Hunter X Hunter Fan Fiction ❯ Survivors ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
SURVIVORS

A Hunter x Hunter Fanfiction

ZyraEmina

© Yoshihiro Togashi




Chapter 4


KURAPIKA sighed for the umpteenth time that day as he warily watched his female boss held two different dresses up in the air in front of her. Her brows were furrowed in concentration as if she's in life and death situation of deciding which of the two was prettier. All of a sudden his temples pulsed as if it were hit beneath his skin, a sign that a terrible headache is about to develop. The Kurta bodyguard once again huffed an exasperated sigh when his spoiled brat of a boss unceremoniously toss aside the dresses she was holding only to grab another set of dresses from the rack of clothes not far from her.

For the record this was already the third mall they visited (he had conveniently lost count of just how many boutiques and clothes stores inside the aforementioned malls they have already raided) and the Kurta was now regretting his decision of being Neon's buddy on her shopping spree. He finally understands why Melody and Basho, though they never verbally stated it, hated accompanying their lady boss in her shopping.

"Hey, hey which is prettier? This pink one. . . ." Neon grabbed the dress on her right higher. "Or this blue one?"

A rude shove of silky cloth on his face took Kurapika to realize that he was the one the blunette was asking. And to be honest, it was one of the most difficult questions he had ever encountered. Ever.

His choice of wardrobe was mainly influenced by the fact that he has Kurta blood running in his veins. Aside from pajamas and business suits, he wears traditional Kurta clothes as much as possible --- a white full-body training suit underneath a decorated tabard matched with periwinkle Chinese style flats --- like he was doing today. Never in his life did he attempt to understand the connection between dresses and women. His guess is he will never be able to understand it.

After a couple of seconds of pondering the 'right' answer, he breathed his truthful respond. "I. . .I don't know. I think each of them have their own uniqueness that makes it difficult to judge."

Neon crooked an eyebrow on Kurapika's answer. This guy is useless, she thought.

Earlier, after they had arrived at Glavessa City, when the Mafia daughter stated her desire to personally shop for the dress she would be wearing for the party, she should have also taken the chance to pick who was going to accompany her. Her personal maids who were escorting her were no good. Every time she asks them they would either nod their heads or simply smile at her. With Melody, however, the blunette always received honest opinions about the clothes she picks and even helps her in finding clothes that suits her. Surely, Kurapika would not deny her of the request unless the blonde wanted to have another dose of her violent tantrums. But it was too late now.

An hour later, Neon stomped her feet in annoyance right after they left another boutique. She then turned to face Kurapika with a scowl visible on her face.

"I'm bored. Let's go home" the tone of her voice clearly states that she blames her bodyguard on how her dress hunting turned to failure.

With practiced skill, Kurapika was able to hide his relief from his lady boss. He nods to her then tried to follow her as walking had become quite a difficult task with too many shopping bags entangled on his hands. The party will happen three days from now and if Neon is still unsatisfied with the numerous dresses she had purchased and decided to shop for more, the blonde bodyguard reminded himself that the blunette's father had just employed three Hunters, all whom are professional, to add on the roster of his daughter's bodyguards and surely, one or two of them are skilled enough to handle both protecting a Mafia daughter and shopping.




THOUGH the beginning of his day was no doubt tiring, it is still yet to end. Being the head bodyguard of the only daughter of Light Nostrade, it is Kurapika's job to make sure that his lady boss is safe at all times --- whether it's in the present or in the future --- and that is what he intends to do. Shortly after arriving at the hotel, Kurapika immediately called for his comrades for a briefing about their guarding assignment during their stay in Glavessa City. He doesn't want to repeat the disaster that had occurred the last time they were in Yorknew City.

Even though he was the one who called out for the meeting, Kurapika was the one who arrived last at the room. When he entered, his comrades were already standing around the large rectangular table on the middle of the room with a map laid out on top of it.

"Kurapika," Melody acknowledged him as he pace towards the table, silencing the chatting newbies in the process, "how did the shopping go?"

"Tiring" came Kurapika's instantaneous reply. Melody and Basho exchanged looks. Kurapika's sentiments were not far from theirs whenever they take up that assignment.

When the Kurta was already at the table, Akito, one of the newly hired bodyguard immediately opened his mouth to talk.

"Kurapika-san," he began "I think we got a problem."

That made the blonde Hunter on full alert. He was just gone for shopping and a problem is already at their hands. He studied his comrades. While Akito together with the two other newbies namely Jadeite and Regulus had a grim expression etched on their faces, curiously Melody and Basho have a weary expression accompanied with an equally weary sigh.

"What do you mean we got a problem?"

Tentatively, Akito reached out for the envelope in his breast pocket and handed it over to Kurapika. The Kurta read the letter inside the envelope and after reading the contents, his expression morphed from questioning to disappointment.

"So what's the problem in here?" Kurapika asked Akito, annoyed. The letter he had just read was only the official invitation to the party Neon will be attending three days from now. Reading the invitation didn't give him any hint of the problem that worries the newbies. Surely if security is what's worrying them, he would give the three a good whack on the head. They're freaking bodyguards for goodness sake!

"But Kurapika-san look at the bottom part of the invitation" Akito said quite desperately.

The Kurta looked down again at the letter.

'Take note: This is a girl-only party. No boys/males are allowed inside the function hall. Male bodyguards and escorts can wait outside until the party ends or the invited lady decided to call it a day. If a boy/male insists on joining the party, he must do it discreetly like dressing and acting like a real girl otherwise the door would be open for him to leave.'

Again Kurapika threw an annoyed look at the newbies. When they saw the disapproving look on the head bodyguard's visage, Jadeite stepped in to point their argument. "Kurapika-san we can't properly guard Boss when all of us are counting the stars in the night sky because we are all outside the hall due to our genders!"

"Melody's a girl. . ." Kurapika stated, irritation on his voice.

"Melody is?" Akito, Jadeite and Regulus asked while pointing a disbelieving finger on the stout woman earning a glare from the blonde Hunter for both interrupting him and rudely questioning the Music Hunter's gender. Melody, on the other hand, just smiled at the newbies inquiry. She's somewhat used to people doubting her sexuality after her tragic encounter with Dark Sonata.

". . . and we can always have one or two of us to cross-dress just like the letter has stated" Kurapika finished.

All colors escape from the newbies as they mouthed a deviant 'no' while Kurapika heaved an audible exasperated sigh. What the big idea? It's just for one night and after that they can always forget that once in their lifetime as a man, they experienced dressing up as the opposite sex, Kurapika mused to himself.

"Well I already suggested that but they were whining about masculinity and stuff" Basho said while scratching the back of his head. Truth be told he also dreaded the idea of him wearing skirts and frills in pink but fortunately for him he's safe because of his built will make it impossible. He is quite muscular not to mention letting a mustache grow on his manly-cut face that he would never be mistaken as a girl once he tries to cross-dress. However, that's not the case with Kurapika and the rest of the male guards.

Kurapika massaged his temples as he could feel headache starting to form. Why does Lady Fortuna, the one who invited his lady boss happened to be an obsessive man-hater? Suddenly, he shuddered when he sense the newbies pleading look on him, silently begging that they won't be chosen to cross-dress for Neon's sake.

And despite being a strict leader, the Kurta is still human enough to pity the newbies.

"Okay, I'll do it" Kurapika sighed in resignation and the newbies' faces lightened up. How many times did he sigh this day? He had already lost count.

"Thank you very much Kurapika-san!" The trio chirped in unison.

"But I expect you three to put an extra effort on your job, okay?"

"Yes sir!" So much for being bodyguards who would do anything for their boss' safety. He can't help but think that these three aren't still ready for job they have taken.

Kurapika then turned his attention towards the only female in the room. "Melody, help me pick out a suitable dress for the party. I want something that would still allow me to move freely despite the numerous laces and frills that decorates it" he said in a tone suggesting that the idea of him cross-dressing is no big deal. Well this won't be the first time he would do this. Back in Yorknew City, though unintentionally, he had dressed as a woman (donning a wig and a suit cut for women) as a disguise in order to capture the Spiders' head.

"I would love to" the Music Hunter said with a gentle smile. Good thing she was the only one who has sharp ears. No one would know how excited she is on dressing up the Blacklist Hunter.

Then using the map laid on the table, Kurapika discussed about the stations his comrades will cover during the party. While he and Melody are inside the hall with Neon, Basho and Jadeite will be guarding the rear entrance while Akito and Regulus will take the front entrance. He added that Akito and Regulus should be guarding not far from their car. If any mishap happens, escape would be easy.

The blonde Kurta also discussed about Neon's shopping buddy. He had assigned Melody (due to the blunette's request) and Akito. Though the newbie wanted to complain as he was aware of how tiring the job could be, he chose to keep it to himself because of the first favor he asked from his superior. Summing it up, Kurapika adjourned the meeting after an hour.

It was already almost midnight when they scrambled from the meeting room to head to their respective quarters though Kurapika was still inside when he heard the distinct tune of 'Ohayou' in the air. He fished out his cellphone from his pocket but before he could push the accept button, the ringtone accompanied by the ringing of his phone stopped. He was somewhat surprised when he saw the caller i.d. on the phone's screen.

"Killua."

He was somewhat puzzled. What would be the reason behind Killua's phone call? The last time he heard from the silver-haired boy was when he tried to inform him about the possibility of his Nen inflicted on Chrollo be lifted by other Nen user. After that he no longer had another call from him. Usually it's either Gon or Leorio who would try to keep in touch with him.

He waited for Killua to call him again but after some time Kurapika got tired of waiting so he decided that he would call him instead. Kurapika's brows knitted when he was answered by the operator saying that Killua's phone cannot be reached. He tried to call again three times but was always answered by the recorded voice of the operator.

Knowing Gon and Killua, the Kurta is starting to get worried about his friends. He's positive that they are not ignoring him on purpose and that somehow they have themselves caught up again something dangerous.