Howl's Moving Castle Fan Fiction ❯ Catch a Falling Star ❯ Catch a Falling Star ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters from Howl's Moving Castle. If I did, Howl would be doing wonderful things for me!
 
This was written for the new fanfic_bakeoff community at LiveJournal. The prompt is “Catch” and the requirement is that it be between 100 and 300 words.
 
 
Author's Notes: Takes place fairly early in Howl's Moving Castle - Sophie doesn't know about the relationship between Howl and Calcifer, nor of her own abilities to talk things to life.
 
 
Catch a Falling Star
 
 
Catch a falling star an' put it in your pocket,
Never let it fade away!
Catch a falling star an' put it in your pocket,
Save it for a rainy day!
 
“What? What's that you're saying?” Calcifer asked in a strained voice.
 
Sophie stopped her scrubbing and looked at the fire demon, puzzled. “I was singing, silly - just something to pass the time.”
 
“I don't like the sound of that!” the demon in the hearth exclaimed. “What good comes of catching a star? And why would you put it in your pocket and save it for the rain?”
 
Howl walked down the steps, stretching and yawning. “What's all of the fuss this early in the morning?”
 
Sophie snorted. “Early? It'll be time to fix lunch soon.”
 
Calcifer was gesturing wildly at Sophie. “She wants to catch a falling star and put it in her pocket! Tell her no good will come of it!”
 
“Huh? What are you going on about?” the confused Howl asked.
 
“She wants to save it for a rainy day! The star will die in the rain!”
 
“The star will die in her pocket, Calcifer. You know that they normally die once they hit the ground,” Howl responded.
 
“But Sophie wants to catch it, just like—” the fire demon abruptly stopped himself.
 
“That could be a problem,” Howl muttered, “if Sophie did catch a star.”
 
Sophie was now standing and staring at the two of them. “What are you two going on about? I couldn't catch a falling star if I wanted to! It's just a song.”
 
“Promise me right now you aren't going to try and catch any stars!” Calcifer demanded.
 
“Only if you'll behave and let me cook lunch,” Sophie said.
 
Calcifer immediately backed down. “Okay.”
 
“I promise,” she responded.
 
Even Howl looked relieved.