InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Blind Heart ❯ The Art of War ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 6: The Art of War
 
Maru POV
 
The little Miko had courage, which was evident by her demeanor. I would need her to provide a distraction for the dark priestess so that I could kill her. There could be no hesitation. With this Dark Priestess there would be no second chances. The battle would be won by skill and commitment. My Miko? What she lacked in skill, let's just say she made up for in enthusiasm and commitment. This was on the checklist of things to do. No mate of mine would be helpless or defenseless. It just wasn't done in demon society. Fight was might, and the weak did not last long. Survival of the fittest has been around since the creation of time itself. I know it doesn't sound good but I didn't create the society, I just ruled part of it. Nobody followed a weak Lord & Lady.
 
Gazing at her I could see now for the first time why the hanyou won battles that even full-blooded youkai's might have lost. Her belief was absolute. She was so childishly full of optimism and dreams, too young to reason out that hope and the battle lost even before it started. This Miko was the flower that bloomed in the face of adversity. Like a lotus that bloomed in the mud, struggle brought out her beauty. To her the world could be a better place and she would stop at nothing to make that vision her reality. Standing firm against situations that would give most humans nightmares, Kagome was the beacon of light. In a time when some would give up their honor, she would do her duty. Not just from a sense of responsibility, but also from the love she felt for all.
 
Moving towards the road after our little strategy session we came across a little girl. So the first move has been made, trying to make the priestess look like Rin. Did Naraku or the priestess think that it would stay my hand or gain them an advantage? I could have guessed that he would try it. After all knowing your enemy means looking at past allies. Kanna, Hakedoshi and now Keiko. Pawns that he sacrificed for his greed. Did he think that I have survived over two hundred years without knowing that sacrifices in war will be made? I have killed for less offense to my ward and would not hesitate to kill again! Any deadly mistakes could always be corrected with the Tessaiga. Surely the idiot Naraku knew the adage of keeping your allies close, but your enemies even closer. To launch a successful campaign to kill an Inu-Youkai one must learn their strengths and weakness. Looking at the trap ahead showed clearly that Naraku had yet to learn this important lesson in warfare.
 
“Hello, my name is Keiko. Why have you sought out my presence?” All this was stated in a melodic voice as she bowed deeply. “Lord Sesshoumaru and the Miko Kagome; to what purpose was there in tracing my little spell? I was only practicing; I'll call it back if you like”. Granted the Miko with me was young compared to Youkai years, but did the dark miko think that we were naïve? “Surely there was no expectation that this Sesshoumaru would be taken in by this mediocre illusion”. Hmm. Time to let the wench know we were serious in our intent to annihilate her. “Liar, you would no more banish that spell than I would join Naraku. What game are you playing? Are you so afraid of this Sesshoumaru that you would cower behind the form of a child, and choose a form so near to my ward? “
 
“Kagome, you mustn't take your eyes off of her. She has not fully revealed her power”. She looked at me with little to no recognition as to what I just stated. I realized that she was overwhelmed with the sensation of powers so polar opposite of each other in such close proximity. There was nothing I could do to help alleviate the symptoms. This was something only Kagome could do. You could see her making a visible effort to concentrate on the here and now. She shuddered as if shaking the effects off. I approved. A battle would not be won without awareness.
 
When the priestess began to cast a second illusion I watched with disinterest. Regardless of what form she took she would soon be dead by my hand. I thought she might try another form that was familiar to us to test the waters as it were. Long raven hair started to flow, crystal greens eyes glowing as the illusion wavered. Now this Sesshoumaru is not quick to anger, yet at that moment I could have snapped her neck and would have enjoyed seeing my poison dissolve her one drop at a time. It was bad enough that most of the imbeciles thought that she looked like a replica of the dead Miko. Yes, I will admit that there were some commonalities with their features. But Kagome was Kagome, no other could compare. Her purity, love and zest for life was evident in everything she did. If eyes are truly the windows to the soul then the Kami's have blessed her with a soul of legendary selflessness. The dead Miko harbored hatred and resentment. Truly to look at them both it amazed me that anyone could confuse the two.
 
“Hey wench! Are you too ugly to take your true form? I promise we won't laugh or throw up if that's what you're afraid of”. I snorted to cover what could have been a full-blown laugh. My Miko absolutely hated the word wench and yet she had just called her adversary it. Who knew that she was capable of talking trash? She glanced at me puzzlement showing in her eyes. I don't think that she could wrap her head around the fact that even I possess a sense of humor! Unfortunately, right before a battle was not the time to make such explanations.
 
Kagome was evidently new at trash talking. She failed to take into account that when you piss off your opposition that they will retaliate, and it won't always be verbally. As to her opponent, well she made the mistake of letting someone taunt you into making a rash move. Battles have been lost through stupid errors. Keiko threw an energy bolt at Kagome and she caught it effortlessly. Four years of studying my little Miko and I knew her every battle move and response. This was not amongst the normal ones. In addition she showed no strain. Previous fights had not exhibited this type of power or control.
Hard to say who was more shocked her or me.
 
And then she made the mistake that every rookie makes. She asked for her to bring it. So the dark miko brought it. Brought it with an evil glee. Keiko was one with her power and reveled in causing pain. After all was she not allied with Naraku? Power struggled against power for dominance in this ultimate battle. Good the Dark Miko was not unaffected. You could see the surprise and wonder in her face. She seemed to be under strain resisting and trying to maintain her current level. How long could they both last?
 
Kagome seemed to be having some sort of internal conversation. I could sense surprise, confusion, hope and finally grief from her. So many emotions right on top of each other, how did she cope? Her grief was staggering to me. The sense of loss I got from her was the mourning that one does for a loved one. There had been no loss in this battle. Even when she realized that the hanyou had abandoned her for the dead Miko she had not lamented as severely as the here and now. The light in her eyes dimmed. I realized that her light was one of the reasons I was so intensely attracted to Kagome. In the place of that light came determination.
 
A choice had been made. You could see the modification of her deportment. Before I could ponder what choices she had made and what all her feelings meant, I felt a change in her. But what had changed in such a short amount of time? The floodgates opened wide! Suddenly I knew. Before Kagome's power was gentle and as powerful as a strong gale. This was a storm ripe with passion and pure undulated power. This was no gale; this was a wind that destroyed all in its path. Before her power had felt like the caress of a million butterflies, and then like an angry swarm of locust. Now it stung with all the pain of wasp. This Sesshoumaru was uncomfortable but I would survive it.
 
As soon as the Miko's started with their struggle, ten youkai's attacked. Pathetic! Did they think that this was a surprise attack? With only ten youkai's, it was an insult of colossal proportions and a mistake. My daily warm-up exercise consisted of 50 youkai soldiers all trained by me. Did Naraku seriously think ten would do the job? Or was this merely an information expedition with the Dark Miko as bait? Nonetheless none of these youkai's would be returning to their master. I used Tokijin to kill some and when that got boring I switched to my claw. One handed and yet the most formidable fighter in all of Japan. Dog Demons were not an easy foe; you had to put us down and put us down hard. If not you had no chance of surviving. Few had battled an Inu and lived to tell the tale. If by the grace of Kami you survived you hadn't walked away whole.
 
After I defeated the ten youkai's I stood back to observe the two Miko's. Grumbling all the while that there wasn't enough of a challenge to make an abundant workout. Looks like I needed to go home to get a superior challenge. Some would ask why I did not interfere with their battle. Simple. I needed to see what new power level Kagome was capable of hitting. Was this new power permanent or just a fluke? Could she defeat the other miko on her own? The two powers converged, snapping at each other vying for dominance. And then Kagome pushed Keiko's power back. She fired sacred arrows at Keiko and distracted her. Keiko was too busy ducking to pay attention to me. Nothing human was capable of moving with such speeds. She was youkai or mated to a youkai. Kagome's power built to a painful crescendo and she threw her head back and screamed “Now” as her power propelled towards Keiko. The time to end this was near. As she staggered I appeared behind Keiko and plunged my hand thru her chest with her heart in my hand. I let my poison flow to destroy it. Youkai's were tough breeds but even we could not survive the loss of our heart or head.
 
“Impossible, you weren't suppose to have that much power. Your defeat was guaranteed. No matter Naraku will avenge me”. The light faded from her eye. Withdrawing my hand from her chest I proceeded to let my poison dissolve her remains. Kagome's eyes rolled back and I could see her knees buckling. Yep she was going down for the count. I caught her in my arm. Big mistake! Another wave of energy was released the moment I touched her. This time she screamed the pain of my youkino and her energy fighting must have been excruciating to her. Even this Sesshoumaru was in considerable discomfort. Another youkai would have been purified. We fell to the floor. Her body bounced, and before the world faded to black I caught my body with both hands. Sunrise had arrived to greet the day. Who would protect us both, as we lay unconscious?
 
Wait a minute! Hands, as in plural?
 
Read & Review!
Gomen Ne! I meant to post last night but Sesshoumaru wasn't cooperating!
 
Teaser - Chapter 7
 
I woke to see Naraku's pet insects buzzing around. Why hadn't they stung us? Then I noticed two things. 1) Sesshoumaru was sitting there examining his new arm. 2) There was barrier around us.
 
So many questions, let's hope Lord of the Frost had some answers.