InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Jewel of Nature ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shippo watched with interest his mother's face. Though others didn't know it, her silver-blue orbs were the window to her soul. And her soul was still one of the purest he'd ever seen in his life and since he was over five hundred years old that's a really long life. When she lifted her head to look at the man holding her, he could see something beginning to grow there that he hadn't seen in a very long time. A knowing smirk crossed his young features, now if only he could help push this emotion along then maybe he'd end up with a father. Maybe. This Logan dude looked like he could be denying what he was feeling for his mother though. He looked up as his mother awoke from her self-induced trance.
"They're gonna be extremely hungry. It'd be smart to get some food and water down here. Deep breathes mom, you're back in reality again. Logan put her back on the bed please." he watched her with worried eyes. No matter how many times she did this it took a toll on her. And with this new jewel on the loose around her, goddess help them, her soul would be torn with these new fragments. He watched as she tried to wave off their help and stand on her own again, determination shining in the depths of her eyes. He took note that she still held onto Logan though he doubted either truly noticed the contact.
"Shippo?" she asked her eyes closed, he knew that she couldn't see right now. So much energy had been used to view a world unseen by their eyes that it had short circuited her eyes. She would be blind for a couple of hours and completely dependent upon him.
"I'm here. Keep them closed you know letting the light touch them only slows the healing process. Please let Logan take you to a room please?" she sighed but nodded and leaned into Logan who seemed to jump at her slight touch before relaxing into it.
"I trust you, kit, as I always have. I'm afraid that I know none of the other six in this room besides Logan. And since I lack your names and your positions in this institute I do not know who to ask my question to." he smiled when guilty looks took over the other's faces. His mother always seemed to be able to invoke a guilty feeling with in others. The professor rolled forward toward her and she took a step back effectively keeping her foot from being squashed beneath a tire. In this state her miko powers increased tenfold acting as her sight. She could see their auras but almost nothing more.
"I am Professor Charles Xavier and you are at the Xavier Institute for Gifted Children. It is a safe place and learning facility for those with mutant abilities. It is nice to meet you Kagome. I will let the others introduce themselves." she nodded and took his offered hand, all while her eyes remained closed.
"I take it you are Chuck? It is nice to meet some one with such a helpful aura. These others too have lovely auras almost untainted by the hands of hatred and yet someone's is hurting dreadfully." she turned her head towards the others but no one knew of who she spoke. At the Professor's nod Hank took a step towards the girl.
"I'm Hank. You say you can see our aura's may I ask how?" she smiled and with a hidden glance at him nodded. Her relaxed body told him everything he needed to know. This Logan was good for her. He had noticed that when she came into contact with him, she seemed to relax fully.
"I'm a miko as I'm sure my little Shippo has told you. One of my abilities is to read auras though it works best at times like these when I've damaged my eyes." Hank nodded and seemed to be off in thought; she smiled even though she could not see him nod at her. The next to step forward was a woman with pure white hair and dark skin. He'd not seen much of her while he'd been down here and therefore knew little of her himself.
"My name is Ororo, Kagome. If you do not mind may I ask why your eyes are damaged?" Kagome laughed gently, sounding almost like a mellow bell.
"I delved into the world unseen by mortal eyes. My eyes were unable to see both worlds and thus are damaged in this realm but not in that one. I'd do it again to for it is only temporary. They shall heal in an hour and all will be the same. Stop feeling guilty, Logan, I did it because I wished to. You couldn't have stopped me if you tried." She turned and placed her smaller hand in his. She looked up at him and smiled, as if telling him all was well. Scott next took a hesitant step forward.
"I'm Scott Summers, one of the many students here." she nodded and examined where the jewel seemed to center itself in this one. In his eyes, she didn't doubt that it had hurt him deeply when it had awakened.
"I'm sorry little one for what this jewel has done to you. It affected your eyes though in what way I do not know." he stared at her for a couple seconds shocked before Jean rolled her eyes and moved him out of the way. Kagome chuckled as she watched this new girl's aura. She seemed to have a crush on Scott.
"Hello, I'm Jean Grey another of the students here. It's a pleasure to meet you.” Kagome arched a brow at her and leaned at bit more heavily on Logan as her energy began to deplete as it focused on her eyes.
“Yes indeed, well as long as you keep from my mind. You and the professor that is. The last one, my dear would you mind terribly if we were introduced later? When my sight is restored and my body does not feel like dropping out at a moment's notice.” she gazed at Rogue with such accuracy that it was all she could do to stutter out an agreement.
“Logan, please take my mother to her room now. She's being stubborn and allowing herself to remain when all her energy has focused on her eyes leaving her barely enough to stand with.” His words were punctuated by her yawn as she leaned more heavily on Logan her body starting to relax in a sleepy state.
“Be quiet, Shippo, your loud again. Oh Professor may I ask something of you?” she spoke quietly and almost with a childish accent on her sleepy words.
“Of course child then you must go to bed.” She nodded against Logan's chest as he picked her up.
“In about two hours could you have all your students gather somewhere for me so I can remove the jewel from them, please. Thank you, all of you; I'll see you in two hours.” Then she relaxed fully in Logan's arms, like a kitten. They knew she was now asleep as the glow of her miko powers surrounded her eyes much like when Rouge absorbed Scott's power only a different color. When Logan had left the room with the petite woman they all looked to her grinning son.
“Yes?” he raised a brow and hid his amused chuckle. They were very easy to predict, probably because his mother was so unpredictable except in her desire to help any and all she could.
“Will she really be better in only two hours?” he rolled his eyes, out of all the questions they could have asked they asked a boring one.
“With Kagome you learn to expect the unexpected. Besides if she says she'll be ready then she will be, she rarely ever lies. And if that is all, I need to call my uncle.” At Charles nod he left, a devilish twinkle in his eyes.