InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sovereign Destiny ❯ Of Brothers and Friends ( Chapter 13 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sovereign Destiny
Chapter 12: Of Brothers and Friends
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha.
 
Story Summary:
A new threat will reunite the Yu Yu Hakusho team once again but this time the stakes are different and much higher. Will the once spirit detective and friends rise to this new challenge or will they prefer to sit back and allow fate to decide for them their place in the worlds?
 
Notes:
Nemaki - The traditional Japanese sleepwear. The robe looking thing you see girls sleeping in. Like Yusuke's ancestral mom or Kaoru from Rurouni Kenshin.
 
Chapter Tagline:
It was kind of ironic that three demons were the ones who wanted to protect his sister from heartache and that he was the one encouraging her to embrace it but if there is one thing that he had learned in his years as an observer is that a life without pain is in reality no life at all
 
Chapter 12: Of Brothers and Friends
 
It was almost two o'clock when Sota returned to Genkai's temple. His journey turned out to be relatively painless since he found all three demons in Sesshomaru territory but then again the journey was only one part of the ordeal. In theory he should have been able to drop the notes off and return to the living realm but since Shippo had opened the note and promptly proclaimed “Koenma” before he could sneak off it was not to be so. Instead he got the pleasure of explaining to three very powerful and very irritated demons why Kagome had reconnected with Koenma before discussing it with them.
 
It was not that they expected her to report every move to them. Quite the contrary, she hardly ever asked permission or told them what she was up to but this was different. This had a great possibility of ending in heartache and they did not like the idea of not being present to kill whoever was responsible because once in their opinion was enough for her. Sota explained with the utmost patience that was the very reason why she had not told them.
 
It was kind of ironic that three demons were the ones who wanted to protect his sister from heartache and that he was the one encouraging her to embrace it but if there is one thing that he had learned in his years as an observer is that a life without pain is in reality no life at all. How he could explain to demons that already knew this very well and make them realize they were acting like overprotective and overbearing big brothers, who looked very silly while doing so, was beyond him. So after a lot of arguing, explaining, and then sleeping Sota had enough of the demons company and decided to return to his sister.
 
Sota could sense that the majority of the group was gone and thought it would be reasonable to assume that his sister had them running around looking for the other sacred objects of Gaia. He could sense that the end of this ordeal was coming soon and though he could not foresee if the outcome would be what he desired he felt confident that his sister would finally be where she belonged.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Koenma was the first to notice Sota return and raised a hand in greeting as he entered the room. After Sota confirmed his suspicion and found out his sister was sleeping he joined the others in their card game. It wasn't too much longer until Yusuke and Kayko returned which surprised Koenma since they hadn't been gone that long.
 
“The second shrine we went to was a winner,” Yusuke announced.
 
“Yes, I don't have any spiritual awareness and even I could feel that the tree at that shrine was not ordinary,” Kayko added.
 
“Why that's wonderful!” Botan exclaimed.
 
Koenma nodded his head in agreement, “One more and then we will be ready.”
 
As the day went on the others returned. First Genkai and Mitarai followed shortly by Hiei and then Kido, Kaito, and Yanagishawa. None of them had any luck but were encouraged to find out Yusuke had found one of the objects. When Kurama and Shizuru returned they informed everyone that they had found the last object. It was decided that with Kagome and Kuwabara sleeping there was nothing else that could be done until morning and that it would be wise for everyone to get as much rest as possible. So everyone made it an early night.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Shizuru opened her eyes and stared up in the dark room. As her eyes adjusted to her surroundings she could hear the rhythmic breathing of Kayko, Botan, and Yukina who were sleeping next to her. She did not know why she was awakened but she could tell she would not be able to fall back to sleep soon. As quietly as she could she stood and slipped out of the room and then out of the house.
 
The property was brightly illuminated by a full moon that caused everything to have a silver glow. She walked around lost in thought until she came to the front of the temple. She stopped when she saw Kagome leaning against a tree staring down the stairs that lead to the temple. The effect of the silver glow from the moon was amplified with the white nemaki that Kagome was wearing. Her hair was down from her usual high ponytail that Shizuru had seen her with. The whole scene seemed angelic and heavenly.
 
It then suddenly occurred to Shizuru what must have awoken her. When everyone went to go to bed they found that Kagome had taken the one bed in the girl's room and her brother had taken over the room including the bed that Koenma had been using. After a good laugh Koenma said that Kuwabara and Kagome need the best rest possible and promptly fixed his spot on the floor before Botan or George could protest. When Shizuru awoke she did not hear Kagome breathing and it kind of disturbed her that she had overlooked her absence.
 
Shizuru was silently approaching when Kagome spoke. “Your brother asked me to continue training him once this is over. Are you okay with that?” she asked before turning her head to look Shizuru in the eyes.
 
“Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be?” Shizuru asked as she took a seat on the steps by Kagome's feet. Kagome, seeing Shizuru sitting, sunk down to where she was also sitting with her head resting on her knees and her arms wrapped around her legs. They talked for a few minutes before Hiei's voice came from out of nowhere, stopping the girl's conversation.
 
“You human females should be inside sleeping,” he said as he appeared just a little ways off.
 
“Of course you're right,” was Kagome's response but she made no move to leave. Shizuru watched in amusement as they had a silent stand off. She could tell that Hiei had no idea what to make of the girl in front of him and that Kagome was debating on saying something or not.
 
Shizuru was not sure what part of what happened next shocked her more. The fact that Kagome just casually stood up, walked over to Hiei and pulled the two stones he wore around his neck out from under his shirt or the fact he just stood there and just let her do it.
 
“You need to tell her soon,” Kagome said as she played with the stones in her hand.
 
“Stay out of what isn't your concern,” Hiei responded with fire flashing through his eyes.
 
“You're right it isn't any of my business but I must warn you it will soon be out of your control. You need to tell her before that happens,” Kagome told him in a soft and gentle voice as if he was a wounded animal she didn't want to scare off.
 
“I can't. I have my reasons,” Hiei said as he stepped away and Kagome let go of the stones.
 
“Yes you do have your reason which is that you're a selfish coward,” as she finished her sentence Hiei pulled out his sword, “Is that really necessary?” she said pointing at the sword.
 
Hiei looked at the sword in is hand for a moment and said, “Hn,” before putting it away.
 
&&Point of View Change&&
 
Hiei was surprised at himself. He had just pulled a sword out on Koenma's mate-to-be without even thinking about it when a moment before he had let her get close enough to him to touch his mother's tears. This woman definitely had a way about her that just confused people.
 
Hiei was tempted to just walk away since he had accomplished what he had set out to do, telling them to go to bed because he knew Koenma would want Kagome to be resting, but he wanted to know what she meant.
 
“How will it become out of my control?” he asked.
 
“That is not my place to tell you. You will see soon enough,” Kagome told him.
 
Hiei could see she was not going to budge so just continued on, “Explain,” Kagome did not need to ask what she already knew.
 
“All you think about is you. It's how you lived most of your life and old habits die hard. You think about how she might react to you or to the things you have done. You find yourself unworthy and it's selfish because, Hiei, it is not about you, it's about Yukina. She needs her brother and it's not for revenge or hatred it is because he is a part of her and is the only one who might have a clue to understanding her. You are the only one who can fill that certain hole in her heart. It doesn't matter who you are or what you have done or how `worthy' you are. Don't use your mistakes of your past as excuses to make more mistakes in the present,” she explained.
 
After listening to her words and seeing the truth in her eyes Hiei made a decision. Fate had chosen a perfect match for Koenma and she was someone he could respect. He was not yet ready to think on what he needed to do about Yukina but when the time came he would take her words into consideration.
 
Before anything else was said Kagome reached a hand out and pulled Shizuru up and without letting go of her hand lead her back inside. Hiei went back to his tree where, for the remainder of the night, his thoughts were full of Mukuro.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Kuwabara woke up before dawn to find that everyone else was already up. After he got ready for the day he went in to the kitchen where he found some of the girls cooking and everyone else talking. He scanned the room observing each person with a new fascination. He could now see their life energy along with their spirit or demon energy and this told him a lot more like what their true emotions were.
 
As he studied everyone he noticed something that left him feeling stunned. He looked down at his arm so he could see his own life energy and then looked at his sister just to be certain. When it was confirmed he became lost in thought suddenly a lot of things made sense. He stood there for a few moments until Kagome noticed him and got his attention.
 
“Here,” she handed him a bowel of different kinds of fruit.
 
“What's this?” he asked confused.
 
“Our breakfast!” she said excitedly, “see I'm having the same thing,” and she showed him her bowl.
 
“You mean we don't get to eat what they're cooking?” Kuwabara said gesturing to Yukina and Kayko.
 
“Nope, you see these fruits can give a little boost to things like focus and spiritual awareness. Of course it's not much of one but hey we are just mere humans with a really big task ahead of us and we could use all the help we can get, right Hiei?” she said while looking directly at Kuwabara and her back to Hiei. Hiei responded with a glare but Kuwabara could see that he was amused.
 
“Well then, do you think we can eat in the training area? I have a few things I want to go over with you alone,” Kuwabara said it as a question but it was no mistake to anyone who knew him well enough that he didn't mean it as a request.
 
“Why of course. Whatever you wish,” Kagome said before following him out of the room.
 
“What's with him?” he heard Yusuke say as they left the area.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
When they reached the training area Kagome wasted no time, “What's wrong?”
 
“Hiei is Yukina's brother and almost all of them in there already know! You had to have known too,” Kuwabara started out calm and got madder as he continued. Kagome reached an arm out to keep him quiet. This was not something the others needed to overhear.
 
“Yes that is true,” Kagome told him. Kuwabara went to yell something but Kagome put her fingers on his mouth to stop him, “I know you're angry but you have to understand Hiei doesn't want her to know at least not yet and it is not mine or anyone else's place to tell her what he will not.”
 
“I will not lie to her,” was Kuwabara response.
 
“I'm not asking you to. Although it is not my place to tell her because it is none of my business it is yours. You love her and it would be wrong to keep it from her. I have already warned Hiei that he needs to step up. Just give him today and if he still doesn't come forward feel free to tell her tomorrow,” Kagome said.
 
“It would be better if she heard it from him. Okay the shrimp's got one day but then I'm telling her but not before I pound him into the ground for being a jerk,” Kuwabra said with determination in his eyes.
 
Kagome sighed, “Okay but don't do anything like punching Yusuke. We need this team in top condition and you need to save your energy. Okay?” Kuwabara nodded and they ate their breakfast while discussing things that involved his training.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Dawn was cracking when the group came together to hear how this was going to be done. Kagome explained to them that she would be taking one human realm sacred object of Gaia and two of demon realm's while Kuwabara would be taking two of human realm's and one of demon realm's.
 
“I think it would be best if I handled Sesshomaru and Koga,” she explained, “oh and I insist you go with Kuwabara's group Koenma.”
 
“What!? Not happening Kagome I'm going with you,” Koenma said firmly but Kagome did not back down.
 
“Do I need to remind you of how your `relationship' with Sesshomaru was? The last thing I need is for you to get in a battle of egos with the world's most prideful demon. At least I know you can get along with Shippo,” Kagome said exasperated.
 
“Don't worry Koenma, I'll go with her and make sure she behaves herself like a good girl,” Yusuke said intervening. Koenma did not look happy but did not argue.
 
“Okay so Koenma's on my team and Yusuke is on Kagome's. Let's see what about everyone else?” Kuwabara said.
 
“I'll go with you Kazuma,” Yukina said with a shy smile.
 
“You need to go with Kuwabara too Sota, since they will need a guide to Shippo's,” Kagome said and her brother nodded in agreement.
 
“I'm going with Yusuke,” Kayko said while looking at Yusuke almost daring him to disagree but Yusuke just laughed.
 
“I'm staying with my brother,” Shizuru said.
 
Genkai then took charge, “I'll go with Kuwabara's group. Mitarai, Kido, Kaito, and Yanagishawa go with Kagome, you might learn something. That leaves Kurama and Hiei.”
 
“I'll go with the fool's group. If he is the leader I'm sure that's where the trouble will be,” Hiei said with a smirk.
 
“Why you…” Kuwabara said but was cut off when Kurama diplomatically stepped in front of him.
 
“Then I guess that leaves me to go with Kagome,” he said.
 
“Okay then it's settled,” Kagome said, “Well then the first thing we should do is go to my family shrine together. That way I can figure out how this works.”
 
“What you don't know what you're doing!?” Yusuke yelled, “Then what was all that training for?”
 
“I know the technique I have just never used it before. This hasn't been done in hundreds of years. I just want to make sure it works before we separate,” Kagome said this as calmly as she could but the disbelieving look Yusuke was giving her pushed her over the edge, “You're an irritating little pest!” Kagome finished with an aggravated growl.
 
“No need to get bent out of shape! Not my fault you don't know what you're doing,” Yusuke said as he walked by her towards the front of the shrine, full smirk in place, “Well we better get going.”
 
Everyone followed but not before Kagome turned to Kuwabara and told him, “Never mind what I said earlier, hit him as much as you want.”