InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Passage of Time ❯ Calm before the Storm ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha or Yu Yu Hakusho.
 
 
A/N: Here's your next chapter, and I am looking forward to getting more reviews on this story. *sweat* Read and Review!!
 
Plus a special thank you to all the kind people who reviewed. Just so you know this will be a Sesshoumaru/Kurama pairing, and don't worry, Hiei will get someone else a little ways down the line, though Sango will remain partner less, as she lost the will to love. That may be changed in later chapters, or in a possible sequel once I get to the end of this tale. Now on with the show....story.... fanfic thing!
 
Chapter 6
 
"Kurama, that document you were gifted with, what purpose does it serve?" Sesshoumaru finally questioned as they settled back in the car and pulled out of the parking lot.
 
"Well it marks the fact that I've received the proper education, that way Universities or College will accept me. Humans of this era rely solely on education and wealth, not physical strength, so the better the education the more wealth one accumulates. Though it is a long, and often enough, difficult process to achieve." The red headed kitsune explained, eyes never leaving the road or the mirrors as he concentrated on driving carefully.
 
The Lord of the West nodded in understanding, filing all the information away for later use, for he knew he'd need it in the years to pass after their return to the Feudal Era.
 
"Now, onto the sight seeing." Kurama said with a clam smile. "Would you prefer the tower, the park, or the amusement park?" Kurama questioned emerald eyes flickering over to the man ridding shotgun before returning to the road ahead as he passed a slow moving Ford Acura.
 
"Amusement park?" The Lord questioned, unsure of what purpose a place by that title served.
 
A light smile played about the red head's lips. "Explaining would be difficult, so I might as well show you. Fair warning: it will be very noisy there." Kurama said and the Lord merely nodded, his curiosity peeked. The saying that curiosity killed the cat may be true, but everyone knows curiosity makes the dog. ((A/N: Yes that was very unintelligent, but bare with me.))
 
The rest of the drive was silent, a certain dog demon was too busy observing the modern surroundings, and watching the behavior of humans and all their futuristic technology.
 
Soon enough however, Kurama brought the car to a complete stop as he parked the car in a somewhat crowded parking lot and they both exited the car. The sounds of machines and people screaming in fear, excitement or pleasure greeted their ears, as Sesshoumaru was greeted with his first ever, though slightly distant view of a massive Amusement park.
 
This day would defiantly be a fun one.
 
The two of them arrived at one of the main entrance ways, and made there way up to the ticket both were Kurama purchased their passes, and had them attached around their wrists. With that transaction complete, Kurama lead Sesshoumaru inside the Demon Lord's very first amusement park.
 
"Want to try out the rides?" The red head questioned as he turned and looked at the demon lord as watched individual regarded the nearest ride. Gold eyes turned and briefly met emerald before nodding. "Let us go on this coaster. Lucky for us most people are at school and work at this hour so it is relatively empty." Commented the kitsune avatar as he dragged the silver haired dog into the line up, which was empty.
 
They moved to the front and were greeted by a smiling little old lady who let them on the ride and made sure they were secured in the red seats before she activated the ride round. The coaster was an easy and relatively slow one, especially in comparison to the great speeds the Western Lord could move with ease at. There were no sharp turns nor any loops, just an easy going kid's ride, which was an excellent start for young child, but Sesshoumaru seemed to find it boring .
 
The moved on through the kiddy land section, ridding the occasional interesting looking rides such as the Merry-go-round, the Sea ship and the mini Fares wheel.
 
Soon enough the two males had tired of the petty rides and moved to the more adult section of the grounds, playing random mini side games on the way. In each game they had won the top prizes, as both Kurama and Sesshoumaru were both none humans meaning they were above losing in mortal's games.
 
Together they had won many great stuffed wonders, though they had no honest use for them.
 
The first ride they came upon in the adult section was the tea cups. Innocent looking, though it had the potential to be a seriously intense ride if you know how to manage it. With an out of character smirk, Kurama lead Sesshoumaru aboard and soon enough the ride began to start.
 
With all the power he had, thanks to having Yoko, Kurama began spinning the wheel at the center of their cup which caused their cup to turn faster and faster until they were no more then a rapid blur. Both soon felt dizzy, but they were smiling so brilliantly, heck even the demon lord decided to held intensify the ride by helping in the spinning.
 
When the ride finally drew to an end both of them climbed out staggering like drunks seeing at least twelve exact clones of the man who let them on the ride, who's eyes couldn't possible get any bigger. Never had a tea cup round gone so fast, it had indeed been a stunning sight to behold and he silently watched them walk off, at a loss for words.
 
Next came the giant fares wheel, one that stretched at least fourteen stories high and five leagues in length. It was a sight to behold, though even more so at night, when it would be a light show of sorts, extremely beautiful to all, never getting old as it was ever changing, never the same one twice.
 
Sesshoumaru was the only to lead they way to this ride, his curiosity at it having been aroused. The two of them climbed aboard, and slowly the slow moving ride began to turn, transporting the two of them up at a relaxed pace, allowing them the time to gaze out as they slowly ascended.
 
They rose higher and higher, the half point allowing them to see far, but it would be no comparison to the top, and Sesshoumaru was looking out unblinkingly at the modern world. Things seemed far different from this mid height view, and he was eager to see it from the top. This era was intriguing to say the very least, and he was always one to want to know everything about anything. He knew full well knowledge was a form of power so not once had he neglected his studies in his youth.
 
At the top, the ride stopped. It was a custom while ridding on such a ride to stop at the summit, and be able to gaze out at the world. The sight caused the usually apathetic Lord's eyes to widen, though only slightly. It truly was a sight to behold. Humans of this time would easily take such a thing for granted, though Sesshoumaru was amazed that the weak, and filthy race of humans were able to advance so far.
 
He supposed that in the past, they were all too worried for their lives and riches at the hands of demons, leaving them little times to contemplate such trivial things as why and how. Meaning they had not the time, nor courage to try to make their lives both easier and more difficult. He looked forward to watching how things would changing over the next five hundred years.
 
Sesshoumaru, dog of the West would be ready and willing. He looked forward to all events to come, though he was slightly saddened by the fact that fighting would become less and less in the years to come, all leading to this time. He would preserver, he would handle it without regret or insecurity. He would survive the changing of the world as they all knew it.
 
He would live with Kurama at his side, knowing full well the red head would help whenever needed, and for some reason it made him feel odd. He didn't quite understand the feeling, but he did realize he enjoyed Kurama's presence. A light smile graced his lips as his eyes traveled one last time over the city before the ride began to bring them down.
 
The entire ride was silent, no noise made for the entire duration, and they disembarked in silence. "How about a more intense ride?" Kurama questioned as he looked at the demon who stood at his side.
 
Sesshoumaru gazed over at him before nodding, showing his approval, his apathetic mask having already returned to him.
 
Kurama nodded and lead the way onto a ride near by, and soon enough they where strapped in a seat like thing. "By the way... This ride goes upside down." Kurama informed him just after they were locked in meaning no one could get out at that point least they wish to damage the entire ride.
 
With a blink of Sesshoumaru's eyes, the ride started moving rapidly, spinning upside down and going rapidly in each and every direction in a crazy, but thrilling ride. Of course the whole thing didn't faze the lord of the West.
 
And so their day went, enjoying ride after thrilling ride, going through haunted houses and fun houses, playing the side games and enjoying themselves to the fullest. Never before had Sesshoumaru spent a day devoted to entertainment, and relaxing, and it was a much needed break from his normal duties. Quite a nice change, though something he would never wish to be permanent.
 
With the sunset their day drew at the amusement park drew to an end, and both demonic beings had a sense of peace enveloped them in a warm embrace. Their day was a perfect day, fun, thrilling and anything else they could have gotten out of the ordeal. The day just help to draw the two of them closer, making them true friends, and to celebrate they'd have ice cream.
 
Walking back to the car, Sesshoumaru and Kurama were both silent, each contemplating their day, and their ride in the car to the ice cream parlor was likewise silent, yet still comfortable.
 
The ice cream parlor was located at the edge of the town's most beautiful park, though one that Kurama himself would secretly allow his demonic plants tend to. It was a luscious forest like place straight out of the dreamy fairytales parents told their young children.
 
Trees seemingly reached the stars above, billowing softly in the light breeze, their leaves moving in hypnotic green dances. The grass was more green then the purest emerald, short yet lively. Flowers dotted the ground everywhere, all kinds and colors painting the picture of perfection in the majestic park.
 
It was the perfect place for anyone to come and relax, well enough away from the world around, as the noise and lights of the city are blocked by the towering trees, making it seem like traveling back into the past, or so Sesshoumaru thought upon first glance.
 
Air was fresh and pure, untainted by the smogs and pollution of this era. Time for this place seemed to stand still, yet at the same time move at its own chosen pace. All in all the place was definitely breath taking.
 
After retrieving their ice cream; a strawberry cone for Kurama and a chocolate vanilla twisted one for Sesshoumaru, the two decided upon a walk in the natural wonder, the only light supplied by the stars and moon peering half concealed through the trees' branches and leaves.
 
They both walked to the heart of the park and sat down beneath a large oak tree, and slowly, they finished their treats. Stomachs full of ice-cream, cotton candy, pop, pizza, and other amusement park delicacies, seemed to lull them into a more tired state.
 
"We ought head back home now." Kurama said as he gracefully stood and stretched, Sesshoumaru following likewise.
They made it home at a relaxed pace, and basically crashed as soon as they arrived back at Kurama's home. The rest of their stay was short and uneventful, nothing of interest happened, and soon enough the Lord and his second were climbing up the shrine stairs, heading towards the well house on the Higurashi grounds.
 
As they were slightly early, they had to wait for the arrival of the fire apparition who came secondly, and likewise stood with them as they awaited the time traveling girl.
 
Kagome arrived five minutes late, out of breath from having just ran all the way up the stairs from the school. "Sorry I'm late!" She panted and bowed in apology before looking at the three males of demonic origins.
 
"It is alright." Kurama said being the polite one.
 
"M'kay. Let's go!" Kagome declared, not even bothering to question what they were all up to and if they had fun or not.
 
With the 'greetings' completed, the group moved inside the well house, Kurama's and Sesshoumaru's ancient styled kimonos ((Sesshoumaru is wearing his normal outfit, and Kurama is wearing the Second's outfit)) fit in well with the old and traditional look of the interior.
 
One by one, they leapt into the dark well, and were encased in the shimmering blue light and rapidly transported back to the feudal era.
 
The difference in the air was a welcome change, from tainted to pure, almost like being born into nature. Sweet scents of flowers, and rain, trees, and grass, littered the air with the naturally wonderful smell. The air was ringing with the calming calls of birds, the mating calls of animals, completely relaxing to one who had just spent time in a world filled with artificial noises. This was heaven.
 
"So... I suppose you guys are leaving?" Questioned Kagome who climbed out of the well last.
 
"Yes." Kurama answered for both himself and Sesshoumaru as he was unsure of what Hiei intended to do.
 
"Hnn." Was the fire apparition's response, though when translated from Hiei into normal speak meant yes.
 
"Where are you off to?" Kagome asked curiously, wondering what their plans int his era were.
 
"Traveling." Hiei answered, he didn't want to be with anyone and merely wished to travel the lands as a now free individual, a freedom he was basically deprived of once put under the probation of Koenma. He was going to relish his luck, and kill any bastard demon who dare get in his way.
 
"We are to return to my lands in the West." The demon Lord stated emotionless and Kurama merely nodded his head in agreement.
 
"Well, take care. If you need anything, just come and find us. Have fun!" Kagome said as she waved at the ground and heaved her bag higher on her shoulders, turned and walked off.
 
Hiei didn't waste a second as he turned and flitted out of view, racing off in a random direction his own story just starting, and that left two demons standing alone beside the bone eaters well.
 
Both males turned West and began the long trek at a slow and relaxed pace. They moved through the Western side of the Inu Yasha's forest and made their way to the open plain lands beyond. The sky was clear, the sun was shining brilliantly and it was relatively warm outside, and very nice with its sweet breeze ruffling their hair and clothing ever so gently.
 
As they reached the mid point of the plain lands Sesshoumaru suddenly stopped, eyes roving each way, and Kurama followed likewise.
"I smell a storm coming, an unnatural one." Sesshoumaru informed his kitsune companion, who quickly began looking the area over.
 
"I sense something too, unease in the plants..." Kurama nodded his head in agreement as they both shared a look.
 
Suddenly the sky above them turned from clear shimmering blue to dark ominous grey, black and purple, as thunder clouds swirled overhead. The gentle breeze changed into a plow wind, and thunder echoed painful loud through the air. Lightning flashed across the sky much like snakes striking unsuspecting prey.
 
"A magical storm.... What purpose does it serve?" The demon dog questioned himself.
 
"A storm, magical or not, could be deadly to even demons if caught in its grasp in either an open plain area or a well treed area. Even the water would be a dangerous place." The red head added in and Sesshoumaru nodded.
 
As a three pronged fork of brilliant blue lightning cut through the sky, rain began to fall. Slow and gentle at first, though so it became more intense, pouring down in thundering sheets, soaking all in a matter of seconds.
 
"Lets hurry." Kurama said and the two of them sprinted at break neck speed towards the edge of the plain lands and towards the darkened outline barely visible ahead which was a forest, and the border line into the Western providence.
 
Despite their extreme speed, both were soon soaked through, covered with flying specks of mud. Lightning crashed into the ground all around them, just barely missing the fleeing duo. It seemed they were the target of the malicious storm, but its caster was unknown.
 
Both broke the tree line, and were next encountered with trees suddenly sent ablaze due to being struck by lightning, though all fires were instantly out as the downpour dispelled all flames. They had to dodge falling trees, tidal waves of airborne dirt, fleeing animals and stationary trees.
 
They wove expertly through the trees even at their incredible speed, and soon enough a cave came into sight, and with the after burners turned on they dove inside the dark cave, barely out of breath.
 
"That was interesting." Kurama muttered to himself, emerald eyes peering out from the black cave to the devilish storm outside.
 
"Such magic I've never seen before." Sesshoumaru admitted. "Though their have been a few magic wielders throughout the lands, their prowess pales in comparison to this. Whoever this is had great power, though we do not know the intentions of this individual or individuals." The silver haired beauty stated as he ran his fingers through his soaking silky hair.
 
"We'll have to ride out the storm in here." Kurama stated as he watched the newly formed hail plummet the ground, their size that of modern day foot balls. "This is the movie, 'The Day After Tomorrow', all over again." He muttered to himself, remembering the scene from that movie when the ice pelted Tokyo, killing anyone who hadn't found shelter in time.
 
The green eyed fox sat down, watching the storm, studying its intensity with a calculating expression. He would store all memory of this incident away so that he could contemplate it, and pick it apart at a different time.
 
Meanwhile Sesshoumaru stood, and wrung out his hair, and clothing, quickly drying himself off, and within a matter of moments you could even tell he had just been in a severely intense storm as he looked unfazed, dry and clean.
 
He joined the kitsune on the floor and likewise stared out at the storm, gathering information by observation. "I do believe a new enemy has risen to take Naraku's fallen place...." He said after a minute of companionable silence.
 
"I think you may be correct." The fox sighed as he leaned against the wall and closed his eyes, feeling tired. "Wake me when it stops." He told Sesshoumaru as he quickly dozed off, arms crossed over his chest in an attempt to keep warm.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Kagome had returned to the village and entered into Keade's hut, where she greeting all her friends, save Miroku as he passed on prematurely due to his cursed wind tunnel.
 
"Kagome!!" A hyper active kit shouted as he glomped the teenaged girl. "You're back!!" He exclaimed happily while the two shared a hug. "Where's Hiei, Kurama, and Sesshoumaru?" He questioned innocently as Kagome set him down before dropping her pack to the floor.
 
"Well Sesshoumaru and Kurama are on their way to Sesshoumaru's lands, while Hiei has gone off to explore on his own." Kagome explained to him, though Sango, Keade, and Inu Yasha were also listening.
 
"Do you know when Hiei will be back, or if Kurama will visit us?" Shippo questioned.
 
"No idea." She answered honestly before plopping down next to Inu Yasha and Shippo crawled up on her lap pouting.
 
"We need to get the rest of the shards that are still out there." Sango said and Kagome nodded.
 
"For that we'll have to find that damned wolf." Inu Yasha grumbled, and his brooding was cut short as thunder suddenly boomed through the air.
 
"That's odd... It was completely clear out when I came here..." Kagome said to herself as they all stood and moved to the door and peered outside.
 
An intense storm, similar to the one that struck the two demons raged on the village. Though visibly in the distance a tornado could be seen.
 
"What's that? Is it Koga?" Shippo asked pointing at the deadly tornado in the distance.
 
“No... It's a tornado.... But that is impossible. This place doesn't have what is required to form a tornado...” Kagome whispered eyes wide.
 
“I smell magic!” Inu Yasha declared, golden eyes wide as he looked out.
 
The village's warning bell rang through the air, but you had to strain your ears to hear it. “Come! We must get to the shelter!” Keade said as she lead the way out, and followed the panicking villagers up the shrine steps, and into the shrine house.
 
There Lady Keade opened up the trap door to the cellar and ushered everyone down, instructing them to go down into the second cellar.
 
Meanwhile, the Inu-gumi, stood outside, making sure all the villagers were safely getting inside, they had to occasional rescue a poor person that tripped and was about to be trampled to death. The tornado whirled closer and closer, ripping buildings apart, killing livestock, pulling everything air born and launching it forcefully in every direction.
 
After an intense panicked filled time, only Kagome, Inu Yasha, Sango, Shippo and Kilala were left outside. The deadliest part of the storm moving closer and closer to their location with each passing second. A fully intact hut was thrown towards them, and they barely dodged, but managed thanks to Kilala and Inu Yasha and the group quickly raced in, bared the door.
 
They proceeded down into the first cellar and closed the door and locked it before following the last of the villagers down into the second cellar which was packed. They locked that trap door just as the groaning of wood, and the falling of the roof reached their ears.
 
The storm was assaulting the shrine, mercilessly ripping the scared place to pieces, while all the villagers silently prayed to Buddha for mercy. The sobs of women and young children were drowned out by the intensity of the tornado.
 
Each prayed they'd survive the ordeal.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Hiei moved at a speed that rendered him invisible to the naked eye. He put a large amount of distance between him and the well, and he ran, really enjoying his sense of extreme freedom.
 
His race with freedom was abruptly pulled to an end as the slightly cloudy sky turned dark and cold, and icy blankets of snow plummeted from the sky above, which caused Hiei to stop and look up. `Magic?” He silently asked himself, wondering who could have altered and bent nature to do their will.
 
Wind soon accompanied the snow and a disastrous blizzard struck the rocky caesium he was standing in. Visibility became zero ever for his demon eyes, were he mortal or demon without his lineage he would have likely frozen to death.
 
Since he was half fire half ice, he could stand extreme cold or extreme heat, and he could act as though it was just a relaxing temperature. Knowing the dangers of the storm caused him to blindly search for a shelter in the white out.
 
Following his instincts, Hiei managed to locate a small crevice in one of the rock faces, and easily slide into the small space, which wasn't very big, though it protected him from the blizzard as it took a turn for the worst.
 
The snow and harsh winds were soon joined by massive spears of ice, which fell impaling the earth and rock, barely missing the small demon who stood huddled in his black cloak observing the storm. Only a fool would leave a shelter to wonder about in Mother Nature's deadly attack, even if it was triggered by some magic wielder or wielders unknown.
 
The ice could kill anyone. Hiei sat down in his spot, deciding to wait out the blizzard where he was safe, then he'd go out and search for the person or persons responsible. He pulled off his bandana and opened his jagan eyes searching for and sign of the perpetrator, though he picked up nothing save the effects of the lingering magic.
 
He had just found himself a worthy opponent it seemed, one with power and cunning. A lethal smirk adorned his face as he placed his bandana back in its place.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
That's it for this Chapter. Sorry about the cliffy. Please Review!
Until next time, Jaa!!!