InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Just Another Story ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 10
 
Kagome walked through the darkness. The last she thing she remembered was pain in her stomach and Hiei's soft skin under her fingertips. She didn't no exactly where she was at them moment, all she knew was that the Jewel Shards were close and she had to find them.
 
It seemed like she's been walking for an eternity with the darkness only seeming to become blacker and the shards seemingly never getting any closer. But that changed quickly as a violet eye came into view, glaring at her tiny figure.
 
“Be gone, Priestess…” The words rang through the blackness, haunting and forlorn. “Master Naraku wishes no harm to thee…”
 
“Master Naraku? What about Hiei? Isn't he suppose to be your master?” Kagome wasn't sure if she was going to get an answer, but she had to try. And she was rewarded.
 
An ominous laugher filled the air, taunting Kagome. “Hiei… Hiei hath not offered this power to me… Naraku did…” Again, the ominous laugher filled the blackness. The violet eye began to glow, as if threatening Kagome.
 
Kagome ignored the power that was now being released from the Jagan in front of her. “Where are the Jewel Shards?” She could feel a force pushing against her body, as if something was turning to force to back down.
 
“The shards are forever mine, Priestess… Now be gone…”
 
The emptiness around Kagome began to mum with power as she concentrated on forcing her energy to the surface. “Eye, I warn you once. Let me pass and retrieve the shards, or else you'll force me into purifying you from existence. And believe me, purification is not a painless thing.” She watched as the eye narrowed in anger, but otherwise it what she told of it, vanishing as if it were never there to begin with.
 
Letting out the breath she hadn't known she'd been holding, Kagome cautiously continued on her way. This time, it didn't take her near as long to run into something else. But this something else she was happy to see.
 
“Hiei.” Her voice was nothing but a whisper, but seemed to boom in the abyss. “Hiei, are you alright?” She stopped, a few feet in front of him, taking in his form. One of the first things that she noticed, even with his head hung, that he didn't have a bandanna on like he had when she had saw him on the roof.
 
“Why didn't you kill me when you had the chance?” Though it sounded like a question, it was more of a demanded. “Answer me!” Hiei finally lifted his head and looked Kagome in the eye when he didn't receive an answer. “And don't tell me that I don't deserve it, because I grantee you, I do.”
 
“That is why I didn't answer you. It doesn't matter what you think you deserve, it matters what you truly do deserve.” Kagome was hoping that he would understand, or at least except it.
 
“How would you know what I deserve and what I don't?” Hiei's eyes blazed with anger.
 
Kagome sighed. “You're right, but I do trust what I see. What I see in you is; misjudged, loneliness, and hatred toward your self. All in all, what I see is a tormented soul seeking something and I feel, that because you can't find what you're searching for you seek death. But death is not an answer, not for you, me or anyone.”
 
“Hn. And what would you know?” Snorting, Hiei crossed his arms across his chest, staring off into the darkness.
 
Kagome covered her mouth with her face as she bite her lip, trying her best not to laugh at the `sulking' demon in front of her. Getting herself under control, she answered him. “You are not the only one that suffers here. We may suffer in different ways, but never the less it's still suffering.” Stopping, she took a deep breath, trying to get her emotions back under control.
 
“My suffering, Hiei, is being the Guardian of the Shikon Jewel, the same jewel that was shattered and rakes havoc across, not only this time, but the Feudal Era. The jewel shards, the same that are implanted in your Jagan, are the same that destroyed and will continue destroy innocent lives. But I must live with the knowledge that I have released a monster that I was suppose to keep save, guarded, and even, to some degree, hidden.”
 
He stared; in his ruby eye Kagome see him debating with him self. As to what he was debating, Kagome could only guess. When he finally did decide to speak, Kagome listened intently.
 
“So, you are the master of this monster? So tell me, what do you have to do with the one that gave the Jagan this power?” Turning, he motioned for Kagome to follow him.
 
“You mean Naraku?” She didn't need him to answer that question. “He is collecting the jewel, wanting to use it power to make him a full demon and a lord over all.”
 
“That is not what I asked.” Hiei growled. Sensing her confusion, he sighed and rephrased himself. “Why was it that Naraku wanted me to bring you to him unharmed?”
 
A look of disgust passed across her face and her words drip with revulsion as she spoke. “Naraku wants me as his `mate'. What he doesn't seem to understand is that I'll kill him before he would even have a chance to bed with me.”
 
He snickered a bit under his breath. Suddenly, he came to a halt, Kagome running into his back. He heard her mumble her apologizes, but he ignored it, focusing his attention in front of him. “What you seek is on the other side of that barrier. Now, the question is are you still strong enough to reach your prize?”
 
Kagome eyes widen as she eyed the violet hazed barrier. “How is it that you miasma in your mind?” As she stepped passed Hiei, energy began to snap from the barrier, reacting to her pure energy.
 
“You're asking me?” Hiei scuffed before adding. “Besides we're within the Jagan's mind, not my own.”
 
“I see…” Kagome more or less was talking to her self as her eyes scanned over barrier. Finally, after a few minutes, Kagome turned back to face Hiei, a grim look plastered on her face.
 
“If I remove this barrier now, you will die. The miasma that concealed behind the barrier is enough to poison and kill a large army of demons. And as I told you before, I do not believe that you deserve death.” Allowing the apparition to absorb the information, she continued. “But there is away around death, but I don't know if you will agree.”
 
“Tell me, are you going to give me a choice in the matter?” His voice was laced with mock annoyance and boredom.
 
“Well, there is the option of continuing to be under Naraku's control.” A faint smile appeared on her lips as she watch Hiei glare at her like was crazy. “I didn't think you would like that option.”
 
“So what exactly is it that I need to do?” His voice held deep mistrust as he quickly cut off her laugher. Eyeing her suspiciously, Hiei waited impatiently for her to explain.
 
“Actually, you wont have to anything but stay within certain distance of me. Otherwise, I ask nothing of you.” Kagome sighed, trying to think of anything else that she needed to tell him.
 
“Why?”
 
“Well, my aura, as you probably already know, is pure and can purify the tainted and since a human, I can't just purify the miasma for your mind. I'd end of killing you in a very painful way. So instead of purifying the miasma all at once, I'm going to do it a little at a time.” Taking a deep breath, she continued. “Anyway, if you were to leave my aura's presence for any length of time, the miasma would begin to poison you.”
 
“Hn. Whatever.” Crossing his arms, he once again stared off into the darkness, seemingly pouting. “I believe it's time that we return to our bodies.”
 
As soon as though words left his mouth, Kagome felt herself being pulled out of his mind. Smiling, she gave a small wave. “See you when you wake up.”