Hunter X Hunter Fan Fiction ❯ Survivors ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
SURVIVORS

A Hunter x Hunter Fanfiction

ZyraEmina

© Yoshihiro Togashi




Chapter 2

"WHAT do you think you're doing with Lady Kirara?" the man behind Killua asked, venom lacing in every words.

The three pro-Hunters' sweat dropped. Though already proficient in Nen, the trio never noticed the men-in-black coming and slipping behind their backs --- a sign that the opponents had mastered one of the four principles of Nen, Zetsu, and they may as well be strong Nen users. Will this be their reward for helping a damsel in distress? Having a gun pointed at the back of their heads by some possible strong opponents and be engaged in a battle that might cost them injuring themselves, or in a worse case, their lives? Not really the thing they had anticipated.

"I could ask you the same thing, Mikhael" the girl whose name turned out to be Kirara exclaimed as she turned to look at the man who held Killua.

"But Milady ---”

"You were late and they saved me from them," she pointed at the unconscious thugs "so put down your guns. Now." Her visage, unlike moments ago, was now full of commanding fury.

The two other guards hesitated for a moment then looked at Mikhael who gave them a small nod before lowering their guns to walk towards their lady's side. Mikhael offered his hands, asking to let him carry the box that Kirara was desperate at protecting for some time now but the girl refused and instead gripped it tighter against her breasts. As for Gon, Killua and Leorio the trio immediately jumped as soon as Kirara's guards lowered their guns to stand at a good, safe distance away from them, their stance clearly states that they are ready for any further attacks. To their surprise, however, the guards had their heads bowed low in apology.

"Were humbly asking for your forgiveness for the rude treatment that we have shown you ---"

'Rude? You can hardly call it rude! You have every inch of intention of blowing our heads out of our necks' Killua snickered in his thoughts.

"--- we didn't realize that you were helping Lady Kirara. Please forgive us" Mikhael continued, unaware of Killua's comment in his mind as they bowed their heads lower.

Gon and the others slowly relaxed while the guards raised their heads. Now that the misunderstanding was over, the pro-Hunters took the moment of awkwardness around them to take in and study the girl and her guards' profile.

Kirara was indeed lovely, no wonder Leorio was captivated by her, not that Gon and Killua really care about the girl's appearance. She has round, pinkish cheeks; big, sparkling brown eyes; small nose and thin lips; silky long blond locks tied in a braid and snow-white fair skin to complete the package. Her clothes, however, contradicts her supposed status as she was wearing a cheap, plain white t-shirt (now mud color because of her tripping not so long ago) paired with fading black shorts. She's also sporting a pair of ragged tennis shoes for footwear --- not the usual wardrobe worn by pampered ladies like her.

Her guards, on the other hand, wore the typical black coat suit with white undershirt and black tie that were paired to a matching black pants. The three guards can be distinguished by their hairstyles. One of the unnamed guards sports a short, cropped auburn hair while the other has no hair at all. Mikhael, the obvious leader of the three, has long, straight black hair that touches his shoulders. While the two had their eyes hidden behind sunglasses, Mikhael sharp and piercing eyes were looking at them directly that they thought they were being stabbed by his stares alone.

Kirara walks towards the trio stopping them from their train of thoughts.

"If it’s not too much trouble for you, would you like to go to my house? I would like to show you how grateful I am to you for saving me" Kirara smiled to the trio while still clutching the box. By now Gon, Killua and Leorio are curious as to what might be its contents.

"No they can't, Lady Kirara" Mikhael opposed firmly before the Hunters were able to formulate an answer. This made the three scowl at the head guard, particularly Leorio.

"Why not?!" Kirara exclaims as she sharply turned her head to glare at Mikhael.

"We still don't know them" Mikhael answered. If he had their names he could have their backgrounds checked.

The girl huff an exasperated sigh before turning back to her saviors with another smile plastered on her face. This girl can easily change her expression, Leorio thought.

"Sorry for the late introduction. I'm Kirara Ashenbert. These are my guards, Mikhael, Lot," she points to the bald one, "and Colbert" she then points the other one. The two bow their heads a little in acknowledgement.

"I'm Gon Freeccs" Gon started.

"I'm Killua Zoldyck."

"Leorio Paladiknight. Nice meeting you."

Mikhael twitched inwardly. Freeccs? Zoldyck? He really should conduct a background check on them.

"Happy now?" Kirara asked her head guard.

Mikhael shook his head negatively earning another scowl from his mistress. "No. They are still not welcome at the mansion."

He might displease his mistress but her safety is his responsibility and priority (though he had fluked big time by coming to Kirara's rescue after she had already been rescued) thus he doesn't really care if Kirara is fuming with anger right now because of him.

"What did you say?!"

For a moment the mistress and her head guard were engaged in a silent, glaring war before Mikhael let out a sigh of defeat. With all that is said and done he is still obliged to follow his mistress wishes. He extended his right hand making them turn to see two cars approaching them with Lot and Colbert driving the vehicles. Apparently the two guards sneak out during the glaring war as they knew that even though the head guard will defy and put up a fight against their mistress, Lady Kirara will still and will always have the last word in the argument.

While this little episode was unfolding in front of their eyes, Gon, Killua and Leorio just watched the whole scene amused but bewildered at the same time. It's not like the first time they witnessed something like this --- heck, Killua's family head butler, Gotoh, as well as the other employees of Zoldyck family were far more stubborn than Mikhael was and the two dark haired Hunters already got the taste of that stubbornness but they can't help but be amazed by this little drama. Good thing they were pro Hunters and one of the redeeming quality that pro Hunters possess are their superb ability to immediately adapt to any kind of odd situations. Well they are not really sure if this could be really categorized as 'odd situation'.





"KIRARA-SAN can I ask you something?" The group were about to slid inside the cars when Gon asked as he can no longer hold his curiosity in.

Killua and Leorio stop from their tracks to look at Gon then at Kirara. Knowing Gon, they have a vague idea as to what he was about to ask as this was also what they were itching to ask. Mikhael, on the other hand, though pretends that he's not interested whatsoever, has his ears on the conversation.

"Hmm? What is it Gon?"

"What's inside that box? You've been holding it for a while now and you refused to let it go so I kinda got curious. That's the reason why those men were after you right?"

Kirara pursed her lips together and held the box closer if that was even possible. A small sad smile crept on her visage.

'This is an important item which used to belong to a precious friend."

For a moment the trio Hunters could have sworn that they saw a glint of crimson on her irises but it vanished immediately as it appeared.




IT was already late at night when Kurapika finished the funeral for his clansmen. As of the moment, the Kurta survivor was on his way out of the forest with only the moonlight illuminating his way. Having to spend his childhood at the dense forest of Lukso Province and got his Nen training also in a forest, Kurapika had no problem finding his way in the woods even with limited source of light. When he was already out of the forest and could already see the city lights that looked like twinkling stars from afar, Kurapika felt a presence observing him.

"Melody, come out" Kurapika said calmly in the dark.

A short, stocky woman with two large protruding front teeth step out from the tree where she was hiding. She has an amused smile curled on her lips.

"So you noticed I'm here" Melody said matter-of-factly.

A small smile appear on the Kurta's visage. "You didn't exactly try to hide your presence."

Melody chuckled quietly then join Kurapika in appreciating the beauty the city lights were offering. Sometimes you can only recognize the value of some things when they're far away and out of your reach.

"How was it? The funeral I mean."

Kurapika was still stunned by Melody's question though he had already saw that coming. Aside from the Phantom Troupe members (whom currently the red-eyed Hunter has no idea about their whereabouts), only a few souls knew about his Kurta blood --- Gon, Killua, Leorio and his current companion, Melody. Though he's not an open type of person, it is weird and somewhat comforting to know that at least one among his colleagues knew the secret about his clan although he still keeps the details about his activities regarding the issue in the shadows.

"It went well" Kurapika answered curtly.

The Music Hunter looked up at the Kurta beside her. While his face is practically void of any emotions, she knew that behind those black contact lenses were crimson eyes that matches the fiery turmoil of emotions inside of him. The combination of fury, longing and contentment on his heartbeat cannot escape the sharp ears of Melody. Fury for the Spiders who brought upon the extinction of his clan; longing for his fellow Kurta; and contentment for the achievements on his self-imposed mission for his tribe as well as for himself, so far. Really, people may lie but their heartbeats cannot, Melody mused to herself.

After a couple of minutes of pregnant silence, the pair decided that it's time for them to go back. They slid into the car parked not far from their spot then drove their way to Nostrade mansion with Kurapika behind the wheels.

Upon passing the colossal gates of the prominent Mafia family, Kurapika and Melody were greeted by a pair of maids clad in simple kimono accompanied by Basho, a muscular man sporting a mustache and pompadour hairstyle. He was standing at the door, his arms crossed across his chest and obviously waiting for their return.

"Kurapika, the boss was waiting for you" Basho immediately blurted the moment his and Kurapika's eyes met. The blonde Hunter just nodded his head in acknowledgement and immediately passed by the man to their boss' study.

Climbing through the long stairs towards the second floor then briskly walking in the wide, empty hallways that leads to Light Nostrade's study, Kurapika had pulled his impassive expression on to face his employer. He knocked at the massive oak door then opened it when he heard Light's voice beyond the door that told him to come in.

"Boss, you need anything from me?" Kurapika said as soon as he closed the door quietly behind him, not wanting to startle the man who had his back on him.

"Yes, it’s about Neon" Light turned to face the Hunter.

The blonde Hunter recognized the seriousness in his employer's wrinkled face whenever it concerns his only daughter. Kurapika had to control himself not to frown. Its been years since Neon lost her Nen ability 'Lovely Ghostwriter' to Chrollo Lucilfer during their visit in Yorknew City to participate in the auction. Light was devastated by then --- his paranoia of having lost his primary source of income and of not knowing what will happen to him and to his wealth now that his Neon was no longer a fortune-teller eats him alive and now the wrinkles in his face were the evidence left of those harsh years. Thanks to Kurapika's assistance, though, Light didn't have to go back to the dirt he once were, but his current wealth is relatively smaller compared to his riches during his daughter's fortune-telling days. But Light didn't lose hope, to Kurapika's surprise, and though there's a slim to 0% chance that the bluenette's ability will come back to her anytime soon (unless Chrollo suddenly dies which is very unlikely as the guy is strong even without Nen to back him up), he never refused any of his daughter's demands, well except leaving the mansion's premises, hoping that if he always made her happy her clairvoyance ability will magically come back.

And Kurapika is very sure that this is one of those moments.

Light cleared his throat before continuing. "Neon was invited to a party at Glavessa City this coming Thursday,” his voice giving him away that he didn't like the idea of her away from the mansion, “and I want you to keep her safe. You will depart tomorrow and you'll have the liberty to pick whoever you want to accompany you. Just make sure that they are competent enough to keep Neon from harm's way."

"Yes. I understand Boss" and after giving a small bow he's out of the room to proceed to his female boss' room.

When he knocked at Neon's door, it was opened by one of the maids who were keeping the Nostrade daughter company. The blunette look up at the blonde once he made his presence known to her by clearing his throat.

"Boss, your father had instructed me to accompany you to Glavessa City and I'm planning to bring Melody and Basho together with your newly hired bodyguards to ensure your security. Is that okay with you?"

Neon shrugged her shoulders. "I don't mind as long as I could attend the party. I've been locked inside this mansion like forever and I want to breathe fresh air away from this place for a change."

Kurapika nodded his head and was out of the room straightaway. He immediately called for Melody and the others to discuss about their departure tomorrow.

'Glavesse City, huh,' Kurapika thought. He had a fleeting feeling that something was stored for him at the said city.