InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Misconception ❯ Just a run ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]




Just A Run




Kagome lay on her apartment couch, the wood of the frame digging into her back. She gave a heavy sigh and rolled on to her side. InuYasha had almost found her twice. If it wasn't for her scent being just slightly different, he would have, and even still it was a close call. She managed to get out of the city without drawing to much attention, after all she did still look like the posters her family had posted. Her mind reeled over the past three days event as her fingers absently played with the shikon jewel. It had been hard to get the apartment she stayed in now. Without the money she needed for the security deposit she had to work out a special arrangement with the landlord, and it was only by luck that the landlord was a kindly older woman and not some dirty old man

She held up the jewel to dangle in front of her face. Its color had dulled, leaving it neither pink with purity or black with taint. For now it was a dead bauble. The damned thing was supposed to disappear when a wish was made on it. She sneered. It was still here, sitting quietly in the palm of her hand until its power woke again, and she knew it would wake again.

Naturally she was the one who wished on it. Not on purpose of course. It wasn’t like she held up the shikon and said ‘I wish to be a demon’ at least not out loud. To many times of being prey for other demons. To much scorn from InuYasha for being human. All of it was too much. It just compiled on top of itself until her mind was screaming to be stronger, to be like them. To bad Kagome didn't think of the repercussions. She couldn’t bare to face her friends, family and the anger of a certain volatile half demon.

What would she do now? Of course she could restart her life, go back to school, and live forever playing demon hiding in a human world. There were several schools within walking distance and it would be easy to fool them. Just two more years in school and she'd have a diploma. Then she could go her own way. The way her demon blood was telling her to.

Kagome laid a map on the small table in front of her. She circled the locations of the schools, approximating exactly how far away were they. Kagome looked closely at the buildings surrounding each school. One had a mall by it, it was out, to many people and the risk of being noticed was to high. Another had grocery stores, also out. Stay at home moms grocery shopping would end up wondering who the strange girl was. The last was surrounded by businesses. She slumped in the chair. That school was the one she preferred not to go to.

When she scoped them out earlier, she sensed something off about it, or maybe it was some thing in it. What ever it was, she was going find out no matter what now. Tomorrow she would report in, register, and do what ever else that needed to be done.

Kagome swung her feet on the table and looked about the room. The kitchen and living room were one space, the bedroom was off to her right, and the bathroom through the bedroom. A window, person sized, was in front of her, slightly off to the left. The apartment had all the necessities except for a bed. Kagome looked out the window, eyes animalistically flashing in the moonlight. Tonight was just dark enough for a rooftop run through the city, maybe to the near by woods. The smell of a lake wafted through the partially open window.

Kagome slipped on a light jacket and tennis shoes. Opening the window fully she leapt onto the next buildings roof top. She started her run. It felt good to just stretch her muscles. It was a bonus that came with demonic powers. Humans didn't know what it meant to run, and they never would. Never would experience the effortless joy that came with it.

"Beautiful." The word was barely audible as a whisper.

She'd come to the lake. The water was so calm at night, reflecting everything in the immediate area. It reflected another world. Another place. Another time. It was perfect. What she wanted. She jumped from tree branch to tree branch casually, as if she were walking. The thick part of the woods were ahead, where the canopy of the trees wound together tightly to almost completely block out the light.. The wind was blowing at her back, throwing her hair into her face. She jumped out of the tree, pulling her hair back as she fell to the ground. Kagome landed on a kid her age and the only thing she really noticed was that his hair was orange.

"The hell! Get off me!"

She jumped off landing a few feet away. Kagome sized him up. Slightly taller. A muscle build like you would get with training in some form of fighting, probably karate.

"What are you doing out this late, in the woods no less?" Kagome asked.

"I could ask the same about you!"

"I was running."

"Well your trespassing." A young gray haired boy came out.

"You going to call the cops? You won't make it to a phone, pretty boy." Kagome smirked.

Yuki turned and started walking away. Kagome jumped and landed in front of him. Yuki and Kyo were stunned. She'd jumped at least twenty-five feet, with no running start.

"I said you won't get to a phone. Do you want to make it that you don't leave this spot."

He went to walk around her and doubled over when he was slugged in the gut. He caught her next punch, directing her fist so it slid harmlessly by him. Kagome growled at him, baring fangs. She kicked him in the jaw. He fell back on to the ground. He sat up, trying to move quickly to gain his footing, only to be kicked across the face. He slumped under the heavy blow. It took three good blows of hitting him as hard as she could to knock him out.

"Three hits? He must be a pretty good fighter, or good at taking a beating. So, I think you should carry him home."

"Hell no!"

"Fine, I'll carry him."

Kyo was about to protest, finally thinking of the curse, but was surprised when Yuki didn't transform.

"So where does he live?"

He started walking in the direction of the house. These kids give off the same feel as the school did earlier. Strange.

When Kagome entered the house she didn’t figure on a girl about her age flying into a blind panic over seeing the silver haired boy draped over her shoulder. Kagome brushed passed her and laid the boy down by the table. He stirred and his hand went to his face.

“Tohru, calm down. I’m sure Yuki will be fine.”

Tohru put a went rag on Yuki’s face and looked up at Kagome.

“What happened?”

“She went psycho and kicked him in his girly face.” Kyo hooted with glee.

“And she carried him in here.” Shigure said somberly. Kagome looked over at him. Something was going on with this family. The strange auras, their reactions to her carrying him, and the look the man was giving her made the hair on the back of her neck stand up. They weren’t evil, but there was something here, some presence that hung around them like wraiths. A feeling of unease crept into her as she took a seat at the table.



~*~*~*~*~*~

Disclaimer: Character's are property of their respective creators and in no way belong to me.