InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Bond of Thorns ❯ Plights and Plans ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

oooooooooo
 
A BOND OF THORNS
 
5. Plights and Plans
 
oooooooooo
 
Inuyasha impatiently paced back and forth in the back of the awarding hall. He was in the King's palace, waiting to be awarded for his slaughter of that bastard, Higurashi, glaring at all the people who came within a yard of him.
 
He was anxious, to say the least. Of course, the fact that this was gonna be his first major award, and that he had to leave Tetsusaiga in the hands of his less than reliable guards had absolutely nothing to do with that...
 
He stared out the nearest window, not sparing a half glace at the maid who came asking if he wanted something to drink before the ceremony. He was also disturbed about the conversation he had with Miroku as they were preparing for the awarding.
 
- Flashback -
 
"So she's the other half of the key?" Miroku asked quietly, sitting on the edge of Inuyasha's bed as the hanyou hurriedly dressed. Upon his nod, he asked, "Now what? That's not good, is it? I mean, it was trouble enough that we had you, the first half of the key..."
 
"And now I had to go and bring the other half home," Inuyasha groaned, clutching his pounding head in his hands. "Sesshoumaru took the news too well... I'd bet he's plotting on the best way to kill me without getting blood splattered all over his clothes."
 
"I doubt he would dishonor your father - he won't do that," Miroku said, patting his friend's back with an amicable grin. "But you do have to watch the girl. And watch OUT for her, too. You never know what the princess is capable of. But you know... this explains your uncharacteristic attraction to her..."
 
"God dammit, Miroku! I'm not attracted to her!" Inuyasha yelled, pulling on the over coat that Miroku had lain out for him.
 
"Of course, she is incredibly attractive," Miroku continued, oblivious to his friend's growing rage. "And that ass... ooh, that ass! I could never forget that ass!"
 
"Shut the fuck up!" the hanyou yelled, giving in to the unbelievable urge to punch the monk. "We are not here to talk about Kagome's delectable ass!"
 
"Ah, so you admit that she has a delectable ass!" Miroku said, grinning in triumph while rubbing his sore jaw. "I knew it!"
 
"Shut up," Inuyasha said with less heat than before, his face growing redder every second. "Back to the subject. What will I do with her? The Shikon no Tama bears an ancient power that is not to be unleashed. I'm sure at least Naraku has sensed her presence..."
 
Miroku looked up sharply at the mention of that name, unconsciously clenching his right hand. "If that bastard has sensed her, it would be trouble. Let us hope he hasn't. Yet. Not until we've figured out what to do with the both of you."
 
- End Flashback -
 
"Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!" Inuyasha muttered, clenching his fists in agitation. "I don't like crowds..." he whispered to himself angrily, imagining the hundreds of people who would be there to see him awarded, to see him together with his first ever concubine.
 
'Here I go again,' he thought as his mind drifted back to Kagome. He would never admit it, but he had felt a twinge of uncharacteristic attraction towards her since he first set his eyes upon her.
 
Yes, since the first time, when she stood before him, slightly burnt and bloody, wearing nothing but a thin nightdress and the fiercest, most enraged and agonized scowl on her face. Her glorious gray/blue eyes glaring holes into his.
 
Since the first time he smelled her, though her lovely scent had been slightly altered by the strong scent of death and smoke in the crumbling Calderian palace. Her scent...
 
Just the mere thought of her scent drove his senses haywire. She smelled of the fresh mist on the first day of spring... she smelled of jasmine and cherry blossoms on a clear day... she smelled beautiful... nearly as beautiful as how she looked... maybe even more...
 
And damn, she looked good... he could see how shapely she was even through the loose garments that she had worn. If his eyes were not deceiving him, she had perfectly proportionate breasts and a killer ass, he'd agree with Miroku on that. And now, he just couldn't help but wonder just how she would look in that dress that he got her...
 
"Inuyasha."
 
The hanyou nearly jumped as he heard his name, and he sharply turned to find Sesshoumaru standing near the doorway to the hall. "What?"
 
"I just saw your wench. She's wearing your mother's dress," Sesshoumaru said simply.
 
"Duh. I know. I took it out of its hamper, you know."
 
"Why?"
 
"Coz she ain't got nothing to wear. We don't have enough time to have new ones sewn for her, and I figured she was the same size as okaasan. Sango just had to pin loose parts up. Besides, do you want me to take her to the awarding dressed in our house garbs?" Inuyasha snapped back, cringing at the thought of having Kagome out before all those people in a flimsy garment.
 
"I'm sure Miroku would have loved that. Anyway, I commend you on your choice of clothing," Sesshoumaru replied, much to Inuyasha's confusion.
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"You'll get it once you see her," the man replied with an inaudible chuckle.
 
"Huh?"
 
"Just get ready, the awarding shall start in a few minutes."
 
oooooooooo
 
"Sango!"
 
Sango looked over her shoulder to find Miroku running frantically towards her. She pulled slightly at Kagome's hand to indicate that they stop walking to regard the frantic monk.
 
"Nani, Houshi-sama? I am bringing Kagome-chan to the awarding, if that's what's worrying you," she said, watching in puzzlement as Miroku suddenly stopped dead in his tracks.
 
Miroku was in awe. 'Sango... so beautiful...' he thought dazedly, letting his eyes feast on the figure before him. Her gown was simple but beautiful, something absolutely befitting of a woman like Sango. Her hair was simply combed back, letting a few loose strands frame her lovely face.
 
He snapped back to reality when Sango yelled his name in his face. "Oh, gomen Sango-sama! It's just... your dress... you look stunning, Lady Sango."
 
Sango flared red and tried to hide her face from his view in vain. Kagome almost giggled at her new friend's obvious unease.
 
"Ano... Arigatou, Houshi-sama. Now, what was it you wanted?" Sango asked, her face still slightly red. She watched as Miroku took a short glimpse of Kagome, smiled shortly at the princess, then looked straight back at her. That just made her blush even more. She knew Kagome was beautiful, yet it almost seemed like... like the monk only had eyes for her. But it was too much to ask, right?
 
Wrong. Miroku regarded the princess shortly, and gave her a polite smile, noticing that she looked quite lovely now that she was dressed up, but Sango... now SHE was something else!
 
"Inuyasha sent me to look for you. He is already in the awarding hall, and decorum calls for his concubine to be there. He asked me to escort the both of you," Miroku said shortly, before moving towards Sango and whispering. "Besides, I need to talk to you... it is urgent."
 
Kagome blinked as Miroku whispered something that she couldn't pick up to Sango. Sango blushed softly, and Kagome concluded that it must have been another compliment.
 
Sango, on the other hand, was blushing from the contact between them. Why did he need to get so close, anyway? Did he really need to get THAT close when whispering?! Duh... he was whispering... Sango nodded dumbly. "Lead the way, Houshi-sama."
 
Miroku began walking off at a fast pace, causing Kagome to stumble slightly in his wake. She wasn't used to wearing such strange shoes! They were a tad too high, and she was already trying hard to keep her balance as it was! They walked straight through the front doors, and Kagome blushed slightly when she noticed the guards' gazes lingering on her. She looked down at her feet shyly, not noticing the carriage that awaited them.
 
"Well, ladies first, Kagome-sama, Sango-sama," she heard Miroku say, making her look up and stare in awe at the waiting wagon. It was slightly round and of pure white, its single open door edged with gold trimmings. It had ebony wheels, and was drawn by a set of four white horses.
 
Kagome gulped slightly before ducking inside the vehicle. Inside it were two plush white seats that could each seat about three people, both facing each other. Kagome sat down on one of them, and she was shortly followed by Sango. Miroku followed, sitting on the chair opposite them.
 
"Well, I hope you are ready, Kagome-sama. A lot of people will be watching you with Inuyasha..." Miroku began, and Kagome bristled at the sound of the name.
 
"I am well aware of that, Miroku-sama," Kagome answered curtly, thoughts of Inuyasha ruining the good mood that Sango had helped her with.
 
Miroku sensed the tense atmosphere at once. 'She really hates him... but it was Inuyasha's job to get rid of her father. He did us all a favor with that. And he DID spare her...'
 
Sango also noticed this, and kept silent. The short ride to the palace was also done in relative silence.
 
Kagome stared out the window as they rode to the palace. 'Such a short distance. Why would we need a carriage?' she thought musingly, before an irritated thought made its way to her mind once again. 'Probably a publicity stunt... he wants to show everybody that he is "taking care" of his "mistress",' she thought in disgust. 'Gods, I hate him.'
 
He was a cold-blooded murderer. He killed her father, destroyed her land, and now had the nerve to take her away and make her HIS concubine! He was arrogant, ill-tempered, evil... and absolutely handsome.
 
'Eh?! Where had THAT come from?!' Kagome thought angrily. She hated him! But... he really was good-looking. She had been playing blind about it, but to be honest with herself, the guy was not an eyesore. He had the most amazing golden eyes... She hated him, but she couldn't begin to deny the truth. The bastard was an attractive man. That was probably where all his arrogance came from. And she had to admit, if he had not been her father's killer, she would have looked twice at him.
 
She was surprised that they had arrived at the palace during the time it took her to think about her hatred for her "master". Miroku led the way out of the carriage, before extending his hand to Sango and helping her out, then doing the same for Kagome.
 
Kagome stepped off carefully, keeping her eyes on her feet. She gasped aloud as she looked up and regarded the palace. Its pure white walls were pure and pristine, its tall turrets twined with rose garlands. Wreaths of flowers lined the red carpet that led the guests inside the hall. And the people around her! She had never seen so many people in her entire life! But she could have sworn that there weren't many people around as she came out of the dungeons that morning...
 
It was rather late in the afternoon now, and the lights from inside the palace shone out at her as they walked towards the palace doorway. She barely noticed the people who stared and whispered about her as she walked past them. She had very good hearing, and she discreetly listened to the Soldarians' words.
 
"Is that Higurashi's daughter?"
 
"Why is she here? She's that bastard's child, isn't she?"
 
She cringed at the words that she overheard. Just why did they hate her father so? Surely, he wasn't as evil as they all make them out to be? He was a wonderful man, loved by all of Calderia. Perhaps they were all misinformed?
 
"I heard that the Lord Inuyasha has taken a liking to her."
 
"Yeah. Maybe that's why he had succeeded in killing Higurashi."
 
"Maybe he killed him so he could take her with him!"
 
"And she is coming to see Lord Inuyasha as he is being awarded for killing her father!"
 
She balked at that. As if she'd go with her father's murderer! But what she heard next nearly made her spin around and hit whoever had said it.
 
"I heard that she had spread her legs for Lord Inuyasha."
 
"Ah, so that's why they haven't executed her yet."
 
"What a slut."
 
"A beautiful slut, though. Is she really a Higurashi?"
 
"If I were Lord Inuyasha, I wouldn't mind bedding her, even if she IS Higurashi's kid!"
 
Tears of anger formed around the edges of her eyes. How could they say that? How could they possibly think that she would lay on Inuyasha's bed just so he would spare her? She absolutely loathed that man! She was a princess, for God's sake! She would never grovel before him to be spared. She would much sooner die than lie with him!
 
She would NEVER give herself to him.
 
"Kagome?" Sango's voice broke through her musings. "Daijobu?"
 
She smiled slightly at her and nodded. Sango was not fooled, though. Kagome was not the only one who overheard the people's conversations. Miroku also looked rather steamed. Apparently, he had overheard them, as well.
 
Kagome kept smiling as she entered the palace. The place truly was beautiful. Its walls were, like the outside, of pure white, but with large mirrors lining them at about every three meters. Blaring chandeliers hung low from the high ceiling, and the flowers at the entrance did not cease as they went into the grand hall. Deep magenta roses lined the halls, and between the pillars hung deep velvet drapes. The palace was all lights and sweet scents.
 
"Sango!" a small voice called from somewhere behind them, and all turned to find an anxious servant, her hair pulled back in a bun and wearing a dark blue servant uniform, running towards them with a rather frantic expression. "Sango-san, Inuyasha-sama has been asking for you. He says he wants you to bring his concubine to him."
 
Kagome's smile instantly vanished.
 
"Oh, well, Koharu-chan. You're in luck! Here she is now," Sango said, turning towards the frowning Kagome with a smile. "Kagome, this is Koharu. She'll be taking you to Inuyasha-sama now."
 
"Kagome-sama, Inuyasha-sama awaits you in the backroom," Koharu said and bowed low before Kagome, startling her. Just how highly (or lowly) do they regard her here? One minute she was being thought of as a slut, and now she was being treated like a princess again!
 
Kagome softly asked the servant girl to rise. "Where is he?" she asked Koharu, who immediately picked up her skirts and asked her to come with her. 'As if I have a choice,' Kagome thought grimly.
 
"Kagome-sama!" Miroku called as she went to walk with Koharu.
 
"Nani, Miroku-sama?"
 
Miroku was silent for a while, and it made Kagome uneasy. "Kagome-sama, please be careful. Stick with Inuyasha, don't leave his side, and please... just... just stay with him tonight, ne?"
 
Kagome was confused. "I don't have a choice, Miroku-sama. I won't leave his side today, don't worry."
 
oooooooooo
 
"Where the fuck is that wench?" Inuyasha rallied as he sat before the king in one of the king's smaller offices. He could see the sun setting outside from one of the windows of the room. He would be awarded at sundown.
 
"Calm down, Inuyasha! It's not as if she will disappear if you are not right beside her!" King Onigumo said amicably, smiling broadly at Inuyasha. Then he turned serious. "And Inuyasha, I once again congratulate you for getting rid of Higurashi. Since the decree came out... I shall publicly congratulate you later."
 
"Thanks. I... It was my duty. And... Your highness," Inuyasha said. "Listen, I... about Kagome..."
 
"Ah, Kagome is Higurashi's daughter's name, ne? I just keep forgetting!" the king said. "You know, your application for her as your concubine came as a bit of a surprise. I didn't realize that those were your reasons for bringing her here..."
 
"No, those weren't my initial reasons, Onigumo-sama. I just want her to be under my care right now. She is, after all, the last of her race."
 
"That is what is confusing me, Inuyasha!" Onigumo exclaimed. "Why do you not want a race of evil people to be wiped out? Kagome is the spawn of the devil himself! How do you know she is not as wicked as her father? Why do you choose her over Kikyo?"
 
Inuyasha was startled by the King's outburst. "Your highness..."
 
"Kikyo has been in love for you for so long, Inuyasha. And I am getting old. I want to see her loved and provided for before I am gone. And you are the only one she wants," Onigumo said.
 
"Your highness, Higurashi is an asshole, but the people aren't exactly all like him! And..." Inuyasha paused. "King Onigumo, you know that I just don't feel that way about her. Gomen, really, I'm sorry, but... I don't love Kikyo."
 
"Can't you give her a chance?"
 
"Kikyo isn't for me. And I'm not for her," Inuyasha said.
 
"Well, then, just tell me one thing," the king said in resignation. "What do you see in Kagome that Kikyo does not have? Why take her as a concubine?"
 
Inuyasha didn't know what to say to that. He couldn't tell the king that she was the other half of the key - that would cause even bigger problems. And besides, the King didn't really know how valuable the Shikon no Tama was. He wouldn't care. Only the mystics and sorcerers of the land knew about it... he doubted that Kikyo had even heard about the Shikon no Tama, or Naraku.
 
He opened and closed his mouth a few times, but the wholly unexpected knock on the door was very much appreciated.
 
"Come in," Onigumo called, and in came a timid Koharu.
 
"You Royal Highness, I have brought Kagome-sama here as was your and Inuyasha-sama's request. Shall I let her in?" Koharu asked bowing low before them.
 
Onigumo was just about to say yes, but Inuyasha cut him off. "No, take her to the third sunroom. I wish to speak with her alone," he said, shooting the king a slightly annoyed look.
 
Koharu bowed before them then left the room to take Kagome to the said room. Onigumo turned to Inuyasha with a puzzled look. "Why did you do that?"
 
He was silent for a while, trying to gather his now scattered thoughts as how Kagome might look entered his mind. He was steamed about the King bringing Kikyo up into their discussion, even knowing how much he disliked the princess. "Gomen, King Onigumo, but Kagome and I have some things to settle. You do realize that she is here almost completely against her will?" he stated, before bowing slightly and leaving the King to his thoughts.
 
oooooooooo
 
Inuyasha stomped, irritated, through the halls of the palace. He was annoyed at the King for even suggesting something about Kikyo - he knew that Inuyasha didn't like her! There was a time that Inuyasha had been completely infatuated by the princess, but that was then. And what was that about him choosing Kagome over her? Kagome was an obligation to him now. He had to watch over her like a hawk now that he knew about her being the key. And she was the last of her kind... Those were his reasons. Right?
 
Now, where was he? Oh yeah... he was now standing a few doors away from the room he had instructed Koharu to take her to. His mind was suddenly assaulted with mental pictures of Kagome's face as she sat on the edge of her bed that morning, wearing a green hakama and glaring at him, while he cleaned up her wounds. He had just gathered back his sense of direction when he heard a soft voice calling his name from the corridor behind him. A soft female voice, belonging to one person he wouldn't want to see at a time like this... scratch that, he didn't enjoy seeing her at any time.
 
He turned to her abruptly, about to give her his usual 'What the hell do you want, Lady
 
Kikyo?', but the sight of her had made his breath catch in his throat. Shock overwhelmed him as he stared unwaveringly at her, his eyes wide. He had just realized something...
 
Kikyo looked astoundingly like Kagome. He had to wonder how in the hells he had managed to overlook it before. He had only noticed because as he turned to her, his mind was on Kagome, and it was as if he had suddenly been confronted with her - only it wasn't Kagome at all.
 
Then he realized - the two looked so similar, yet their eyes were so different... and he knew that the thing that had captivated him about Kagome was her eyes. And looking more closely, he realized that they may have looked similar, but also so different at the same time. It hardly made sense... but that was how he saw it.
 
Looking more closely at the princess, he was struck by how good she actually looked in her dress. Kikyo was wearing a long sleeved, elegant deep maroon dress, making her pale complexion look perfect and healthy. The tight ankle-length skirt that flared around her feet accented the curve of her hips. Her straight hair hung like a curtain of silk down her back. Scarlet eye shadow lined her eyes, which were staring at him with something akin to hunger.
 
He could never deny the fact that she looked better than the average woman. But her hooded eyes had always kept him at bay. It was as if... as if her eyes held no emotion. When she smiled, her eyes remained cold. He once again found himself comparing her to Kagome as he stared at her eyes. Kagome's beautiful expressive eyes showed you her heart, that he knew. They showed him how much she hated him, didn't they?
 
"Inuyasha... wonderful to see you. Congratulations on getting rid of Higurashi. You have avenged the people that he had mercilessly killed," Kikyo said with a seductive smile. "I see you are ready for your awarding," she added as she eyed him longingly.
 
He was dressed regally, befitting of a noble as himself. Victory gleamed in her eyes when she noticed that he was staring at her, almost as if he were in shock. She had dressed up for his awarding... she had to show him that she was so much better than that childish-looking whore that he had brought home from the wars. But then she noticed something... as he stared at her, it was as if his mind was far off - she could see it in his golden eyes. He was thinking of something else as he looked at her, looking for all the world like he was stunned by her beauty.
 
Or rather, someONE else.
 
'He's thinking of that bitch!' she thought heatedly as she remembered how much she and the other woman had looked alike. 'He's probably comparing me to her as we stand here!'
 
Kikyo's eyes narrowed in suspicious malice, snapping Inuyasha out of his stupor. Inuyasha suddenly remembered that the princess had spoken to him. "Uh..." he stammered, not knowing what to say since he didn't even listen to Kikyo as she spoke to him. He was too lost in his thoughts to care. "Um... yeah," he said morosely, absently noticing that the anger on Kikyo's face didn't even begin to reach her eyes.
 
"I'd be going ahead now, okay Princess? I have to talk to Kagome. Ja," he said in a no-nonsense way as he turned from her to head back the way he had been going.
 
oooooooooo
 
Angered tears threatened to fall down Kikyo's cheeks as he carelessly turned away from her, intent on finding his concubine. He didn't even seem to notice her! She had worn her best dress, shrieked all the slaves into making her as beautiful as she could possibly be, and now here he was, without a word to her except a detached 'yeah'.
 
Kikyo stared after him sadly, fuming at his insensitivity. "What do I have to do to get you to notice me, Inuyasha?" she softly asked his departing figure as he rounded the corner towards the third sunroom. "Are you coming to get her now, Inuyasha? Are you going to bring her to the noble hall with you now?"
 
The tears started to fall down the heartbroken maiden's cheeks, and was just about to turn when she heard a voice, seemingly from inside her head, mocking her.
 
"Are you just going to stand by and watch that wretched princess take him from you, Lady Kikyo? Kukuku... that is so unlike a princess. Shouldn't you stand up for what is yours?"
 
Kikyo turned abruptly, wildly looking around for the source of the voice. "Who are you? Show yourself! As the princess of this land, I order you to show yourself!" she said bravely, barely keeping the wavering out of her voice.
 
"No need to be forceful, my dear princess. Turn around and you shall see me."
 
Kikyo turned, and as she did so, a form drifted away from the shadows on the walls, coming to stand before her. The figure was wearing a strange white cloak, its hood hiding his face in shadows. He slowly looked up, startling the princess when his glowing red eyes stared into her dark gray orbs.
 
"Who are you?" Kikyo repeated, stepping away from the man. "What do you want from me?"
 
"Want?" the man said. "I want nothing but to help you, my dear lady. I can see how much the hanyou hurts you..."
 
"Don't call him that!" Kikyo snapped. "I don't need your help."
 
"Oh, but you do. I have what you want in the palm of my hand," he said softly.
 
"You have nothing that I may possibly want, whoever you are. Leave my palace before I have the guards arrest you," she said. She turned and began to walk away from him, but what the cloaked man said next made her stop dead in her tracks.
 
"I can make Inuyasha love you, Kikyo-hime."
 
Kikyo slowly turned towards him, her eyes wide and full of surprise. "Nani?"
 
The man knew when he had someone cornered, and he knew he had gotten to the princess. 'How pathetic, falling so in love with a hanyou that she would do anything to be loved back.'
 
"The name's Naraku, my lady," he said, moving towards her and kissing her right hand. "I am at your service."
 
"Can you... can you really... make Inuyasha love me?" Kikyo said, a hint of hope softening her voice.
 
"Yes, Kikyo-sama. I only wish for one thing in exchange for your services. One that you possibly would want as well," Naraku said, his garnet eyes glinting in victory. If she started having doubts, he knew exactly what he should do to make her say yes.
 
Kikyo hardly noticed the way his smile turned almost diabolical as he saw her giving in. 'Inuyasha,' she thought longingly. 'Will I really have his heart? Can I trust this man?'
 
At that thought, Kikyo suddenly saw an image of the man she loved. He was standing right outside the palace doors, a bouquet of flowers in his hands, smiling at her with his usual arrogant smirk, his expressive amber eyes full of love. She was running towards him, her arms outstretched, and as she reached him, he opened his arms, catching her and holding on tight. He tilted her back, lowering his lips to hers...
 
"Well, Kikyo-sama?" a voice interrupted her daydream, bringing the face of Naraku into her view. She wanted what she had just dreamed of so bad...
 
Naraku smirked inwardly as the princess seemed to come out of a trance. As soon as he sensed the doubt in her, he immediately planted a tempting mental image in her head. He had her, he was sure.
 
Kikyo stared at him. He was the key to her having Inuyasha. "Naraku..."
 
"Hai, Kikyo-sama?"
 
Kikyo took a deep breath, images of Inuyasha running through her mind.
 
"What do you wish for me to do?"
 
oooooooooo
 
Kagome stood impatiently in the center of the room. Koharu had just left her there, and now she was waiting for her "master" to arrive. She laughed scornfully as she saw her reflection in one of the mirrors of the sunroom. She was lovely... and she was stuck with a bastard.
 
A small knock came from the door, and before she could ask whoever it was to come in, Inuyasha slipped inside the room, his face turned away from her, brushing lint from his shirt. For a short moment, she was stunned - he looked incredible! He was wearing a black dress suit and a red undershirt. His silver hair still had that sleek-though-uncombed appearance, and he looked like a real prince now that he was clean. All the other times she had seen him, he was either wearing trash or had soot and blood all over his face. If she thought he was handsome then... wow... what was she thinking now?
 
Why did she feel so attracted to him, when he was her father's killer?
 
Inuyasha slowly lifted his head to acknowledge Kagome, and upon setting his eyes on her, his jaw all but dropped. She was breathtakingly beautiful, and her clean, intoxicating scent invaded his senses like the most potent wine. He was right about the dress - it suit her well. And he was right about her figure as well... what a body! The sleek green dress accentuated her every curve, and the light make-up that she had on only served to enhance and bring out her face's delicate features.
 
He snapped out of it when he noticed her glaring at him. "Ahem... Kagome, its time for the awarding."
 
"I can see that. Where's your sword, master?"
 
"Very funny, wench. Now I want you to act civilized out there. Is that clear?"
 
"Yes, bastard."
 
"No trying to kill people, and I want you at my side at all times, you hear me?"
 
"Yes, murderer."
 
"Stop that!"
 
Inuyasha sighed. She may have looked pretty, but she was still as mad at him as ever. He slowly approached her and began to pull her out of the room by her arm. Kagome gave a squeak of protest, and he used her unguarded state to his advantage. He shoved his face mere inches away from her own and said, "If you try anything funny, guards are all around. If you do anything barbaric to me, they won't hesitate to gun you down right then and there. So you behave yourself, got that, wench?"
 
Kagome nodded dumbly, before following him out of the room. Inuyasha took hold of
 
Kagome's arm, hooking his arm around hers. Kagome began to protest, but Inuyasha cut her off with a glare.
 
"Stop that wench. The awarding is about to start," he said, dragging her off to wait behind the curtains concealing them from the grand ballroom.
 
oooooooooo
 
The grand ballroom was packed with people, all of whom were laughing and getting reacquainted with old friends who had been invited to the awarding of the young duke Inuyasha. The lights from the myriad chandeliers hanging from the ceiling were bright and cheerful, the bouquets of flowers fresh and fragrant, all walls and furniture polished to perfection, and Sango was getting dizzy. And Miroku, with his less than exciting news, was not helping.
 
"Houshi-sama, I don't understand. How could Kagome, of all people, be the missing half? She's not even from this planet!" Sango whined softly.
 
"I don't know, Sango-sama. But the magic books never said that the key had to be from this planet," Miroku said thoughtfully.
 
"But you said that Inuyasha said that Kaede said that she wasn't sure!" Sango all but screamed.
 
"Yes, but Inuyasha also said that he had a gut feeling that Kagome-sama is the other half. And if anyone knows for sure, it would be Inuyasha. After all, he is the other half of the key."
 
"The books don't even say how the key could unlock the Shikon no Tama, Houshi."
 
"The books state," Miroku began. "That the two halves of the key would subconsciously know how to do it. We have to prevent Kagome-sama from using her powers, especially if Inuyasha is around. And to do that, we have to keep all threats away from her, so her powers would not awaken."
 
"Inuyasha already has Tetsusaiga. It acts as a barrier for him, ne Houshi- sama?" Sango asked.
 
"From what I know," Miroku said. "Tetsusaiga is to act as a seal so his demon blood and his powers won't come out. Duke Inutaisho had it forged when he learned from Kaede of Inuyasha being one half of the key. So all we really have to worry about is Kagome."
 
Sango sighed. "I guess we should look after her. We have to at least try to prevent those two from somehow unlocking the Shikon no Tama."
 
Miroku nodded, and saw out of the corner of his eye that King Onigumo was slowly rising from his seat, signaling for the orchestra players to stop their music as he began to speak. "Sango-sama, the awarding is about to start."
 
oooooooooo
 
"You're nervous, aren't you?" Kagome asked a pale Inuyasha, as he muttered curses under his breath and fidgeted restlessly beside her.
 
Inuyasha gave a small laugh, surprising Kagome - and himself. He laughed! He actually laughed! Was he that nervous? "Am I that obvious?" he asked the smirking female who stood beside him with her arms rigidly hooked through his.
 
"Yes you are. You're just gonna get awarded, what's the problem?" she asked, rolling her eyes.
 
Inuyasha looked away from her, barely hearing the more than flattering words that the king was saying about him. All this for killing a guy? "That's just it. And have you seen how many people there were out there?"
 
Kagome began to laugh, once again surprising both of them. "You're afraid of people? You go to war and risk your neck, and now you tell me you're afraid of people?"
 
"I'm not afraid of people!" Inuyasha snapped. "I just don't like crowds, especially if they're all looking at me. Besides, I'm about to be awarded, with you, my first concubine! People expect me to act properly around you, and I don't even know what I'm supposed to do!!!"
 
'Aha,' Kagome thought. This was her chance. She had vowed to break him as revenge, and since she obviously can't kill him... she would gain his trust... and betray him so badly...
 
She would break him. She would hurt him. And she would laugh about it once it was all over.
 
"Listen, Inuyasha," Kagome began softly, and Inuyasha looked at her in surprise at her soft tone. She hooked her arm more tightly around his, looking at him with a grim expression. "I hate you. I really do. But for saving me," she inwardly gagged. "I'll help you out with this. Just be your natural, arrogant self, and I'll do the rest. Alright?"
 
Inuyasha nodded dumbly as he heard the king's last few words of praise.
 
"...and we will be awarding him tonight. Sons and daughters of Soldari, please give a round of applause for our hero, young Duke Inuyasha!"
 
He blinked rapidly as the curtains shielding him and Kagome parted, presenting them to the hundreds of people there, all of whom were clapping and cheering their 'hero'. He was dazed, and he belatedly noticed Kagome nudging him hard.
 
He turned to her, and nearly fainted in shock. She was smiling at him, for the very first time, pulling on his arm, signaling him to go towards the King.
 
Oh yeah... she was faking that. But Gods, she had a beautiful smile...
 
Inuyasha steeled himself and gave a small smirk, waving at the people who were clapping with his arm not on Kagome. She was smiling vibrantly at the crowd, and though it was against her will, it seemed to do it for the curious people. She hated him, but she was doing this for him. He couldn't help but be flattered.
 
He approached the king, bowing low before him, and Kagome gave a small curtsy beside him. Even the King looked surprised at how well Kagome was behaving. Inuyasha stood straight upon the King's request. His knees were shaking, hopefully not visibly, as he stood there, nervous at knowing that the entire nobility of Soldari was staring at him right at that moment.
 
"Lord Inuyasha of the Taiyoukai clan, as King of Soldari, I congratulate you upon the slaughter of the tyrant Lord Higurashi," the king said, and Inuyasha felt Kagome tremble slightly, her arm tightening around his. "I grant you command upon the first fleet of Calderia, which you had for years been part of. And from this day, you will be Lieutenant Colonel Inuyasha Taiyoukai!"
 
Loud applause greeted Inuyasha right then, and he nearly fainted. 'Lieutenant Colonel? Like only one rank below Sesshoumaru?' he thought, seeing the King pin a large golden emblem on his chest. The royal crest, signifying the king's eternal gratitude.
 
Everybody looked happy, and Inuyasha smirked slowly, bowed to the King, and turned to regard his fellowmen. He waved again, before looking at Kagome, who was smiling tightly, holding onto his arm.
 
He left the podium and began to walk towards the refreshment tables, before a servant approached him and told him that he had a table reserved for himself and his concubine.
 
He led Kagome over to the table, where an assortment of different food had been set before him. People came to him endlessly as he took his seat with Kagome, shaking his hand and thanking him for killing Higurashi. Some of them stopped a while to look at Kagome, some even commending him on his choice of concubine.
 
Kagome seethed at every word of thanks she heard directed towards Inuyasha. They were congratulating him for "ridding the world of the devil himself", and she hated it. Some of the men gave her strange looks, before turning to Inuyasha and saying that she was much too pretty to be "Higurashi's child".
 
They called her so many different things, but never once did she hear any of them speak her name. Did nobody on this Gods be damned planet know her name? Heck, not even Inuyasha had called her by her name yet!
 
Finally, the people seemed to have run out, and the pair ate in peace. The food was wonderful, but each bite tasted like glue to Kagome. It was her birthday... but here she was, "rejoicing" her father's death.
 
"It's my birthday," she whispered scornfully, but Inuyasha heard her. He gave no indication that he did, though.
 
Inuyasha noticed that Princess Kikyo was not in the ballroom. Maybe he just missed her, and she was there, "lurking in the shadows" as Miroku puts it? He shrugged before continuing to eat his meal.
 
A sudden explosion from the center of the room grabbed his attention away from the food, and he sat up, turning his shocked eyes to the ballroom. Kagome abruptly stood as well, her eyes locked upon the pandemonium in the middle of the hall.
 
People ran in all directions away from the explosion, screaming their fright and tripping over their skirts. A burst of smoke came from the depths of the explosion, and when the smoke cleared, a figure in a white cloak appeared. The man was holding onto a limp female figure, whom Inuyasha recognized at once.
 
"Kikyo!" he shouted. Kagome covered her mouth with her hand to stifle a gasp of shock as she too, recognized the woman. The cloaked man was holding her unconscious form, and Kagome shivered when the man looked up and stared at her and Inuyasha. His eyes...
 
His eyes were scarlet.
 
"Naraku! Teme... what are you doing here?" Inuyasha shouted.
 
Kagome's eye's widened. 'Did he just say... Naraku?'
 
"I've come to congratulate you, Inuyasha! You have managed to kill the King of Calderia! I am so proud of you!" Naraku said mockingly, his gaze drifting to Kagome. "And now you have a concubine?! How lucky you are, Inuyasha! Tell you what. I'll give the princess back to her father, if you agree to join me and find the jewel!"
 
Inuyasha seethed, and the panicked king began calling for guards, ordering them to arrest the man who stood before him, holding his unconscious daughter. The guards charged at Naraku, but the dark-haired youkai simply raised the hand not holding onto the princess, and shot a strange ray of light towards the oncoming guards.
 
Strangled yells of pain were heard from the guards, as the ray from Naraku's hand scorched them, engulfing them in red-hot flames. Inuyasha had to look away, and Kagome closed her eyes, holding her hands over her ears. Inuyasha made a grab for the frightened princess, holding her shivering form close to his body as tears of horror slowly dripped from her closed eyes.
 
Naraku turned back to Inuyasha. "I know your secret, hanyou. And I know about the girl. You WILL give me what I want if you know what's best for you. I'll be right behind you, watching. And I'm going to regain what is mine by right!"
 
With those words, Naraku threw Kikyo a good ten feet away from him, making the princess land in a listless heap on the ground.
 
"Kikyo!" Inuyasha yelled, and almost ran to her, but he would not leave Kagome- she needed his protection now that Naraku knew about her. He couldn't leave her. Besides, the King was already running towards Kikyo anyway.
 
Naraku gave a loud, haunting laugh, before flames exploded around his form. When the flames disappeared, so had the cloaked figure.
 
Kagome looked up when the room suddenly turned deathly quiet. Naraku was gone... leaving behind a patch of burnt floor, dead guards, and an injured Soldarian princess. She pushed away from Inuyasha, placing her hands on his chest as she surveyed the horrified people.
 
"You ok?" Inuyasha asked softly , looking down at the woman in his arms.
 
"Ee. I think so..." she looked back at him. "That man... who was he?"
 
"Naraku. A total bastard and regal pain in the ass. He's after the Shikon no Tama."
 
"The what?"
 
"I'll explain later. But we have to get out of here," he said, holding her arms lightly as he spoke to her, silently ordering her to look into his eyes.
 
Kagome nodded slowly, before realizing something...
 
She was still in Inuyasha's embrace. Their faces were a scant few inches apart as they spoke softly to each other, and Kagome blushed as she imagined the compromising scene they must have made to those who bothered to look.
 
Both suddenly pushed away from each other, turning away from the other in an effort to regain their composure. Kagome's heart was beating fast, and Inuyasha was trying to keep the blush off his face.
 
'Shit,' he thought. He had barely realized that he and Kagome were speaking so closely, and that she had still been in his arms. He could have kissed her if he had leaned down a tiny bit more...
 
Now, why was he thinking that?! He turned to her, the blush still on his cheeks, and spoke the first thing that came to mind.
 
"So... you ready to go home?"
 
oooooooooo
 
"So, you gonna tell me or what?" Kagome asked Inuyasha as they stepped inside the Inuyoukai manor. After the attack, nobody had not been shaken enough to continue the festivities, and everybody got up and went home. Miroku and Sango decided to stay and help the King and the other guards with whatever had to be done, but Inuyasha had immediately dragged Kagome away and pushed her inside the carriage.
 
Inuyasha remained silent as he walked beside Kagome, up the stairs leading to her bedroom. "It's a long story. I'll tell you, but not today. I need to... to think."
 
"You said you would tell me," Kagome protested as they reached her door, where two guards were stationed like they had been before they left for the awarding.
 
"I said I'd tell you later. I never said I'd tell you once we got back home," he stated gruffly, opening Kagome's door with his ID card. "Right now, you need to rest. It's been a long day, and don't forget that you still have injuries from yesterday's attack."
 
Kagome stiffened. Hell, she remembered. How could she forget the day she lost her father?
 
Inuyasha led her inside her room, motioning for her to sit on her bed. Once she was seated, Inuyasha began to speak again. "I'll tell you what you want to know about Naraku tomorrow. But for now you have to rest. I had the servants fill your closets while we were out, so you have some new things in there. If you want to bathe, there are soaps here, too, but I'd advice against that. You'll get sick. Just go to sleep, ok?"
 
Kagome glared at him as he spoke. "I don't have to follow your orders."
 
"But you should. Now go to sleep. You can do whatever you want once you wake up. But for now, you need your sleep," Inuyasha said, heading for the door. "Goodnight. If you need anything, just press that button," Inuyasha motioned to a button by the side of her headboard. "Alright? Go to sleep."
 
With that, Inuyasha left Kagome to her thoughts.
 
oooooooooo
 
'Naraku...' she thought for the umpteenth time that night. 'That name... that's the name of the phantom in my dreams... the one who... who killed me...'
 
She was in the shower, rinsing off the creams that Sango had used on her hair to keep it in place for that evening. She scrubbed furiously at her body, washing away all the dirt of the day. Inuyasha had been right about the soaps. He had the servants place soaps in her closet - about a dozen varieties of them.
 
'Is he trying to get on my good side? Coz he won't be succeeding anytime soon,' she thought angrily. 'I still detest his very essence.'
 
She stepped out of the shower, and dried herself up, wrapping a towel around her form before leaving the bathroom. She went for the dresser where she had found her sets of underwear. She was just about to open the top drawer when she noticed something resting on top of her bureau.
 
It was a small golden comb, just large enough to fit in her palm, encrusted with a set of small gems - two small emeralds, and right between them was a slightly larger smoky blue sapphire. Underneath it was a note, and Kagome picked both items up with astonishment. She read the note to herself under her breath, her surprise growing with every word.
 
Oi wench,
 
I saw this in the house treasury, and it reminded me of you. You had better use this thing! And yeah...
 
Happy birthday.
 
Kagome stared at the note in her hands, then shifted her gaze back to the little treasure in her other hand. It was lovely, and as she looked at the sapphire, she unconsciously found herself shifting her gaze to the mirror on her dresser. The sapphire... was the same color as her eyes.
 
And the green was the exact color of the dress she had worn earlier.
 
She regarded the dress, which she had lain on her bed, before glancing back at the note. Who could have known it was her birthday? And who could have sneaked up into her room just to... could it have been...
 
'Iie... that's impossible,' she thought. But her room was highly guarded, and the only one who could get in was... 'Absolutely impossible!' she thought, and she noticed, much to her irritation, that her heart had skipped a beat at the thoughts in her head.
 
She turned the card, and at the backside of the card was a small printed name.
 
Inuyasha
 
oooooooooo
 
A/N: Revision dated March 22, 2009.