InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Roses ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 23- Epilogue
 
Three Weeks Later
 
The bounce of a ball echoed through the court, steady and dull. Bright violet eyes scanned the three people in front of her. Yusuke stood slightly to her left, Kurama to her right, and Ami behind him. She looked eyes with the bluenette and nodded, pushing off to her left. She dodged around Yusuke, throwing the ball directly in front of her, where no one was standing.
 
And suddenly Ami was there, picking up the ball and running down the basketball court. She jumped straight up, the ball curving out of her hands, falling easily into the hoop. She landed in a crouch; her now long blue hair falling over her shoulders, the loose ponytail the only thing keeping it together.
 
Hotaru grinned, “Come on boys. Your not going to let two little girls beat you at your silly game, are you?” Kurama spook as he walked back up the court, Yusuke holding the ball. “This silly game isn't over yet.” Yusuke grinned and tossed him the ball. “That's my wingman.”
 
Ami arched an eyebrow as she turned to face the redhead. “You need a new wingman.” Kurama frowned, “I'm going to kick your ass.” Ami grinned, “Promises, promises.” She whispered in a teasing tone, hips swaying with her words. Kurama looked over her shoulder and met Yusuke's eyes. He nodded, throwing the ball up high. Ami's fingers brushed the bottom, Hotaru's hand slamming into it and sending it off course.
 
Yusuke dove but missed as a shrill ring rang through the court. Ami's eyes widened and she straightened, gasping. “I'm late!” She shouted, running over to her bags and yanking her hair out of its ponytail. Yusuke frowned, “Late? For what?” Ami rolled her eyes and shook her head. “School you idiot. What else?” Yusuke frowned and looked down at Hotaru. “Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the weekend?”
 
Ami rolled her eyes as she ran away. “Prep school you Idiot!” She shouted, throwing her water bottle at him. As it left her hand the water froze so when Yusuke caught it out of reflex he had to drop it because of the temperature. Yusuke frowned and spoke, “Ice? I know it's hot but that's a bit much. And school, on a weekend? Yeesh, she's whose then you Kurama!”
 
Hotaru smiled, “Well, I don't think Kurama's one of the smartest kids in the country.” They blinked down at her, “Your kidding.” Hotaru shook her head. She looked down at the water bottle at Yusuke's feet. `Mercurian ice. Able to freeze anything on touch. Able to give anyone within a 5inch radius frostbite. However this isn't as potent. Yusuke's lucky for that. If it wasn't contained in the bottle he most certainly would have lost his hand.'
 
Yusuke frowned as he stared at the dark girl next to him. “Hello! Earth to Death!” Hotaru blinked large violet eyes up at him. “Yes?” Yusuke blinked, “You okay?” she nodded, “I'm contemplating the likelihood of Mercurian ice on earth and how lucky you are to have your hand.” Yusuke gave her a blank stare. She laughed, “I'm joking.” She stated, waving a hand in nervousness.
 
Kurama sighed. “How did the meeting with Koenma go?” Hotaru snickered, “Keiko was loud, Kagome was a bitch, Tomoyo was as silent as the dead, and Koenma blamed it all on the paperwork. I don't think he likes his promotion very much.” Yusuke laughed, “That's Koenma.” He lost his grin. “But seriously, everything went alright?”
 
Hotaru nodded, “Some broken bones here, some lose of hearing there but it turned out aright.” She smiled up at him, “I think, for the first time in a long time, I can stop fighting.” Her smile dimmed, her eyes growing darker before she shook her head and looked up at a tree. “Walk me home, Hiei?” There was a black blur and suddenly the fire demon was at her side, her black bag held loosely in one hand. He held it out and with a smile she took it, turning to walk home; Hiei always two steps behind her.
 
Yusuke smiled, “Looks like more came out of this than Koenma's promotion huh?” Hotaru, almost like she had heard him, turned around with a vicious smile. “Yusuke, aren't you forgetting something?” At Yusuke's dull look she rolled her eyes. “Okay, but when Keiko's screams and hits you don't say I didn't warn you.”
 
As the two dark teens disappeared from site, Yusuke froze, paling. “Oh. Shit.” He whispered and ran off. Kurama chuckled and shook his head. “We're like one big, disfunctional family. A disfunctional, hilarious family.”
 
Hiei looked at the girl next to him as they walked. “Do you regret it?” Hotaru blinked and looked over at him. “Regret what?” He frowned down at the ground. “Remembering.” Hotaru blinked, “Should I?” The boy shrugged his shoulders. Hotaru sighed and shook her head. “I don't. I never did, even when I was forced to leave. Why do you ask?”
 
Hiei frowned, “You just…looked so sad. Back at the park. And being a demon, you can never really stop fighting.” Hotaru smiled softly. “I'm sorry. If I worried you.” She looked over at him, brushing dark hair out of her eyes that the wind insisted belonged there. “The truth is I've never been happier.”
 
`I've never been happier.' Rang through four different minds at exactly the same time.