InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Bad Week ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Copyright: Inuyasha-tachi are owned by Rumiko TAKAHASHI.
The rest you can blame on me.


~ Chapter 1 ~

"KONGOUSOUHA!", yelled Inuyasha as he swung Tessaiga.

A shower of diamond spears flew outward from his sword and crashed into the shell surrounding Mouryoumaru's body. Unfortunately, like the last onslaught, the spears just bounced off violently and buried themselves into the ground close to where Miroku and Kagome stood.

"Kagome!", Miroku grabbed her arm and swung Kagome out of danger.

"Watch where you aim those things, Inuyasha!", a frightened Shippo squeaked from Kagome's shoulder.

"Inuyasha, the kongousouha isn't working anymore! We have to find a stronger attack before Mouryoumaru kills Kohaku!", pleaded Kagome as she shot another swarm of Saimyoushou away with her arrows.

~~/~~

Earlier that day; Inuyasha, Kagome, Shippo, Miroku, Sango, and Kirara had been surprised by Kohaku in the woods. The boy had lately been avoiding Sango, his big sister, and the rest of the gang for reasons unknown. Yes, he had been under the control of Naraku, but even after escaping the boy refused to join back with his sister. This time, it seemed, he was more willing to stay with his friends. The group gathered around the boy with happiness as Kohaku recount his tales of traveling with the clay miko, Kikyou. Sango then filled in Kohaku her group's journeys, and their current purpose. One thing they found the had in common after all was said: Mouryoumaru must be destroyed.

Mouryoumaru was a detachment created by Naraku to protect his heart -- his weakness -- which he had expelled from himself in order to become stronger. The heart, they suspected, was the way to defeat Naraku once and for all. For this reason, they concluded, Mouryoumaru was traveling around the country absorbing youkai who could strengthen his defenses. Most recently he absorbed an ancient tortoise demon with an impenetrable shell, thus making Mouryoumaru almost impossible to harm!

The information was unpleasant, but that was outweighed by the joy of Kohaku's appearance. The group decided to stop and make camp for the night. Hours later, all were sleeping peacefully with exception to Inuyasha and Miroku. Just before dawn the two men awoke and started having a quiet discussion about catching fish, when Inuyasha caught a faint scent of Naraku. He stood up immediately with his sword in hand and yelled out in warning to the sleepers. Miroku grabbed his staff and stood near Inuyasha. Sango jumped up, grabbing her Hiraikotsu and tossing the equally prepared Kohaku his Kusarigama. Kirara transformed and joined the two siblings. Kagome sat up confused for a second, then seeing her friends in battle stance, she ran over to her grab her bow and arrows. Shippo stretched up sleepily and said, "What's going on?".

Mouryoumaru crashed through the trees into the small camp, causing a shriek from Shippo. The kitsune bounded desperately over to Kagome's side.

It now seemed that the demon had found them instead, which was a bit unsettling for the group who was sure he would avoid them at all costs.

"Kaze no KIZU!", Inuyasha charged at the enemy.

The energy from his sword's attack lit up the camp, and the humans all adjusted their positions to gain the advantage against their foe. "Hiraikotsu!", called out Sango as she spun her boomerang to combine with Inuyasha's attack. Both missed their mark, since the demon had already dodged out of the way.

Turning an unsettling eye towards the small human boy in the group, Mouryoumaru smiled, "Ah, there it is! Naughty boy, you have run off with something of Naraku's. He wants it back, but I've decided I want it for myself instead!".

Mouryoumaru quickly reached out his pale colored tentacle to grab Kohaku and pull him back from the group's safety. He desired the Shikon no Tama fragment that he had learned was inside Kohaku. The boy didn't go easily though, chopping his captor with his sharp Kusarigama until he was released. Once he hit the ground, the young taijiya tried to run, but tripped as one of the demon's other slithering arms twisted it's way around Kohaku's ankle and up his leg; pulling him quickly to it's eager commander.

As the sun began to rise, Sango tossed her Hiraikotsu at Mouryoumaru again to try and free her brother. A bony spike shot out of Mouryoumaru's massive shell and countered the weapon violently, slamming it back into Sango. Crushed to the ground, Sango cried out a bit as her ribs and right arm broke. Still, she struggled to stand. "SANGO!", Miroku cried as Kagome ran to her aid.

Inuyasha jumped up high and brought his sword down hard on the demon spawn, trying to severe the arms holding Kohaku. Tessaiga sliced through the flesh over and over, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Mouryoumaru just kept regenerating!

"Kagome! Use one of your arrows to purify the demon arms, and maybe they will release Kohaku!", suggested Shippo.

"Right!", Kagome replied, and strung an arrow into her bow.

It released with a whistle and stuck its target deftly. The evil flesh of Mouryoumaru began to melt at the contact point of the purification, affording Kohaku enough advantage to escape.

"Get back here you filthy brat!", the demon growled as it tried to reach for him again.

Miroku held up his hand, "I will now use my kazaana to swallow this monster! Everyone stand back!".

The houshi removed the rosary from around his right hand, opening his air void to suck up the demon.

"Miroku, watch out! There are Saimyoushou!", alerted Kagome, pointing to the now brighter sky.

Indeed the familiar buzzing of Naraku's wasps sped toward the houshi, forcing him to reseal his air void for fear of their poison.

The window of opportunity closed, Kohaku was grabbed back yet again. The swarming arms tightened ruthlessly around him this time, lifting him high in the air, and slamming him down to the ground over and over until he went limp. The kusarigama fell from the hands of the broken boy, and Mouryoumaru laughed.

"KOHAKU!", screamed Sango as she succumbed to her injuries in a faint.

~~/~~

They were running out of time and Inuyasha knew that Kohaku couldn't last much longer. Sango was now unconscious, Miroku's Kazanaa was useless with Naraku's Saimyoushou buzzing around and neither Kagome nor Shippo were strong enough to effect an attack that would do any fatal damage against the evil demon.

"Dammit!", growled Inuyasha. He knew the kongousouha wouldn't work against Mouryoumaru alone but he was hesitant to use this attack in combination with his Tessaiga's most powerful transformation: Ryuurin no Tessaiga. This form enabled Inuyasha's sword to absorb the youki of his demon enemies and then use it against them. Being hanyou, Inuyasha is not strong enough to handle as much youki as the Tessaiga can absorb. The first time Inuyasha used this tactic his sword's stored youki backfired, nearly killing him. Tessaiga tried to warn Inuyasha of the danger by becoming hot to the touch, but he was too stubborn and ignored it.

Inuyasha looked over to the others. He saw the concern on their faces, and the hope in their eyes that he would rescue the young boy from Mouryoumaru.

Inuyasha looked back to Mouryoumaru and fixed his face with determination. He wasn't going to let Naraku destroy another life with his detachments.

He had made up his mind.

Tessaiga responded.

Inuyasha felt the pulse beat of his sword's transformation and he raised it high over his head. Dragon scales formed over the face of Tessaiga.

Miroku and Kagome both gasped. Shippo gave a look of horror and Kirara growled softly, sensing the danger.

"Inuyasha! What are you doing? You aren't strong enough for the Ryuurin no Tessaiga!", called Shippo.

"There must be another way", added Miroku.

"Feh", spat Inuyasha, "I'm not a weakling like you Shippo, I can handle my own sword!"

Shippo was obviously hurt, but his concern for this friend outweighed his own feelings.

"Be careful, Inuyasha!", the small kitsune said with as much courage as he could muster.

~~/~~

Regaining consciousness; Sango looked towards Inuyasha and felt her heart sink with fear at the site of his changed sword. Sango was weary and her spirit was fading from the stress of this fight. Her arm and ribs were wrapped by Kagome, and she was in intense pain. Her younger brother was pale, though no fatal wounds were visible. Sango was grateful for the Shikon shard in Kohaku's neck. He would not die as long as the shard was not removed. Sango trusted that her friends would not allow Mouryoumaru to kill Kohaku this way.

Sango heard Inuyasha's battle cry and held her breath.

~~/~~

"I will not let some stupid Naraku dropping get away with hurting my friends. He has to pay for what he has done and I WILL BE THE ONE THAT MAKES HIM!".

Inuyasha charged the demon once again and slammed his sword down onto it's hard body. Swirls of youki poured into Tessaiga from Mouryoumaru. The detachment flung a tentacle at Inuyasha, who jumped back to avoid the collision.

Inuyasha had what he needed now.

"Kagome! Use another arrow! Miroku, get ready to grab Kohaku!"

Both humans nodded. Kagome took aim and sent another purifying arrow to loosen Kohaku's prison. As the flesh surrounding the boy rotted, Miroku flew in skillfully on Kirara's back and scooped the young boy away.

Now was his time.

Ignoring the growing heat in Tessaiga's handle, Inuyasha lifted his sword high above his head and brought it crashing down again.

"KON-GOU-SOUHAAAA!"

A massive typhoon of youki, fortified with giant diamond spears, ripped through the air on a direct path for Naraku's detachment.

Mouryoumaru's face instantly switched to shock and then horror as the spears pierced effortlessly past into his shell and continued through to his softer body. He screamed in pain as his own youki burned his stolen flesh. Writhing and thrashing his body began to split into pieces. The Saimyoushou that had been hovering around him, were obliterated.

"One more time, just one more swing and I've got him", thought Inuyasha, as he raised Tessaiga for a final attack.

His hands were really starting to hurt him now. The hilt of Tessaiga was incredibly hot and this hanyou was barely able to stand the searing heat despite his strong will and stubborn mind.

Inuyasha screamed out one more time and brought his sword around his head as he flung the remaining youki towards the spawn with all his might.

The blast ripped the remains of Mouryoumaru apart into a massive spray of demon guts and blood. Kagome screamed in disgust as it boiled towards her. Miroku promptly held up his now available kazaana with a big smile to suck up all the bits, protecting everyone who stood behind him from being soiled. The demon was dead!

Inuyasha smirked at his accomplishment, not minding that he was now covered in a sticky, smelly slime. He had defeated one of their toughest foes, and he didn't have any backlash of youkai power. He sheathed Tessaiga, slightly bothered by the realization that a lot of its heat hadn't dissipated.

"Told you I could do it!", Inuyasha chided at Shippo.

"Yeah, yeah", Shippo said back with a marked level of sarcasm.

Kirara carried Sango and Kohaku back to rejoin Inuyasha and Miroku as Kagome and Shippo followed.

~~/~~

Sango breathed a sigh of relief. She was so please to have a victory, finally! Kirara purred in positive response to Sango's happiness. In addition, Kohaku was beginning to look healthier and had even opened his eyes already.

"Ane-ue", he softly said, as Sango watched him. She was surprised at the speed of his recovery, but silently thanked the jewel that had repaired him yet again.

~~/~~

A girlish scream broke forth and all eyes turned to Kagome who was wringing her hands and speeding away from a mischievous Inuyasha who followed behind her brisk walk with open arms.

"Awww c'mon, Kagome! Don't you want a victory hug?", he teased.

Despite their injuries, Kohaku and Sango both laughed when they saw the sticky, demon-blood covered Inuyasha chasing Kagome around trying to hug her.

"Eeeeeeek! Get away from me you creepy! You are covered in demon guts! SOOO groooooossss!", Kagome screeched in ever higher pitches.

Miroku also laughed at this site and taking advantage of Sango's distraction, his hand slid over her bottom and squeezed.

*SLAP* "I can't believe you would take advantage of me while I'm hurt, Houshi!"

"Sooo worth it", Miroku thought as he rubbed his reddened face. A sheepish smile crept over his lips as Sango scowled at him. "She's so beautiful when she's mad."

Taking her uninjured hand into both of his, Miroku said, "I would never take advantage of you Sango, unless you wanted me to."

Sango wanted to slap the houshi again, but she found herself trapped with her right arm bound in a sling now and her left arm held by the offending lecher. So she did what any woman would do. She raised up her knee and kicked him in the groin.

"OK, I'll be over here if anyone needs me," the houshi sputtered -- in a pitch much higher than his normal tenor -- as he rolled on the ground with his hands between his legs.

The other males cringed at the sight and the women laughed.

~~/~~


A few minutes later, the group was being harassed by an impatient Inuyasha to get up and go to the village. He was the only one who had managed to get dirty during the battle, and despite his usual disinterest in bathing, he was eager to wash the demon muck from his skin and hair.

"The smell was starting to bother me anyway", teased Kagome.

Inuyasha growled at her. He was the one with the sensitive sense of smell, and the stench was making him feel really sick. In addition, his hands were blistered and cracked from his last attack. Although he would never let anyone in the group know; he was in a lot of pain. The desire to dip his hands into the cold river waters near their destination was making him very antsy to get going. He was practically bouncing from leg to leg by the time the rest of his band had gathered up their things to go.

Miroku looked back at the mound of bloody flesh and bones that had once been Mouryoumaru. He raised his hands to a prayer pose over the offensive pile and silently vowed to defeat Naraku.

"We will get him. Naraku has no where to hide now that his heart has been destroyed".

~~/~~

The band walked about fifty yards away from the battle site, when Kohaku suddenly perked up and proclaimed, "OH! I almost for got my weapon!"

Before anyone could protest, the young boy ran back towards the disgusting pile of demon parts. He spotted the Kusarigama resting part way inside a gooey, black mass of flesh. Knee deep in guts, Kohaku reached his right hand into the mass to claim his weapon. He looked up at his friends and sister waving his hand with the sickle and smiled to them, but the boy didn't see the horror filled faces of the people watching him as the mass swallowed him whole with one quivering snap.

"KOHAKU!", screamed Sango.

Sango limped awkwardly towards the place her brother had been standing; unarmed and gasping in pain. Miroku and a transformed Kirara ran after her, fearing for her safety as well as that of Kohaku. Inuyasha instinctively grabbed the hilt of Tessaiga and flinched at the fresh pain his hand encountered from the still burning hot sword.

"FUCK!", he growled out wringing his hand.

"STAY HERE!", he yelled at Kagome, running after the humans.

Kagome wanted to help Kohaku, but she could tell Inuyasha meant business. She and Shippo grabbed up the camp supplies and ran to cover behind a giant boulder.

~~/~~

Miroku out ran Sango easily and grabbed her around the waist, forcefully placing her on Kirara's back.

"Take her to safety, Kirara!", he commanded, and Kirara lifted up to the sky with a protesting Sango.

Miroku flung ofuda around the part of the Mouryoumaru that had swallowed Kohaku and focused his holy power hoping to exorcise the demon and free Kohaku. Bursts of blue light played around the shapeless demon body, burning it, causing it massive damage. He then raised up his holy staff and stabbed its base into the now bubbling flesh. Miroku continued his holy attack with a chant to enhance it's effects.

Watching Miroku perform the exorcism, Inuyasha had been impressed by the houshi's holy power. He was just as surprised when a defensive spear of bone from the squirming demon flesh thrust out and stabbed Miroku in the torso; interrupting his prayer with a grunt.

Pain spread across the young man's face, causing him to appear much older for a moment. Blood burbled from his lips as he fell further on the pillar of corrupted flesh that had impaled him.

Sango screamed from the sky above Miroku, the same look of pain the houshi had shown played across her face, in emotion rather than injury. Kirara also responded to Miroku's situation with a terrible howl and flew back to the ground.

Inuyasha yanked the human free of the bone, checking to see if he was still alive. The breathing was there, but it was very choppy, and the houshi was deathly pale from the lost blood that had gushed from the entry site just above his stomach. Inuyasha leapt away with Miroku in his arms and lowered him carefully back to ground that was clear of demon parts.

Sango landed with Kirara and ran to the dying man.

"MIROKU!" she cried as she flung her self over his form.

A weak voice trembled out from Miroku's blood filled lungs, "You ... s-said ... my name".

She hiccuped a sob at his words. She had always called him Houshi, even from the first day they met. Sango met the Miroku's eyes. His dull from pain and a nearing death. Hers wracked with anguish, guilt and full of tears.

"Why did you do this? How could you do this to ME?", she cried, out of her mind with fear and the thought of Miroku's impending death.

"I'm ... sorry ...", he gasped.

Sango broke down in tears placing her hands over the gaping wound that pumped blood out in rhythm with his ever slowing heart.

"Please don't die", Sango whispered.

~~/~~

... to be continued!