argument, and Hikaru would have found a cutting retaliation within the half second, were it not… that Touya breathed the words softly, jokingly, in a smiling-almost-laughing voice as they lay wrapped around one another. Here and now, under the window, in the glow of early morning, Touya looked beautiful and peaceful, the light making his hair shine and his skin glow in the same colors as the dawn, his hand caressing Hikaru's naked back as though this had already become the most familiar of actions.

Hikaru pulled himself up on one elbow, feeling a pleasant warmth of tiredness though his muscles as he moved. He looked down into Touya's face and countered, softly, “You mean nothing like that ever happened to you when you were thirteen?”

“Of course not,” Touya replied with a teasing tone. “That only happens to people who repress their desires and don't allow themselves to fantasize.” The green in Touya's eyes glinted, dangerously. “Was it always me you were playing in your dream?”

“I wasn't just playing you, I won every game.” Hikaru smiled defiantly. Surprisingly, Touya looked somewhat happy at that. The thought of Touya being pleased at defeat was strange, even if they were only talking about his dreams.

“Clearly, your pre-adolescent subconscious had made an important association already - even if the rest of you took a while to catch on.”

Hikaru closed his eyes for a second as he pushed away unbidden images of he and Touya as chibi-style childhood sweethearts. Romance had long seemed plain silly to him.

As he opened them he thought he saw a momentary change in Touya's expression, like an unvoiced thought, but then Touya was grinning at him and saying, “So now I know why you were so shy of playing me back then!”

Hikaru stiffened, he didn't want to joke about back then, but he didn't want to ruin the mood either. He swallowed his retort, and simply said, “You know that was because of something else entirely.” He sighed. “I wish I hadn't told you about the dreams.”

“No, but this is fascinating.” Touya pushed him gently face down on the futon, and began to work the tightened muscles of his shoulder blades with tiny circular motions of his thumbs. “So,” Touya probed again, “What did he have to say about it?” Hikaru tensed again but said nothing, Touya continued working on his back, his strong hands firm and precise, but gentle. Slowly Hikaru relaxed. “After all,” Touya went on, “He can't very well have missed something like that if he was with you all the time. He was in your head, wouldn't he have known?”

No…No… No… Stop, Hikaru's thoughts insisted. How had he let them veer onto the dubious topic of Sai and sex education? Somewhat riled he replied, “He said that it was absolutely nothing to be ashamed about. It was perfectly normal for young players of my age. That it showed that I was motivated about progressing in my go.”

Hikaru felt Touya's body begin to tremble with suppressed mirth, and then he burst out laughing. Damn him. But before Hikaru could turn around to say something about it, he felt Touya's breath close his ear. "Did he say anything about me?” he whispered. “Did he offer you any romantic advice?”

“No, of course not,” Hikaru retorted. “The dreams were about winning at go, not about you. But-” Touya paused, his hands unmoving on Hikaru's shoulders, “It's true that after that he did lay off hinting about Akari.”

“A-ha!” Touya resumed the massage. “Perhaps Sai understood more than he was letting on.” He started to smooth his hands, one after the other, following the contour of Hikaru's hips, from where they touched the futon up towards his spine. “Do you remember me in the dream, what was I wearing? Err, was I wearing…anything?”

“Stop, I already told you. It wasn't like that. I told you it was about the game.”

“And the game, do you remember it?”

No…no…What did he want? Kifu? “No, I never remembered afterwards.”

“Or perhaps you didn't feel like `recreating the game' for Sai,” Touya suggested, mockingly.

That did it. Hikaru couldn't see Touya's face from where he was laying, but he guessed Touya was enjoying his discomfort. And while he didn't think Touya's comments were made from jealousy, he felt that Touya had gone too far. He took a deep breath.

“Give over. Can't we talk about something else?” He'd revealed an embarrassing secret and now he was feeling terribly vulnerable.

Touya though, seemed oblivious to the effect he'd provoked and was running his hands up the length of Hikaru's back, using just enough pressure so that Hikaru felt his skin being pushed forward like a small wave in front of Touya's fingers. And he was doing an excellent job, because Hikaru was having difficultly staying angry. He tried another tactic, hoping Touya would stop his probing. “Hey Touya, why don't you tell me what you used to dream about?”

What would Touya say to that? Would Touya answer him seriously? He hoped so because when his guard was down like this, Hikaru wanted nothing more than to crawl in close and discover everything that made Touya, Touya.
 
 
~~~