InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ It's all Over ( Chapter 39 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Um… I fish for pennies to buy my lunch every day. That clue you into whether or not I own it?
 
A/N: Hmm… I didn't like the end of this chapter. Ick. Anyhoo. Read and enjoy. And thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SOOOOO much for the two-hundred (200, people! TWO HUNDRED!!) reviews. You made my day. ^_________^
 
AGE:
Inuyasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Kaede: 65
 
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Thirty-Nine: It's All Over
-
 
-
 
Later, Kagome would duck her head in shame and slap her forehead at her stupidity. Instead of saying anything intelligent like she had originally planned, her eyes widened and her mouth made a small o before she exclaimed, “So you're the bastard!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
“Eh?” Izayoi blinked at her husband. She waited a few seconds, hoping that her mate would elaborate on his own. When he did not, she nearly rolled her eyes and asked, “And who is our unexpected visitor?”
 
Inutaisho slammed his book shut with a snap and placed it on his desk. “Why, I do believe it's Inuyasha's mate-to-be if I'm not mistaken.”
 
Izayoi swallowed a squeal. “Oh, really? Well, we must be sure to better get to know her. I saw her when I went over to pick up Inuyasha, but now that we know how serious Inuyasha is about her, we must arrange some sort of proper introduction.”
 
Inutaisho agreed as he flipped open some documents. “But for now, we'll allow her to better acquaint herself with Sesshoumaru.”
 
“Sesshoumaru is a good boy,” Izayoi said softly. “He'll take care of her while she's here. He does take the whole mating thing quite seriously.”
 
Inutaisho looked up at her and grinned. He held out his arms for her and she willingly came to him, allowing him to embrace her. “Yes. Yes, he does.”
 
*
 
*
 
“I see that my brother has told you many wonderful things about me.”
 
Kagome winced. “Well- - -uh- - -y'see- - - that is- - -”
 
A small chuckled escaped Sesshoumaru's lips and Kagome froze in uncertainty. “If I've lived my whole life with my foolish younger brother calling me such, I can live with one more. Though I have to admit I'm surprised at such. . . `formality,' even if you are going to be his mate.”
 
She colored in embarrassment. “I'm- I'm sorry,” she stammered. “I swear it was purely instinct to blurt that out- - -Whuh?” Kagome blinked. “Um. . . mate?”
 
Sesshoumaru lifted a thin, pale eyebrow almost delicately. “Has my younger brother not informed you of his. . . intentions towards you?”
 
Kagome paused. “Um, `intentions'?” she echoed hesitantly, not at all sure what was meant by that.
 
Sesshoumaru slowly tilted his head slightly. “If he hasn't told you, then. . .” The older male drifted off and a smirk stole across his lips. “Then how exactly does he plan to take you as a mate if you don't even know about his intentions? Has he stooped so low as to rape someone?”
 
“Eh!?” Kagome was really confused by this point.
 
Instead of replying, he shook his head. He lifted a hand and slipped his fingers through his long locks of platinum hair. The action caused Kagome to look down at his hands and she noticed for the first time that he was holding something. “Never mind.”
 
Kagome looked back up to make eyes contact. “Oh. Well, anyway. . . Um, what's that you have there?” She nodded towards his hand.
 
“Ah. This?” He held up the item and Kagome nodded. “It's just a wallet,” he informed her.
 
“So then it's your wallet?” Immediately after asking the question, she wanted to slap her forehead. Of course it was his wallet. Who waltzed around with random people's wallets- - -?
 
“Actually, no,” Sesshoumaru confessed.
 
Kagome blinked as her brain went to work. `Uh. . . I seem to be in a building that is home to a rapist and a thief. Something wrong with that thought? No-o-o-o-o, of course not. I make it the highlight of my day to stop by for a spot of tea with fiends all the time.'
 
She cleared her throat and shifted awkwardly. “I, uh. . . I see, then.”
 
Sesshoumaru's eyes glinted with amusement as he figured out what was running through her head. “It belongs to MenouMaru,” he offered.
 
Kagome's eyes settled on the dark brown wallet again. “Is that a fact?” she asked lowly. For some reason, all her enthusiasm was sapped out of her at the second mention of the demon that made Inuyasha - her Inuyasha - so miserable.
 
“It is,” the stoic - for the most part - man replied. “I called him not but five minutes ago to remind him that it was missing.”
 
Kagome frowned for a second and had she been a lower woman, would've laughed at MenouMaru's stupidity. “How does someone forget their wallet?”
 
Sesshoumaru spared the wallet a look. “Yes, it does seem quite idiotic,” he agreed. “But the fact of the matter is that he did leave it behind and that he's going to be here any minute to pick it up.”
 
Kagome made a face. “Ugh.”
 
“And he's bringing his mate with him.”
 
Ugh.” She wrinkled her nose. “I am so out of here. Mind pointing me in the direction of Inuyasha?”
 
“As much as I would love to do that, I need you to meet our parents first. I'm sure they would enjoy being properly acquainted with Inuyasha's future mate.”
 
Kagome rubbed her temples. “Urg. You keep saying mate, mate, mate, mate, mate. What do you mean by that? Inuyasha and I aren't- - -”
 
Sesshoumaru's smirk turned to one of amusement. “The idiotic brother of mine did explain the demons process of mating to you, didn't he?”
 
Kagome hesitated. “Um. . . yeah, but- - -”
 
She winced as a small speaker by the front door squealed and crackled to life. “My lord!” a voice squeaked. Immediately, Kagome recognized it as the green frog-toad-thing - Jaken, wasn't it? “MenouMaru-san and his mate are through the gates and coming to the house as we speak.”
 
Kagome automatically glared at the door, hoping something would jam and make it impossible to open the door.
 
“Very good, Jaken. Thank you,” Sesshoumaru called. Jaken let out a pleased “Hee hee” at the compliment and the speaker crackled again before shutting off.
 
“Um,” Kagome began. “I'm thinking that if I see MenouMaru, I'm not going to be held responsible for my actions. He is the one who hurt Inuyasha after all.”
 
Sesshoumaru chuckled. “You are also protective. I have to say, this is definitely a step in the right direction.”
 
The nurse gave him a look and contemplated asking just what he meant by that but she didn't have time. Instead, there was a knock at the door. Instantly, Kagome tensed and found herself torn between fleeing the area and confronting the bas- - -the demon that had caused Inuyasha so much trouble.
 
Sesshoumaru opened the door and stepped back.
 
And then MenouMaru stepped in.
 
Kagome noted with slight annoyance that he didn't just walk in, oh no. He waltzed in with enough self confidence to choke a whale.
 
She found herself hating him even more than ever.
 
“MenouMaru,” Sesshoumaru greeted coolly.
 
Cold, emotionless eyes flicked over to him and they had a brief staring contest.
 
“And where has your mate wandered off to?” the silver-haired demon inquired politely.
 
For a minute Kagome thought that MenouMaru was going to completely ignore both her and Sesshoumaru, but after a long paused, he finally decided to grace them with an answer. “She took the back way in. The only reason why she came with me was to talk to Inuyasha.”
 
“And why would she need to speak to Inuyasha?” Kagome butted in, her voice coming out slightly colder than she intended.
 
MenouMaru flicked his expressionless gaze in her direction. Their eyes met and she was floored. Being a nurse, she easily picked up the signs. MenouMaru's apathetic face was ghostly pale - unnaturally so - and his cheekbones were definitely sunken in. Dark shadows marred the flesh below his eyes, contrasting harshly with his pallid complexion. His cold eyes were glazed over with what most likely pain.
 
`Is he that sick?' she wondered to herself before during a quick skim of his overall appearance. He was definitely thin. Too thin, in fact. She hadn't been paying attention earlier - she had been too distracted by his `circus suit' - but she was sure that his ribs were taut against his skin. She also noted that he was haggard and all that was keeping him from slouching with exhaustion was his pride.
 
`What's wrong with him?'
 
Did demons get sick? Didn't they have some sort of amazingly powerful immune system?
 
“I'm sure that she has her reasons,” MenouMaru replied icily. “What concern is if of yours, anyway?”
 
Kagome bristled at that, completely set on retorting with a hot remark. However, she didn't need to worry about it. Sesshoumaru cut in for her.
 
“It is her full concern,” he informed MenouMaru crisply. “Higurashi Kagome is soon to be a Takahasha - the mate of Inuyasha. I suggest you learn how to properly address her as such.”
 
MenouMaru regarded Kagome for a few seconds before a malicious grin stole across his face. “I see. I offer you my full congratulations.” With that, MenouMaru deemed her of no more importance and turned to face Sesshoumaru. “I have no more business here. I will take my leave as soon as what is mine is returned to me.”
 
Sesshoumaru held out his hand with the wallet but didn't make a move to walk across the hall to properly hand it to the other demon. MenouMaru set his jaw and stared back at Sesshoumaru. Kagome nervously looked between the two. The air was definitely tense. So much so that she was sure one of them would up and attack the other one. Both males were determined not to move and unless the damn wallet had sprouted either legs or wings, they would be standing there all day.
 
A full two minutes passed with both demons not giving in an inch and finally Kagome threw her hands up in the air in exasperation and trudged over to Sesshoumaru, yanked the wallet from his hand, and whirled to give it to MenouMaru. He took it without bothering to look at her, instead continuing his staring contest with the silver-haired demon.
 
“Men!” she exclaimed to herself as she stepped out of their line of sight. “I swear!”
 
MenouMaru completely ignored her but he did turn away from Sesshoumaru. “I shall be going now.” Without further ado, he opened the door and stepped through, closing it behind him.
 
Kagome shuddered. `That is one cre-e-e-e-epy dude,' she told herself.
 
“Now that that is out of the way, I do think that my parents would like to speak with you.”
 
“Oh.” Kagome blinked. “Oh, yeah. Um. . . do I have to?”
 
Sesshoumaru gave her a look that a parent would give a child throwing a temper tantrum. “I'm not going to make you, but I do believe it would be beneficial to your. . . relationship with my foolish younger brother.”
 
Kagome sighed in resignation before rolling her eyes. “Oh, I suppose it won't hurt,” she finally conceded.
 
“Then follow me.”
 
*
 
*
 
Inuyasha's ears twitched and he looked over at his door before he even heard the knock.
 
“Come in,” he hesitantly called in reply to the three raps at his door. He wasn't sure who would bother to knock, really, unless it was either his parents or a maid. He had asked everyone to leave him alone, so that eliminated the possibility of a maid and his parents had told him they were going to be slightly busy that day. So he was definitely floored as to who it was that was entreating entrance at his chamber door.
 
That is, until he caught a whiff of the scent. And then he wanted to blurt out that the person on the other side of the door was not welcome and that they could turn around and march away.
 
But he didn't have time to blurt anything.
 
And Kikyou walked in.
 
His amber eyes narrowed at her. “To what do I owe this pleasure?”
 
Kikyou jerked like he had struck him. “Can't I just come to see my best friend and see how he's doing?”
 
“You lost that privilege when you slept with MenouMaru,” Inuyasha told her stiffly. “And you stopped being my friend when you broke my trust.”
 
“I didn't- - -” She abruptly drifted off and looked down, crestfallen. “I really didn't do this to hurt you,” she whispered. “Please, Inuyasha, please. Please believe me. I love you. I swear I do. I wouldn't do anything to hurt you. I swear I wouldn't.”
 
Kikyou peeked up at him and hesitantly started taking a few steps towards him. When Inuyasha neither moved forward nor took a step backwards, she was encouraged and lengthened her steps towards him. “Inuyasha,” she murmured. She stopped right in front of him and looked up at him.
 
“I really do still love you,” she said softly. “I swear it. . .” Kikyou lifted a hand and went to touch Inuyasha's cheek but he jerked away from her before any contact was made like she would burn him.
 
“Kikyou,” he muttered levelly, “you have a mate now. And I have. . . I have someone I intend to make my mate. It's over. What we. . . had is gone.”
 
Kikyou's murky brown eyes searched Inuyasha's face. “I don't love him,” she whispered hoarsely. “Inuyasha,” she choked. “Please, please help? I don't love him.”
 
Inuyasha sighed, gently grabbed a hold of her wrists, and pulled them down to waist level. “There's no going back on demon mating. Didn't I tell you that countless times? It's not just a fling or a casual relationship. It's for life and you need to be exceedingly careful. I can't do anything to help you.”
 
Kikyou stared at the ground dejectedly. “So I'm stuck with him?” she whimpered. “I'm stuck with someone I don't even care for?”
 
Inuyasha grinned almost sardonically. “You cared enough for him to sleep with him, didn't you?”
 
“For you!” Kikyou burst, her voice cracking with tears. “It was for you! Everything I did was for you! Everything!”
 
He shook his head at her, frowning. “How does sleeping with someone help me? There's no logic in that. None whatsoever. Kikyou, I think it's time for you to be leaving.”
 
Kikyou jerked away from him. “He promised me he'd stop harassing you if I did it!” she cried. “I swear I did it for you! He was hurting you, Inu-kun. I. . .”
 
Inuyasha jerked at the new bit of information and Kikyou took that motion as encouragement to continue.
 
“I already told you I loved you. He said that if I did that - if I slept with him - then. . . he'd leave you alone.”
 
Inuyasha gave a resigned sigh and cupped her cheek with his hand. Kikyou's eyes fluttered shut and she leaned into the touch like a cat, enjoying every second of the contact.
 
“And you believed him?”
 
Her brown orbs snapped open and she looked at him in shock.
 
“You honestly believed anything he told you?” Inuyasha continued, disappointment at her clearly in his expression.
 
`You truly are a foolish girl.'
 
“Now it really is time for you to leave.”
 
Kikyou's lips trembled.
 
*
 
*
 
Kagome stared at the door, very much so intimidated.
 
“Do I have to?” she near about squeaked.
 
“No,” Sesshoumaru replied easily. “But it would be nice for you get to know your future in-laws, don't you think?”
 
Kagome `meep'ed and whirled to stare at him, wide-eyed. “In-laws?” she repeated dumbly.
 
Sesshoumaru lifted a brow at her. “Are you still playing dumb? You love my brother, yes?”
 
“What does- - -”
 
“And he plans to take you as his mate, yes?”
 
“I really think I should be having this conversation with Inuyasha first- - -”
 
“Besides, my parents would like to see you either way. My mother is grateful for your help with Inuyasha at his loony bin.”
 
Kagome sighed, wiping her face with her palm. “I really don't know why everyone insists on calling it a loony bin.”
 
“It's all part of the fun,” Sesshoumaru offered as he pulled open the large doors the led to Inutaisho's study. “Give my mother my best regards.”
 
Kagome stepped through the door. “You can give them to her yourself, you know,” she grumbled.
 
He chuckled. “How true that is.”
 
And then he closed the door on her, effectively closing her in with Izayoi and Inutaisho.
 
So Kagome marched over to where Inutaisho and her mate were reclining, hands balled into fists and muttering death threats and how `the baka was right he is a bastard what is his problem uuuurrrrg I'm gonna kill him if he doesn't I swear.'
 
“Good evening, Kagome.”
 
She paused in her ranting to look up and see a young-looking man that had the same silver hair as Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru as well as the same bright golden eyes.
 
She gave a small, polite bow. “You're Inuyasha's father, correct?” she hesitantly inquired.
 
The older man nodded at her. “Yes, I am Inutaisho Takahasha. I believe you already met my mate, Izayoi.”
 
Kagome turned her attention to the other woman and smiled cheerfully. “Yes, we've met.”
 
Izayoi returned the smile with a small laugh. “Please take a seat, Kagome,” she said. Kagome was once again floored at how Izayoi managed to have such a melodious voice but took up the offer. She sat in the black leather couch that Inuyasha was incredibly fond of and had to clench her hands to keep from twiddling her fingers in anxiety.
 
Inutaisho was quick to get to the point.
 
“How much do you care about my son?”
 
Kagome colored and stared at him, mouth hanging open and everything. “Eh- - -Ex- - -Excuse me?”
 
“What he means,” Izayoi interrupted, giving her mate a reprimanding look, “is how close are you with Inuyasha? How much do you know about him? And how much do you know about his heritage?”
 
Kagome titled her head slightly, not completely following her. “Well, to answer your questions in order, I suppose Inuyasha and I are pretty close. I mean, well, technically he's my boyfriend. I know a lot about him as well, I guess. Not everything, no. But I'm sure that I know a lot more than a lot of other people. And by his heritage. . . you're talking about the fact that he's half-demon?”
 
Izayoi looked over at her husband for a second and she smiled at him, silently telling him to stay quiet for a while.
 
“Not quite,” Izayoi replied, turning her attention back to Kagome. “But I am talking about his demon background. How much has he told you about youkai customs?”
 
Kagome shrugged. “We talked about them in passing.”
 
“There's one thing in particular that I wish to discuss with you,” the older woman said seriously. “And that's the mating ritual. Has Inuyasha told you anything about it?”
 
“Yes,” she answered slowly. “He's told me quite a bit about it. I know that once a demon or anyone with demon blood mates, it's for life. I'm not sure how the whole thing works, but he was very adamant about the fact that demons mate for life. That's why he didn't mate with Kikyou, right?” Almost immediately after finishing her last sentence she winced. She hadn't meant to bring up Kikyou.
 
Izayoi nodded. “Did you know that there's only one person in the entire world that can be Inuyasha's mate?”
 
Kagome paused before shaking her head.
 
“It's determined the moment a demon is born on who their mate is going to be. Do you know why?”
 
Kagome shook her head again.
 
“Think of it this way. When you're born, you're missing part of yourself. It's just not there. Like a missing piece of a puzzle. When a demon finds a mate, the mating process just about merges the two souls of the mates. And so, that empty part of your soul is filled with your mate's soul. But just like a puzzle, your soul has an intricate design and there's only one soul that can perfectly complete you. Understand?”
 
She nodded, fascinated by the whole aspect of it. The idea of having a soul mate was an idea that society played with, but having it be so literal was something completely different. Though she had to admit, it was really cute. . .
 
“If, by chance, a demon mates with someone who isn't their proper mate, that empty part of their soul won't be filled correctly. Simply put, it'd be like trying to jam a corner piece of a puzzle into the middle. It just won't work. And the souls of both of the mates will deject the other. Can you guess what happens then?”
 
Kagome licked her lips nervously. “It can't be anything good by the sounds of it, right?”
 
Izayoi nodded and sighed. “I'll let you ask Inuyasha about that. I just wanted to make sure you understood why the demon process is permanent. There's no going back once it's complete. I want you to keep that in mind. I know that Inuyasha has been thinking about mating lately with your appearance, but you should also be thinking about it. Okay?”
 
“Yeah, I get all that. Anything else?”
 
“Actually, if it's not too much trouble, sometime soon I'd like to have another one of these visits, only with Inuyasha here as well.”
 
That time it was Inutaisho that had spoken. Kagome looked over at him and grinned. “ I don't think that there's anything wrong with that. Anything else?”
 
“Nope.” Izayoi beamed. “That's all for now. We just wanted to make sure you knew about demon mating. We had to make sure that our future daughter-in-law knew what she was getting herself into.”
 
Even Inutaisho couldn't resist chuckling when Kagome sputtered something indignant and choked out a farewell before racing to the door, a scarlet hue dusting her cheeks.
 
His amused smile didn't waver as the door closed. He leaned back against his chair. “She's quite amusing.”
 
“Mm-hmm,” Izayoi cheerfully hummed in agreement. “I can see why she's his soul mate.” Her smile faltered and she sighed before crawling over to lean against Inutaisho. “But- - -”
 
“I know,” he assured her. “I sensed it.”
 
“She's a miko. Isn't it possible that she could purify him if- - -?”
 
“Anata,” Inutaisho interrupted. “Don't doubt the mating process. If she is his mate then it won't matter. And I don't doubt that she is.”
 
Izayoi closed her eyes and relaxed against him. “If you say so,” she mumbled.
 
He flicked her nose. “I'm always right. Do not doubt your mate.”
 
*
 
*
 
“Do you love her?”
 
Inuyasha knew the question was coming and looked right into her dark eyes and answered truthfully.
 
“Yes.”
 
And then he mentally cringed when her eyes grew watery and she stared at him through crystalline clear pools of tears.
 
“Why?” she asked softly, hoping that he would take it back; tell her he was joking; anything that would help ease the rift that had formed between them with time. “Why?” she repeated when he didn't answer right away. “Why?” she said again, more forcefully, louder. Sounding so much more desperate.
 
“Kikyou,” Inuyasha murmured instead, his eyes finally taking in her appearance. “What have you done?”
 
Kikyou covered her ears angrily. “I don't want to hear it anymore!” she exclaimed. “I don't care anymore! I told you I didn't do any- - -”
 
Inuyasha captured one of her wrists and slowly pulled it away from her ear. Despite her will to fight against him, she knew she would never be able to deny anything that he asked of her. “I didn't mean that,” he said softly. Then he opened his hand and looked at her arm. “Look what you've done to yourself.”
 
Kikyou looked down at her own arm, her dark eyes glazed over with resignation. Of course she had seen what had happened to her body over the past few months. She had lost her appetite; she had grown frail and pale; her bones protruded grotesquely from her skin; her ribs were very clearly evident beneath her shirt; her cheeks were sinking in and even her hair was losing its healthy sheen. Of course she knew what it all meant.
 
“Then help me,” she begged hoarsely. “Help me, please.”
 
Inuyasha laced his fingers with hers and yanked her arm very gently, causing her to stumble forward a step. He wrapped his other arm around her shoulders. “I can't, Kikyou. You did this to yourself, and there's no going back.”
 
“You mean you don't want to.” Her tone was dead and laced with her sadness.
 
He sighed and she felt his chest rise and sink under her cheek. “No, that's not what it means. No matter what, you're still my best friend and I care about you. It's not that I don't want to help - I can't.”
 
She closed her eyes and soothed herself by listening to the rhythmic beating of his pulse. She bit her lip to keep from whimpering.
 
Inuyasha sighed and kissed the top of her head before releasing her. “Kikyou, you really need to go now.”
 
The burning in the back of her throat and the threat of impending tears convinced her that he was right. But she managed to keep her tears at bay until she closed his bedroom door, at least.
 
*

*
 
Kagome fell against the door and grinned. “Hey, that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. You go, girl!” she cheered herself on.
 
“You know, my brother insisted that you weren't - as he put it - a loony tune, but keep talking to yourself and people will start to wonder.”
 
Kagome whirled in surprise. “Oh, it's just you,” she muttered dryly.
 
Sesshoumaru tilted his head slightly. “You sure don't seem very enthusiastic. Does my brother have that large of an influence over your reactions to me?”
 
Kagome laughed softly. “Alright, I'm sorry. You're right. There's no reason for me to treat you like the bastard that Inuyasha- - -”
 
Oh-em-geeeeeeeeeee!”
 
And then Kagome was glomped by a flying blur.
 
“Rin,” a very horrified Sesshoumaru called. “Please get off of our guest. You're embarrassing the entire Takahasha family when you do things like- - -”
 
“Oh, shut up, Fluffy-kins. You didn't bother to tell me that `the girlfriend' was here. I dun wanna hear a peep from you, got it?” Rin asked, tightening her grip on Kagome's neck.
 
“Rin, my dear, foolish little mate, you need to stop harassing our visitors and my brother,” Sesshoumaru informed her, offering his hand to help her stand.
 
Rin stared at his hand before giving a long-suffering sigh of exasperation and taking it. “Oh, fine.”
 
Kagome meekly sat up and looked up at the couple. “Um. . . hi?” she greeted the girl Sesshoumaru had addressed as `Rin.'
 
Said girl let out a squeal. “Oh-em-gee! She's so cute!”
 
Sesshoumaru had to grab onto the back of her shirt to keep her from glomping the living day lights out of the nurse again.
 
“What did we just talk about?” he chastised Rin gently, like a mother would a rebelling toddler.
 
Rin pouted. “No neck-molesting people,” she obediently replied.
 
“Very good,” her mate replied before flicking his eyes to Kagome. “This is my mate, Rin Takahasha. She's a bit. . . wild. I apologize for anything she may do right now as I have limited control over her. . . crazy antics.”
 
“Oh, you.” She pushed his shoulder playfully. “Always bragging about me, I see.”
 
Kagome watched the exchange with mild interest. She definitely didn't miss the way Sesshoumaru's eyes lit up around the. . . peculiar girl. Had she been one of those girly-girls, she would've gone `awww' at the couple. Even though Rin seemed to be a hyper girl while Sesshoumaru was laid back and indifferent, it was quite obvious that he cared a great deal for her.
 
And thinking about couples brought her mind back to Inuyasha. With every passing second, she found herself growing more and more anxious to see him. Though it had only been a day since she last saw him, she missed him sorely. Quite pathetic, but it was the truth.
 
Rin turned her attention back to the miko. “Anyway, it's a pleasure to finally meet you,” she chirped. “Inuyasha hasn't told us a whole lot about you, but everything he has told us was positive. But you're so much cuter than I thought you would be!”
 
Kagome wasn't sure whether that was an insult or compliment, but she had to laugh at Rin's cheerfulness. “It's good to see you, too,” she replied honestly. “I heard a little bit about you. Inuyasha called you a poor girl that got caught in `the bastard's' deceitful web.”

Rin looked up at her mate skeptically. “I'm still not sure why I love him,” she said playfully, face too serious to be sincere. “It's was either his charm or looks.”
 
Kagome snorted and Sesshoumaru looked at Rin with a raised eyebrow. “And here I thought it was because I'm the only one- - -”
 
Rin's eyes widened and her face flushed crimson. “Fluffy-kins!” she interrupted quickly. “It's best that we point Kagome in the direction of her own mate and let the two lovebirds catch up. Besides, I wanna go swimming!” Rin squealed at the thought before addressing Kagome. “Down that hallway there you'll see a flight of stairs. Go up them and Inuyasha's room is the seventh door on the left.”
 
Kagome blinked. “Okay. That works. Well, guess I'll see you around, Rin. . . Fluffy-kins.” She smirked at the nick-name.
 
The man who from that day on would never live down the nickname of Fluffy-kins gave her a dry look. “You and my brother are more alike than you may think.”
 
Rin tugged on his arm impatiently before whining, “Fluffy-kins, let's go or I'll sing at you!”
 
A look of pure horror flickered across his features. “Then let us be off.”
 
Rin squealed again before dragging him after her. “I'll talk to you later, Kag-chan!” she called over her shoulder as the two rounded a corner.
 
Kagome smiled and shook her head in slight wonder. Thankful for Rin's directions, she turned and started down the hallway. Along the way, she couldn't help but marvel at the many gorgeous paintings that dotted the creamy walls. Even the large marble staircase was extravagant. Its large gold railings twisted up and down for decorative purposes and Kagome found herself admiring them, fascinated.
 
When she reached the top of the staircase her eyes widened slightly as she took in the hall. It was just as beautiful as the rest of the house, but she noticed that the doors had a huge gap between them and she couldn't help but wonder how large the rooms were.
 
`Well, you're going to find out, aren't you?' she told herself before rolling her eyes, remembering Sesshoumaru's earlier comment about her sanity, and wondering just how insane she had to be to be talking to herself twice in the same hour.
 
She started counting the doors as she walked down the hallway, and as each door passed, she felt her bubble of excitement growing larger and larger. Before she realized what she was doing, she was grinning and jogging down the hall. Manners told her to stop and walk - it was rude to run in someone's house - but that little voice in her head was complaining that she wasn't running fast enough. The doors starting going by faster and when she counted the sixth one, she slowed her pace, ear-splitting smile still in place.
 
So caught up in her excitement, Kagome at first didn't see the figure hunched over, leaning against the wall.
 
She heard it.
 
Kagome froze when she heard the sob. It was sad and drenched in misery. Kagome started, slightly taken aback before peering at the woman more closely. The woman definitely looked familiar with long, straight, dark brown hair; a deathly pale complexion; and- - -
 
“Kikyou,” she whispered.
 
The woman jerked and Kagome's well-trained medical eyes easily picked up how sickly and frail Kikyou looked. She looked almost like she was- - -
 
Kikyou looked up at her and she froze - she hadn't known she started advancing toward the other girl - as those cold eyes looked at her with a hatred she didn't know was possible. She had never seen so much animosity from one person before. Her breath caught in her throat - both out of fear and pity - when Kikyou shoved herself off the wall, stumbled, rightened herself, and continued to glare at Kagome with an unfathomable fury.
 
“Kikyou,” Kagome finally said, holding out her hands and taking a hesitant step. “You're sick. You need to lie down or go to the hosp- - -”
“Don't.” Kikyou's voice was just as cold as her eyes and trembled slightly with restrained emotions. “Don't you dare say my name with such familiarity. Don't you dare think you're being any help by coming here, either. What do you plan on accomplishing?”
 
Kagome mentally cringed at the words that were coated with such venom. If nothing else, Kikyou's tone was enough to make her feel sick to her stomach. “I'm sorry. I just- - -” She cut herself off as the other woman started towards her. Kagome tensed, expecting a slap or some sort of physical hit. Instead, Kikyou stopped right next to her - and she couldn't help but feel relieved that their eyes were no longer locked.
 
“Inuyasha is mine. He will never be yours,” Kikyou said lowly by her ear. And then Kikyou made sure to slam her shoulder into Kagome's as she continued down the hall. The beautiful crystalline-blue eyes, trained to pick up the smallest signs of discomfort in the human body, noticed the way that Kikyou was trying not to limp.
 
She let out a breath she didn't realize she had been holding with a whoosh and her shoulders slumped. And suddenly, more than anything else- - -
 
Kagome wanted to kiss Inuyasha.
 
She stumbled toward the door and her hand had barely brushed the knob when the door opened and she was looking up at him.
 
He grinned at her and managed to say, “I sensed you com- - -” before she threw herself at him and wrapped her arms around his neck, effectively knocking the poor, unsuspecting boy right off his feet and planting her lips on his in a hungry, needy kiss.
 
He let out a surprised grunt but didn't offer any further resistance. Instead, he returned it fervently, nibbling on her bottom lip almost instantly for entrance which she granted instantly. His tongue entered her mouth to map it out and memorize every part of her - teeth, gums, palate, the curves of her tongue; every- - -
 
They jerked apart with a start, panting, with a small bridge of saliva keeping them connected. Kagome was sitting on top of Inuyasha, with her legs straddling his stomach, her arms still around his neck and he was leaning on his elbows to keep from laying flat on the floor.
 
“What- - -was that?” Kagome asked breathlessly between pants.
 
Inuyasha shrugged and breathed heavily for a few seconds before tensing.
 
“Whuh?” Kagome questioned, still filling her lungs with much-needed oxygen.
 
His eyes drifted shut as another shriek reverberated off the walls. “I smell blood,” he answered softly.
 
Kagome jerked again. “Are you sure?” she hesitantly asked.
 
Inuyasha didn't get a chance to reply.
 
Instead, another blood curdling shriek came from not-too-far down the hall.
 
“Miss Kikyou! Miss Kikyou collapsed!” The voice drifted off and in a slightly softer tone, the woman - probably a passing maid - muttered, “Oh god, oh god. She's bleeding everywhere. Oh god, oh god, I think she's
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
 
(E/N: Sorry it took me so long to edit this!!! I have been so busy getting ready for my trip to Japan and school work. Ok review thanks…)
 
Dead. Dying. Barely breathing. Sick. None of those?
 
Anyways. This chapter was slightly rushed. GOMEN! The ending was unexpected, even for me, but it still works out in the end, so it's all good. =D Next update date:
 
Saturday, April 5.
 
Thank you SO MUCH for 200 reviews!! -squeals like mad-
 
Ja ne!
 
P.S. “Anata” is literally “you,” but it can also be used as “darling,” like it was in this chapter when Inutaisho was talking to Izayoi. ^_^
 
P.P.S. Review?