Hunter X Hunter Fan Fiction ❯ Survivors ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
SURVIVORS

A Hunter x Hunter Fanfiction

ZyraEmina

© Yoshihiro Togashi



Chapter 3


GON and Killua flopped their tired bodies on the king-size bed at one of the guest rooms of Ashenbert estate while Leorio takes a shower at the bathroom attached inside the room. After dinner they decided to stay for the night at the mansion, mainly due to Kirara's insistence which surprisingly Mikhael didn’t opposed.

"Hey Killua," the former assassin turns his head to look at Gon, "I kinda felt sorry for Kirara's mother."

"Well, me too" Killua said, reminiscing what had transpired when they arrived at the mansion.




IT was already late in the afternoon, the sky was already tinted with reddish glow as the sun was about to set when the car in which Gon, Killua and Leorio got on finally pulled in at a large mansion located at the outskirts of Glavessa City. The ride approximately lasted for four hours and the trio Hunters wondered how really precious the box' contains for Kirara to take this long trip and risk herself being targeted by those vicious men. They stopped from their pondering when they slid out of the car as they were welcomed by uniformed butlers and maids standing in a straight line on each sides of the stone pathway leading to the massive oak front doors. They were separated by gender; the butlers were positioned on the right side of the pathway while the maids were on the left and their heads were bowed in respect for their mistress and her guests.

"Welcome home Lady Kirara and welcome dear guests" they greeted in perfect unison.

"Where's Mom?" Kirara asked as soon as the servants lifted their heads to look at her.

One of the maids took a step forward.

"Your mother, Lady Penelope was worried sick about you, milady. She had been crying non-stop the moment she discovered that you're gone from the mansion."

As if on cue, a woman who looks like an older version of Kirara, except she was auburn-haired and has a pair of smoky green eyes instead of blonde locks and brown eyes, came rushing from the front door and tackled Kirara into a bone crushing hug.

"I'm so worried about you Kirara! I thought something dreadful had happened to you" the woman wailed as her hold towards her daughter tightens.

"Mom, I'm okay so stop crying please. You know that I hate it when I see you cry" Kirara comforted her mother in her arms while giving her mother a soothing rub on her back.

The woman sniffled before pulling back from the hug to wipe away the tears from her eyes.

"I'm not the only one who's worried, you know. Even Shin and Shun were also worried about you."

Another maid, the one who came rushing after Penelope, handed the two rag dolls she was carrying to Penelope's open arms who accepted them lovingly. The dolls, promptly named as Shin and Shun (though the trio doesn't have any idea which is which), have yellow cloth which is almost in the same hue of yellow as Kirara's hair, cut into strips for hair and dons outfits whose style were coincidentally identical to Kurapika's outfit when they first met him during the Hunter Exam although the dolls’ outfits were red while Kurapika was blue. Overall the dolls would have been normal looking if not for their eyes --- if the toys happened to be real humans they would've suffered from Heterochromia iriduim, an unusual medical condition wherein a person has different shades of eyes, as one of the buttons sewn to be their eyes was brown while the other one was red. They were a little creepy for Leorio's taste but apparently it’s not an issue for Kirara and her mother. Talk about doll-loving females.

"Sorry Shin, Shun if Onee-chan made you two worry" Kirara said to the dolls while patting their heads as if they were alive.

Mikhael then deliberately cleared his throat to get their attention away from the toys.

"As much as I don't want to interrupt your conversation Lady Penelope, Lady Kirara, but we can't stay here any longer, not when the young mistress' friends came all the way here to visit and still have to receive proper reception." The three Hunters noticed the animosity that Mikhael tried to hide when he uttered the word 'friends'.

Penelope turned her attention to the trio who were a little bit surprised when the brunette's visage suddenly lit up with happiness.

"Oh my gosh! How rude of me. I didn't notice you were there! It’s very rare that Kirara dear invites her friends to come over and here I am acting nothing but to ignore you" Penelope dramatically gasped then covered her mouth with her hands.

Gon, Killua and Leorio immediately muttered 'no we don't really mind' while shaking their heads lightly. Then the woman walks towards them subsequently lifted the right hands of the dolls as if offering a handshake to them.

"Now, now Shin, Shun don't be shy. They are your sister's friends so no need to be afraid. Come on." The brunette lifted the dolls' right hands closer to them.

The trio, though hesitant at first, shook the offered hands awkwardly earning a bright smile from Penelope. Their eyes then wandered towards her daughter who only gave them a small sad smile. After the rather odd introductions, the Hunters were ushered inside the mansion with a trying-hard cheerful Kirara giving them the tour.





"PENELOPE-SAN huh? I think she had a traumatic experience and her daughter and those dolls were the ones keeping her from totally being insane" Leorio suddenly butted-in in the conversation. He only dons a towel around his hips as he immediately joined the conversation as soon as he finished his bath.

Killua snorts. "Wow, an obvious observation from someone who's supposed to be a doctor soon."

Leorio, sensing the sarcasm in Killua's words, pointed a rude finger towards the boy. "What's that supposed to mean, you brat?!"

Killua and Leorio bared their teeth at each other, their eyes searching for any signs if the opponent would strike. The other occupant, on the other hand, didn't bother to stop his friends from fighting and instead just stared at the room's ceiling.

"Also," Gon suddenly said ending his friends' fight even before it started. "Kirara's scent reminds me of Kurapika."

Leorio crooked an eyebrow. "Hey Gon! I know you got a heightened sense of smell but don't go sniffing girls for Pete's sake. It never crossed me that you're a closet pervert." The young Hunter crossed his arms as he pouted at the older Hunter's accusation. Though he scolded Gon, at the back of his mind, Leorio can't help but agree to him about Kirara and Kurapika's resemblance. He can't smell Kirara's scent unlike Gon but he recalled how the girl's hair and eyes also reminded him of their Kurta friend.

Unknown to them, the topic of their conversation, Kirara, was also talking about them at her mother's quarters with her head guard.





"MIKHAEL, earlier this day you were not acting your usual self. Do you really have to be so rude to Gon and the others? I know that you're aware that they saved me." Kirara asked quietly not wanting to wake up her sleeping mother who were hugging the dolls that resembled her dead siblings.

Instead of answering Kirara's question, the guard threw his own question to his mistress. "Why do you trust them so easily? After what had happened to you, it’s not like you to give away your trust to strangers, milady."

Kirara opened her mouth to take her defense but her desired words didn't form on her mouth and instead a hushed 'I don't know' escaped her mouth. She instantly averted her gaze from Mikhael when she caught the questioning look he was throwing at her. Silence filled the room for a minute before Mikhael decided to break it.

"Lady Kirara, I hope your decision of inviting them here won't lead to the exposure of your secret."

The young lady of the house was starting to get uncomfortable as to where the conversation was leading so she hastily changed the subject. "By the way, I heard that you conducted a background check on the three. So, what did you learn?" Her nose was still pointed in the air, purposely avoiding any eye contact with her guard. She briefly glance at the box she had been carrying the whole day that was now resting at the top of the table beside her mother's bed.

Mikhael sighed at his mistress' obvious evasion to the topic before replying. "Gon Freeccs, Killua Zoldyck and Leorio Paladinight are all Hunters, Professional Hunters."

"They're pro-Hunters? Really?"

"Yes, milady. Killua came from the famous Zoldyck family of assassins. Leorio, on the other hand, came from a humble family. As for Gon, though my sources can't provide a concrete evidence, there's a high probability of him being related to the Ging Freeccs." The guard anticipated a happy expression from his mistress when he mentioned Ging's name and he wasn't disappointed. Kirara's visage was practically glowing at the mention of her another savior.

Her initial anxiousness already forgotten from learning that her new found friends were part of the association she looks up and dreams of becoming a member one day by passing the Hunter Examination, she giddily picked up the box from its spot then exits the room. Mikhael was close to her heels as she marched the maze-like corridor of the west part of the mansion (the guests were staying at the east side of the mansion). It was purposely constructed that way to keep burglars and outsiders from discovering the certain room in which Kirara and Mikhael were headed to. Unknown to them two pairs of eyes were following them.




"KILLUA," Gon called out his silver-haired friend, "why are we stalking Kirara-san and Mikhael-san?"

Killua put his index finger on Gon's mouth to hush him. "Don't be so loud or they might hear us" he hissed. He turned to look at the pair from their hiding spot to see if their covers have been blown and fortunately for them, the oblivious pair didn't notice anything.

Earlier the two young Hunters were about to drift off to dreamland at the guest room the three of them were sharing when Leorio decided to become gassy and farted in his sleep. They immediately dashed out of the room when the hideous odor assaulted their noses. They ran and ran until they reached the unfamiliar corridors of the western part of the mansion. For a full fifteen minutes Gon and Killua round the corridors, curious as to why it seemed to be more of a labyrinth than a mere hallway, up until they saw Kirara and Mikhael roundabout a corner. They were about to approach the pair when their eyes caught the box the blonde girl was carrying --- the very box she refused to let go earlier this day --- and instantly the silver-haired Hunter instructed his raven-haired buddy to use Zetsu to conceal their presence. This will be the perfect chance to know the contents of the mystery box.

Kirara and Mikhael continued walking for another couple of minutes with Gon and Killua on their tails. When they arrived at the seemingly dead end of the labyrinth, the guard pulled a remote out of his pocket and pushed the only button in it. When he did so, the wall they were facing splitted in half and slowly moved away from each other, akin to how elevator door works, to expose a giant steel door hiding behind it. Mikhael opened the door for his mistress then looked around the vicinity before shutting the door behind him. In a flash, the Hunters were on the door, carefully opening it to avoid any sounds that might give them away and immediately sneaked inside.

Upon entering, the duo were greeted by a dimly lighted hallway but bright enough for them to see what's ahead of them. Gon and Killua silently tread with their backs firmly pressed on the wall then came to a halt when the hallway ended uncovering a larger space of the room that resembled a laboratory owned by some mad scientist. In the middle of the room were elevated incubator-like tanks installed from left to right. The tanks' were as big as them with chemicals, probably formalin and other preservatives, bubbling inside. It also have tags attached below them.

The first row of tanks were empty, only the bubbling chemicals filling their vacant insides. When Gon and Killua laid sight on the second row, they were surprised of what they saw. There, inside the tanks, floating on the chemicals as if swimming, were the only thing their Kurta friend had been searching for.

"Scarlet eyes" the duo muttered under their breaths as they stare back at the pairs of eyes that were looking at them through the glass walls of their vessel. Their eyes strayed for a moment to look at the tags attached at the feet of the tanks. Hikari, Matsuri, Suzume, et cetera; the duo concluded that the tags were nameplates and the names carved on them were the names of the eyes' owners.

The sound of footsteps stopped their reverie and the duo Hunters remembered what they were doing before they saw the crimson eyes. Discreetly they crept closer to Kirara who was now at the center of the room in front of an empty tank as her fingers were working at opening the box. Her dainty fingers then pulled another pair of crimson eyes inside a small tube filled with chemicals.

Gon and Killua's stomach churned and they felt that any minute they would throw up whatever food they had feasted at Kirara's dining table. Looks can really be deceiving, they mused. They never thought that behind the girl's frail facade was a sick individual who takes pleasure at collecting human parts treating them as relics that were made only to satisfy their twisted choice of hobby. What disgusted them more was how the girl looked at the preserved eyes. She gazed at it lovingly as if gazing at a long-lost lover who had finally found its way to its waiting better half.

"I finally got you Pairo" the blonde lovingly said to the eyes as she hugged the container. The Hunters' ears perked when they heard the name Kirara had just uttered. They looked at each other in disbelief. Pairo? Did they just heard her right? They recalled hearing it from Kurapika when he had lost his eyes to the fourth member of the Phantom Troupe. It was the name of the Kurta who was like a brother to Kurapika but died tragically like the rest of the members of the extinct clan.

"The old fart really loved you Pairo. I got a hard time breaking through the layers of security he had installed just to protect you. And when I finally got my hands on you that old, sick geezer sent his men after me! Geez! So persistent! Good thing three good souls helped me." And now the two of them were starting to regret it, Killua thought bitterly. The girl had already lost her nuts a long time ago. She's freaking talking to a dead man's eyes! Surely this would be a major turn-off for Leorio when he learns about this.

"Oh yeah! And guess what Pairo, that sorry excuse of an old pervert believed that you were a girl! He even fantasized you as a girl with voluptuous body. That freak! He's disgusting!" Kirara continued unaware that her saviors have the same sentiment as her though the ill feeling was directed towards her.

"It may not be my first time and to be honest those eyes looked identical like the rest of the eyes here but I'm always amazed on how you were able to identify them and name their owners, Lady Kirara" Mikhael said earning a small smile from the blonde. He then leans to reach a button that was located behind the tag with golden 'Pairo' letters engraved on it. When the employee had pushed the button, the tank descended slowly till it was chest level with Kirara and the girl unceremoniously opened the tube and spilled the contents on the larger container. The eyes submerged on the chemicals before it floated upward and settled on the middle of the tank. It rolled several spins before it stopped to stare at the one who had put it on its new vessel. Suddenly Kirara hugged the tank and tears started streaming from her brown orbs.

"Pairo! Pairo! Pairo! I've missed you!" The girl continued to sob against the tank while gripping tightly at it. Mikhael put his arms on Kirara's shoulders and gently rubbed them in an attempt to give his mistress some comfort. When the girl finally calmed down, she slowly peeled the arms from her shoulders then hastily wiped the tears from her eyes.

Kirara's hand caressed the glass wall of the tank which held Pairo's eyes. "I know you'll be lonely in here but don't worry Pairo, you won't be alone for long" she peeled her hands from the tank to caress the tag on the tank next to Pairo's container. "I will do everything I can to find Kurapika's eyes. Soon you'll be reunited with your best friend."

The two froze at their spots at the mention of their friend's name. Who the hell is this girl? How did she knew about Kurapika and Pairo's relationship? As if looking at Kirara would enlighten them from their predicament, they looked at the aforementioned girl only to have their eyes almost jump out from their sockets. Though the room was poorly lighted, they clearly saw how the girl's iris slowly morphed from color brown to crimson just like the eyes of the Kurta Tribe and the golden 'Kurapika' letters etched at the tag her digits lovingly caresses.