InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Passage of Time ❯ Results ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Iun Yasha or Yu Yu Hakusho
 
A/N: Here is the next chapter! Enjoy and please review.
 
 
Chapter 7
 
 
Hours went by, and slowly but surely the storm began to dissipate. The hail and rain was the first to stop, followed by the intense winds which died down to a slight gentle breeze. The clouds followed next, leaving the sky a brilliant blue, and the sun shining brightly.
 
The scent of after storm was thick in the air, offering a sense of peace and tranquillity to all that survived the vicious assault.
 
Stepping outside, Sesshoumaru looked around, searching with his eyes, nose, and ears for any sign of their assailant, but found nothing. With a soft sigh which seemed to float on the very breeze, he returned inside the cave and knelt down beside the slumbering kitsune.
 
The silver dog gently, but firmly, shook his companion awake, and was greeted with bleary emerald eyes opening. “S'over?” He asked quietly as he shivered, still damp from the rain and hail, and still chilled from the arctic winds that plagued the lands not too long ago.
 
“Kurama?” The Lord of the West frowned looking over his Second's paler than normal skin, his flushed cheeks, and glossy eyes.
 
“Hmmm?” The red head asked slowly, as he uncrossed his arms and climbed shakily to his feet.
 
“You are unwell.” Sesshoumaru commented as he too moved to his feet, though his motions were far more graceful then the normal graceful fox. A pale clawed hand was tenderly placed on the red head's forehead, and his frowned increased by a fraction of an inch.
 
“You are burning up.” He stated obviously, shocked by the temperature of the man before him. Kurama needed treatment and fast, not too mention it was extremely rare for anyone of demonic heritage to fall ill, unless they suffer from something extremely serious.
 
This was not good.
 
“Are you able to travel?” He asked his ill friend almost tenderly, a voice that would shock any who knew the demon.
 
“Yes.” Kurama answered swiftly, meaning the fox still had his wit which was a good sign, for now anyways.
 
“Alright, let us go.” The silver haired dog ordered as he turned and they recommenced their trek West. Their pace was relatively slow, as Sesshoumaru didn't want Kurama to push himself too hard which would result in more problems.
 
They silently moved out into the muddy, and slightly destroyed forest, moving around fallen trees, wayward branches, and roots that had come out of the mushy ground bellow. Somehow, with a secret that seemed to be known only to demon or angel kind, they remained perfectly clean despite their muddy surroundings.
 
About halfway through the forest, they arrived at dryer, lest ravished lands, making it look as though the storm hadn't gone a great distance, even though it looked to have stretched miles over head.
 
Kurama was walking with his arms crossed over her chest, a sign that he was cold, despite the march they moved at that could keep any soul warm. The sun above only seemed to chill him more deeply, as his sickness was taking a nosedive towards the deep end. He was too stubborn to stop, after all he was a demon, and most demons seemed to carry that 'I'm invincible because I'm a demon' outlook on things.
 
The beads of sweat began to drip down his fair pale skin as they began to ascend a massive hill, though the angle wasn't drastic for the hill seemed to stretch for miles on end, inevitably leading to a massive valley, one that could house an incredible number of people or demons of all sizes rather comfortably.
 
Just beyond that valley hidden behind insanely strong and impenetrable barriers lie the castle of the West. Its seals, and protection barriers could not even be broken by the great Tessaiga, Inu Yasha's esteemed blade.
 
The barrier was so powerful as it was granted a thousand generations of seals. At the birth of ever pure blooded child of the royal Western family, the current ruler would slice his or her wrist open and add their blood to the seal adding another generation of power to the perfect barrier.
 
It was a secret tradition and the perfect method for acquiring something that can not be beaten.
Sesshoumaru's ancestors had worked diligently on the barrier, and thanks to them, it would never fall, nor could be discovered by any who was not welcomed.
 
It was his home, and soon to be home of the kitsune who was falling a few paces behind him.
The Lord of the proud barrier and of the flourishing West turned towards his companion not a second too soon as Kurama suddenly collapsed. With quick as lightning reflexes, Sesshoumaru managed to catch the falling fox before he would have gone up close and personal with the slightly damp ground.
 
A look of deep concern crossed his handsome and normally emotionless face, as he hauled the shivering form of his feverish fox in his arms. He could feel the heat radiating of him, and could almost see the hot waves exiting his body. This was bad. Really bad.
 
With all the speed in his possession, Sesshoumaru raced off in an invisible blur, moving fast enough that a sonic boom followed his trail, within less time then a heart beat he had arrived at the front of his Western style castle. ((Not cowboyish for those baka's who thought it.))
 
With grace unknown to many, he moved flowingly through the halls, and into the chamber across from his.
 
Gently he set Kurama on the bed, only to have Jaken burst seconds later into the room.
"Lord Sesshoumaru!! You've returned!" He stated the obviously making Sesshoumaru want to roll his eyes.
 
"Jaken, fetch Sakura." He ordered apathetically.
 
"Are you injured my Lord?" He inquired in a worried voice, wondering why his master would have need of the castle healer.
 
"No, but my Second has fallen gravely ill." He stated uncaringly, though beneath his icy facade he was more worried then a mother over her missing child.
 
"Right away my Lord!!" The green imp like thing declared loudly before rushing off to retrieve the woman.
 
Moments later he reappeared out of breath having seemingly ran throughout the entire castle to find Sakura, who followed him quickly inside the darkened chamber.
 
She was a bird demon, her sharp yet gently green eyes told much. Her face was lined with age, telling all that she was an ancient being, having served Sesshoumaru and Sesshoumaru's father , and grand father, dating back to his great, great, great, great grandfather. That said a lot about her age. She was relatively thin, though looked strong, and had an air of finality about her.
 
Despite her age, Sakura moved with great elegance, and always looked beautiful, with her long silver hair, and golden skin. Several centuries earlier one would have found the woman stunningly gorgeous to the point of wanting to ravish her of her heavenly charm.
 
At the moment though, the motherly figure was frowning in worry as she rushed over to the bedside and peered down at the sickly fox lying on the bed, sweating profusely.
 
Without the slightest hesitation, she began her work on the poor boy, and quickly shooed the Lord and servant from the room, making sure that the door was closed and locked once they were gone.
 
After a good hour of nervous pacing outside the door, Sesshoumaru decided to head to his study and tend to work that needed his attention. He needed to get his mind off the sickly demon, else he worry himself into a sate. With a resolved turn, he moved away from the door and went to his study, leaving a frowning Jaken by the door, piecing bits and pieces together inside his thick skull.
 
Sesshoumaru immediately set off to work as he arrived, tending to paperwork and documents, though they took far longer then they should as his sophisticated mind would constantly drift off to Kurama. His fears and worries over his newly appointed Second would continuously claw at him. Making it nearly impossible to work.
 
With a resigned sigh he began to massage his temples, a pulsing ache just beginning to pound there. He was stressed. He was beyond worried. He was....
 
'What's wrong with me?' He silently questioned himself, the image of the pale and feverish fox seemingly glued into his mind, and wouldn't disappear no matter how hard he tried.
 
A resigned sigh escaped his control, and made itself known in the real world, though went unheard as he had no witness to its existence. He stood, and stalked gracefully out of his study, abandoning his work for the time being, and made with way back to the room.
 
He arrived just in time to see Sakura slip silently out of the chamber and close the door behind herself.
 
The women regarded the Lord, who was but a child in comparison to her. "He is stable." She answered after a few moments of silence.
 
"Will he be alright?" He questioned unconcernedly, though the woman saw through the mask.
 
"I think so. All he needs is time, rest, and food. I've given him some herbs that will help him get better. Fair warning, fox's are....dangerous.... when ill." She said with a knowing smile before turning and walking away.
 
Sesshoumaru merely stood their, the word 'dangerous' ringing over and over again through his mind until she was out of sight. 'What does she mean?' He asked himself, golden eyes looking over at the closed door. His advanced hearing able to pick up the shallow breathing of the man beyond the door. ((A/N: That line made me think of the Castle beyond the Looking glass..>.< I'm officially crazy....))
 
He stood all alone there for a few moments-- Jaken had earlier left, just after his master's departure.-- before turning and opening the door. Without so much as a whisper of cloth, he entered into the room and closed the door soundlessly behind him.
 
The Lord of the West silently moved over to the bed, his eyes sad, almost as though his companion had passed. 'Kurama....' He silently spoke the red head's name as he arrived at the edge of the bed.
 
This situation was somewhat familiar. Ages ago, when he was both younger and smaller, he stood by this very bedside peering brokenly down on another figured. His mother. She had fallen ill due to a rare sort of disease, one that would wipe out even the strongest of demons. His mother hadn't stood a chance against it.
 
First it had zapped her strength and energy, then it made her smaller and more frail. The once proud and powerful demoness of the West lost all the fire that sparked her soul, all the will she had to live. She didn't last long.
 
A year after she had first fallen ill, she passed from this world. Sesshoumaru was broken afterwards. He went through what would be called a suicidal faze, though he never acted on his wishes to end his life. He was too strong, too noble and far too proud to do that.
 
He closed himself off from the world. He grew cold and distant, pushing people out of his heart in a vain effort to stop him from experiencing the pain of loss ever again.
 
Sesshoumaru hadn't always succeeded, Rin being the perfect example.
 
But Kurama, he seemed to have wormed his way inside his frigid heart, slowly chipping away the ice of the years. "Kurama....I...." He said out loud, golden eyes focussed on the sickly man.
 
"Please live..." He whispered, and as soon as the words left his heart he knew. Kurama would live, His heart, his soul screamed that fact to him, and he allowed a tender smile to grace his face. He knew. He felt. He cared. He loved. He loved Kurama. He loved him dearly.
 
With a silent vow, he promised to always protect the fox, who would more then likely always view him as a friend. He didn't care, so long as Kurama was safe and happy, he'd be content. That was all he'd asked for.
 
((A/N: That was SOOO Sappy.... >.< I didn't think I had it in me >.<; Oh well continue on with the story!!))
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
((A/N: That's the end of this chappy! Ah just kidding, I wouldn't stop here. On with it!!))
 
The storm seemed to ravish the land and structures overhead, destroying everything in a vengeful manner, while the people bellow in the cellar huddled, shivering together.
 
"Kagome....I'm sacred." Shippo admitted, his eyes squeezed shut, and tiny arms were clinging to the time travelling teen's waist. Though terrified herself, she whispered sweet sounds of reassurance to the young kit, hugging him in a sisterly fashion.
 
"It'll be okay." Inu Yasha said gently to the fox as he pat the boy on the head. Sure Inu Yasha was general gruff, but he still had his tender sides.
 
Hours passed, and finally the storm stopped. Cautiously, Inu Yasha was the first to peek out, up at the devastated land above and around. The storm was gone, and the only trace of it having ever existed was the completely devastated villages and fields that were mercilessly ripped apart with a vengeance and wrath none would wish to feel.
 
One by one, the villagers exited their haven, each more shocked and depressed then the last. They would have a lot of work to do if they wanted to restore their lands and homes before winter, not too mention salvaging the fields for food to last the cold times.
 
"Can I have ye attention?" The town's priestess called order, and quickly enough everyone was quieted down enough.
 
"Lady Keade! What are we going to do?" Some man asked, even though it was obvious that the elderly maid would have told them without even been asked the question. Some people were just.....odd....
 
"Winter is just around the corner, though thankfully they are never sever, and only just slightly chilly. If ye all work together, ye can restore the village to its former state, and gather enough food and supplies to last ye through the winter." She said, looking sternly at all through her one visible eye.
 
"Alright men! Lets get to work!" A well built male said and he lead the men away, they were going to clear out the rubble then start rebuilding all homes and supply places. "Alright, ye women, on wards to the fields, we shall salvage our food." Keade said and lead a group of determined females down the shrine steps and out into the fields.
 
That left all the younger children, the elderly, the ill and the pregnant a top the shrine area along with Inu Yasha's group. "Uh... Shouldn't we be helping?" Shippo questioned looking curiously over at the silver haired half demon, his earlier panicky self gone.
 
"No... We need to hunt down the bastard that did this, kill him, then we can come back and help." Inu Yasha said with a feral growl, though the human females nodded their heads in agreement.
 
"That's the best course of action." Sango said apathetical, the steel behind her eyes chilling to the bone.
 
"Let's go. The sooner we stop them, the better." Kagome said sadly, as she looked out on the devastated village.
 
With a growl and a flare of flames, Kilala transformed into her larger form, and both Shippo and Sango hopped onboard while Inu Yasha picked Kagome up piggy back style. With that they turned, and went off in a rapid search for the perpetrator.
 
They ran at high speeds, circling the area in a several mile radius, each keeping their eyes, ears, nose, and shard detecting ability focussed and on task. They searched for a good three hours, and came up empty handing. No lingering trace was located, seemingly all blown away with the horrid storm.
 
As the sun was lowering towards the Western horizon, they returned to the village having learnt nothing. "Who ever attacked must have had a reason to do so, which means they'll be back. If they come back we'll just have to brave and weather the damned storm, that is probably the only way to find the fiend responsible." Inu Yasha growled and sat down sulking.
 
"Don't worry, we'll catch them." Kagome offered reassuringly before motioning towards the groups working on rebuilding the fallen village. "Let's give them a hand." She added and began walking towards the fields with Shippo.
 
Sango nodded tensely and followed the still full sized Kilala and grouchy demon over to the men, they's be more useful doing construction then food gathering.
 
They joined up with a group that was making slow progress on one of the huts and soon enough the building was up and ready, and they were able to continue on making others.
 
By nightfall, the men, Inu Yasha, Sango, and Kilala, managed to restored seven and a half huts, the half meaning only four walls were standing. The women had gathered a far share of food, and all grouped together outside to eat a well dissevered meals.
 
For this night only the ill, or the elderly would sleep indoors, while the more fit of people would remain outside, though that was a sacrifice many were willing to make for the time being.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Weary crimson eyes opened, a look of slight confusion on his face. 'When did I fall asleep?" He silently questioned himself as he blinked and sat up.
 
With a slight groan, Hiei sat up and looked around the small crevice he had taken cover in. The entrance was buried under an unknown amount of snow and ice causing Hiei to sigh. He was annoyed by the prospect of being what was defined as 'being buried alive'.
 
He moved forward and placed his hand on the barrier of cold separating him and his escape route, and within seconds it began to melt, and steam rose into the air. Being a fire apparition defiantly came in handy.
 
Mere minutes later, the small spiky haired man leapt from his 'tomb' and landed swiftly atop the thick layer of snow and ice. Eyes roamed the area silently, he could find no trace of the magic wielder, and couldn't locate any living soul within his area.
 
They most likely froze, were buried or impaled, and are thus dead, making it to be Hiei the sole survivor of the wintery assault. How troublesome. ((A/N: Couldn't resist using the word Troublesome, though it is Shikamaru's line, he's from Naruto, excellent series that I do not own.))
A light wind blew innocently through the area, scattering the loose flecks of snow and ice about, making the surface loose all visible tacks that could have been there. With an incredible burst of speed, Hiei flitted forwards, and was soon out of the icy caesium, and into far warmer and snowless territory.
 
"Raoooor!!!!!!" A light female voice said as a young women suddenly appeared in front of Hiei, her shock pink eyes scary enough to do what the pathetic roar could not.
 
The demon stared at the woman in front of him, noting all physical attributes of the cat demon before him. From the long flowing deep purple hair that reach her mid back, to her white simple kimono ((A/N: Like Kana's outfit though longer and slightly more formal looking)), passing the lethal claws and fangs, noting the elvan like ears.
 
A scowl formed on the short forbidden child's face as he regarded the women, and his actions merely brought a giggle from her pale lips which seemed to stick out one her pale skin.
 
"Hey handsome, lost?" The demoness questioned as she placed her hands on her hourglass waist while leaning forward making her chest seem twice as big, which was saying something as they were huge. ((A/N: For those that didn't understand, I basically said she was a big breasted broad.))
 
Hiei inwardly twitched, though continued on as though he hadn't been interrupted and basically ignored the now pouted female, who turned and began following like a lost sheep. The fire apparition walked on well aware of his stalker, though pretended not too notice.
 
He didn't understand why his 'Get the hell away from me or I'll kill you aura' didn't work on her, nor any of his 'I bite' glares or 'Get lost before I burn you to cinder' glares or the other ones. The girl was obviously dense.
 
"So....," She began obviously bored from the silence, "What's your name?" She asked and was only met with silence. "Okay.... Uh.... Well.... My name is Rei! I'm a neko youkai!" She stated happily before engaging in a one sided conversation.
 
"I'm over a few hundred years old, my favourite colour is pink, my favourite food is miso soup. I live alone, my parents died ages ago. I have no siblings. I've lived on this continent for a good 30 years, since I'm originally from the continent I muff...." He was suddenly cut off by a hand to her mouth curtsy of an annoyed demon.
 
"You talk too much." He said, the annoyance twitches visible just above his right eye, clearly agitated.
 
"What's your name?" She asked having removed his hand.
 
"Hiei now leave." He ordered his patience running thinner.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
That's it for this chapter, sorry it short. Review please!!!!!!!!