InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Just for Her ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Now that I have the ownership papers–
::Police man cuts in:: They're written in black crayon. I don't think they count.
*Glowers at the guy* I told you already, if they say `copyright Inuyasha' blah, blah, blah, they count legally.
::Police:: …Fine and dandy, but they're also written on the back of coloring book pages.
*Scowls again and looks at papers* How'd that happen…?

A/N: Thank you one and all for your kind words!

~reviewers~
so glad you would never not finish the story =) well at least your doing your work. i hate when teachers pile up the work. and you are really awesome (even if you dont think you are). so is kagome gonna take inu out to have their little outings again. those were always fun to read. you made my saint patricks day way better when i saw that you updated thanks!

I don't know why, but I want to personally thank you for your review. Nya, I have two projects duereally soon so I'm not going to have a whole lot of time to update. T-T *snorts* I'm really awesome. Ri-i-i-i-i-ight. Neh, I might squeeze in another outing before the end! ^_~ I'm sooo happy I brightened your Patty's Day!

I absolutely LOVE your story! Please update soon! There are no words on how to express how much I love your story! I look I to your next update! And, do I smell love in the air between Inuyasha and Kagome? I sure hope so! Or maybe it's just the cinnamon buns I'm eating. ^_^;

Yay! I'm glad you like it! I like making people happy. And though you like it, I've no idea how you are able to like it so fervently. Love, love, love! There must always be some sort of love between the two or else the world will collapse. LoL! Hope those tasted great!

*clears throat* There weren't any real questions, so I sorta just picked two reviews at random so I could talk to someone… since a certain dangersque just so happened to have disappeared on me and I need to see his ever-so-long reviews… dangersque, where the hell did you go?

AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Keade: 65

A Dark Past

-

-
Chapter Thirty-Two: Just for Her

-

-
`Aw, dammit,' Inuyasha grumbled, thinking about what the stupid psychiatrist had said. `That's kinda how I feel around Kagome. . .'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Do you do anything that's fun?”

“Keh; of course I do. It's merely your opinion of what fun is that sets up apart.”

Kagome snorted. “I never mentioned anything about us being set apart.”

The hanyou nearly rolled his eyes. “You didn't say anything on that topic, actually.”

Kagome blew her bangs off her forehead before flopping onto the bed next to Inuyasha on her back in a totally bored fashion. “We need something to do,” she told him in a completely casual way.

“No, we don't, but you may feel free to do something by leaving my room.”

“Aw, but you'd be lonely without me.” She said that in a semi sing-song voice and batted her lashes at him innocently.

Inuyasha snorted.

“It's true.”

“Mm-hmm,” he hummed in reply; “I'm sure.”

Kagome sighed as a short silence passed. Seconds ticked away with Inuyasha staring out the window and Kagome desperately racking her brain for something fun to do.

“I know!” she cried suddenly, bolting up.

“Will you stop that kami-awful racket? I would like to leave this place, eardrums intact.”

“We can make our own game!” the nurse continued, most likely not hearing Inuyasha's comment in her excitement.

Inuyasha's mouth, which had been open, ready to make more smart remarks, abruptly snapped shut as he gaped at her.

Kagome could have sworn she heard crickets from somewhere outside.

“Inuyasha?” she tentatively asked.

“Are you stupid? `Make our own game'? Keh! You sound like a child.”

Kagome glared before saying, “If you don't want to help, than I'll make the game myself.”

The hanyou rolled his eyes and grumbled incoherent curses of exasperation.

“I know right now what I want our game to revolve around,” Kagome informed him, grinning.

Inuyasha, despite his better judgment, hesitantly asked, “What?”

“Questions on each other!”

He made a face.

“Oh, come off it, it's not that bad.”

“That's easy for you to say; you're a goody-goody two shoes.”

Kagome rolled her eyes. “Of course I am; I'm just an innocent little lamb that never does anything wrong or make bad choices.”

“Is that sarcasm? What could you have possibly done that could be considered bad? Oh, did you yell at some little kid for being a brat?”

No; you'll have to find out through the game what I did, now won't you?”

Inuyasha sighed. “I'm not playing a stupid- - -”

“And if you lie when answering a question, there will be repercussions,” she continued, brow furrowed in thought.

Rolling his eyes at her antics, he mumbled, “This isn't even a game, it's more like Twenty Questions, only no one knows how many questions there'll be.”

Kagome apparently didn't hear him as she continued to make up her little `game'. “Hmm, I suppose I could have it that you're able to skip. . . two? No, three questions, if you really don't want to answer them. . .”

“Will you shut up already? I'm not going to play this stupid game- - -”

“Alright!” Kagome interjected, beaming. “We can begin now!”

Inuyasha shot her a look. “You really need to start paying attention. I said I'm not playing your awful excuse of a game.”

“Aw, come on, Inuyasha. It'll be fun!” Kagome pleaded.

“Hell, no,” was his automatic reply.

“Please?”

“No.”
Kagome furrowed her brow as she gave him a pathetic look. “Please?”

`How can you resist that? She looks so cute!' came the non-wanted comment from Inuyasha's youkai.

`Oh, shut up, I didn't ask your opinion. Besides, you sound like a wimp calling her cute.'
There was a snort. `You're thinking the exact same thing, whether or not you want to admit it.'

Inuyasha shook his head in answer to his nurse. “. . . Didn't I say no?” Despite his words, he looked a little torn.

Please?” she asked again, clasping her hands in front of her chest, her eyes pleading

His resolve to deny her crumbled. “Well. . .” he started, not wanting to make it clear that she had done more than persuade him. He cleared his throat and answered, “Keh, I suppose I have no choice.”

Kagome beamed, her face lighting up brilliantly. “Yay!” she cheered. Impulsively, she leaned towards him to give him a hug.

Inuyasha was not expecting that.

His whole body tensed in surprise as she pressed her cheek against his chest. Memories came flying back - memories of someone else doing almost the exact same thing, only that particular person was someone who he currently couldn't stand.

`Kikyou.' The name rang in his mind and his face contorted in disgust.

“Thank you,” came a soft murmur, tone overflowing with happiness and sincerity.

Inuyasha then remembered that it wasn't Kikyou who was pressed against him, but his nurse. He relaxed slightly before remembering his place and huffed, pulling away. “What the hell do you think you're doing, wench?” he demanded, feigning indignation.

“Oh, puh-leez, I'm your girlfriend, remember? It's- It's my right to hug you.”

Inuyasha stared at her for a second before sighing and turning so that he was parallel with her, all the while giving her a pitying look. “Okay, wench. You didn't know this, so I'll tell you now: no touchie.”

Kagome snorted.

“I'm quite serious.”

“Oh, of course you are,” Kagome agreed.

“I am.”

“I know.”

“Sure you do.”

Kagome rolled her eyes. “Now we're going to play my game.”

Inuyasha groaned.

“Hey, you agreed!” Kagome frowned.

“I shouldn't have.”

The nurse gave him a withering look before beaming. “Here's how we do this: I'll start by asking you a question, and you have to answer. Every time you answer with the truth, you get a point. Every time you lie, you lose five points- - -”

“Five?” Inuyasha cut in.

“Yes, five. Now shut-up for thirty seconds so I can finish, please. Thank you; now, when we don't have any more questions we want to ask, or if we run out of time, the person with the most point wins. That person can have anything they want as a prize, except- - -”

“Okay, wench, it's been thirty seconds,” Inuyasha interjected.

Kagome scowled at him. “I'm not done.”

“Yes, you are.”

Her scowl darkened. “No, I'm not.”

“Either you're done giving instructions or I'm not playing.”

Kagome huffed at him before sulkily saying, “Fine then. Let's get started. Oh, I start,” she quickly blurted the last part before Inuyasha could say anything against her. “Okay, so, Inuyasha, were you close to either of your parents?”

Inuyasha, in reply, shrugged. “Not really. My father wanted an heir. Sesshoumaru really suited his tastes more than I did, since he's full youkai and I'm a half breed. My mother, seeing how it would be very easy for me to grow up scorned, took care of me. She was more of a parent than my father. I suppose that I really was happy with her.”

Kagome cocked her head at his tone. “What happened? You sound like you hate her now.”
Amber eyes gazed out the window and Kagome couldn't completely see his expression. “I grew up.”

“Wha- - -?”

Inuyasha cut her off. “Oi! You're doing that thing again! One question at a time, wench. Geez.”

Kagome pouted but stopped her next question. “Fine then, it's your turn.”

“Good, now that I'm the one to ask you a question, it's going to be a good one. . .”

“By the way, you got a point,” Kagome told him as an afterthought.

“I'm not going to waste my question like you do,” he continued, giving her a withering look for interrupting him. “So, Kagome, have you always wanted to be a nurse?”

“Oh, yeah, you're not wasting your questions,” Kagome couldn't help but tease.

“I'm not, I'm asking a very legitimate question.”

“Oo, where'd you learn such big words?”

Inuyasha scowled at her and changed the topic. “Are you going to answer or not.”

Kagome shook her head. “I didn't always want to be a nurse first. I was thinking that I'd be a nurse if my first career choice turned out to be a flunk - which it was.”

“What was it - your first choice?”

“Oh, now look who's asking more than one question.”

Inuyasha gave her a dry look. “Fine, be that way.”

Kagome smiled innocently. “My turn, and oh, yeah, I got a point.”

“I know when you're given points and when you're not, wench. I'm not quite that stupid.”

“You sure about that?”

Inuyasha sent her a half-hearted glare.

Kagome laughed before going back to their game. “Will you tell me a little about Kikyou?”

An alarm went of in Inuyasha's head. There was a three second silence as Inuyasha considered Kagome. Finally, he hesitantly answered, deciding to ignore the frantic warning he was receiving. “I already told you some about her.”

“Will you tell me a little more?”

Going beyond boundaries, ones he was uncomfortable out of, he slowly replied, “I told you how and where I met her. We became incredibly close up into High School. But it was right after her sixteenth birthday that she asked me if we could date. . . I don't think I've ever been so shocked in my life. I would have said no, but. . . I knew that if I did, I'd make her cry, and then she'd feel hurt, and that might've seriously hurt our friendship. So, I did what any guy under pressure would do. . . Or, at least, what any guy that I know would do - I panicked, gave in, and said yes. She was the only person who I would call a friend without a moment's doubt, and all I wanted to do was keep her happy since she always made me happy.

“But, saying yes to her was the worst thing I could have ever done. Soon after that, she started talking about how wonderful it was to be married and heavily hinting that she'd like to. . . `settle down,' as she called it. But I didn't really look at her as a girlfriend, not really. We went on dates, sure. She made sure I held her hand all the time, yes. But that was all. I made sure of that. I don't know where the idea of marriage - or mating - came from, but she was dead set on it. . . I tried to tell her that I seriously wasn't ready for a thing like that since work was a taxing enough responsibility, and I tried to explain that by youkai custom, I had to mate for life - she couldn't change her mind in a few years and want a divorce or something. She, of course, said that was fine and she wanted nothing less.”

Inuyasha sighed at the memory. “But I seriously couldn't see her as my mate - just a friend who had maybe lost her mind in taking such a strong liking to me. I tried to tell her that in every possible way that I wasn't ready, but she never picked up on it. . . Like I already said, I really should've just said no to begin with, but looking at her desperate eyes when she asked me. . .”

Kagome swallowed at all the new information. “You did it for her?”

The hanyou nodded. “Yeah, I did.”

“Do you think that your friendship would have fallen apart, like you thought, if you had refused?” Kagome couldn't stop herself from asking.

“I. . . really don't think so. She might have sulked for a while, possibly even cried for some time, but. . . she would have never just abandon our friendship. I was stupid in thinking she would.”
Kagome shrugged. “No, you acted like anyone would have, given the situation: you're only friend is expecting a little more from you and you don't want to give it. If you refuse, why wouldn't they leave? You'd be afraid that they would be disappointed in you.”

Inuyasha didn't answer, but looked out the window.

Sensing the atmosphere was growing gloomy, Kagome continued, “Hey, you got your point, now you have to ask me a question.”

“What was your first career choice?” he asked without hesitation.

“To be an author.”

“I don't see how that could have- - - wha?”

“To be an author,” she repeated.

“Uh. . . why?”

Kagome shrugged. “When I was little, the only thing I knew about my father was that he liked to read. But every single book he read had a not-so-happy ending. He liked these author's who made excellent plots, but miserable - literally - endings. It's stupid, but I made a vow to become an author one day and write a book that he'd love that a happy ending for once. . . But I was excellent in school, skipping two grades, one in elementary and one in High School, and my mom was expecting me to go on to college or something. . . so I did, for her, because my father left us and it was my mother who was more important in my life.”

Inuyasha blinked. “That's kinda depressing.”

Kagome snorted. “Things like that happen often with people, I'm sure. Especially in today's world.”

Inuyasha sighed, leaning back on hands. “That's a point for you.”

“Now it's my turn! Okay, so, did you ever love someone?”

Inuyasha gave her a look that suggested she had grown some sort of alien appendage.
“Fine then, I'll ask something else. . . um, do you currently love someone?”

“How is that any different?” Inuyasha demanded.

“Hey, my last question was if you ever, this one is if you do. Big difference, see?”
Inuyasha snorted.

“Just answer.”

“Neh.”

Kagome sighed. “What type of answer is that?”

“I'll skip this one.”

Kagome was about to say he couldn't do that when she remembered she had said he could skip three questions. A few seconds after remembering that, she gave Inuyasha a shocked look. While he hadn't been admitting he loved someone, he wasn't exactly denying it, either.

“Okay, then,” Kagome finally said after she had shook herself back to reality. “No points awarded to you.”

Inuyasha looked like he was seriously thinking about his next question when Kagome piped up. “Oh, it's time for me to get your lunch.”

“Oi!” he protested. “I had a good one!”

Kagome gave him an innocent smile. “Well, I did say that if we ran out of time, the winner was whoever had the most points. And that person is me!”

“But I had a good one that you would've skipped and then it'd be a tie!”

Kagome's smile widened. “Too bad, I win! We can play again, sometime, though, if you want.”
Inuyasha grumbled about stupid wenches and their stupid plagiarized games.

“Hey, it's not plagiarized!”

“It's almost like Twenty Questions.”

“But it's not! It's different! In my game, you get points.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes.

Kagome was about to make another retort when she stopped herself. “Hey, are you distracting me from the fact that I won and now get a prize - being just about anything I want?”

“. . .No.”

Kagome laughed at him. “Okay, I'll collect my prize later, but now I really need to get your lunch.”

“Keh, fine then, wench.”

Kagome stood up and stretched before heading over to the door, sliding her I.D. card. Inuyasha, who had followed her, opened the door and held it open like a footman would for a princess. “Madame,” he said in a highly sarcastic voice, giving a mock bow.

Kagome gave an overdramatic Miss America wave before stepping outside. “See you in a few minutes.”

“Yep.” And then she he shut the door.

`I can't believe you told her so much about Kikyou.'

Inuyasha huffed. `Shut-up.'

`You're really starting to take a shine to her, aren't you?'

`I said shut-up.'

`Say, why did you skip that one particular question?'

`Shut-up,' Inuyasha repeated again, his tone becoming dangerous.

`Oo, don't tell me that the hard-hearted Inuyasha is actually falling in love.'

`Alright then I won't. I don't love anyone. I can't love anyone. So you can just stop thinking that I like Kagome.'

`Who said I was thinking it was Kagome?'

Inuyasha gave a few choice curses, cheeks turning slightly pink. `Don't you know what shut-up means?'
----------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------

Woo, spring break is upon me! Happy Easter! Though it's a really late Easter present, here's the next chapter!

And OMG! This Fic was nominated for best AU/AR by the Feudal Association… I can very honestly say that that came as a huge shock. I have no idea who nominated this story, but I'm very touched (and shocked). It's not likely that I'll win, but still, I was nominated!

If you want to check anything out, the Feudal Association website is:
http://feudalassociation.cadkitten.com/

And you can vote for stories here:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FeudalAssociation /
Will anyone vote for me? …Most likely not, but that's fine with me! LoL!

R&R!
Ja ne!