InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Humanity ❯ Demon Blood ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Humanity
By Joyfulmusic
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist or Inuyasha. Never have, never will. This fanfic contains some spoilers. I haven't seen the whole series of either show so I'm not sure how they end. But that's why this is a fanfic
 
 
Chapter 17: Demon Blood
 
The next day Willa was sitting with Edward on the bank of the lake. Her ears were free of that dreadful hat. Around her waist was Ed's real arm, holding her tightly. Her head was against his shoulder with her eyes closed. She breathed slowly the fresh air around her. The scent of the alchemist was strong, though she'd never noticed it before. She could hear his breath and heartbeat, melding together like sweet music.
 
He'd accepted her, dog ears, mind reading, claws and all. They had lain back against a tree the night before to sleep. He hadn't left her side unless he absolutely had to. It felt so wonderful to be loved again without all of the usual conditions and restrictions. He didn't mind what she looked like. Instead, he cherished her with all his heart, no matter what. It had been so long since a man a done so.
 
“I've needed you so much Willa.” He murmured, placing a kiss gently against her head. “But now everything can go back to normal. We'll return to the city, and…” He paused, realizing that she was frowning. Pulling back he turned her face up so he would have a good view of her expressions. “What is it? What's wrong?”
 
She shook her head. “I can't go back to Fort Promise.” Her voice was weak and her eyes refused to meet his. “I couldn't stand all those people's memories. It would be too much for me. Don't you understand? It would drive me mad.” A lone tear streaked down her face. “So I can't go back with you. You'll have to return without me.”
 
Edward scowled before pulling her to him again. “Then we won't go back there. We'll stay out here in the country. Al and Mora wouldn't mind the change. The four of us can find a place without a bunch of extra people. You'll see, it'll be fine.” But he felt her head shake against him, causing his heart to sink again.
 
“No.” She whispered. “I can't face them either. I don't want to know their memories. I didn't even want to know yours. But I can't make it stop, can't keep them from coming. I don't know how.” Her body trembled though he held her tight. “Inuyasha offered for me to go with them. I could…”
 
A cold metal finger pressed against her lips momentarily. “Hush. I'm not going to leave you. Maybe he'll know how to suppress the extra senses. But I won't let you go alone with them. I couldn't bear to loose you again.” The alchemist stroked her cheek gently. “We'll just have to figure this out together.”
 
Willa smiled, nestling her head against his chest. `I love you so much. But why do I deserve someone so loyal? After all the pain I've caused. I've always hurt the people I love.' She sighed heavily, but on taking her next breath she sensed something. `Someone else is here, someone evil.' Memories rushed at her without mercy causing her lids to squeeze shut.
 
Waking up on a lab table, she watched as people moved around this new person. Orders were given to retrieve the missing hanyou and his mate. Then it was running through the woods. She could feel the hatred in this being's heart. There was a complete lack of knowing who they were, lack of personality and individuality. But that didn't seem to matter to it.
 
When Willa opened her eyes she stood quickly. Edward rose beside her with alarm. “What is it? Do you sense something?” When she nodded the alchemist changed his arm into a blade. He stood beside her, ready to defend his love to the death if it came to that. “Where's Inuyasha?” Ed whispered, low enough he could hardly hear himself.
 
“He's back at the clearing with the others.” She realized that he was too far to smell this creature. It was coming from the opposite direction of the camp, and downwind. It was also coming quickly. The feeling of foreboding was getting stronger with each leap the thing took.
 
Jumping from the hill above, it landed before the couple. Its eyes were as red as the blood that ran through its veins. It was part cat; Willa was able to tell by the strong stench. This thing had been human, but now it was a full blooded demon. It was also being controlled by the people, or things, who were after her. It hissed at them, flexing its long claws. “Come wretch. You have been summoned.” Its voice was low, almost too soft for Edward to hear clearly. This thing knew that Inuyasha was close, and didn't want to try and take on two half demons at the same time. “Hanyou, come!” It ordered, taking a step forward.
 
“I'm not a hanyou!” Willa barked back, standing beside Ed, flexing her own claws. “So get on your way demon!” Another growl was at the base of her throat, coming out as a low warning. Without realizing it she had bore her fangs, which glistened in the sunlight.
 
“Not a hanyou?” The cat smirked, ignoring the male beside her completely. “And what would you take yourself for, a human? You wretch! Look at yourself, can you honestly believe yourself to be anything but a monster.” It laughed a little at the mere stupidity of the female before him.
 
Something seemed to snap inside Edward. It was the same as when people dared to question his brother's humanity. He would not stand for such an insult. “She is a human you jerk!” With a quick movement he ran forward, slicing the blade across the monster's chest. It leapt back, but never the less there was a deep gash in its flesh.
 
It gave the kind of low growl a male cat would give before attacking. Jumping forward it didn't give Ed time to react. With claws drawn, it came down at the alchemist. Willa watched in horror as her love began to fall, his automail arm shattered, spreading across the ground. Red liquid poured from his left cheek, his golden eyes were wide as he hit the grass with a thud, bouncing a little.
 
Willa could feel as the blood within her began to pulsate. `How dare he hurt Edward!' Her hair began to hover as if in a breeze that surrounded only her. A throb came in behind her eyes, turning the white to red while the blue combined with a shade of green. Two purple streaks appeared across her cheeks. `How dare he!'
 
When the change was complete Willa charged toward the monster, her long claws sharper than ever. The creature glanced up with shock before dashing out of the way. `How is it, the female smells like a full demon now?' But it didn't have time to ponder the question. It had to get out of her way.
 
She ran at her opponent, not even allowing him the time to go on the defensive. All her mind told her was that he had to pay for what he had done to Edward. Moving with a quickness she'd never possessed she caught up, and then raked her claws across its back. With a howl it sped up, dashing through the woods.
 
 
“What happened?” Inuyasha ran down the hill to where Ed had fallen. He had smelled the blood and could see the gash on the man's face. It wasn't too bad and certainly wasn't life threatening. What had him worried was the stench of pure demon. “Where's Willa? Where did it take here?” He demanded, holding the alchemist by the shoulders roughly.
 
Angrily Ed shoved the hanyou away. “It didn't take her anywhere. She went chasing after it.” He pointed in the direction the two had went. “It wasn't like her, she's changed. Her eyes are red and she's got markings on her cheeks. You have to catch up with her and find out what's wrong!”
 
With a nod Inuyasha took off toward where he'd been directed. `She's transformed, taken on the full demon form.' His white hair was flowing behind him as he raced along the ground. `It must be because they put my blood in her. She needs the Tetsusaiga to keep from changing. Without it, there's no telling what she'll do.'
 
Finally he was within sight. She had indeed been changed, and was fighting like a mad woman. The cat demon was barely able to stay out of her way. From the looks of things, it wouldn't have much chance at all. It dodged, but only just barely, almost loosing an arm in the process.
 
Inuyasha unsheathed Tetsusaiga as he rushed to stand next to Willa. She looked with horror at the sword then leapt away from it. The cat took that moment to run back into the woods. Before she could take chase the hanyou jumped in front of her, holding the weapon before him. It started to pulse but she was too fast, moving backward, out of its range.
 
“What are you doing?” He screamed after her angrily. “Get back here!” But she was gone, running through the woods, back toward camp. He took chase, confused by her reaction. “Stop running wench!” It seemed that the blood was trying to protect itself from becoming dormant again.
 
As she started to pass the monk, Miroku jumped before her, his staff in front of him. “Whoa, hang on there. We've got to change you back.” He moved forward but she growled, her claws ready to strike. They scraped the rod with a loud ringing noise, almost breaking it in half. The monk's eyes grew wide, as he stepped out of her way.
 
She was running again but hadn't picked up much speed before Sango was on the path in full battle gear. Her Hiraikotsu held out before her, Kirara transformed behind. “You have to stop this Willa.” She ordered, but was knocked out of the way with a swift kick to the weapon. Falling backwards she hit Kirara in the head.
 
As Willa moved along the road, Kagome could see her approach. Beside the miko stood Edward, missing his mechanical arm. Tiny Shippo stood before the pair, ready to defend them with all his might. But the crazed woman didn't even pause until she heard the alchemist call out to her. “Willa, stop!”
 
Almost instantly she had quit moving and was looking back at him. He ran to meet up with her, and she waited. His face was full of distress as he stopped before her. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. Her eyes were so different, so cold and full of destruction. “Please.” He murmured, out of breath from shock and pain. “Don't go.”
 
Inuyasha paused beside Kagome, watching the display. Willa's head turned to see him, and the sword, which he still held in his hand. She gave a low growl before shifting to take off again. The only thing that stopped her was the soft hand on her arm. She glanced down at it, and then up into the eyes of the man she loved.
 
“Let him help you.” Edward pleaded. “You don't want to be like this. Remember? You're human, like me.” His hand moved up to stroke her cheek. `Please hear me. I know you're in there Willa. I know you can hear my thoughts. Don't leave me. Don't turn your back on the people who care about you. Stay and let us help you. Please.'
 
Her head shook as the feelings passed into her own mind. Slowly her left hand rose to brush against his wounded face. It wasn't as bad as she'd supposed. Her new sense of smell had made it seem much worse. She watched as she gently stroked his cheek before staring back into those golden orbs. She nodded slightly, and closed her eyes, leaning her head against his chest. `This isn't how I'm supposed to be.'
 
Cautiously Inuyasha moved forward, holding Tetsusaiga. As he came close he could hear Willa growl slightly. But when she felt Edward's hand press against her back, she stopped. Once the sword was within range it pulsed. She frowned, pulling closer to the alchemist. With a breath the purple markings disappeared. When she backed away and looked at Ed her irises were blue again.
 
Staring down at her claws she felt sick. She had never killed anything in her life, not even when they hunted. She'd never gone through with it, always leaving Inuyasha in a sour mood. But now she could smell both the demon's blood and Edward's on her hands. She stepped away from the alchemist slowly.
 
“Willa.” He breathed, moving to wrap his arm around her. Her head shook, still looking at her nails. “It's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong.” He comforted as she finally quit backing away. With his only arm he pulled her against him, kissing her forehead lightly.
 
Her hands curled into fits against her chest. She was terrified by what had happened. Inuyasha and Shippo could smell the fear all over her. They watched as Ed held her close, allowing her to cry onto his shoulder. Sobs racked through her body, but there was nothing the hanyou or his friends could do except to observe them.