InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Just Another Story ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Note: Hope you guys like it, because personally I believe that I could have written it better than I did. Anyways, I just wanted to get this up for you guys, so sorry for any mistakes or confuse that there may be.
 
I want to thank all who have reviewed so far!
 
Chapter 9
 
“So… um, what do you want to do until he gets back?” Keiko sat on the rim of the bed as Kagome slid off the edge. Keiko nodded that her stormy-colored eyes were trained on the paper she'd dropped. Watching Kagome picked up the paper, her eyes scanning over the words, she became curious. “Can you actually read that writing?”
 
“Yes, I can. You were right in your early assumption, this is Ancient Japanese, dated back about five hundred years or so.” Kagome didn't bother looking up at the other girl, already knowing that she was curious.
 
“What does it say?” Keiko had moved from her place on the bed to stand next to Kagome, eyeing the note over her shoulder.
 
“It says:
 
I've taken another as my pet, and her as a guarantee. If you wish to who my newest addition is, come to this holy temple.
 
Naraku
 
Kagome's eyes widen as realization stuck her. “Yusuke's walking in to a trap…” She didn't give Keiko time to digest the information as she grabbed her by the hand and led her from the apartment, the note forgotten as it turned to dust in her hand.
 
“Kagome, we're we going? And what do mean that Yusuke's walking in to a trap?” Keiko tried to pull her hand out of Kagome's grip, only to find that her grip was like iron.
 
“We're heading to my shrine to pick up my weapons.” Ignoring the other question, Kagome hailed a cab. Pushing Keiko in first she followed suite, telling the drive to take them to the Higurashi Shrine on the double.
 
~*~
 
Yusuke slowly climbed the steps of his late master's temple. He could feel the energy ripple as passed through the protective barrier. Only, instead of feeling powerful as it usually did, it felt weak and hardly there, like it was disappearing.
 
Brushing the feeling off, his nose was assaulted by horrid and vial smell. Not able to place the smell he wrote it off as something to check out later. As he reached the top of the stairs, he noticed that a lot of the plant life was taking on a sickly yellow color and in some places were even taking on an awful purple color.
 
Making a degusted face, he found that smell became worst as he headed around back and that all the plant was dead or a blackened color. With each step he told on the grass, he could hear it breaking like glass and the smell that was laced in the once clean air grow stronger.
 
Surveying the area around him, Yusuke quickly noticed that the once visible stars where hazed over and the longer that he looked that them, the harder they became to see until there was a thick violet haze around him.
 
“Shit.” The word was nothing but a faint whisper as he picked up the auras of gathering demons. Bracing himself for a fight he knew was coming.
 
That's when they attacked, coming in uncountable numbers. Seeing no other choice, he charged them as well, wanting to meet them head on. But before he could actually greet them, a fit of coughs raked through his body leaving blood on his hands.
 
~*~
 
“Keiko, how much space is around the temple?” She was looking hesitantly over at the large boomerang that hung neatly on one of the walls of the weaponry room. Gently, she fingered the demon bone, recalling the time when she had received it. It was the first weapon that Sango had created from demon bone without the help and guidance of her father.
 
“It's surrounded by forest and it was formerly used as a training ground for the spiritually gifted.” Keiko wasn't exactly sure what Kagome was asking. She wasn't sure if the priestess meant clearing or the parts with trees.
 
“That's just the answer I wanted to hear.” Excitement danced in her blue eyes as Kagome lifted the heavy weapon for the wall and placing it on her back. “Then I'll take this.” She spoke half to her self. “Now, do you know how to use a bow and arrow?”
 
“Wait, you're taking that monstrosity? Can you even use that thing?” Keiko was taken back by the shear size of the weapon and she could only guess how heavy it was.
 
“With the same grace that the demon slaveries of the past had once used it. Now, can you use a bow and arrow?” Kagome's eyes danced with pride as she eyed the massive weapon over her shoulder.
 
“Um, I told a few lessons.”
 
“Good, do you prefer the long or short bow?” The priestess moved to the area where the different bows were kept. A quiver packed with arrows leaned against the bows' case.
 
“Short.”
 
Retrieving Keiko's desired bow, Kagome passed it to her with a quiver of ancient looking arrows. Kagome also grabbed a long bow and the newer set of arrows. “Those arrows are intertwined with my priestess energy, enabling them to purify any demon that they come in contact with,” Kagome explained, seeing an unsure look on the girl's face.
 
“We must hurry now.” Kagome ushered out of the room and into the outdoors. As a second thought, Kagome retrieved one of her katana's. Her favorite one was up in the live in part of the shrine, in her room, and she had no time to retrieve it.
 
Following Keiko out to the impatiently waiting cab driver, he gave both girls odd looks, but said nothing as the entered the cab. This time it was Keiko who spoke, telling the driver to take them to a nearby park.
 
They arrived at their destination within 30 minutes, and with Keiko leading, headed towards the secret pathway that would take them to the temple.
 
~*~
 
Blood dripped from Yusuke's lips as he, not only fought the demons that surrounded him, but his body as well, as it threatened to give out on him. Black spots clouded his vision as yet another fit of coughs raked through his body. Knees buckling under him, he didn't realize that the demons that surrounded him had stopped their relentless attack, seemingly waiting for his death.
 
The standstill seemed to last for an eternity, as if everyone was waiting for some unknown signal. However, when it decide to come, it came in the most un-expecting ways as a voice rang out, accompanied by giant boomerang slicing through the demon population like a warm knife on butter.
 
As the boomerang flew passed him, Yusuke gasped for breath as the air was seemingly purified back to it original state. However, as soon as boomerang started on its return trip, the air began to thicken once more with toxins.
 
Lifting his head wearily to survey the area around him, and to find the source of the in which the boomerang had come from. What he saw, he didn't know whether to be confused about it, anger or what, but his half-sister stood about 30 feet away, the boomerang lending against her back. A few feet off, he quickly noticed, Keiko.
 
Noticing that most of the demons had lost interest in him, Yusuke tried to stand, hoping to warn the two girls away. But fate would not have it. Weak from the poison in his system, he continually fell back down to earth with each attempt to stand, not being able too much lets, Yusuke watched as demons charged his sister and girlfriend.
 
Kagome held several violet beads in her palm. Concentrating her energy into the beads, Kagome watched with mild interest, yet all the same with intensity. Timing her self, Kagome throw the beads into the air as the demons came within striking distance. “Beads of Protection!” Kagome watched as the now pink hued beads darted through the horde of demons, destroying all that were unfortunate to be in the items way.
 
Keiko looked on with a gruesome fascination as the demons screamed in pain as the beads cut through their ranks, heading for Yusuke. Kagome had told her before they had entered the clearing that there was a possibility that Yusuke would be dead or even seriously injured. The priestess had also commanded that she stay behind her, as well as to not call out to or try to make her way towards Yusuke. But as she soft cinnamon eyes took in his form, her urges to go to him increased ten folds.
 
Yusuke watched, shocked at the way his sister's attack had worked, but he didn't quite understand it. Instead of the beads seeking out the demons, it shot straight by them.
 
`How the hell does she except to win if her attacks aren't aimed at the demons!' It was then that he noticed that the round beads were making their way towards him. Watching them with interest, flowed the floating objects as two rows of beads be in circled him. As soon as the two circles were completed, Yusuke instantly noticed that the air near him became lighter, fresher.
 
Reverting his attention to the action going on outside his little fresh air bubble, he mentally told himself to question Kagome about her abilities.
 
Kagome caught the Hiraikostu once again, sliding back with the force it exerted. Though she had mastered it only a year ago, she still found it exhausting to use for long durations. Deciding that now would be a good time change weapons, she hoisted the on to her back, quickly slipping the caring strap around her shoulder. Favoring her bow, she caught a glimpse of a pale pink light at the corner her vision.
 
Happy that Keiko's arrows were still holding their charge, she drew back the bowstring until it was taut, transferring some her energy into the arrows, she released the two arrows that she held. The bright, pure pink light that was carried by the arrows brought a reassuring smile to her lips. Even as the several of the demons were purified instantly and several more were severally injured, Kagome couldn't help the sad smile that graced her features.
 
If she could trust anything to be the same, it was her priestess energy. `Not true.' A frown suddenly married her lips as that thought crossed her mind. `A soulbeast is not something that my energy creates every day, now is it!' Frustrated at that thought, she release yet another arrow. This one was strongest out of any of the others that she had released; its power was heavy enough to slow it down.
 
Though, what few demons remained were able to move out of the direct path of the arrow, the wave of energy that pulsed off it was enough to destroy the demons where they stood.
 
“We did it… or you did it.” Keiko had moved so that she was standing next to Kagome, demeaning it safe enough now. “Do you think it's safe enough for me to go over to Yusuke now?” Urgency filled both her voice and eyes as she began to inch her way in Yusuke direction.
 
“It wasn't just me who did this, Keiko.” Kagome nodded her head as she spoke, telling Keiko that it was safe for her to venture forward. Watching as Keiko rushed over to Yusuke and wrapped her arms around him, her smile abruptly fell.
 
A tingling sensation that she had long since recognized as the Jewels Shards presence came to her strong and so suddenly it nearly knocked her from her feet. The feeling was of the jewel shards but there was something different about them, it felt like something or someone was dampen, yet at the same time enhancing them all at once.
 
Drawing her blade, Kagome slipped into a defensive position as her as began to search the surrounding area in hopes of catching the glow of shards that only her eyes could see.
 
“Kagome, what's wrong?” Yusuke questioned, taking note of the priestess' stance. Becoming weary, he to tried to stand and greet whatever danger was out there, but he collapsed, not fully recovered yet.
 
“Just stay there with Keiko.” That was the only thing that she was able to say before the attack came, swift and powerful enough to cause Kagome's knees to buckle out from beneath her.
 
Glad that she had Hiraikustu on her back, she quickly rose to her feet and ignoring that fact that now her arrows and bow were split in two. Finally coming complete to her feet, she stared in front of her where the fire apparition stood. His lifeless red eyes caused Kagome to shiver as they stared into nothingness.
 
Watching closely for any sign that he was going to launch an assault, Kagome noticed something about his eyes. They were flickering from soulless to life, a sign that he was fighting Naraku's control. However, what concentration Hiei had slipped from his grasp a voice cut through the air.
 
“What the hell Hiei! Why the hell are you attack my sister!” Yusuke shouted. He now stood on both his feet, though he leaned against Keiko for support. He was about to say more when Hiei turned his way, giving him a view of his blacken Jagan.
 
“What the…”
 
Hiei charged, bring the katana that had been lazily hung in his hand up to strike. However, instead of the steel coming in contact with flesh, it reflected off the barrier. Striking out again, one of the beads began to crack.
 
Watching as her barrier began to falter under the constant assaults, Kagome rushed forward, intending upon bring Hiei's attention away from the others. “Your fight is with me! Leave them out of this!” Swing her sward at his bareback, she was at all surprised that he disappeared, however the small droplets of blood on her blade did. She had felt his speed when he had attacked her from behind, so it caught her off guard that it had been that easy to draw his blood.
 
Stepping away from the barrier, Kagome turned so that she was facing her opponent. Keeping her eyes solely him, she spoke, her voice holding understanding.
 
“You truly do not wish to do us harm, Hiei. Naraku control you with Shikon Shards, however, I for some unknown reason I cannot pinpoint their exact location on your body. And for that reason alone, I cannot help you.” Kagome slowly edged closer to demon in front of her. Knowing that her coaxing would lonely to do much for him, she kept a cautious eye on him as she searched his body for whereabouts of the shards.
 
Hiei's body trembled as his locked away conscience listened to the woman's words. She had been right when she had spoken about not wanting to harm them, about being controlled. His conscience, for one reason or another, swath out her help not truly caring at this point what the cost would be. The knowledge that he would be free from Naraku's control was enough of a reward for him.
 
His Jagan began to pulse, becoming a little violet glow as it was forced back under Hiei's control. Noticing the change in energy, Kagome felt the shards clearly now. Slowly, Kagome extending her hand towards the Jagan, hoping that she could somehow manage to retrieve the jewels without purifying their host.
 
Taking a quick glance down at the rest of his face, her eyes widened slightly. Lively crimson eyes stared intently at her, as if waiting for her to purify him. Hesitantly, she gave him a gentle smile before focusing back on her task.
 
With only mere centimeters separating them, the tainted shards pulsed. Naraku fed them more of his tainted energy and thoughts, strengthening his hold on Hiei.
 
In response, Hiei growled out in pain and stepping back before all emotions were wiped from his face and his eyes became hollow once more.
 
Kagome quickly moved forward, even as she felt the steel of Hiei's blade pierce her skin. Gently, her fingers touched the side of his cheek and everything seemed to freeze.
 
From Yusuke and Keiko's point of view, they watched as both Kagome's and Hiei's eye haze over. Seconds passed, and they watched as their friends fell to the ground, the barrier around them fell as the energy from the beads returned the Kagome.
 
Author's Note: Please review! You'll get a coooookie!
 
See ya!