Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Family First ❯ To help eachother ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Family First

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho.

“Hiei thoughts” as well as “everyone else’s thoughts”
“Yoko thoughts”
“Kurama thoughts”


You could hear a pin drop in the room after Ku-loon’s statement. Yusuke’s mind was going a mile a minute, trying to figure out how that was possible. When Ku-loon’s eyes darted toward Kurama, so did his. His friend had stepped away from his cousin, a small smile on his face at his handy work. Yusuke quickly inspected Kagome, taking in her breathing, the small heaves of her chest that didn’t looked so forced, noticing her face was no longer swollen and bruised and the blood on her bandages were starting to dry.

Yusuke turned back towards his aunt, desperate for some answers. “What do you mean… 500 years in the past? I’ve heard a lot of things Aunty, but I’ve never heard anything like that.”

Ku-loon looked down, refusing to meet his eyes. “You remember the old well shed that I never let you two play in at kids? And you got so mad at me when I boarded it up?”

Yusuke shuffled wondering what the hell that had to do with his question. “Ya, I remember Aunty, but-”
“Well, on Kagome’s 15 birthday, they thought the cat had gotten in there and Kagome went in. Something came out of the well and attacked her, dragging her back into the well…and 500 years in the past. Because of this.. This… jewel, that Kagome was born with in her body, she can travel back and forth, and has been for 5 years now, because she accidentally broke the jewel after the demon bit it out of her body, and well.. To make a really long story short, she’s been trying to gather all these shattered jewel pieces before some bad guy gets them and destroys the world. For a long time, she had the protection of a half-demon named Inuyasha, but when we found her at the bottom of the well after we heard an explosion, she kept saying ‘Inuyasha, no please don’t’.”

To say the three boys were stunned is an understatement. Yusuke looked at his grandpa, Souta, looking for anything that said ‘jokes on you’. But there was none. Ku-loon took a deep breath in, looking between the three boys, begging them to believe her. Kurama stepped around the bed. “Ma’am if you don’t mind me asking, what is the name of this jewel?”

Ku-loon thought for a minute but suddenly the older man in the chair stepped up and looked Kurama square in the eye. “You say you’re a demon huh? Well chew on this- it’s called the Shikon No Tama. You are looking at the Shikon Priestess.”
After his proclamation Kurama gasped, and took a step back, looking between the man and the young woman lying on the bed. “But, but you must be mistaken, the half demon prince never turned on her!” He stated looking back at the old man.
“Or so the legend is told, which is an indication that something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along the way.” He nodded solemnly, walking up to his granddaughter and patting her foot.

“Wait gramps. Are you talking about that fairytale you told to Kags and me when we were little about the heroine and her friends that saved the world from a man who sold his soul for power??” Yusuke exclaimed, remembering suddenly why this sounded so very familiar.

Grandpa nodded, closing his eyes. “The story has been passed down for generations, but for my own Kagome to be the Shikon Miko…” He sighed and looked at Yusuke. “She has to go back. But she can’t go alone. She no longer has protection, and he grasps her heart. He will deceive her Yusuke, and I only trust you to keep her safe.” Grandpa’s eyes steeled and Yusuke felt his stomach drop at the implications of his statements.

“I promise Gramps, I’ll kee-” He was cut short when all eyes turned to Kagome.

She was waking up.

Everyone waited with bated breath as she stirred, and then opened her eyes.


Kagome

The last thing I remember was pain. I really don’t want to move if I was in pain not that long ago. So first a hand, and then my head, and my mouth. Well, it can’t be that bad. I started to open my eyes, but damn! That light is so bright. Alright now, slowly… everything’s all hazy, but I instantly realize I’m not alone. Blinking through the haze, the first person I see is Yusuke. What the hell? Am I dreaming?

“Yusuke…?” I realized after I said it I sounded like a 90 year old smoker. But instantly, Yusuke was beside me, holding my hand, caressing my hair.
“How you doing cuz? You feeling alright? Man am I glad to see you’re ok.” His face was so sincere, he was so concerned that I know my face must have looked like a puzzle. And then it hit me. I’m in the hospital. Oh God… Inuyasha…
Despite myself I felt the tears welling in my eyes. As much as I didn’t want my cousin to worry, the memories hit me like a wall and all I felt was pain. The way he looked at me, the horrible things he said… the searing pain that ripped my body..
I looked down at my body expecting to see a mangled half-corpse.

“My uh, friend here, Kurama is an avatar with a kitsune. He uh… healed your wounds.” Yusuke sounded sheepish. I looked around and noticed my family standing around the bed, but in the background, there stood two strangers, silent and smiling politely. Trying to find the avatar, I felt at their aura’s, listening to the two gasp, and finding the inner fox in the redhead, I smiled politely.
“Thank you very much sir.” I mustered, trying to sound a little more like me and not so…old.

“It was nothing miss. I’m glad I could help.” He smiled back politely and gave a small bow of respect.

Turning back to Yusuke, I started to search for the words to explain how I got such wounds when it hit me… Avatar?? Kitsune??
I stared at Yusuke, and then at the avatar, and turned my attention to the one with orange hair, and looked closer at his aura. Spirit power?? What is this?!
I opened my mouth to fire questions but Yusuke cut me off.

“Nope. I’ll answer those questions later. First, did Inuyasha do this to you? And second, I’m going back with you.”

He sounded so matter of fact that I didn’t know what to say for a second. I looked at mom and she just stared at me, daring me to question her. Uhoh… I know that look..
Looking back at Yusuke I knew I wasn’t getting out of this one. ‘Did Inuyasha do this to you?’ I didn’t know how to answer. I wanted to say no, he would never hurt me, it was all just a dream. He’s my hero… my best friend… my rescuer… he’s my everything…
I felt the tears falling down my cheeks but I could do nothing to stop them. Once they started coming, they just wouldn’t stop. Inuyasha…how could you do this to me?

Yusuke

Seeing her tears was almost too much for me. I glanced back at my friends only to see the same look on their faces. This bastard is going to die. Kagome looked away from me, hoping to hide her tears. That’s all the answer I need. Standing up I pulled her close and kissed the top of her head.
“I need to go set things in order for me to leave. I love you cuz, hang in there. I’ll be back before night fall.”
She sniffed and nodded, still not meeting my eyes. I grabbed her chin gently, forcing her to look at me. Her bright blue eyes shined with tears as she looked at me, pain so clear it cut right through my heart.
“He will never hurt you again Kagome. I’m here for you now.”
Without waiting for a response I turned and left, hugging Souta and Aunty, whispering words of comfort and promises of coming back. Shaking gramps hand, he looked me firmly in the eyes and nodded shortly.
Turning to my friends I nodded for us to leave and with that, we turned and walked out the door.

We were silent walking down the hospital halls, passing people till we were out on the sidewalk, walking back towards the residential area of town. Finally, Kuwabara spoke, breaking the silent rage boiling inside.

“I want to go with you Yusuke. You shouldn’t have to do this alone, and that poor girl didn’t deserve what that bastard did to her.” He said it so confidentially; it left no room for question. With that Kurama nodded.

“I agree Yusuke, I think we should talk to Koema, and make him let us all go. I think going 500 years into the past is something that needs to be a group effort, especially if we are to protect the Shikon Miko.”

I didn’t say anything. I didn’t know if I wanted my team getting involved. “This is a family thing. I don’t think Koema is going to let you all go. He’s going to be pissed that I’m going but he can kiss my ass if he thinks he’s going to tell me no.” The more I talked the madder I got. How dare that bastard hurt my sweet innocent cousin! She fucking trusted him! That bastard… If Koema even thinks of telling me no I’ll pound his baby ass into the ground! I-

Kuwabara interrupted my inner ranting. “Well if it has to do with an important bit of history, isn’t that part of our job too? If all three of us want to go, he can’t tell us no, and we can just drag shorty along even if he doesn’t want to go! This isn’t just your problem Yusuke, you care about her, therefore we’re going to be there for you! A team never lets a member down!”

Despite my anger I couldn’t help but smile. “Fine, I’ll need someone to take my anger out on anyways!” Grabbing him in a head lock, I wrestled him down the street.

Kagome

The nurses and doctors just couldn’t believe it. I didn’t realize how close I was to death, until the doctors clued me in that there was talk of pulling the plug soon. How long was I in here for?
I saved my questions. My family could answer them when these so call professionals quite fussing over me and let me go. My doctor left a few minutes ago, after mom put in the request for me to leave. Knowing he would probably say no, I was steeling myself to put my foot down when he comes back.
Finally, he walked in with a chart in his hand shaking his head. Smiling politely I could tell he was trying to find a reason to keep me. “Well it sure is a miracle. She seems perfectly fine! However, I don’t think she should leave just yet; we want to keep her over night for observations and tests. Try and figure out how she miraculously fixed her whole body and of course, make sure she stays that way.”

“No.” I said, quietly but firmly. He didn’t need to hear the rasp in my voice. “I am fine. You see that with your own two eyes and with your machines. I am going home, now.” I left no room for argument, glaring at him with my strongest look. Staggering back, he stumbled for words, trying to find a way around my protest. Sighing, I started with the closes wire and started pulling. He shouted his protest, but he came no closer. When all the needles and wires were out of me I leaped off the bed, reaching for the coat my mother was holding out to me and looked at my doctor.
“Thank you sir, for helping me heal, and taking such good care of me. But if you excuse me, I’ll be on my way now.”
And with that, I walked out the door, my family trailing out behind me.


The trip home was a silent one, but Souta clung to me in the back seat, not saying a word. Poor thing, he was probably worried sick. He is always trying to protect me. Just like Inuyasha. Inuyasha was his hero.. The poor kid…

We didn’t say much till we got inside, the house was cold and dark like no one had been here in a few days so my first line of duty was to turn on the heater. Before the questions started, I raced upstairs and changed into sweats and a tank top.
Looking at my torso, only thin lines marked where his claws had dug so ferociously into me. Here come the tears again. Throwing my shirt on quickly, I combed my hair and washed my face, hoping to steady my nerves before I went down to face my family. They all counted on him… trusted him.. How do I explain his change??

We sat around the table in silence, tea cups in our hand, no on willing to open their mouth first. Finally, my mom opened her mouth to speak, but it was Souta that cried out.
“I want to go back with you!! I don’t want you to go alone!” he cried, tears springing to his eyes as he slammed his mug down. “I want to make sure that baka never hurts you again!!!”

“Souta… you know you can’t go back with me, it’s too dangerous. Plus, I’m not alone. Yusuke promised to go back with me, and I still have Sango and Miroku…” Trying to calm down my hysterical brother it dawned on me that I might not have Sango and Miroku. If he hurt them.. Oh God I have to get back… Trying to stay calm myself I looked at my mom for help with him.

“She’s right Souta, you must stay here. You’re too young to-”

“But mom I’m 14!! I’m almost as old as Kagome was!!!” he shouted trying desperately to win an argument everyone was against.
“My answer is no Souta.” My mom said, quiet authority in her voice, but she didn’t look up from her teacup.

“It’s not fair!! Why can’t I go? Why can’t I protect her! I don’t want to lose my sister!” His tears streamed down his face as he bowed his head, sobs coming to his throat. I figured it was my turn to step in again.

“Souta you’re not going to lose me. If you came, you would worry me every time we went into battle. You would be a liability, and all my enemies can smell that we’re related. You CAN’T protect me Souta! You need to stay here where I know your safe, and I can fight to come back to you.”

His eyes were daggers when he looked at me. “I can’t believe you! If you die over there I’ll never forgive you!” And with that, he ran out of the room, up the stairs, slamming his bedroom door.

I heard my mom sigh. Looking between her and gramps, I knew what came next.
“You know your brother didn’t mean that. He’s just upset. And scared. We all are Kagome. I would ask you not to go back, but I know it would be a waste of breath. But I would like to know what happened. What you’re facing when you go back. And please. Don’t spare us. We need to know if you’ll come back to us.”

The pain in my mother’s voice almost brought me to tears. I know all these years of fighting have caused them so much strife. So much worry. But yet, there’s nothing I can do about it. I MUST go back.
“Inuyasha… has been changing recently. We have always fought, we have always called each other names, but recently he started getting…violent about it. His visits to Kikyo started getting more frequent. One night, he came back from seeing her and woke me up to make him food. Well, I was mad. I told him where he could shove it, and rolled back over. He picked me up by my shoulders and shook me, screaming in my face. Then he threw me to the ground.”
I could feel the tears welling up and rolling down my cheeks as I talked. I didn’t want to continue, but I owed my family this much.
“We got into a huge fight that woke the whole camp up. Screaming back and forth he said some really hurtful things to me. I knew it was going to make me cry so I took off into the woods. But I heard Miroku say before I was out of earshot, ‘You really should go after her Inuyasha, she shouldn’t be out there alone, and you really were too harsh.’ So I knew he would come for me. I ran till I got to the open clearing by the well, and sat down on the wells lip. It wasn’t long until he showed. He walked up to me silently; I thought he was just ashamed of himself. But… then he started laughing. He told me, he had been waiting to get me alone for a while now. That my time there was over. He had had enough of my shi- er, crap. I tried to talk to him, at first I wasn’t scared. But then he grabbed me. And I knew this wasn’t my Inuyasha anymore… he reached for my jewel shards around my neck but I grabbed them and threw them into the well. So he slapped me. Hard. I couldn’t see out of my left eye, and then I knew I was in trouble. After that… to be honest it was all quite a blur to me. After he tore into me, he threw me to the ground. I knew my only hope of escaping was through the well. He laughed at me but I remembered all of a sudden the Sit command and sat him, until I could get to the well. He grabbed my leg as I was falling into the well but then I sat him again and then…everything just went black.”

Both my grandpa and mom were crying silently by the time I was done.
“I…I need to go check on the well. See if my jewel shards came through with me or not.” I started to get up, I couldn’t handle their tears. But then grandpa pulled out a necklace from his inner shirt. It was my jewel shards!

“I figured there was a reason they were on the ground, and I knew they were better with me then on the ground.” he said with a smile. To be honest I didn’t know what to say. I was just so thankful.

“I want you to promise me something child.” He said after I took them and say back down.
“Anything gramps.”
“Don’t let your heart rule your head. Or your instincts. You’re a beautiful girl Kagome, inside and out. And you’ll want to forgive him for what he did to you. Promise an old man you won’t forgive him.”
His voice was so tough, so old, he sounded almost scared. But his eyes pleaded with me and I know he’s right.
“I promise grandpa.”

Yusuke

“You’re going where!?!?!?!” Keiko screamed flailing her arms around like a lunatic.

“I told you already! I’m going to the past to protect my little cousin! Jeesh woman quit acting so crazy!” I yelled back, tired of her antics and just wanting to get back to Kagome.

“So you’re just going to leave me?! Again! Yusuke how dare you! This isn’t even a mission! Your just being an over protective cousin! You don’t need to go she can do it on her-”
I stepped up real close to her, deadly written all over my face.
“She was nearly killed Keiko. If I hadn’t shown up with Kurama, she would be DEAD right now. Do you get that? I’m going, and you are going to shut up about it.”
I stepped away already smelling the salt of her tears. But I turned my back anyways and continued packing. With a sob she ran out of the room and threw herself on the couch. I know I was too harsh on her. My want to get to my cousin makes dealing with her tantrum difficult. So I finished packing and set my bag by the door. Walking into the living room I instantly felt guilty at the sounds of her sobs and sniffles. Sitting down beside her I rubbed her back gently.
“Hey… look I’m sorry I was so mean earlier. I didn’t mean to get so cruel. But babe. You gotta understand. When life with my mom was too hard as a child, Aunty would take me for weeks at a time. Kagome was my lifeline for a long time. Up until I died, I was always there for her, just as she was always there for me. She would keep me out of fights, and I would keep the boys away from her, and fight for her honor. We were as close as ever. I saw her nearly every weekend. When I died… I kinda forgot about her. I saw her a few times, but she always looked the same. More beautiful and grown every time, but always the same innocent cousin that I had always been there for. I thought she didn’t need me anymore…so I left her alone. Partly because I didn’t want to drag her into our world, and partly because I was always just so busy. To find out that this whole time she needed me more than anything… I can’t help but feel guilty. I need to help her Keiko. She needs me.”

Keiko was silent for a minute, and I thought that maybe she wouldn’t forgive me for snapping at her. But then she turned to look at me with a smile on her face. Tears still stained her face, but she wasn’t crying anymore.
“Go ahead Yusuke, you know I’m just being selfish. I’m sorry for the things I said. Please be careful ok? And come home soon.”
Standing at the bottom of the temple, we stood looking at the stairs that were even more daunting the Genkai’s.

“Aww man, how are we supposed to get up those!?” Kuwabara instantly started complaining. Hiei jumped up the stairs 20 at a time, while Kurama started a steady pace up them, hands shoved into his pockets, taking in the forest surrounding the grounds. Looking at Kuwabara, I grinned.
“I bet I can beat you up them!” And then the race was on.

We reached the top of the stairs panting and laughing, Kurama and Hiei waiting for us. Kuwabara fell to the ground in a tired heap while I tried to catch my breath. Just as I was about to make a smart ass remark about Kurama beating us I heard yelling.

“But mom I’m 14!! I’m almost as old as Kagome was!!!”
“My answer is no Souta.”

I knew instantly it was Aunty and Souta. I crept up to the kitchen window my three friends in step behind me.

“It’s not fair!! Why can’t I go? Why can’t I protect her! I don’t want to lose my sister!”

“Souta you’re not going to lose me. If you came, you would worry me every time we went into battle. You would be a liability, and all my enemies can smell that we’re related. You CAN’T protect me Souta! You need to stay here where I know your safe, and I can fight to come back to you.”

Kagome’s voice was so calm, so matter of fact; you would never know she was talking about her own life.

“I can’t believe you! If you die over there I’ll never forgive you!”

I heard him pounding up the stairs and a door slamming. I looked back at my friends who all shuffled their eyes feeling guilty for listening. Just as I was about to move from the window, Aunty spoke up.

“You know your brother didn’t mean that. He’s just upset. And scared. We all are Kagome. I would ask you not to go back, but I know it would be a waste of breath. But I would like to know what happened. What your facing when you go back. And please. Don’t spare us. We need to know if you’ll come back to us.”

I held my breath, hoping to get the answers that have racked my brain all day. Finally, when Kagome spoke, her voice that had been so calm minutes before was shaky and pain filled.

“Inuyasha… has been changing recently. We have always fought, we have always called each other names, but recently he started getting…violent about it. His visits to Kikyo started getting more frequent. One night, he came back from seeing her and woke me up to make him food. Well, I was mad. I told him where he could shove it, and rolled back over. He picked me up by my shoulders and shook me, screaming in my face. Then he threw me to the ground.”

When I smelled salt, I felt rage boiling up. I balled up my fist till I felt blood drip off my hand. Kurama put his hand on my shoulder, trying to help me stay calm.

“We got into a huge fight that woke the whole camp up. Screaming back and forth he said some really hurtful things to me. I knew it was going to make me cry so I took off into the woods. But I heard Miroku say before I was out of earshot, ‘You really should go after her Inuyasha, she shouldn’t be out there alone, and you really were too harsh.’ So I knew he would come for me. I ran till I got to the open clearing by the well, and sat down on the wells lip. It wasn’t long until he showed. He walked up to me silently; I thought he was just ashamed of himself. But… then he started laughing. He told me, he had been waiting to get me alone for a while now. That my time there was over. He had had enough of my shi- er, crap. I tried to talk to him, at first I wasn’t scared. But then he grabbed me. And I knew this wasn’t my Inuyasha anymore… he reached for my jewel shards around my neck but I grabbed them and threw them into the well. So he slapped me. Hard. I couldn’t see out of my left eye, and then I knew I was in trouble. After that… to be honest it was all quite a blur to me. After he tore into me, he threw me to the ground. I knew my only hope of escaping was through the well. He laughed at me but I remembered all of a sudden the Sit command and sat him, until I could get to the well. He grabbed my leg as I was falling into the well but then I sat him again and then…everything just went black.”

I could barely breathe. I saw red. How dare that asshole.. I’ll kill him. I’ll fucking kill him. Kurama’s hand squeezed my shoulder warning me not to do anything rash. I heard a chair scrap against the floor and for a second I thought we were caught.

“I…I need to go check on the well. See if my jewel shards came through with me or not.”

I started to move so she wouldn’t see us but then she gasped. Pausing, I wished I could see what was going on.

“I figured there was a reason they were on the ground, and I knew they were better with me then on the ground.”

The chair scrapped against the ground again and I relaxed.

“I want you to promise me something child.”
“Anything gramps.”
“Don’t let your heart rule your head. Or your instincts. You’re a beautiful girl Kagome, inside and out. And you’ll want to forgive him for what he did to you. Promise an old man you won’t forgive him.”
“I promise grandpa.”

My friends and I moved away from the kitchen window and towards the front door as quietly as possible. However before I could knock, the door opened and my little cousin stood in the doorway, arms crossed over her chest.

“You know it’s not very polite to listen to other people’s private conversations.” She said, eyebrow raised, toe tapping.
I shuffled, not meeting her hawk eyes, trained on me.
“Well… um… well if you guys weren’t yelling I wouldn’t have noticed!!!”
Instantly I felt bad. The look on her face fell and she looked away.
“Souta gets a little upset. I’m sorry.”

“Good job Urameshi…” I heard Kuwabara murmur at me. Looking back I saw my friends shaking their heads at me.

“Well might as well come in, why are your friends here Yuyu?” she said opening the door wide enough to let us pass.

“Yuyu huh? That’s an interesting uhh… nickname.” Kurama snickered behind me, causing Kuwabara to laugh at me.
Turning around I was getting ready to punch their faces in when Kagome grabbed my arm.
“Hey save the violence for the bad guys ok?”

Again my friends started to laugh, until she cleared her throat and raised her eyebrows.
“Excuse me. You’re in my house. He has had that nickname since he was a baby, so unless you would like to show yourselves out, show some respect.”
Hiei started to turn around to walk out the door till Kurama stopped him. Kagome looked at me and shook her head.
“Well I know why they’re your friends, care to introduce us properly Yusuke?”

Clearing my throat I started with Kuwabara and moved to Kurama and Hiei.
“The big oaf over here is Kuwabara. If he asks you to be his girlfriend, knock him out. The redhead, you know, is Kurama, and the little short guy in the back is Hiei, he’s a prick don’t mind him.”
Next thing I know I’m getting hit. Hard.
“Ow!! What the hell was that for?!?!”

“Yusuke I don’t know your friends, be nice and let me make my own opinions of them you big bully!”
“I’m not a bully! I’m telling you the truth! Damn you woman always accusing me of shit I didn’t do!”

“Excuse me Yusuke but since when is that sort of language allowed in my house?”
Ahhhh shit.

“Sorry Aunty…”

“What a family.” Kuwabara said, talking to Kurama.
I shot a glare at the two, but that didn’t stop Kurama from remarking, “Well we know his violent temper runs in his family, even if they conduct themselves better.” At that my friends all smiled. Ignoring them so I didn’t get in any more trouble, I turned back to Aunty just in time to see her open her arms wide for a hug. When I leaned down to hug her, she murmured in my ear, “This means the world to me Yusuke.” before releasing me. I could feel my face start to heat so I made a quick getaway into the kitchen to greet gramps, leaving my snickering friends and psycho family in the entryway.

Kagome

I took the time to quickly appraise Yusuke’s friends a little better than I could in the hospital. The man named Kuwabara was indeed human, much like Miroku with the strength of his holy powers. Moving back to the avatar his keen eyes were already trained on me, as if he knew what I was doing. I felt my face heating up but I couldn’t break his gaze. If he saw that I was weak I would lose before I began. His souls entwined within him, swirling red and silver and for a second I could have sworn he was reaching out to me. Instead of appeasing his curiosity, I moved onto the last man. Of the three, he looked the most dangerous. His aura swirled violently. For a second I was confused. ’Three auras?? How is that possible?’ But then his eyes met mind and I knew if I dug any deeper I would be in trouble. His demeanor screamed “Fuck with me and I’ll kill you”. Not a great prospect. So instead I shot him a bright smile that extended to the other two after a second; “Should we follow the pouting child into the kitchen?” Without waiting for their response, I turned on my heal and followed mom into the kitchen after Yusuke.


Kurama

“What an interesting human Red… I am quite glad you healed her. She had a lot of fire.” Yoko purred, the excitement of someone new reverberating through their shared head.

“This is Yusuke’s cousin Yoko, you can’t go messing with her, not if you value our friendship with him.” Kurama replied, trying desperately to stop this before it started.

“Yusuke’s cousin or not, she is interesting, she is a woman of legends Red, she has miko powers, do you know how rare that is?” Yoko failed to get Kurama’s message, getting more and more excited by the minute.

“She is dangerous fox, she could kill you with one look.” A voice invaded their head, raining on Yoko’s parade only for a second.

“Ahhh yes but the more danger the more fun, aren’t I right my little firecracker?” he purred.

“Hn.”

Tuning out his counter partner, Kurama followed after the small woman in front of them, wondering not for the first time, what this little adventure had in store for them.

Everyone

In the kitchen Kagome pinned Yusuke with a hard look. “You know, it is one thing for you to decide to butt yourself into this, but dragging your friends into this isn’t acceptable Yusuke. You can’t put them in danger for my issues.”

Everyone had gathered around the table, minus Souta, and no sooner did they all take their seat did Kagome lay into Yusuke.

“With all due respect ma’am-” Kurama tried to cut in but Kagome was having none of it. She turned her glare on him and held up a hand.

“For one, you guys don’t even know what you’re getting yourselves into. I appreciate you all trying to play hero to the poor damsel in distress, but you cannot come with me. I’m not sure how much you all know, but it is not nearly enough.” She said, looking them all in the eye.

“HA! There isn’t anything you can do about it now. I put it into the baby I work for and he’s sending all of us. It’s our job, so you can’t say no.” Yusuke bragged, leaning away from the table and crossing his arms.

“Excuse me? Your boss? What the hell are you talking about Yusuke? What exactly have you been doing these last few years?” She asked, mimicking his stance as her eyes narrowed on his grinning face.

“Ma’am, we work for the demi-god Koema in the spirit world. We have been requested as defenders of the three realms to aid you in your quest. I belive that answer your most immediate questions as far as us coming along as well.” Kurama butted in, trying to smooth the conversation out as much as possible. When Kagome looked at him, he tried a tentative smile. She blinked owlishly, and looked back at Yusuke.

“So that’s what happened to you huh?” She said softly. When Yusuke’s grin faded and he scratched the back of his head she smiled softly. She looked over the three companions of her cousin one more time; Kurama’s tentative smile as if he was trying to coax a scared animal, Kuwabara’s wide grin that said he was ready and willing, and Hiei’s bored eyes resting anywhere but on her, her smile widened. Turning back to Yusuke she reached across the table and took his hand. When his eyes met hers, she simply said “Thank you.” With that, she turned and announced that she needed to pack a few things.