Howl's Moving Castle Fan Fiction ❯ Flawless Mask ❯ Through his eyes once more ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Penpaninu does not claim to own Howl's Moving Castle in novel or animated form. I mean the rights! I do own a copy of both…
 
“Flawless Mask” chapter three
“Through his Eyes once more”
 
I prop my dark head on my hand and lean to watch my wife sleep. As before, she looks so young and vulnerable while dreaming. My Sophie always slept on her left side if she could help it, her hands pressed against the pillow near her red cheek. As always I smile and lean to kiss that warm cheek. Her breathing evens out and she sighs contently. Her body housed in a white matronly nightgown could not keep her from me and I ease her back into my arms. When her head falls back against my heart housed in flesh, she is roused from sleep.
“Howl?” she asks softly. I kiss her neck with growing passion and my wife stirs against me, sighing. Her hands tighten over mine and our fingers entwine. We can both feel our hearts beating as one unit as we move closer together.
“It's nothing, my heart. Go to sleep.” But I am pleasantly surprised that my wife would not heed my words and press back against me. Markl throws something at our bedroom door at the noise we make.
 
* * * *
 
Mrs. Jones was a nervous client who always wanted pregnancy spells and charms made. She was a regular, and quite possibly, a regular addict of wanting children. I myself could never understand why anyone would want a bundle of mess and noise, but lately, found myself lingering over the notion. Markl still needed strict attention and this brought out my more fatherly instincts.
Still, Mrs. Jones was well off monetarily and our family could always use the money. I was resolved to just make pregnancy noise-charms and throw them her way when she came to inquire to the spells. They would go off and ring all the more annoyingly if she came with child.
The Witch of the Waste stirred and opened one sleepy eye as I walked through the sitting room, charms in hand. “You may want to carry those past Sophie,” she suggested in her cryptic way. I stand there, tall and confused as the Witch winked and went back to sleep. Sometimes old women had funny notions.
 
I pass my wife and almost double over as the charms sound. They were louder than church bells. I grimace and drop them, putting my hands to my ears. Sophie looks up, her face beautiful but confused.
“Howl, what are you doing with those?” she asked. I grin sheepishly at the matronly authority and stoop to pick up the talismans and charms. They were clinging together and generally giving me a headache. Sophie regarded me with one finely arched eyebrow.
“Husband, do I have to ask?” she asked. I couldn't stop looking up and down her slim form.
“Do I?” I retort, and drop the confounded project. They jangled and protested as I wrap Sophie in my arms. “Is there a change in you??”
“Howell Jenkins, have you lost your mind?” Sophie isn't angry however, laughing as I pick her up and twirl her in a circle. Her feet left the floor. “Why are you going on about a change in me when you're acting crazy!”
 
I rub my cheek against hers and seek her lips in a kiss. Sophie murmurs against my noble affections and kisses me again. Footsteps pounded up the stairs near us and we hear the dim exclamations of a young boy.
“Are you two at it AGAIN?” We turn to see our boy tapping one foot imperiously on the wooden floor. I smile indulgently to my student and reach to ruffle his hair. It stood up even higher in the back.
“What's a married couple without their marital bliss?” Sophie commented offhand. I blush an unstately red, allowing Markl to find mirth in my shy appearance.
“We'll track you and your sweetheart down if you don't back down,” I suggest merrily. Markl waves both hands rapidly.
 
“I guess I left myself open for that one. Have you seen those pregnancy charms? Mrs. Jones wants them pronto,” Markl announced. I sigh and gesture to the floor. My student gives an exaggerated sigh and stoops to collect my discarded work. Once he held them up near Sophie, they clanged and jangled annoyingly. I turn red in the face and scrub my neck with one fist as Sophie and Markl turn on me almost in accusation.
 
“She's/I'm pregnant??” They both said at once. I put both hands on my slim hips and laughed aloud with the merriment of it all. And then I felt the warmth coursing through me of the pride that I had made my wife this way. Paternal instinct. It had to be. I guess I was finally grown up enough for it.
Sophie stopped me with two fists beating against my thin chest.
“Wife, whatever are you doing?” I pause between laughs. Sophie pouted up at me and beat me again.
“Why didn't you just tell me that's what you meant by change?? Sometimes you are impossible!” She had to have conceived but recently for her not to notice any major change. Oh well, that's why wizardry is so preferable to mundane methods. We got the facts a lot quicker.
 
“How long before you're huge?” Markl's eyes bugged out as he assessed Sophie's flat stomach. I ruffle his hair and laugh aloud again when his small hands caress his surrogate mother's belly through her dress.
“Not `til later, I hope!” Sophie exclaimed. She hugged Markl and ran a gentle hand through her hair and my heart softened to mush once more. How many times had I myself known this loving gesture, this simple affirmation that she cared? I promise, it is the simplest things that remind me of my heart's depth for her.
 
“No matter how round you get, you won't keep me away,” I vow and am satisfied to see the blush on my wife's face. Markl groaned.
“If Lettie and I get that way, hit me over the head!” he groaned.
“I just might…” I promised warily. Markl yelped and dashed downstairs with the charms for Mrs. Jones.
 
End for now
The novel stated that Markl had been seeing Lettie Hatter, so that's where that came from for this story. Like it, hate it? Send a review! Takes a few seconds
 
Most sincerely penpaninu 3/18/06