InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A deal with a demon ❯ Chapter 1

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: Thank you all for dropping by to check out my newest fic! The idea came to me while I was writing a chapter for `A Sealed Fate'. I know, I know, the whole arranged marriage thing has been done before, but I'm hoping to add some of my own flavor!

I also want to say that while is this an AU story, I do try to keep the characters within their personalities. Of course I've taken a few liberties- tweaked and adjusted a few character traits to fit for modern times, but overall I try not to make it too OOC.

: )!

Kagome Higurashi stood in front of the mirror. She brushed back her long raven locks that swept down to her shoulders, taking care with each long stroke of the brush. The longer it took her to get ready, the longer she could stall.

She placed the brush down on her dresser and began to inspect the mascara she applied earlier. Her blue eyes looked dull today, almost grey. She was dreading this so badly that it was taking a physical toll on her body.

Her door creaked open and her mother stepped through.

“Oh Kagome! Don't you look lovely.” She said with a happy smile.

“Thanks mama.” She looked her daughter up and down. Yes, she had given birth to a truly stunning woman.

“Now dear, hurry up! The guests are waiting!” As she turned to leave, Kagome caught her mothers wrist.

“Mama…”

“Kagome?”

“Mama… Do I really have to go through with this?”

“Kagome... You know that this is not how I wanted things to go for you dear. But your grandfather is the head of the family, and we have to trust that he knows what he is doing. This will be an important connection for our family and the shrine. I know that this is a large sacrifice to make, but give it a chance darling.” She said, bringing her daughter in a warm hug.

“I know that the shrine needs this mama, its just… I always pictured getting married to someone I was in love with. I've never even met this guy before.”

Her mother let out a dejected sigh. “Kagome, love is over rated. I loved your father, and look how that turned out. We were very fortunate that father in law is a good and upstanding man.”

True, mama had married for love. She had been head over heels with her father, and they lived blissfully for the first ten years. To Kagome, it seemed as if her parents had the perfect relationship. Mother always welcomed him home warmly, and father would greet her with a long kiss. He would then sweep Kagome into his arms and throw Souta up in the air, making him squeal with delight. She had loved those days.

But then her father had stopped coming home. He no longer showered Mama with affection, no longer paid attention to his children. He had taken loans out against their home. He had gambled away their savings. He had almost left them homeless.

And Mama was prepared to forgive him. They had gotten him help for his addiction. They had stood by his side and attended counseling. They just wanted their daddy back.

But that was not what he wanted. Once he was able to battle his demons, he asked Mama for a divorce. He claimed it was an unhappy marriage with her that drove him to gamble. Mama, who waited on him hand and foot. Bragged about him and loved him despite his flaws, made him unhappy.

So, he left. He threw aside his old wife and children, to marry another woman and start fresh.

It had been hard to hold her head up during those years. She knew her classmates talked about her, gossiped at her misfortune. But she never let it show. She continued to be kind and have a warm smile. She would never let them know how deeply they wounded her.

Yes, perhaps Mama was right. Love is over rated.

As the shrine was in debt, she had made up her mind to go to college and find a career to pay it off. She wanted to take care of Mama financially so that way he would never be burdened again.

And if she agrees to this marriage, she was one step closer to completing her goal. The Takahashi's were rich. Filthy rich. This had been the selling point that mama had given her.

But that had not swayed her. She was determined to handle her family's problems on her own. But her gramps was insistent. She knew no one more stubborn than him. He arranged this engagement party without her consent! Everyone was waiting down stairs, expecting to see a glowing fiancée.

“Mama, I… I don't think I can go through with this.” She put her hand over her stomach. She felt ill.

“Kagome… just give it a chance. At the very least, go and meet the boy. Even if you accept this engagement, it is not as if you are being married on the spot. But you cant hide up here forever.”

“Yes Mama.”

Her mother exited her room and left Kagome alone again with her reflection. She smoothed down the front of her pink dress. It dipped lower in the front than she cared for, and stopped just above her knees. Her mother had picked it out just for the occasion. At the very least, she looked good.

Kagome reluctantly walked to the door and twisted the knob.

`Its now or never.'

~.~

“I don't know why we're fucking here, Myouga.”

“Master Inuyasha, I have told you time and again, this is your engagement party.”

“Ha, I told you I aint getting married, you old flea.”

Inuyasha sat in the back of the car fidgeting in his suit. How in the world had it come to this? Engaged? To some country bumpkin from a shrine? He could already picture what the girl looked like. He was a powerful handsome man. Women threw themselves at his feet. And he would have to be tied down to someone who he wouldn't even give a second glance too?

“If you want your share of your inheritance, then you will do as I say young master.”

“I don't know why its up to you. Im a damn adult now! I should be able to handle my money how I want.”

“You know very well your late father left the fate of your inheritance up to me. Besides, it is written I his will that you cannot receive your fortune until you marry. Your wise father left the task to me to find a suitable mate.”

“Then why not let me pick the woman if anyone will do?” The hanyou grumbled.

“Because your taste in woman I deplorable, young master.” He said with a sigh. “Honestly, your apartment is a revolving door of woman. You don't know them long enough to catch their name.”

“Hey, I have a girlfriend you know!”

“Ah yes, a girlfriend and a hoard of female friends that just need a place to sleep for the night.”

Inuyasha bared his teeth at Myouga.

“Why did it have to be this girl?”

“Your father always had a good relationship with Mr.Higurashi. From what I'm told, Mr. Higurashi and he were great friends. The shrine was very important to him, and it was always his wish that his family and theirs would somehow be connected.”

“Keh! As if my old man would ever be friends with a shrine priest. And if they were so close, how come I've never met them before.”

“But you have, young master! You were just very young. Mr. Higurashi has had much to deal with. His shrine is deeply in debt.”

“Keh! So that's why they jumped at the chance. I'm not surprised though.”

“Now, master Inuyasha. If you wish to gain your inheritance, then I suggest that you put on your most charming smile and woo your future bride. From what I hear, she is not too keen on this marriage either.”

That took him aback. Really. She was the one who didn't want to marry him?

“Whatever. Lets get this damned thing over with. The only reason I came here today is to tell this wench that the marriage is off.”

The hanyou exited the car with the screaming flea left behind.

~.~

Kagome walked around the crowd, scouting for a place to wait out the remainder of the party. She felt completely overwhelmed. She turned, looking for a server to get a drink. If she was going to get through this event she needed it. As she picked up the glass she locked eyes with the waiter.

“Hojo?”

“Higurashi?!” He asked excitedly. He eyed her up and down, causing Kagome to blush. “You look amazing! It's been so long since I've seen you. Are you doing well?”

“Yeah! Im at the university right now. And yourself?”

“Oh well I'm-“

“Excuse me, are you going to serve that or what?” A gruff voice said from behind. The hanyou had his arms crossed, with an expectant look on his face. He was annoyed enough that he had to be here. Now the wait staff was flirting with some broad? The least he could get was a damn drink!

The server moved to offer his apologies. When the annoying man stepped aside to give him the glass, he saw her.

She was gorgeous. She had black hair that cascaded down her shoulders. Large, doe eyes. HE was mystified by their color- a mixture of stormy grey and blue. And her body. Damn. Her long legs were featured by that pink dress. She had a narrow waist and curvaceous hips. The neck line on her dress had him salivating. And her scent- Gods he wanted to wrap himself in it. He pushed past the server. He had to talk to this woman. This damn engagement party may have become fruitful after all! He could dump his fiancée and bed this beauty.

“You shouldn't really talk to the help. You will get them in trouble.” He gave her a roughish smile.

“Oh, I didn't even think of that.” She shot Hojo an apologetic look. “Hojo, lets catch up soon!”

“Yes, please let me take you out for lunch-“

Inuyasha took Kagome by the elbow and led her away. He was done wasting time with that nuisance of a waiter. He wanted her to himself.

“Hey, wait a minute! What do you think you're doing?!”

“Taking you somewhere so we can talk. In private.”

Kagome pulled her arm out of his grasp. She raised an eyebrow as she studied him.

“And who says I want to go anywhere with you?”

“Well, don't you? I'm much more interesting than that guy. In fact, you should be thanking me. I got you out of a really dull situation.”

“Thanking you for being a rude jerk?” She asked, crossing her arms. Her scent spiked. He could tell she was angry. It just made him want her more. He wanted to provoke her to see just what other delicious scents she could tantalize him with.

“I'm the jerk? You're the one acting like a bitch.”

“Me? You pulled me out of a conversation with a friend who I haven't seen in years! Now I'm stuck talking to some arrogant stranger, when I could have been having a fine time with Hojo. This is the cherry on top of this miserable day.”

“Well its not like this day is my cup of tea either.”

Kagome raised an eyebrow at him considering his words. Why was he here?

“But your right, I am a stranger. Let get to know each other.” He said, leaning in.

Kagome backed away, raising her hands, trying to create a barrier between herself and the over confident hanyou.

“Uh, no thanks. I'm not interested. I have a boyfriend.”

“Wh-what? Not interested. In me?” He stammered out. He was shocked. This was his first time being rejected. Even the woman he hit on with boyfriends resonded when he flirted with them.

“Not if you were the last person on Earth. Excuse me, I have to go.” She turned and walked past the mass of people.

He stood frozen as she made her exit. He took his a claw and jabbed it into his arm. Was he dreaming? Was he really just turned down?

“Would Takahashi Inuyasha and Higurashi Kagome please make their way to the stage?”

Damn it. The one interesting person at this party and he let her get away. He fought his way to the stage. Its better that I get this over with now, and tell this dumb bitch Im not going to marry her. He climbed the steps and looked at the faces of people and demons gathered. He felt momentarily guilty that he was going to embarrass the girl in front of this many people.

He saw the mysterious beauty moving through the crowd. They parted for her, as if she was the one they were all waiting for. He watched as someone squeezed her arm as she walked by. He felt his temper flare. She let someone else touch her, but not him? She was coming awfully close to the steps.

He watched dumb struck as she ascended. She was Higurashi Kagome? His fiancée? His jaw dropped.

And she wanted nothing to do with him.

She lifted her head, as if it was the hardest thing to do, to take a glimpse of her soon to be fiancée. Their eyes met. She jumped at the recognition. Inuyasha had to bite his tongue from laughing at the look on her face. She was furious.

“Everyone, I thank you for coming to our humble shrine. The Higurashi's and the Takahashi's have long been friends with one another. This shrine was of great importance to the late Dog demon. I was lucky to count him as one of my good friends.” The old man chattered on. Inuyasha assumed this was her grandfather. She stood dutifully by his side, doing her best not to look his way. He couldn't help but stare at her. She was breath taking.

“It was always the hope of Inuyasha's father and my own that our families would one day be united. Now, I am pleased to announce the engagement of my beautiful granddaughter Higurashi Kagome and Takahashi Inuyasha!”

The old man stepped back taking his granddaughters beautiful slender hand in his. He walked to Inuyasha, and said quietly, “Your hand, please.”

He had come here for this moment. He had come all this way to this small shrine, to tell the woman Myouga had picked that he would not be part of an arranged marriage. He wanted his freedom and women, and the last thing he wanted was to be tied down.

But maybe he could make it work, if it was with this one. She was damn gorgeous. And feisty. Being so close to her right now, he could smell her sweet scent. Wild flowers. He could get used to that smell.

And who was to say he couldn't have other women? Didn't the wench say she had a boyfriend? And Myouga, hell, he said she didn't want this either! He looked her up and down, and gave her a wide grin, showing his dangerous fangs. In that moment, Kagome thought he looked like a predator.

He stretched out his palm and waited for the old man to place Kagomes hand in his.

“Mind the claws, young man.” He said in a low tone. Inuyasha curled his fingers around hers, noting how her body stiffened.

Yes, he was going to like this. He was never one to shy away from a challenge.

“Its my privilege to present to you, the new couple! Let us all wish them love and luck!” The old man cried and the applause and cheers of the crowd deafened the hanyou.

Inuyasha smiled at the adoring group of people. He was in a good mood. He was going to make that feisty woman his. Inuyasha Takahashi always got what he wanted.