InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Misconception ❯ Just to different ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Different





Ka gome smiled at Kyo's shock from the roof of the next building over. The wind played with her hair. Kyo stomped off angrily in the direction of the house. Yuki watched him go before turning in the direction that Kagome disappeared. He sighed, shook his head, and also started to walk home. Kagome followed behind, watching intently from the tree tops. She wanted to make sure Shigure didn't say a word of what happened at the main house. Even if she had to kill him to do so, she would do what ever it took. She sighed and shook her head. This level of practicality wasn’t really her thing.

Yuki went inside. Kagome went around the side using the foliage as cover.

A shoji door was sitting open. It was the study she was peering into. Shigure sat, his back to her, working on the computer. His fingers lazily stroked the keyboard, creating a few taps every second. She calmly walked in behind him and slid a hand over his mouth.

"You scream," She whispered softly in his ear. "and I'll break your neck. Nod if you understand."

Shigure nodded ever so slightly. Kagome released him. He made an attempt to stand but was shoved back down.

"I want you to understand me perfectly. If I find that you or anybody else breaths a word about my little trick earlier, I will slaughter every person with the last name Sohma." Kagome moved to sit on the desk in front of him. "You inform anyone I was here today, and I'll slit you wide open. If you tell the police it won't make a difference, I'll escape and hunt you down."

Kagome cocked her head slightly to the side as if hearing some thing no one else could. She smiled at him in a condescending way before getting up to leave. She waved and left. No sooner was she gone did Yuki appear. He stood, pale hands splayed on the desk as he leaned over it.

"What happened with Kagome at the main house?"

"Well..."He recalled the words Kagome said moments before. "nothing really. Akito just wanted to meet some one who did not cause us to change."

"Your lying."

"Wouldn't be the first time." He laughed.

"You are going to tell me." Yuki was leaning over the desk, face inches away from Shigure's.

"You can't go against Akito any more than I can." Shigure's voice was calm, deeper in a way.

Kagome was in a tree, keeping an ear on their conversation. Shigure was an accomplished liar; his scent barely changed, like most humans' do. She frowned. He was some one she would have to keep an eye on. She would have to concentrate when talking to him. Tohru had walked into the room with tea. Yuki turned around in a slight fury causing him not to pay attention.

The 'poof' pulled Kagome's attention. She looked at the small mouse that was now on the floor standing in a pile of clothes. She leaned off the branch of the tree a little to get a better reading on the aura. The smaller the animal, the harder it was to distinguish different auras. It was the same as that Yuki kid.

"How interesting." She said. "He transforms into a rat. I will have to look into this. That Shigure fellow will be getting another visit very soon."

She was bounding through the trees again, her pace quickened by this new event. Kagome arrived at her apartment to her phone ringing. She answered.

"Good evening Miss Anrea. I am calling about the job you applied for. An interview has been set tomorrow at 4:30."

"Very well, thank you."

Anrea was one of her few alias. Obviously she couldn't use her real name, how easy would it be to find her. Kagome slid to the floor. She was pretty sure that she would get the job, it was only a secretary job and was low level at that.

Everything seemed to have complicated itself since she left. Here she was in hiding, in more ways then one, gotten herself mixed up with a family who can turn into animals, had to go to school, and on top of that needed a job to pay the rent on the apartment. She was going to have to change the way she looked until the police had stopped looking for her too, which meant more money for supplies. It would only be a few months, but she couldn't wait that long. A home had to be established. Her place of safety.

"It will only last so long." She whispered. "Nothing lasts forever."

Kagome swore when she remembered that her clothes and satchel were still at the Sohma house. Slowly she stood and walked over to the window. Ten stories up. She looked down at the people walking the street. Ignorant to the fact that a predator was watching them. Kagome took a step up, so that she was standing on the ledge. She let her fingers slip away and fell. A few people turned to look up. One woman screamed and covered her son's eyes, afraid of the mental trauma the young boy would receive. She was moving to fast for the humans to catch a glimpse of her face.

Kagome kept her legs bent, making her legs act like springs to propel her into the streets faster. There would be to many people in the short cut through the woods this time of day to risk being seen. She'd take the long way.

Surprisingly the path to they house was quiet, suspiciously so. Kagome stopped listening to the sound of the forest. The wind was at her back blowing her scent to the house. The people were human, of that much she was sure, so it was a good bet that they couldn't smell her. A bird gave a quiet twitter and flew away. Some one was coming towards her. Shigure came around the bend. He gave a little 'oh' of surprise. His stopped a few feet from her.

"Well hello there Kagome."

"Let's take a walk shall we?"

"Sure."

He smiled and continued walking. Kagome turned and followed right next to him.

"Have you ever killed some one?" He asked with an air of nonchalance.

"Yes."

Shigure's steps faltered slightly. He had expected her to say no, and that she answered so quickly scared him a little.

"So about that death threat..." He trailed off.

Kagome gave him a smile that sent a shiver up his spine. He quickly decided to redirect the conversation.

"Who did you kill."

"It wasn't just me by myself. There were four of use total. A pack."

"What did you want here, Kagome?"

"Why does that Yuki kid turn into a rat?"

Shigure froze. Kagome stopped a few steps away and looked back. What ever had turned the kid was obviously supposed to be a secret.

"If you want that secret, you will have to tell me one of yours."

"Fine. You must ask a question first."

"What are you?"

"I am the white tiger demoness and shikon guardian."

"I see. A demon. How are you here? Aren‘t demon‘s supposed to be myths?"

"The deal was one secret, and that was it."

"True. We transform because of a curse that was placed upon our family. We call it the zodiac curse because there is one member of the family to represent each of the zodiac animals and the cat."

"How very interesting."

Kagome turned off the path and walked into the woods disappearing behind a tree. Shigure watched her walk off, his thoughts dwelling on demons.

~*~*~*~*~

Kagome woke at dawn as usual and readied herself for school. She'd completely forgot about her satchel and would go get it today. Quickly she slipped into her school uniform and walked out, book bag slung over her shoulder. She missed her old yellow one but it was to filthy to bring to school, what with the blood, dirt, and demon guts. Her new one was a scarlet red and black and was sturdy enough to carry a good amount of supplies. It was functional… and semi cute, even if she didn’t care for the colors.

Kagome stuck to the back alleys as to keep a fast pace. A few homeless watched in amazement at her speed. She came to the front of the school. The bell was sounding. She wasn't late, she was early. Very early. Although that was a good thing. First one in, last one out. Now that she had to be cautious about things, she'd have to monitor the students, and start being more careful to appear normal. That meant no more daytime runs or jumping out of tenth story windows on impulse.

She sat in her desk, feet propped up. Kagome tossed her books onto the window sill. Students were starting to arrive. Most stood outside the doors, meeting with friends. Something that would never happen to her again. Friends. A now distant memory. She shook the feeling of loneliness.

"It doesn't matter to me." In her mind, saying it out loud would make it true.

But she knew reality didn't work that way. Kagome watched her classmates come in, surrounded by their little groups. Three girls stepped in front of her desk.

"Listen here new kid, Prince Yuki belongs to the Prince Yuki fan club so stay--"

"Shut up." Kagome cut her off.

"Excuse me?!"

"I said shut up. I don't particularly care for Yuki, but no one should be treated like a piece of property. You don't own him. And you don't own me. So don't get this idea in your head that you can tell me what to do."

"Well I'll tell you--"

"You're not listening!" Kagome growled. "I will warn you one time. Only one time. Come near me or threaten me and you will pay the price." She ended in a harsh whisper, maliciously glaring at the girls.

The fan girls quickly and quietly left. Other students watched in shock. The fan club just happened to be the most dangerous thing in school, next to Utoni and Hanajima that is. Hanajima sat and stared at Kagome, things were going to be interesting for a while. Tohru walked over.

"Um...your bag is still at the house, I would have brought it but.." Tohru trailed off.

"I will be stopping over later."

"Oh! Will you join us for dinner?"

"What are you doing?"

"Huh?"

"The niceties, why?"

"I just want to be friends."

"I can't have friends."

"Why?"

"Because I'm just to different from the rest of you."

Tohru went quiet. Different? Sure the girl was antisocial and looked like contained violence in motion, but that wasn’t too different from a vast majority of people. After all, Uo-chan had been like that while in the ranks of her gang. So what could it be then?

“I don’t understand.”

Kagome’s eye went soft for a moment at the sad tone. Tohru could sometimes remind her a little of Shippo.

“Tohru-chan…” The girls head immediately lifted. “It is better if you don’t understand, and it will be much safer for you if you avoid me from now on.”

“But why?” Tohru asked, her eyes brimming with tears. Kagome sighed and bowed her head. This girl was just to kind, to gentle, to have someone like her as a friend. She would get hurt, that was an unquestionable fact. Demons and humans couldn’t coexist in this time or the past one, they were just too different.

“I’m not a good person. I’ve done awful things and have hurt the people who used to trust me. There is nothing I can do for them or anyone else except stay away from them to prevent anymore hurt or pain.”

“It must get lonely, being by yourself all the time, with no one to confide in, no one to trust, and no one to hold you when your hurt.”

Kagome gave her a small, sad smile.

“If it saves other people pain, then a little loneliness is worth it.”

“It’s okay to be selfish sometimes.” Tohru said softly.

“I’m just to selfish now, Tohru-chan, and this is how I’m paying for my actions. Now go take your seat and stop worrying about me.” Kagome finished gently.