Hunter X Hunter Fan Fiction ❯ Survivors ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
SURVIVORS

A Hunter x Hunter Fanfiction

ZyraEmina

© Yoshihiro Togashi



Chapter 5


LEORIO is starting to get dizzy with his repeated prancing back and forth around the room while his companion whose name is Lot, if his memory serves him right, was on the other hand already seeing stars spinning around him after watching the dark-haired Hunter go round the room. Leorio suddenly stopped walking in the middle of the room; put his thumb and index fingers under his chin while unconsciously tapping the floor with his left foot in annoyance. Damn! Where the hell did Gon and Killua gone off to!

When he woke up this morning it didn't bother him that the two younger Hunters were no longer in bed. He knew that Gon and Killua are early birds and thought that the two were just around the mansion somewhere, doing their daily exercise routine or something. But when it's already evening and the duo were still nowhere in sight, Leorio started to get worried. They may be pranksters but he's sure that Gon and Killua will not leave him behind as some kind of joke; besides the situation is starting to smell fishy. He noticed that Kirara's guards were always following him around wherever he goes as if guarding him and at the same time preventing him from meeting Kirara.

"Hey! Why can't I talk to Kirara?" Leorio asked while giving Lot a dirty look.

"It's because the Lady Kirara is still busy at the moment. You have to wait until she's finished before you could talk to her" the guard replied indifferent of how Leorio glared at him.

"Hmm. . ." the Hunter walked towards the guard then stopped to level his eyes with Lot's, "How did you know that she's busy when you're here with me all this time? Huh?!" Leorio's face distorted to match the expression of a street thug threatening his victim to hand over his money.

Lot was unfazed by Leorio's antics but thought that that expression made the Hunter uglier than he already is. "I just know" he answered.

An annoyed vein popped on Leorio's forehead upon hearing the bald guard's answer. He really wanted to punch the guy, he's already contemplating if he'll use his own fist or emit aura in the form of fist to hit the guy but ultimately decided against it as it will be just a waste of his time and energy. He plopped himself in the sofa nearby, he's already tired of walking around, he covered his eyes with his forearm as he audibly sighed. Where the hell did those kids gone off to?! He got to find them but first he has to find a way to ditch the annoying, shiny head guard.

"Leorio-dono," he heard the guard call to him after a minute. "Would you like to play cards to pass a minute? It's boring waiting around like this." Lot has a sly smile drawn on his face while holding up a deck of playing cards. Leorio had a bad feeling about this.

"What game?"

"Strip poker."

"What?!" Leorio bolted up from the sofa and immediately ran towards the corner of the room, the one nearest to the door with his hands raised up protectively on his chest. Now he knows why he had a bad feeling about this. The guy is a freaking gay!

Lot chuckled albeit his face remained emotionless. "There's no reason for you to worry. Like any other male species I'm quite fond of breasts and woman and I assure you that I never fascinate about other guy's junk. Let's just say that this game's objective is to prevent you from stepping out of this room."

A smirk appeared on Leorio's visage. The guy had talked and now he's sure that for some reason the guard was preventing him from making contact with his lady boss. But he's still uncomfortable of the fact that of all card games available, the bald guard had to pick that. If his playmate have been a woman with curves to die for, Leorio is more than willing to play the game. He might even resort to cheating just to win the game but no! He had to play with another guy! He just prayed that Lot is as straight as he claims to be.

"Of course, whoever loses will get a penalty aside from being stripped with his clothes" Lot said again.

"And what kind of penalty is that?" Leorio gingerly asked, still traumatized by the bald man's game suggestion.

"Let's see . . . if I win you have to walk around the estate naked of course, until a maid sees you. When that happens you have to do a sexy dance in front of her." The sly smile on Lot's face seemed to grow wider much to Leorio's disgust.

"What if I win?"

The bald guard paused for a moment before answering. "If you win, I'll take you to Lady Kirara, naked of course and I'll also do a little sexy dance in her presence."

"Deal!" Leorio instantly replied. He might be uncomfortable to the probability of showing his thing to another guy (who is possibly a gay for that matter!) but he has to know what had happened to his friends and he had to know it quickly.



GON could smell the telltale scent of dirt, humid and mold lingering in the air. He could also smell the familiar scent of Killua and the sickening coppery scent of blood. Killua? Blood? Immediately Gon's eyes snapped open. At first he could see nothing but darkness until his eyes adjusted to the lack of light and were able to make out the silhouette of his best friend in front of him. Just like him the silver-haired Hunter was kneeling on the hard floor with his hands and feet bound to the wall by chains.

"Killua?" Gon asked softly.

Sound of chains clicking was heard when Killua lifted his head to look at the one who called him. "Gon! So you're awake!"

Gon smiled reassuringly to his friend. "Where are we?"

Killua sighed. "I don't know but I think we're in the cellar though I can't be sure," the silver haired boy looked around as if assessing the surroundings, "it's too dark in here to really point out anything."

Gon nodded even though he's doubtful that Killua noticed it. The dark haired boy mimicked his friend and look around the dark premises of their prison while remembering how they ended up being locked up here in the first place.



HE remembered being in a room full of incubator-like tanks containing Kurta's scarlet eyes and seeing Kirara adding a new set of eyes to her collection. The blonde girl's eyes then changed colors from brown to scarlet, much like the Kurta's, while caressing a tank tag with Kurapika's name etched on it. Killua didn't waste any time and swiftly fished out his cellphone from his pocket to contact their Kurta friend. In haste, after the former assassin successfully dialed Kurapika's number, he hit his elbow hard on the tank where they were hiding, dropping the gadget in the process. The impact effectively broke the cellphone to pieces and made noises that surely exposed their location.

The duo of young Hunters tried to run away before Mikhael could get close to them but fire conjured in front of them, stopping them from getting away. In no time Gon and Killua were surrounded by the fire. Unfortunately for Killua, the fire had melted his cellphone.

"Gon, Killua, what are you doing here?" Kirara asked while walking towards them. She was smiling but they could clearly see the deadly promises her blood-red eyes were reflecting.

The duo didn't respond and instead readied themselves for a fight. As their attention were drawn to Kirara, who continued to walk towards them in slow pace with her menacing red eyes boring holes to them, they didn't notice Mikhael slipped behind their backs. Kirara kept on approaching them, the fire moving away to make way for her and unlike earlier this morning, the girl's aura felt dangerous.

Gon bended his knees, his right fist above his left palm and was about to chant the catchphrase he usually say whenever he uses his Jajanken technique when he felt a hand on his shoulder which he realized was Mikhael's hand. The concentrated aura on his fist dissipates in an instant. He then tried to use a Nen technique called Ken --- it is a technique where one envelops his body with aura for defense. To Gon's surprise, however, he wasn't able to use the technique because he wasn't able to summon his aura. It was like when he had lost to Knuckle and wasn't able to summon his aura and use Nen for 30 days as penalty. The next thing he knew, he felt a slight sting on his nape and then the world spun around him until he lost consciousness.



"THOSE two. . ." Killua started making Gon stop from his reverie, "are really bad news" he finished though he was more like talking to himself than to Gon. He then looked at the direction where he believed Gon was chained. "Whatever happens, we must not let them know, especially that Kirara girl, that Kurapika is alive. Who knows what that freaky girl's gonna do when that happens."

Determination graced Gon's features as he nodded his approval. "For now we must find a way to escape here. We should warn Leorio about them too. I wonder what he is doing now."

Gon contracted his muscles in his wrist then tugged hard at the chains that bound him but the chains were sturdy and didn't budge. By the sound of chains clicking, the raven-haired concluded that his friend was also trying to get free from his restraints. After a minute of contracting and tugging in vain, an idea entered Killua's mind.

"Gon! Put some aura on your wrist. The chains might fall apart that way."

"Go ahead and try but I tell you, that would be just a waste of time" they heard the voice that no doubt belonged to Kirara.

Light slowly filtered the dark room and soon Kirara and Mikhael join them. While the guard was holding the torch that lighted the room, Kirara was eyeing them with her brown orbs. Now that the girl's irises were back to its normal color, she looked harmless and someone who can't even kill a fly.

While the blonde girl was observing them, thus earning glares from them, Killua discretely tried to channel his aura to the chain but just like what Kirara had said, it was just a waste of time. It's not because the chains was so strong that the amount of aura he had channeled into it was not enough to destroy it but because in the first place, he wasn't able to summon any aura at all. It was just like earlier before the mistress and guard duo were able to apprehend him.



SOON after Gon lost consciousness, Killua felt something stung his arm and when he looked, he saw needles pierced on his skin. He suspected that the needles were poisoned but being born in a family of assassins and was trained to become one, he wasn't affected by the poison much to his advantage. He pulled the needles out of his arm then lunged towards Mikhael to stab him with his sharp nails. The opponent managed to move out of the way before the silver-haired boy could pierce his deadly nails on his chest and pull out Mikhael's heart out of his body. Though the attack failed, Killua grabbed the chance to pick Gon's limp body and jumped high enough to avoid the flames from reaching them then landed on the part of the room where there's no fire to run towards the exit. The flames chased him and it was not long before it was able to catch up with him and trapped him again.

"Shit!" Killua cursed under his breath. He turned around to avoid the flames but was caught off guard when he saw Mikhael's face inches away from his. The guard's fist was above the air, ready to punch and Killua had no other choice but to lift his arms, enhanced with Ken in defense, dropping Gon on the hard floor with a thud. The anticipated punch didn't came flying his way but the guard grabbed his wrists with one hand instead and Killua could feel his aura thinning until it disappeared completely.

"What the?" Killua tried to pull away but Mikhael was strong enough to hold him in place. Mikhael's free hand then connected to the former assassin's nape and with a strong chop he knocked the senses out of Killua.



"MIKHAEL'S Nen enables him to force anyone whom he touches to enter Zetsu. As for inanimate things, he channels his aura to convert them into tools that makes anyone in contact with them unable to use Nen, just like the chains that binds you" Kirara said answering Gon and Killua's silent question. Apparently Gon also tried channeling his aura on the chain but failed.

This little information sharing earned the blonde even harder glares from the two young Hunters.

Mikhael moved past his mistress towards Gon's direction, holding a key on his right hand. He freed the raven-haired Hunter from the metal restraints only to be replaced by another metal restraint, a handcuff, with his hands on his back. He also did the same to Killua. While they're no longer attached to the wall and could escape if they wanted to, Gon and Killua didn't attempt to do so as they weren't able to use Nen because of the handcuffs. They may be able to pass right through Kirara and Mikhael but how about the other guards stationed in the mansion? The odds really aren't in their favor and they can't rely on luck for that matter.

The dark-haired guard roughly pushed the two Hunters forward, silently commanding them to move. They begrudgingly obliged and walked silently with Kirara leading the way and Mikhael at the back keeping an eye on them.

"Why are you doing this?" Gon asked suddenly out of the blue.

"What do you mean by that?" Kirara questioned back at Gon with her head tilted to the side innocently. Killua inwardly snorted at the irony of it. "Oh! I just wanted to talk to you guys about that secret of mine" she continued with an obvious stress on the word 'secret'.

"If you're gonna talk to us about keeping or helping you with your sick fascination on bloody eyes, you better think again." Mikhael twisted Killua's arm hard, to point out his displeasure about him talking rudely to Kirara which the silver-haired deliberately ignored, though it hurts. "Besides if you don't want us to blabber your secret out, it's easier to kill us off. A dead man tells no tale, right?"

Kirara suddenly came to a halt, Gon almost bumped on her back. She turned to Killua with a hurt look on her face. "Do I really look that evil to you now? Just so you know I'm not the type of person who would conveniently forget about her rescuers just because they happened to discover my 'sick fascination on bloody eyes', as you quoted it Killua."

Killua twitched inwardly. By the tone of her voice, it's obvious that she had taken his words badly and it hurt her but he knew better. He wasn't going to fall for any of her facade this time though he's a little worried. He was never good at handling upset girls, or girls in general.

"I'm not asking that" Gon said firmly with his eyes burning holes on the blonde girl. His three companions looked at his puzzled. "What I'm asking is why you are collecting Kurta's eyes. I think you're aware that the tribe was massacred just to obtain their unique eyes. Don't you feel anything for those lives that were taken ---"

"I mourn for them!" Kirara said hotly cutting whatever Gon was about to say. Her brown eyes were scarlet again and were shiny as tears were threatening to escape from them. The changing colors of irises confirm that she's really a Kurta but that didn't change Gon and Killua's decision of not telling her about Kurapika nonetheless, the girl is still a nutcase for them. Moreover, as soon as her eyes turned bloody-red, fire appeared out of nowhere and slowly crawled towards their direction.

"Lady Kirara!" Mikhael shouted alarmingly as the fire was also heading towards him. The blonde was surprised, as if she hadn't realized what she have done and muttered sorry hastily. She took deep breaths to calm herself down. When the redness of her eyes disappeared, the fire vanished with it. The two Hunters looked at each other. This is going to be dramatic, they're sure about it.



"KURAPIKA, where are you going?" Basho asked the Blacklist Hunter when he noticed him about to exit the meeting room as soon as Melody and Akito returned from their shopping-buddy assignment and joined them in the said room. It's already late at night making him wonder where Kurapika could be heading to at this hour.

"I'll just take care of some personal business. I might be back in the morning" Kurapika answered without looking at his comrade. "Basho, I'll leave you in-charge. Make sure nothing happens to the Boss."

Before Basho could respond, Kurapika's already out of the room. The muscular guy heaved a sigh. Here we go again, he mused to himself.

"Is Kurapika-san always like that?" Akito asked. "Leaving without much to say? That's cold, don't you think? And what's this 'personal business' thing anyway?"

"And he's quite different today. He seems like, hmm, how should I put this?" Jadeite clicked his thumb and middle finger together several times in attempts to find the right word.

"Detached" Regulus said in a bored tone.

"Yes! That's it! Detached!" Jadeite beamed at Regulus as if he had answered the most difficult question. "Kurapika-san seems detached today. Why is that?"

Basho just shrugged his shoulders as an answer. Even after years of working together, Kurapika still remains a stranger to him. Not that he really made an effort to know him better, but still, he doesn't know anything about him except his name and how formidable he is as a Hunter. He doesn't know what runs inside that intelligent mind of his making him quite awkward to work with. Whenever the blonde Hunter goes out to take care of his personal business, the pompadour-donning Hunter doesn't have any idea where the hell he goes to and when he plans to come back. Kurapika is so distant that he refuses to talk unless necessary. Basho has a suspicion that Kurapika is involved in something dangerous, though he doesn't harbor any injuries that can back-up his suspicion.

Melody, on the other hand, also has no means of knowing as to where the Kurta is heading but has an idea as to why he's going out this late at night. Kurapika is going to retrieve another pair of his clan's scarlet eyes from some body part collector. She doesn't consider whatever Kurapika is doing as stealing as she believes that the eyes belongs to him in the first place. But the Music Hunter still have to get use to Kurapika's remorseful and longing heartbeat whenever he leaves for the scarlet eyes.



HIGH class layer of security, that's what Kurapika thought he had to breach before he can get his hands on the pair of scarlet eyes the mansion is housing when he learned about it this afternoon from a very reliable source. Much to his disappointment and relief however, the guards patrolling didn't even put up much of a fight. Not less than 10 minutes after his arrival, he had already put 30 guards to unscheduled sleep with just one swoosh of his chain and now he was heading to the room where the scarlet eyes were supposed to be kept. When he arrived at the said room, he wasn't surprised to see another batch of armed guards waiting for him.

"Heh! How dare you trespass at my property! Guys like you don't know your place, do you?" A fat old man around late 50's and ugly beyond description stepped forward from the hoard of black-suit guards. He supposed the old man is the mansion's owner. Kurapika purposely forgot his name as he is not generous enough to spare a space on his mind for some bastard's name.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" The old man taunted when Kurapika didn't respond in any sort. "You really should have said your last words since you will meet your end here. Kill him!" At the wave of his hand, the guards pulled the trigger of their guns, trapping Kurapika in a rain of bullets.

Kurapika spread his right hand in front of him allowing the Dowsing Chain, the ball and chain attached to his ring finger to fall down. Before the first bullet could come in contact with him, the Blacklist Hunter whip the chain in front of him, trapping the bullet in one of the chain's rings. He repeatedly whip the chain in front of him until all of his chain’s rings has a bullet caught in between them. He then used the same chain to throw back the bullets to its owners. Kurapika succeeded on defeating his enemies with their own weapon but some bullets managed to pass his defense injuring him in the process. He used his Holy Chain, the cross-shaped chain attached to his thumb to heal himself and in a matter of seconds his wounds were gone leaving no scars.

The fat old man, seeing that his men were taken down by only one intruder, got down to his knees and shamelessly beg for mercy.

"Please, please don't kill me. I'll give you anything you want, money, property, anything, you name it, just don't kill me." The old man is already heavily weeping at this point that he didn't notice his snot flowing from his nose.

"Where's the scarlet eyes?"

"Huh?" The old man answered intelligently.

"Where's the scarlet eyes?" Kurapika repeated with venom laced on his voice making the old fart cower even lower.

"I-It's no longer here."

The Kurta Hunter squinted his eyes in disbelief at what the old man had just said. "What do you mean no longer here?"

"Two days ago someone broke-in in the mansion and stole the scarlet eyes."

Again using the Dowsing Chain, Kurapika determine if the old fart is lying. When he's certain that he's not, he roughly grabbed the latter's collar to pull him closer. "Who stole the eyes?"

"I-I don't know" the old man stuttered in fear when he saw the rage in Kurapika's eyes. "All I know is that she's a girl and has blonde hair just like you."

The blonde Kurta haphazardly threw the old man on the floor who immediately crawled to a safe distance away from him as soon as he felt the hard concrete. Kurapika then remembered that one incident when he raided a collector to retrieve his supposed third pair of Kurta eyes. That time he was also beaten to it by some thief who happened to be a day earlier than him. Now that he think about it, the thief was also a blonde girl. Could it be that the thief then and the thief now is the same? If yes, he has to stop her no matter what and get back the pairs of eyes that she had stolen.