Horror Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Cursed ❯ Bloody Reunion ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
The sun was setting, its orange glow slowly melting into a rich purple; the last of its rays dipping behind the clouds into the horizon. She shuddered, her glazed eyes staring into the sky. Already the moon was rising, the pale orb bathing the dark sky with its white radiance. Her movements were quick as she slithered between the rushing crowds. Her feet so fast until she was nothing but a dark blur. She didn't even pause to catch a breath as the smells and sounds of the city assaulted her senses. She made ripples in the shallow pools of water in the pavement. Nothing mattered now; nothing. The same nothing that threatened to consume what was left of her tired soul. She didn't care what happened to her anymore. She shouldn't even have existed, let alone be alive. She sighed, willing herself to empty her tired mind. That's right; she was tired. That thought played in mind as her eyes followed the ripples that her small feet had made.
 
She was finally here, the cold air familiar to her pale skin. The place had changed a lot, but after being away for so long, it was understandable. She felt lost, and the guilt that she lived with everyday had settled permanently on her chest. If only she had done something more. If she had fought…maybe things would have been better. Maybe he would be alive. She felt the hot tears threaten to spill on her pale cheeks. If only what she felt in her dreams were true. If only it was real.
 
What I'd do…what I'd do to have you here with me again.
 
She sighed, collapsing onto the cemented ground, a pale cheek scraping against the dry gravel. Where was she? It looked like an abandoned apartment. She didn't care. She was so thirsty. So thirsty but she didn't want to drink. It was the reason she froze herself in the first place. So that she wouldn't cause any harm to anybody but herself. Why did she wake? Why couldn't that peace last? She closed her eyes, contemplating the choice dangled in front of her. Ought she to freeze her self permanently? Or perhaps suicide was the answer?
 
It'd be so much easier, wouldn't it? So much more permanent, too, she thought, staring at the dirt that scratched her cheeks.
 
She shuddered and kept silent, not wanting to think about it for the moment. It was a beautiful night, after all. She closed her eyes and allowed temporary enjoyment of the moonlight, the chirping of the night crickets. Even the massive structures that jutted out of the ground seemed to embrace her in an eerie welcome. No one would understand the peace she felt among the ominous feeling of the still, silent area. No one would disturb her now. The same way no one had disturbed her for the past 40 years.
 
Wish you were here to feel this with me.
 
Suddenly, the chorus of the crickets was broken by a slight rustle. Nothing but her inhumanly sharp ears could have caught it. She frowned, not opening her eyes. Probably a hallucination. Something her exhausted mind came up with to prove to her she was on the brink of insanity.
 
I probably need to rest myself permanently soon, she thought idly.
 
That rustles again! It could not have been imagined. It was feet, human feet walking softly on the ground. She opened her second eye, relaxing her mind - it was probably a stray human wandering the abandoned building. But then again, no one could have gotten this far without her knowing it. She should have sensed this person's presence before it came within a half mile radius of her.
 
She let his shadow come into focus, his thoughts and emotion gently pulsing around him, and frowned a second time. That was strange. The human emotions always were wrapped around its being, but this one was so different. It was like he had built a barrier around his emotions, so much so that she couldn't sense what this person was truly feeling. Suddenly, she sensed the being turn to her, his eyes narrowing as his shadow made its way toward her. She gasped, her eyes snapping open.
 
That presence! So familiar, she thought, mind reeling. It's so familiar. It's him, it has to be.
 
Her heart jumped a beat, emotion flooding her for the first time in years. Was it possible? Could he be alive? She shuddered, the thirst suddenly feeling unbearable. Questions, hope, doubt flooded her tired mind.
 
Lisrael? Is that you?” the figure murmured, stepping into the light. Disbelief was clearly written all over his face. She caught her breath, nodding, her breath coming short and labored.
 
He's alive…oh, good God…he's alive.
 
“Are you real?” she muttered. He smiled gently, as if he knew that this would happen. He reached for her hand, but she recoiled.
 
“Don't touch me,” she muttered, her once blue eyes now grey. He shook his head, and lifted her hair away from her eyes.
 
She tried to struggle, but her body didn't respond. She really was getting weaker after all. He stared silently into her weary features and a look of worry passed his face. The marks on her forehead were unusual. Suddenly a shiver that she was trying to suppress made her tremble. She looked away, hoping that he didn't see that moment of weakness. A little while longer and she would be gone for good anyways. She could almost imagine the blood running through his veins as his strong arms held hers tightly. She shuddered again, willing for some of her waning self control. He really was making her feel thirsty. She sighed, letting her arms drop limply to her side. She should concentrate on controlling her thirst. She didn't want to let him see her like this.
 
Sealizar, let me go,” she groaned; her voice breaking.
 
She sighed, her eyes closing. The coughing began to start, as her body convulsed violently. She really was at her limit. The pain was shooting from her heart as the scent of it began to tempt her. She really was so thirsty. He reached out, but she had the sense to swat his hand away.
 
“D-don't…..t-touch…..me,” she breathed, her eyes still shut close. If she wasn't careful, she knew that her instinct to jump him would overcome her. She really needed a bit of blood. Reaching for the blade she always carried, she drew a long line against her arm. She didn't even feel the sting as the silver blade cut through her pale skin. Somewhere in her tired mind, she heard him gasp, but ignored it as she bent down, and drank. She didn't want to hurt him. It was better that she died now.
 
She knew that drinking her own blood didn't do much good since it only made her weaker in the end, but she had to control her thirst. She did not want to hurt her brother when she still needed some answers. She slumped to the floor, her breathing slowing until the only sign of life from her was the faint rising and falling of her chest. She knew this method was only temporary. If she didn't drink, she would eventually fade. She shuddered, trying to control her weak body. Her head was spinning; she really wouldn't last much longer. Part of her was content with her life ending. After living for so long, life grew meaningless. She was cursed after all. She let her head hung from her shoulders, feeling the growing tendrils of death winding around her frail body. She could feel his stare boring into her but she didn't expect him to bend down and offer his hand to her.
 
“How long since you drank Jess?” He asked gently, even though he tried to hide it, she could hear the coldness in his voice, he had change.
 
“I-I can't….remember,” she murmured, her eyes closing again. She tried to ignore his action, but her eyes snapped open when she smelled the familiar tang. Her eyes met the slow drip of blood from the edge of his arm. Beads of the shining liquid were rolling off it alluringly. She shuddered again, shaking her head as her body yearned for the life giving liquid. “S-st…op,” she muttered, her thirst growing uncontrollably. “L-let….me…b-be.”
 
“I'm sorry Jess, I can't let you die yet,” he whispered softly. Slowly he pressed his bleeding arm to her lips. “Drink,” he urged, hoping that she wouldn't refuse. He controlled the urge to tremble when he felt a tongue sweep over his wound. It was gentle and sluggish, but slowly, he felt his blood being absorbed by the pale lips of his sister.
 
Her eyes were closed, and her breathing painfully slow but she was alive. The gentle silver aura that was flickering dangerously minutes ago was slowly strengthening. He could see the light tint of color flowing into her pallid skin. Her white hair was flowing around her face, making her seem unearthly beautiful. The dark clothes that she was wearing contrasted greatly with her hair and skin. He sighed. Sorrow and guilt made his heart plunge. She was so weak. So faded.
 
I'm so sorry, Jess, he thought as he watched her weakly lap his blood. If I'd known you were alive…I would have tried to escape sooner. If I wasn't so wrapped up in my own grief, maybe I would have sensed you earlier.
 
Suddenly her eyes flickered open, breaking him away from his thoughts. “Why couldn't you let me go?” she snapped weakly, her head spinning. Already her eyes looked brighter, her eyes now the familiar blue he was used to seeing.
 
“Because I'm selfish that way,” he whispered gently. He smiled sadly at their bittersweet reunion. “I knew you were alive. I'm sorry I'm late.”
 
But this curse I endure…it's worth seeing you alive, he thought.
 
She turned her pale eyes on him. “I thought you were dead. T-That man…he told me…he told me when I was trying to escape…that he had killed you,” she choked. “It's my fault though,” she said sadly. “I shouldn't have trusted him in the first place,” she turned away. “You have no idea how many people I killed, no idea how much blood I have on my hands,” she whispered.
 
He shook his head, “If anything, it's my fault, I should have done more, made a deal or something,” His voice was cracking, guilt welling up in those sad eyes of his. “I wish I did something more.”
 
“It's not your fault, James. It's not,” her eyes widened insistently.
 
“You have to suffer under this curse, Jess. Tell me how it's not my fault,” he said quietly, letting his hair cover his eyes..
 
Her eyes narrowed, “I told you, it's not your fault. You didn't escape unscathed either brother,” she looked up to him, staring straight into his mismatched eyes, that a long time ago were identical to hers. “Don't lie to me James. We suffered enough; I don't want to live like this anymore.”
 
I let you suffer under that monster, it was my fault. The only way I can make it up to you is to try to start again, both of them thought simultaneously.
 
"When did you do the spell?” she asked.
 
“On our 21st birthday,” he muttered, looking away.
 
She nodded. It made sense. “That was the day I did it as well.” She said quietly. His eyes widened. This was no coincidence; there must be some reason for this. He nodded and extended a hand to her. She took a breath; she had just drunk so she should be immune to his touch. She sighed, and held his hand. It was the first time in years that she had felt something so soft. She smiled.
 
Before the first rays of light reached that deserted place, two figures could be seen disappearing into the haunts of the city, their shadows lingering before it faded completely. They were gone.