InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Different Life ❯ To Move into Contact ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The entire school was buzzing about getting a new student. It was said that she was a very promising student, someone who had class. The girls were wondering who this mystery girl was and the guys were wondering if she were as gorgeous as the rumors said. The Sohma family had their questions and wonders but had never said anything; they all had their own problems.
 
“I do wonder about this girl.” Momiji said.
 
Hatsuharu nodded, he looked at Yuki and Kyo. Tohru was coming later.
 
“I heard she lived at a shrine.” A girl said as she passed them.
 
“Yeah but not anymore. Her family died.” A boy said.
 
“How?” Another asked.
 
“There was a fire. It was in the papers, the Higurashi shrine.” The boy said.
 
“No kidding.” A girl said. “How sad, she's all alone.”
 
“Nah. She saved her brother and some small kid, a friend of his or something.” Someone else said.
 
The Sohma group just looked at each other. They were told that, Shigure and Hatori had read the paper about the accident. They said that there was a full investigation because of the claw marks around the home. Shigure said that the young woman had run into the house when no one else would go near it. The fire had engulfed the entire home but the girl still went inside. People thought she was committing suicide because of her running but she came out with two children.
 
“Yuki-kun, Kyo-kun, Momiji-chan, Hatsuharu-kun!” Tohru called out.
 
They turned and saw her running toward them, tripping and falling to the ground. They watched as a young woman stepped out and caught her right before her nose hit the ground. She was the same size as Tohru but she looked different. She had long black hair and smoky blue eyes. Her skin was pale, a healthy and vibrant pale…it gave off the look of royalty. She was just gorgeous.
 
“You should be careful. You might get hurt.” The girl said softly.
 
“Of course. Thank you.” Tohru stuttered.
 
The girl nodded and walked away. Everyone watched, she didn't say anything else. Yuki noticed that she had a sad aura surrounding her. Tohru walked toward the Sohma family and watched with them. She was different and she was fast, she was nowhere near her when she fell.
 
“I wonder who she is.” Hatsuharu said.
 
Kyo stared at her, she looked oddly familiar.
 
“Let's go home.” Momiji said. “I'm hungry.”
 
Tohru laughed and nodded. She would think about that girl some other time.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Sometimes she wondered if it was all worth it. Her journey through Feudal Japan was over. Naraku was dead, Sango and Miroku were dead, and Kaede was dead. Inuyasha was somewhere, she didn't care where. Kikyo was dead and her soul was complete, her soul was different though. Inuyasha had wished Kikyo back to him, wishing her soul to return to the previous owner. Kagome was given the Shikon no Tama as her soul instead, watching in morbid fascination as Kikyo's body decayed and crumbled, the soul moving on to its next owner.
 
“Goodbye Inuyasha. Let us pray we never meet.” Kagome said softly.
 
She walked into her new apartment and sighed, getting ready to cook dinner for her and her family.
 
“Mama.” A small voice cried out.
 
“I'm here Shippo-chan.” Kagome said.
 
“Kagome-nee-chan. Your school, tomorrow. Do we have to go?” Souta asked.
 
Kagome nodded.
 
“Yes, at lease you're not going to school yet. You'll start next year. I've made plans with the teachers and the principle.” Kagome said.
 
Souta nodded and went back to his video games, his nephew sitting next to him. How did things go so badly? He never thought that Inuyasha, he once idol, would attack the family like that. It amazed him when Kagome had run to him, carrying both him and Shippo out of the house just before it collapsed.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
The three of them stopped in front of the building. Shippo was sleeping, his face buried in his mother's neck. Souta was holding onto her hand. Kagome looked down at her brother and squeezed his hand.
 
“It's okay.” Kagome whispered.
 
The three of them walked onto campus, everyone turning and looking at them. Souta crept closer and closer to Kagome, his hand clenching her shirt as her arm wrapped around his shoulders. He looked and saw Shippo still sleeping, his disguise perfectly in place. They walked into the office and sat down. Souta was practically lying in Kagome's lap.
 
“Good Morning Miss Higurashi, we are so pleased that you've come to join us.” The principle said.
 
“I'm honored you have accepted me as well as my brother and son.” Kagome said.
 
The principle nodded.
 
“I understand that you've suffered a great deal with the loss of your mother and grandfather. Please accept my condolences.” The principle said.
 
“Thank you.” Kagome said.
 
The principle sat down and ushered Kagome and her brother to do the same.
 
“You've joined us in the middle of the year Miss Higurashi. I understand that you are ahead of the students here but please be patient; they do strive for the best. You are in your first year of high school yes?” The principle asked.
 
“Yes, that is correct.” Kagome answered.
 
“I think to make things more challenging for you, I would like you to join the second year's.” The principle said.
 
“If you think that is for the best.” Kagome said.
 
The principle smiled. She was soft spoken but at the same time she told him what she believed and what she wanted. He wished there were more students like her; he would just absolutely adore teaching if it were.
 
“I will have someone show you around. Though I should warn you, he usually has people following him.” The principle said.
 
“That is fine.” Kagome answered.
 
“Hai. Sensei Yamashita, please send Sohma, Yuki to the office.” The principle said.
 
He motioned for Kagome to follow him. She and her brother walked out, Souta still hiding himself and clutching his sister. He saw that everyone was staring at them and it was starting to irritate him.
 
“It's okay Souta.” Kagome said softly.
 
He nodded but didn't release his strong grip on her clothing.
 
“Ah, Yuki-san. This is Higurashi, Kagome. She will be joining us for the rest of the school year. Would you be so kind as to show her around?” The principle asked.
 
Yuki looked at the group in front of him. She was the young woman from the day before. He looked at the small child cowering next to her and the small child in her arms, sleeping.
 
“It would be my pleasure. It's nice to meet you Higurashi-san. I am Sohma, Yuki.” He said.
 
Yuki bent down to the small child and smiled at him.
 
“It's also a pleasure to meet you. What is your name?” Yuki asked.
 
Souta looked at him fearfully for all of three seconds before he beamed.
 
“I'm Higurashi, Souta. I'm Kagome's little brother. It's a pleasure to meet you Yuki-san.” Souta said.
 
Yuki smiled and nodded. He looked up and saw the girl smiling. She looked beautiful when she smiled. Last night, the family was talking about it, the girl. She was most puzzling. Nobody could find anything on her. Kyo had said something about her being really familiar but couldn't remember anything else.
 
“Do you have your schedule Higurashi-san?” Yuki asked.
 
She nodded and handed him the slip of paper.
 
“Please call me Kagome, Higurashi brings unwanted thoughts.” Kagome said.
 
Yuki nodded and looked at her schedule, she had the same classes as he did. Honors History, Advanced Art, Honors Chemistry, Language: English and Second P.E. She also had two classes with Kyo, Advanced Art and Second P.E.
 
“Kagome-san, it says that this is your first year.” Yuki said.
 
Kagome nodded.
 
“You have the same classes as I do.” Yuki said.
 
“Kagome's smart!” Souta exclaimed. “The principle wanted to give her challenging classes.”
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Everyone was watching them, Souta had complained about his feet being sore so Yuki was currently carrying him. Shippo was still sleeping but soon to wake up. Kagome noticed that the school was peaceful except for the students, male and female, giving her weird looks. It was as if they were afraid yet astonished and curious about her. There were a couple of times Kagome wanted to smile at this Yuki person, he was so kind and attentive but she wasn't ready to let her guard down. That's when she saw him.
 
“Kitty?” Kagome said out loud.
 
Kyo immediately turned to her and smiled.
 
“Kaggy!” He said loudly.
 
Souta looked and saw Kyo; he smiled and wiggled down, running to Kyo and jumping into his arms. He hadn't seen Kyo in such a long time.
 
“KYO!” Souta exclaimed loudly.
 
Kagome and Yuki made their way to Kyo. Kagome was smiling; she hadn't seen her friend in a long time and was wondering what happened to him. Thinking about it, she hadn't seen him since they moved to the shrine.
 
“It's been quite some time Kitty.” Kagome said. “I've missed you.”
 
Kyo gave her his lopsided smile.
 
“It has hasn't it?” He said. “What happened? Why did you move?”
Kagome looked sad for a moment.
 
“Father passed away and mama couldn't pay for everything by herself. Ji-chan said that we could live with him. I'm sorry I wasn't able to tell you, it was very sudden.” Kagome said.
 
Kyo shrugged. At lease he knew now, Kagome was the first person that came to him and hugged him in his true form. She was the one who didn't care that he was a monster and she was the only person who wanted to be his friend.
 
“I'm sorry about your loss.” Kyo said. “Hey, you should come over. You can meet everybody. You've already met Yuki and you saved Tohru from smashing her face into the pavement.”
 
Kagome looked at Souta who was nodding.
 
“I would like that Kitty.” Kagome said.
 
Kyo looked at her and the sleeping child in her arms.
 
“Who is that?” Kyo asked.
 
Kagome looked at her son and stroked his hair.
 
“This is my son.” Kagome said.
 
Kyo looked surprised.
 
“Yeah. Kagome saved him, and then she adopted him.” Souta said excitingly. “I'm his uncle. Can you believe it Kyo? I'm an uncle!”
 
Kyo laughed and tossed the boy into the air, hugging him tightly as he fell back into his arms.
 
“Mama?” Shippo said groggily.
 
Kagome hugged her son.
 
“It's okay Shippo.” Kagome said softly.
 
Kyo watched his childhood friend. He remembered the picnics they used to go on, the times she sat there watching as he trained. She was just always there, then he transformed and she ran after him, staying with him. She was the only person he could hug. Hug.
 
“Kaggy, we should talk.” Kyo said seriously.
 
Yuki was confused. They had such a great relationship.
 
“About what?” Kagome asked.
 
Kyo put Souta down and stood in front of her, he slowly wrapped his arms around her, dropping his head down onto her shoulder. He could tell that Yuki was surprised. He was too, they could hug her and not transform.
 
“It's about your curse?” Kagome whispered.
 
Kyo nodded.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Yuki stayed with Kagome, watching her and explaining things to her. He was carrying Souta on his back as he walked to P.E. He stayed with Shippo and Souta while Kagome went to change. He had told her that they were studying archery and ancient fighting techniques. Kagome gave a sad smile, Sango and Miroku had taught her everything they knew before they died as did Kaede and having the Shikon no Tama taught her everything about Midoriko as well as youkai. He saw as she exited, he was surprised at her clothing but he just smiled. She lived at a shrine, the choice of clothing was that of ancient times but this was good. She actually looked like a miko from inside their history books.
 
“Mama?” Shippo asked.
 
Kagome smiled at him.
 
“I know Shippo-chan.” Kagome said.
 
She looked at Souta and nodded. They made their way toward the rest of the class.
 
“Who has used a bow before?” The teacher asked.
 
Kagome raised her hand.
 
“Welcome Higurashi-san. Would you demonstrate for us?” The teacher asked.
 
Kagome nodded and gave her son to Yuki. Kyo watched her, the last time she nearly hit him, and she had the worst aim. He watched carefully now, she looked professional and serious.
 
“Higurashi-san, could you shoot slowly?” The teacher asked.
 
Kagome looked at him, her battle hard eyes giving him shivers up and down his spine. NO matter how long ago it was, she couldn't shake the serious look or the feel every time she picked up a bow and arrow or a sword.
 
“Never mind.” He muttered.
 
Kagome looked at the target, it was too close. If she were too close or used her miko power, she would destroy the target. She walked away, the students watching her. When she was halfway across the field she strung up, her arrow perfectly in place and her eyes watching the target. Kagome closed her eyes and concentrated, making sure that she didn't put her miko energy into it. With a soft breath, she let it go. It screeched angrily before it embedded into the target. Kagome slowly walked over to the target, bullseye.
 
“Amazing.” The teacher whispered in complete awe.
 
Kagome just shrugged.
 
“Could you do that again?” A student asked.
 
“Of course she couldn't. She can't be that good.”
 
“Please Higurashi-san.” The teacher said.
 
She walked back out, with a quiver full of arrows and her bow. She notched her arrow and let it fly, the arrows hitting the bullseye once again, splitting the first arrow in half, then the next and so forth. She slowly walked over to the group and stood next to Yuki. Souta looked amazed and Shippo just smiled.
 
“Amazing.” People whispered.
 
“Kaggy, how the hell did you do that? The last time I saw you, you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.” Kyo said half serious and half teasingly.
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow at him.
 
“My mama is the best there is. She practiced and trained.” Shippo said proudly.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
They all walked home. Momiji was talking animatedly with Souta while Hatsuharu spoke to Kagome. She was very intelligent and knowledgeable. They got to Shigure's house and stopped. Kagome handed Yuki her son and got on her knees, her hands in a prayer. She got up and dusted her skirt and walked to Yuki. She gave him a quick smile before she took her son.
 
“Welcome home.” Shigure said. “Oh you brought a friend.”
 
Kagome came forward. She smiled at Shigure.
 
“Hello. I'm Higurashi, Kagome. It's a pleasure to meet you.” Kagome said.
 
Her brother and son came up and bowed to him.
 
“I am Higurashi, Souta. I'm Kagome's younger brother. It's nice to meet you.” Souta said.
 
“I am Higurashi, Shippo. I'm Kagome's son. Nice to meet you.” Shippo said.
 
Shigure was surprised.
 
“Hello. Welcome to my home. I am Sohma, Shigure.” He said.
 
“Kagome-chan! Kyo!” A voice rang out.
 
Kyo turned around and smiled.
 
“Hello Shishou. It's been a while since I saw you. You haven't changed.” Kagome said.
 
“Yes. You have grown up Kagome-chan.” Shishou said.
 
Kagome smiled.
 
“Yes. I was only ten when I last saw you.” Kagome said.
 
Shishou smiled and hugged Kagome, spinning her around. The family watched in amusement, if you didn't know how old Shishou was and just walked in on this, you would have thought they were intimate. Shishou was hugging her tightly, his arms around her waist and his face buried in her neck.
 
“How has Kitty been?” Kagome asked. “Was he still causing trouble? Getting into everything?”
 
“Of course he was. He was so heartbroken when you left Kagome-chan.” Shishou said.
 
Kyo growled.
 
“Why does she call you kitty?” Tohru asked.
 
Kagome looked at Tohru and smiled, throwing her arm over Kyo.
 
“Since you live here I'm sure you've seen it once or twice. Kyo is a cat.” Kagome said. “Lazy when it rains, the need to drink at lease three glasses of milk a day and the undying love of having his belly rubbed and ears petted.”
 
Kyo growled and poked her side, she squealed and jumped back with Kyo pouncing after her. She ran out of the room laughing with Kyo running after her, laughing as well. She threw open the door and was about to run in when Kyo pounced on her, knocking her to the ground and falling on her. They laughed as they acted like they were five. Shishou came and picked Kyo and Kagome up.
 
“Kagome-chan do you eat?” Shishou asked.
 
“Of course I do!” Kagome said.
 
“You need to gain weight. You're too light.” Shishou said.
 
Kagome huffed at him.
 
“I'm just saying.” Shishou said.
 
The rest of the family looked at them funny.
 
“Kagome-san.” Yuki said.
 
“Kyo-kun, you didn't transform.” Tohru said.
 
The three of them looked at each other. Kyo, Shishou and Kagome just stared; they had to think before Shishou and Kagome laughed. Kyo just stared at Tohru.
 
“The answer is easy.” Shishou said. “Kagome-chan is a miko.”
 
“Miko?” Tohru asked.
 
Kagome got down from Shishou's back and sat down. There was a large explanation just waiting to happen now.
 
“Yes. A miko, from the Heian period a single miko was born. She was to rid the world of all youkai but during her life, battling youkai, she died. Her reincarnation as next, battling and fighting against everything she knew. Her life ended protecting her youkai lover. Her reincarnation was Midoriko. She is the creator of the Shikon no Tama. She thrust her soul out of her body, encasing the souls of the Chaotic Spirits that she was fighting.” Kagome said.
 
Souta and Shippo came and sat in Kagome's lap.
 
“The first true guardian of the Shikon no Tama was Kikyo, she was a miko that held above average miko skills. She fell in love with an inu-hanyou before she was killed by a hanyou named Naraku. She sealed the inu-hanyou to the Goshinboku and burned the jewel with her body. Fifty years later a young girl came to that era and unsealed the inu-hanyou, shattering the jewel after a battle with a crow demon. Together with the inu-hanyou they set out to collect the pieces, joining with an orphan fox demon, a lone demon exterminator and a young perverted monk. The miko Kikyo was revived, living off the souls of dead women, helping both sides. They battled with Naraku, gaining alliances with Sesshoumaru, the great Inu Taiyoukai of the Western Lands.” Kagome said.
 
She shed tears as she continued to talk.
 
“The demon slayer, Sango and her husband, Miroku and their unborn child died at the hands of the inu-hanyou, Inuyasha. The elderly miko, Kaede, the younger sister of Kikyo died as well. Sesshoumaru was the young girl's husband but not mate, battling against his younger half brother to protect her and her adopted child, the young fox demon. He made a promise to mate with her, since he married her in her custom a couple of days before. He died saving her, the inu-hanyou transformed into his demon form, losing his mind in the process. The young girl fled with her son, never to be heard or found again.” Kagome said.
 
Shishou looked at Kagome.
 
“You talk in both past and present tense.” He said.
 
Kagome looked at him with sad eyes.
 
“Mama and I, we tried to escape from Inuyasha. He came through the well mama escaped in. We lived in peace for six months before he came after us.” Shippo said.
 
“The fire was caused by Inuyasha. He demanded my mother to give Kagome to him but she refused. He murdered her and Ji-chan. Kagome came home from school and ran inside. It was her barrier that kept us from burning along with mama and ji-chan.” Souta said.
 
“Kagome-san. You were in love with Sesshoumaru?” Tohru asked.
 
“Yes.” She whispered. “I loved him as he loved me. We were to be mated before Inuyasha destroyed all of that.”
 
“What happened to the priestess Kikyo?” Momiji asked.
 
“I had Kikyo's soul but I'm the reincarnation of Midoriko. I'm the fourth and final soul of the Shikon no Tama. It was born into my body. If you wish upon the Shikon no Tama, it would be granted. Inuyasha wished that Kikyo would have her soul back. My soul was torn from my body and the Shikon no Tama took over as my soul instead. Kikyo's body decayed in front of us and her soul moved onto the next owner.” Kagome said.
 
“Why did Inuyasha attack you?” Yuki asked.
 
“Because he's a selfish bastard. I once had feelings for him but they passed. Because he lost Kikyo, he thought that I would come to him when he called. I was already promised with Sesshoumaru and would not turn back. Inuyasha was furious.” Kagome said.
 
“This Sesshoumaru, he was a great man?” Shigure asked.
 
Kagome smiled, Shippo and Souta moved to play a card game behind everyone. They had heard this or saw this.
 
“He was a great youkai. He was the lord of the Western Lands, a true lord.” Kagome said. “He was unemotional at first and tried to kill Inuyasha many times. He was very lonely but it was to be expected, he was feared. His father, the former Inu Taiyoukai was a feared and worthy youkai who was very proud of his son.” Kagome said.
 
Everyone nodded.
 
“MAMA!” Shippo cried out.
 
Kagome snapped her eyes open and saw Inuyasha with her son. Kagome got angry, furious. She ran after them, swinging her bow toward him and knocking him down. Shippo was dropped and Inuyasha's attention switched to her.
 
“You are mine!” Inuyasha growled.
 
Kagome didn't answer him. Inuyasha smirked and grabbed Shippo once again. Kagome strung her arrow and tapped into her purity.
 
“LET. GO. OF. MY. SON.” Kagome screamed.
 
She released the arrow and watched as it flew true toward Inuyasha, knocking into his back before she notched another arrow and embedding it into his shoulder.
 
“I was Sesshoumaru's but you killed him.” Kagome said darkly.
 
“Sesshoumaru was a bastard. A weak bastard. He stole you from me!” Inuyasha growled.
 
“Sesshoumaru wasn't a weak bastard. That weak bastard is you. I won't allow you to taint the name of Sesshoumaru.” Kagome said
 
“You would betray me?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“I'm not betraying you. To betray is to say that you are my friend not my enemy. You destroyed my life. Killed the man I loved, killed my mother and grandfather, tried to kill my brother and my son. You tried to rape me on many occasions. The only thing I would be betraying is myself, my family and my memory of Sesshoumaru.” Kagome said coldly.
 
Inuyasha sneered at her and ran away. Kagome walked over to Shippo and picked him up. How the hell did he get through her barrier, unless…he was already inside? Kagome released her power, sending it through the house and through the occupants.
 
“Kaggy?” Kyo asked.
 
She gave Shippo to Souta before she turned and smiled at him. Kagome shuttered before she fainted, falling into Yuki's lap. He cradled her, positioning her to rest her head against his shoulder.
 
“Who the hell was that?” Kyo demanded.
 
“That would be Inuyasha.” Shippo said. “I really hate him.”
 
Souta patted his shoulder.
 
“He comes sometimes, he always says that she's his and such. Stupid idiot. Kagome will never be his.” Souta said.
 
He sighed and leaned back before continuing his story.
 
“He thinks that she's stuck in the past but she's not. Kagome knows that Sesshoumaru is dead and she doesn't want to look for his reincarnation. She would rather think of the time they had. It would be unfair to his reincarnation because Kagome would think of Sesshoumaru instead of actually seeing and loving the actual man.”
 
Yuki brushed the hair from her face.
 
“What is your relationship with her Kyo?” Yuki asked.
 
Kyo blinked then shrugged.
 
“She's my best friend.” Kyo said.
 
Shishou laughed.
 
“That is an understatement. She was also his first kiss. Kagome wasn't the most graceful child back then; of course I'm not sure about now.” Shishou said.
 
Kyo muttered before Shishou became serious.
 
“Kyo's bracelet fell off once.” Shishou said. “Complete accident.”
 
Shigure stared at Kyo.
 
“And?” He asked.
 
“And what? She didn't run away from me. Not like you guys did.” Kyo said angrily.
 
Shishou nodded.
 
“I remember that day. Kagome-chan hugged him, even kissed him when he was like that. I think, I think she understood. She's more caring than she leads us to believe.” Shishou said. “I would never forget that moment.”
 
Everyone looked at Kyo, who was blushing.
 
“They were always together, could hardly separate them. Kyo and Kagome-chan shared a room when they were small and everyday after his training, she would draw him a hot bath. She was always taking care of him and he with her.” Shishou said. “I swear. They acted like a married couple back then.”
 
Shippo looked at them.
 
“Mama told us once; it was before a really big battle. It was our group against two of the demon lords and their army; Sesshoumaru wasn't with us back then. The night before, we were all sitting down and talking about our lives. There were many times when we would go into a battle and had no idea if we would live to see the next day. Mama said that she could die now and have no regrets. Sango-chan asked her why and she said that she had lived and loved.” He said.
 
Kyo blushed.
 
“Kyo cried for days afterwards. He loved her as well.” Shishou said. “It was sad really, he refused to come out of his room.”
 
The family stared at Kyo who was bright red.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
It was days before Kagome woke up. Yuki was sleeping in his arms, in a chair with his upper body lying on his bed. Kagome smiled, he must be so uncomfortable. She gently tapped at his hands. He looked tired.
 
“You can sleep in here. I trust you.” Kagome whispered.
 
Yuki smiled. “Thank you.”
 
Kagome scooted back and lifted the covers. Yuki pulled his shirt off and slid inside. He turned and looked at Kagome, she was confusing him. Of course Yuki wouldn't lie to himself, he was jealous that she had loved Kyo. She was lucky, she found love twice in one lifetime just not in one timeline. It must have hurt both times to be separated from them, especially from that Sesshoumaru character. He must have been extremely special to her, must have loved her as much as she loved him, especially since they had become husband and wife.
 
Yuki looked up at the ceiling and sighed. He wished he could find love, a love like she had. He noticed though, that she didn't look sad when she talked about him, not after the initial introduction of him in her life. It was funny, he tried to kill her twice before they came to an understanding which grew into affection then toward love. He froze when Kagome curled up against him, her arm draped across his chest and her head against his shoulder.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
That's how the family found them, curled up against one another. Shigure looked at Ayame who was smiling very widely. So cute. Kagome curled up around Yuki as he held her tightly. Ayame, being the big brother shooed everyone out and silently closed the door. The family was so busy talking, they didn't notice that Kagome had woken up and went into the kitchen to cook breakfast. Souta and Shippo were sleeping in Kyo's room. The rain had been pouring for hours now.
 
“I'm sorry.” Yuki whispered.
 
Kagome looked back at him and smiled.
 
“You shouldn't worry about it.” Kagome said.
 
Yuki looked startled.
 
“I have to thank you. Last night was the first time I actually slept.” Kagome said.
 
Again, Yuki looked startled. “Why?”
 
Kagome shrugged.
 
“I'm always on guard; I'm always worrying if someone is going to kill me in my sleep.” Kagome said.
 
Yuki walked up behind her and hugged her. “I'm sorry. I wish I could help you.”
 
“You have.” Kagome whispered. “You let me sleep with you, you protected me.”
 
Yuki smiled and stepped back, regretting it, wanting to feel her warmth seep through his skin once again. He watched as she ran around the kitchen, cooking and cleaning. It amazed him, she was so attentive to what she was doing that she didn't seem to notice anything else. He saw the fruit on the table and looked to make sure she couldn't see him. His fingers were about an inch from the juicy treat when her voice softly rang out.
 
“I'm absolutely positive that you weren't going to use your fingers Yuki-kun.” Kagome said.
 
Yuki winced and stepped back. Kagome turned to him and smiled, teasingly. Yuki smiled and then softly laughed. She really did have that motherly instinct.
 
“Souta and Shippo always used to do those types of things. That and every time I would cook, Kyo and Shishou would try to do the same things.” Kagome said.
 
Yuki smiled but kept looking at the fruit. Kagome grabbed a pair of hashi and picked up a smaller piece of watermelon, holding it in front of Yuki. He looked at her with his vivid violet eyes and smiled, opening his mouth to her, letting her feed him. He watched as she went back, stirring and pouring, chopping and mixing, measuring and tasting. Yuki smiled, maybe he was already being accepted in her heart.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
A week had passed and everyone was getting used to Kagome, her little brother and her son. There were times, especially during history when Shippo would say something. He was very well in history as was Kagome since they lived through it. Souta was amazingly good in mathematics while Shippo and Kagome weren't. Everything else, they were equal. In P.E. Kagome had taught Souta and Shippo what Sango and Miroku had taught her.
 
“Okay, we will break up into teams and spar with each other.” The teacher said.
 
The girls wanted to go against Kagome; they were tired of her getting Yuki's attention. Souta and Shippo usually went against each other or sat down watching Kagome. It was funny watching her flip, throw, block and hit other people.
 
“Winner will fight against the winner from the other bracket.” The teacher said.
 
Within the next hour, Kagome and Yuki made their way to the top. They were facing against each other. Kagome got into her stance as Yuki got into his. They smirked at each other, neither one making the first move. Kagome watched him as he watched her, thinking of ways to win. Souta and Shippo smiled, they knew that it would be hard for either one to win against one another.
 
“Come on already!” A girl exclaimed.
 
Yuki swiftly ran to her, his tactic was to make like he was going for her arms and sweep her feet from under him. It didn't work, Kagome just tilted her head and placed her hands on his shoulder, jumping over and landing behind him. Kagome smiled before she made her way to his side, trapping his arms within hers and knocking him down. She let go and smiled, waiting for him to make another move. She was unprepared for him to come right in front of her and kiss her, using her shock to pin her down onto the mat. She stared up at him, smiling back. He bent down and brushed his lips against hers again before helping her up.
 
Souta and Shippo looked at each other before smiling, watching intently. Sesshoumaru had done something like this to Kagome and she got him back. Shippo knew that this boy couldn't be Sesshoumaru's reincarnation. The aura was completely different, opposite. He watched as his mother ran toward Yuki, maybe he would get a dad sooner than he thought.
 
Kagome smiled at Yuki. She ran to him, brushing her hand against the front on his pants. She smiled at his slight gasp before running past him and waiting. She saw that he was in surprise, turning to look at her, she lightly laughed. He smirked and rushed at her, his face right in front of her, his fist pulled back while his other hand cupped and squeezed her breast. Kagome growled and ducked under him, making sure that she teased his groin. She was surprised when he tripped her, knocking her down onto the mat with him between her legs. Kagome bucked him off and flipped backwards. By the time they were done, they were completely out of breath and overly horny. Kagome bowed to Yuki as he bowed to her. Yuki carried Shippo and walked Souta to the locker room.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Momiji and Souta were talking about the spar Kagome and Yuki had. Hatsuharu and Kagome were talking about the different eras and why they were so important and the difficulties within each era. Kyo and Yuki were arguing while Tohru was talking with Kagura. They walked toward Kagome's apartment. They were all planning on sleeping over…everyone except Kagura. Kagome had gone to the market, grabbing what she wanted and what she needed.
 
“This isn't an apartment Kagome-chan.” Hatsuharu said.
 
Kagome looked at her home.
 
“What would you call it?” She asked.
 
Yuki looked up at it, nice.
 
“It's a penthouse.” Momiji said.
 
Kagome looked at her apartment. Compared to a home like Shigure's…it was an apartment. She just shrugged and walked forward. The doorman smiled at her.
 
“Good afternoon Miss Kagome.” He said.
 
“Hey Ken!” Souta shouted.
 
“Hello Souta, Shippo. How are you two this afternoon?” Ken asked.
 
Kagome walked into the lobby, everyone following her.
 
“We'll see you later Ken.” Kagome said.
 
“I hope so Miss Kagome.” Ken answered.
 
Shippo stood by his mother, waiting for the door to close and go up a few floors.
 
“I don't trust him mama.” Shippo said.
 
“Why?” Souta asked.
 
Shippo looked down.
 
“The scent of his arousal is disgusting. Every time we enter or exit the lobby. It's disgusting and the way he leers at mama.” Shippo said. “Mama, his aura is funny.”
 
Kagome nodded.
 
“Is it Kagome?” Souta asked.
 
Kagome just nodded. She looked down at Souta who stuck his tongue out and clenched his eyes.
 
“He can't do anything to me. My barrier restricts him from doing anything. He is a hanyou.” Kagome said.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Nobody slept that night, except for Shippo, Tohru and Kyo, Shippo because of his love to sleep and Kyo because it was pouring outside. Tohru had taken over the first guest room, Momiji had taken the second and Hatsuharu was given the third and Kagome was in the office. Yuki had taken her room. Hatsuharu and Yuki could not sleep and Momiji just didn't want to be left out.
 
“Things must be hard for you.” Momiji said.
 
Kagome looked at him from her files.
 
“Not as much as you think.” Kagome said.
 
“What is all of this?” Momiji asked.
 
“Sesshoumaru was Lord of the Western Lands and I had his advisors keep in contact with me as well as take care of the domain. Sesshoumaru's advisors had created a business and as the Lady of the Lands, I have to respect Sesshoumaru's position and take over. Plus, I'm a physiatrist.”
 
Hatsuharu nodded. He really liked this girl; she was so calm and patient. She understood him and she understood the family. It was amazing too; she was well liked in his family and was helpful too. She was the reason Kyo had lost his most of his temper and got more into the playful side he once had.
 
“What about your son?” Momiji asked. “Why do you bring them to school with you?”
 
Kagome sighed and leaned back.
 
“I have not yet killed Inuyasha so my son and my brother are not safe. I've tried to subdue him, even get him to understand but it's no use.” Kagome said.
 
Yuki and Momiji looked surprised. Hatsuharu understood.
 
“You know that you have us to talk to Kagome-san.” Hatsuharu said.
 
She nodded and smiled.
 
“Thanks.” Kagome said. “I'll be right back.”
 
They watched as she walked out the door. She was so different from everyone else that they knew. She had real problems that she had to deal with and she had to make real decisions that wouldn't only change her life but the lives of those she takes care of. Hatsuharu looked at Yuki. There were things he had yet to understand about him. Hatsuharu and Momiji said their goodnights; they had things to think about.
 
“Here. I brought you some hot chocolate. Tohru is sleeping in her room. Souta and Kyo are up, only to drink hot chocolate and Shippo is still sleeping.” Kagome said.
 
Yuki nodded and sipped his hot chocolate. It was really good. He looked at Kagome, she was staring out the window, cradling her cup and watching as the rain ran in streams down the glass.
 
“Sometimes I don't know what to do.” Kagome whispered. “I'm only 16 years old.”
 
Yuki sighed and got up, walking to her and wrapping his arm around her waist, he would never get over that he could hug her and he would hold her until the day he died, it felt way too good. She leaned against him and sighed. There were many questions that were left unanswered and there were many people she had yet to understand. Kagome had learned that no matter what, Sesshoumaru would always be with her but she couldn't stay stuck in the past. She had seen him in her dreams a week after his death. He had told her that this was destiny, that he was happy to have known her and to have loved her. Sesshoumaru had told her to not let his memory go, but to let her hold on him go.
 
“Kagome-san, you live a hard life. Your husband was killed and you are a single mother and you take care of your brother. Plus there's a mad hanyou after you.” Yuki said.
 
Kagome shuttered and sipped her drink. She didn't regret anything, only that she hadn't been powerful enough to protect her friends. Kagome walked her desk and gently put her drink down. Sometimes she didn't know how she held everything together. She wanted to fall apart sometimes, jump into her bed and cry. She didn't hear or feel Yuki step behind her and hug her. His arms wrapping around hers as he pushed her into him. Kagome turned and wrapped her arms around him, softly sobbing into his shoulder.
 
“I'll be here Kagome-san.” Yuki whispered.
 
He gently pulled Kagome back to look at her. His hands gently cupping her face as his eyes searched hers, he wanted to kiss her, so badly. He lowered his lips to hers, caressing hers as his arms tightened. When they broke apart, Kagome's eyes fluttered open. She smiled and tucked her head under his chin.
 
“Thank you.” Kagome whispered.
 
Yuki nodded.
 
“Let's get some sleep.” Yuki said.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
The next morning, Yuki woke up to the smell of breakfast cooking. He noticed that Kagome wasn't in bed. Putting on his shirt, he walked out. He was greeted by Hatsuharu, Momiji, Tohru and Shippo, Kyo was still in bed, he wasn't feeling very good and Souta was too busy watching cartoons. Yuki looked down when Shippo stopped in front of him, rubbing his eyes. He bent down and picked the small child up, letting him fall back asleep on his shoulder. Yuki walked into the kitchen and gave Kagome a soft kiss. She smiled at him.
 
“What's for breakfast?” Yuki asked.
 
Kagome shrugged.
 
“Omelets, toast, variety of meats, fruits, Miso soup and rice.” Kagome said.
 
“Mama. I want cereal.” Shippo said.
 
Kagome smiled and got him a bowl, filled it with his sugary sweet breakfast and some milk. She gave it to Yuki who put it on the table in front of Shippo and sat down next to him. It amazed him that Shippo got out of his seat and crawled into his lap. Yuki blinked but got Shippo's breakfast and sat there watching as he ate.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Months had passed. Yuki and Kagome got closer and closer as did Yuki, Souta and Shippo. They looked up to him, following him and staying by him. Inuyasha still came by every once in a while to claim Kagome, always got his ass kicked.
 
“Kagome-chan.” Yuki whispered.
 
He smiled when she shivered.
 
“Yuki-san…are you going to move in with us?” Shippo asked.
 
Everyone stopped and looked at him. Kyo had just walked out of the room and heard Shippo's question. He honestly had no problem letting Yuki date Kagome just as long as he didn't hurt her. He would talk to the rat, let him know how serious he was about Kagome, after all, she was his first friend, his first girlfriend, his first love.
 
“I believe I will be.” Yuki said.
 
Kagome smiled at him. Might as well, he was here almost every night. She looked at him from under her lashes, a small blush evident on her face. She looked at Kyo who nodded. It would be nice, having someone in her life again, hopefully this time, this time it would end happily ever after. She looked at Souta and Shippo, they were asking him question after question and he did nothing but calmly answer them. He was so good with them, sometimes she was jealous of him and his easygoing nature, which was just stupid.
 
She looked at her new friends, they were always there for her, except for Tohru but she worked. Looking at Yuki, she couldn't hold in her smile. Before, she didn't think she would ever find someone to love and be loved back, not like Sesshoumaru had. Kagome sighed, she mentally thanked Sesshoumaru, he wanted her to be happy and she wanted him to find peace.
 
“What are you thinking?” Yuki asked.
 
Kagome just smiled at him.
 
“I'm just wishing Sesshoumaru finds peace as he wanted me to find happiness.” She answered.
 
Yuki seemed to understand, just like he understood that no matter what, Kagome would always love Sesshoumaru. He wasn't jealous of him nor was he jealous of his cousin because they had helped shape her. Yuki also thanked Sesshoumaru for helping and giving Kagome the reason to live and to let her live. He wanted all the happiness to be bestowed upon him Sesshoumaru deserved it.