InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Shift of Time ❯ The First Occurrence ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Shift of Time
By: KibaSin/Kiba
 
Summary: When a new Slytherin student suddenly shows up out of nowhere, Hermione is bewildered. But, as she tries to solve the mystery, she finds that slowly reality is changing and nothing seems real anymore. [Harry Potter x Inuyasha Crossover]
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the Inuyasha or Harry Potter series. They belong to Takahashi Rumiko-sama and J. K. Rowling. I respect that and gain nothing from this piece of work except self-accomplishment.
 
Genre: General/Drama/Somewhat Mystery
 
Rating: T
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Note: This story will only be a few chapters long, because it's something that just popped into my head and won't leave me alone. I was listening to the song “What Kind of Name is Hermione?” by “The Parselmouths” which would probably explain the reason it's Harry Potter based.
 
But, anyway, don't ask me about the pairing. This story is only a few chapters long, so I won't get into it very much. But, I'd say that if it went into the future wise, it would probably end up being Draco x Kagome, `cause I like that pairing. However, I'm not taking it that far and there won't really be that much romance.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“There is an ancient and powerful ability locked deep inside your soul, and it causes others to instinctively fear you. They cannot look beyond it, despite your kind and generous heart, and because of that, I place you into the hands of Slytherin.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Chapter One: The First Occurrence
 
It was another wonderful year at Hogwarts. Hermione could not ask for anything more—well, except that Ron might show a bit more concern with what was happening around him. She had great friends, she was in the best Hogwarts House, and her marks were already top of the class.
 
Yes, fifth year was definitely looking up.
 
Of course, there was the trouble of Voldemort's return, and the occasional rise in Death Eater activity, but none of that could make it into Hogwarts walls. The magical school was protected in more ways than one, and Hermione knew from her reading that these wards and barriers would keep them at bay. There was not a thing in the world that she could think of that could get inside its walls if the school was designed to keep them out.
 
That was probably the reason Hermione's day spiraled downhill.
 
She had gone to all her classes for the last week with no strange occurrences. Everything had gone as she thought it would. Go to class, get an assignment, listen to Ron complain about it, do the work, secretively put the assignment where Ron could find it to copy, and once in a while watch as Harry got into a spat with Draco Malfoy. That was the way it had been every year, with the exception of their adventures, and she fully expected fifth year to be the same.
 
Yet, something about that day made Hermione pause while she was tugging her shirt over her head. It was a bad time for such a thing to happen, since the other girls had giggled about it until she clipped her prefect badge to her robes. Apparently having to stare at her bra and skin for about fifty-five seconds was the most amusing thing they had seen all week, but the strange feeling that had caused it struck her more than their amusement.
 
She had gone to class, striding through the material with ease and waiting for the few classes she would have with Ron and Harry. She was already on her way to preparing for her O.W.L.s, though she was still rather angry with Dolores Umbridge's teaching and detention methods, and she believed she deserved a little time listening to Ron and Harry. At least, listening to them either making fun of something so ridiculous it was only funny to them or complain about the work assigned to them.
 
Throughout the day, though, that single moment in the morning made her think. It was not often she got a sudden chill, but when she did, she knew that something was not right. And by the time Care of Magical Creatures rolled around, she was definitely beginning to think that. Especially when she paused before reaching Hagrid's hut, but she chalked that up as annoyance toward the Slytherin horde standing to one side, impatient and waiting for a chance to make fun of the half-giant.
 
They were like a pack of vultures, waiting to consume whatever was placed in front of them. Hermione knew that there had to be at least one bright light in the group, but her view on Slytherin had been tainted since the first day at Hogwarts. She could not understand how someone could be so cruel, or grow up to become so evil, and she shuddered just thinking about it. And she hoped more than anything that she was never placed into a position that made her even think of being like them.
 
Glancing to see that, yes, Draco Malfoy was the head of the group; Hermione shook her head and headed to find Harry and Ron. She found them talking with Hagrid behind his hut, and greeted them instantly. The Slytherin House might tarnish the class, but nothing could keep her from getting happy when seeing her friends.
 
“'Ermione, good to see ya,” Hagrid smiled.
 
“It's good to see you, too, Hagrid,” Hermione smiled back.
 
Harry glanced up, saying, “We were wondering where you were.”
 
“I had to give detention to a Ravenclaw student,” Hermione explained. “The students do not seem to realize that they are not allowed to use Fred and George's supplies to get out of class, and when I saw her perfectly well outside of class, I simply had to write her up.”
 
Ron rolled his eyes. The job of prefect was really starting to get to Hermione's head, but he was glad that he did not have to do much.
 
Unfortunately, Hermione saw the look, and snapped, “Don't give me that look, Ronald Weasley! They might be your family, but I am not going to let them get away with every little thing. And this year they will learn that they are banned.”
 
Ron leaned into Harry, asking what he had done, but only received a shrug of the shoulder.
 
Huffing, Hermione turned her attention back to the half-giant. Smiling once more, she asked, “So, Hagrid, what are we doing today?”
 
“Today, we're going to be studyin' unicorns,” Hagrid replied with a proud note in his tone. “Me and Fang managed to wrangle `er up this morning!”
 
“Oh!” Hermione beamed. It sounded like a wonderful subject, especially since she had taken an interest in most magical creatures and read up on them whenever she had time. She was sure that today she would learn even more, but she wanted to show Hagrid just how much she had learned on her own.
 
Class began without a hitch, though Hermione could hear the slight snickering and whispered voices of the Slytherins. Her attention was more focused on the subject at hand, though, then Malfoy's constant need to narrate everything Hagrid said. In the back of her mind, she realized that it was not Draco doing the narrating today, but did not think much on it.
 
Hagrid began by bringing the shy creature out into the open, allowing them to see the soft glow that the white unicorn gave off. The horse-like creature pawed at the ground, eyeing them warily, before calming after a few moments. It bent to gnaw at the grass when Hagrid asked his first question, and Hermione instantly allowed her hand to shoot into the air. However, she was surprised when Hagrid spoke.
 
“Ah, Miss `Igurashi,” Hagrid called.
 
A voice called from the back of the class, giving the answer in a soft, kind tone. The answer was complete and to the point, and Hermione turned her head swiftly as her hand fell from the air. No one ever answered the question before her, though a bunch of the jealous Slytherin girls tried time and again. So, Hermione was surprised to see a Slytherin, seated next to Malfoy, speaking.
 
That probably would not have caused Hermione as much confusion as what she thought of next, though. As she looked at the obviously fifth year Slytherin, she wondered where she had come from. She had never heard the name Higurashi, and she certainly had never seen the short Asian girl with stunning blue eyes within any of her classes. It was possible that she had overlooked her, but if she was a fifth year—as her being in the class indicated—then Hermione would have seen her at least at the Sorting Hat ceremony in their first year.
 
After Hagrid congratulated her on getting the answer correct, he continued on with the lesson. Hermione steeled herself, determined to beat the black haired Asian that she had never seen before, but when the next question came, the girl raised her hand before her once more. When she answered the question correctly, Hagrid rewarded her, allowing her to come to the front of the class and approach the skittish creature.
 
Hermione's mind swirled as the girl walked by her, allowing herself a moment to look over the short stature, beautiful black hair, and shining blue eyes. With the second inspection, Hermione was positive that she had never seen that girl before. Never. Not in the five long years she had been at Hogwarts, and not for the last week and a half of school.
 
“Now, you've got to move very slowly,” Hagrid explained, “or she's going to bolt.”
 
The Slytherin stepped forward calmly, slowly as Hagrid had instructed, and held out the palm of her hand. The unicorn reared its head up from eating, and eyed the girl cautiously. Hermione, in a small fit of jealousy, almost wished the unicorn would bolt, but she was surprised when the majestic creature flared its nostrils and leaned forward to sniff the girl's hand. The horn came inches from striking her, while it did so, before the Slytherin slowly rotated her hand and placed it upon the unicorn's snout.
 
Hagrid was beaming, allowing his grip on the rope in his hand to slacken. Hermione could tell that he was very proud of the Slytherin girl, but Hermione wanted to hiss. First, she had no idea who this Slytherin was, and second, she had expected the unicorn to take offence to her.
 
Another question rattled its way into Hermione's mind as she watched the girl stroke the unicorn. Hagrid was still giving her instructions, telling her how to move in order to make the unicorn trust her and how to make it move closer to her. But, as Hermione bit her lip, she wondered if Dumbledore knew the girl was in the school. He had not introduced her at the beginning of the year, and she certainly never put the Sorting Hat upon her head, for Hermione would have remembered. So, Hermione had to wonder if Dumbledore even knew she was there.
 
“Hey, Hermione,” Ron whispered from her right. “Are you feelin' alright?”
 
Nodding her head, Hermione turned to him. “Yes,” she replied. “But that girl there—”
 
Ron looked up in confusion, grinning a little. He did not let Hermione finish, as he said, “Blimey, what's gotten into you? That's Higurashi Kagome. You know, the same Higurashi Kagome that transferred here from the Academy in Japan halfway through our first year. Don't tell me you've forgotten?”
 
“Forgotten?” Hermione narrowed her eyes. “I have not forgotten, Ron, because she was never there.”
 
“Of course she was,” Ron laughed quietly. Then, nudging Harry's arm, he said, “Hey, Harry. Can you believe this? Hermione says she never seen Kagome before.”
 
Harry gave her the same confused look, saying, “What? Hermione, she came to Hogwarts halfway through our first year. She was in our Transfiguration class, remember? Professor McGonagall said she had great talent in the area and that she could probably find a career in it.”
 
“Yeah,” Ron nodded his head in agreement. “She was in our Potions class, too. And Malfoy was quick to snatch up her friendship.”
 
“They're basically inseparable,” Harry continued. “You've got to remember that. She's stopped him from trying to fight with us a few times, and she seems like an ok person.”
 
“No one that came out of Slytherin was ok,” Ron muttered. “Give her a few more years, she'll be as nasty as the rest of `em.”
 
Hermione listened to what they said, but she was solid in what she believed. She had never seen that girl before, no matter what they said. She had never heard her name, and she certainly did not remember her appearing halfway through their first year. There was no way she could have missed something like that, since Dumbledore would have probably had some sort of ceremony for the transfer and made her Sorting public to the rest of the school.
 
So, she huffed and turned her attention back to the Asian girl. There was no changing Ron and Harry's minds, though she wondered how they could believe such things. They had not happened! So, they should not remember them and they should be questioning the girl's appearance as much as she was.
 
Ron turned to Harry, shrugging, “Wonder what's gotten into her?”
 
“Donno,” Harry frowned. He pushed up his glasses as they sank a little lower on his face, before turning back to listen as Kagome answered another one of Hagrid's questions.
 
Hermione wanted to curse, while she watched the Slytherin girl pet the unicorn. She would not be able to ride it, since the creature's nature would not allow anyone to try and tame it in such a way. However, she was surprised with how quickly the unicorn had calmed while around the girl, allowing her the liberty of touching as much fur as she could reach. And it only strengthened her view of her, because there was honestly no way she could forget such a momentous event.
 
Hogwarts had not received a transfer in eighty years. She would have remembered when they did, since she remembered everything that had happened to them. All of those events were one of a kind for Hogwarts, and she had never forgotten a single one of them, so there was simply no possible way she would forget something like that.
 
The class ended fairly quickly, despite Hermione's annoyance with the way the Slytherin hogged all the time in Care of Magical Creatures. Though, she supposed that was typical of one. And it was probably even more typical of one that showed up out of nowhere, yet only she seemed to realize it.
 
Heck, even as they were heading back to the castle, none of the Slytherins seemed to notice. She could understand that Malfoy would ignore such a thing if such a pretty girl decided to suddenly hang around him all the time, but what about Pansy or Blaise. At least Pansy should be glaring at the girl, demanding that she leave her Drakie-kins alone. Yet neither of them did anything, laughing and speaking rapidly with her, as Malfoy slipped in closer to her side and took her hand.
 
Hermione left Ron and Harry in the corridor, waving them off as they asked if she was really ok. Her next class was spent trying to cut her time in half, using most of it for the lesson and the other half for contemplating. Nothing could penetrate Hogwarts walls, yet that girl had. She had obviously waltzed inside and done something, anything that was causing everyone to think they knew her.
 
And another large question that swirled in her head was, why was she not affected? Why was she the only person, probably in the entire school, that had not been affected by whatever the girl had done? Why had that girl singled her out? Or had she? Was it something that had gone wrong when she cast her spell—no, there was no spell she could think of that could do such a thing—or had she purposely left her out of the loop?
 
Was that it? Had she singled her out, knowing that she was the smartest witch of their time? Was she working for Voldemort? Was she using her strange magic to single out Harry's friends to eliminate them under Voldemort's orders? And if that was true, where in the world had Voldemort found this girl? What kind of magic did she use?
 
As she moved onto Potions class at the end of the day, almost dreading seeing the Slytherins again, Hermione was not sure about anything. The girl could be working for Voldemort, but why would a majestic and knowing creature like a unicorn take to her so well if she was? And it was that single incident that made Hermione rethink her possibility, since a unicorn would have known and would have tried to get away.
 
Of course, her day only got a little worse when she walked into Potions class. Snape, noticing her slipping through the door, instantly docked twenty points from Gryffindor. Then, he snapped at her to go to her seat, before going on with the lesson. Hermione was not really paying that much attention, but she did raise her hand the instant she recognized a question, though she knew Snape would probably ignore her.
 
“Miss Higurashi,” Snape called.
 
Hermione's hand slipped from the air, noticing that the Slytherin girl was indeed in the classroom, as she had expected her to be. She answered the question with ease, even going into details that were not needed for the current lesson, which resulted in Snape giving the Slytherin House twenty points. And once again Hermione thought it was not fair, because who was this girl, and why had she suddenly popped out of nowhere just to make sure she, Hermione, never answered a question?
 
Was she there just to torture her? Take away everything she held dear, though she doubted Ron and Harry would go skipping over to the Slytherin if she asked them to be her friends. The girl had to know that, so what was the point in even trying to torture her? She could take away her ability to answer questions, but she would never be able to take away her friends, and that was truly what Hermione held dear.
 
Still, when it was time to turn in the potion that day, Hermione almost cried when she noticed that the one labeled `Higurashi Kagome and Draco Malfoy' was a tint lighter in color than her own. Hers was the perfect color for what Snape wanted, but the text clearly stated that the lighter the better.
 
As class ended, Ron and Harry hovering over her in concern, Hermione could not get the thought out of her head. Surely that girl was there just to torture her. Not to get at the famous Harry Potter, or because Voldemort was pulling at her strings, but just because she wanted to torture her. Why, Hermione had no idea, but she was positive that was the reason.
 
Because why else would the girl make it so everyone except her knew exactly who she was? Why else would she show up and take the pleasure of answering the questions asked away from her? Why else would she, Hermione, be the only person in the entire school that had never seen, heard of, or met Higurashi Kagome before?
 
Surely, this was something Dumbledore needed to be aware of.