InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A deal with a demon ❯ Chapter 42

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Kagome was exhausted. As she walked up the hill to her house, the only thing she wanted to do was take a shower, bury her head in her hands and cry. She had done her best to put up a barrier between her and Inuyasha, and in one night, the entire thing was blown.

She wasn't sure what he was going to say, how he was going to justify himself for treating her so badly. Toying with her emotions. Letting his- girlfriend?- talk like that about her…

But she had the sinking feeling that she would believe it. She was no match for him. When he looked at her with those amber eyes… she couldn't help but want to believe him.

He looked desperate and honest when he demanded that she listen to him. He looked scared and fed up.

Inuyasha had a car sent for them. When they had almost reached the house, she asked to walk the rest of the way. She needed fresh air. She needed to stretch her muscles.

She needed to think.

Inuyasha had reluctantly nodded, then said he would be back soon. He was going to grab something for them to eat.

Why was he so thoughtful? Why, if he only put up with her for the sake of his money, would he go out of his way to do this?

Kagomes questions were cut short.

Hojo was waiting for her.

“Kagome!” He shouted, racing down to meet her.

“Hojo, what are you doing here?”

“I was supposed to pick you up at Sangos-“

Kagome closed her eyes and groaned.

“Sorry.”

“She told me that he came to pick you up last night and she hasn't been in touch with you. I was worried-“

“Feh, what in the hell were you worried for? Shes MY wife.” The hanyou suddenly appeared, crossing his arms over his chest. He looked opposing. Demonic.

“Stay away from Kagome.” He said, puffing out his chest.

He had to give that wimp credit. Other guys would have cowered in fear. This moron was trying to stand his ground. Did he actually think he was intimidating?

It didn't matter. Any threat to his mate was one to be taken seriously.

“You want to repeat that, brat?” He snarled.

“Inuyasha, please-“

“Kagome, get away from him. I came here today to take you away.”

“Take me away?” She murmured, furrowing her brow. Was she actually hearing this, or was her mind playing tricks on her from drinking so much?

“Think again asshole.” The hanyou snarled, seeing red. “Kagomes not going anywhere with you. Shes mine.”

“Hey, I-“

He had actually said it. Mine. Kagome was HIS.

“The only reason Kagome stays here with you is because she would feel too burdened to leave. She doesn't want to be responsible for making you lose your fortune. That doesn't make her yours.”

“Don't talk about shit you don't know about.” Inuyasha said, showing his teeth.

“Come on guys, this is crazy-“ She stepped in between them, holding her hands up in a gesture of peace.

“Im taking Kagome with me.” Hojo stated bravely, pulling her to his side.

“Kagome… forget about him… this entire thing is a disaster. You shouldn't be chained to someone who doesn't love you.”

“Hojo-“

“Hes only using you. I love you Kagome. Please, come with me.”

Hojo had such honest brown eyes. He was a good man. He was a safe man.

Hojo was kind and steady and did his best to make her happy.

He would continue to do his best.

She looked at him, full of hope and passion burning in those eyes.

Before she could answer, she was pulled from his grasp.

“Kagome is MINE.” The dog demon seethed. His eyes looked blood shot, his fangs longer. He brought her body close to his, holding her tightly. “If you so much as look her way again, I promise Ill break your fucking neck. Don't ever let me catch you near her again.”

Inuyasha leapt on the roof, before making his way into the trees. His demon was fighting him, fighting for control.

He was being threatened. His mate was being touched.

He had to get out of there.

He had to get Kagome as far away as possible.

~.~

“Inuyasha, when are we going to stop?” She screamed at him. They had been running for what seemed like hours. At first she had been slung over his shoulders. When she had screamed so loud his ears flattened against his head, he rearranged her into his arms.

By now, she just went along for the ride.

It had been thrilling, leaping from tree to building to tree. So thrilling that she had almost forgotten about her predicament.

Almost.

She watched as the city disappeared behind her. Now they were running somewhere in the woods. She was astounded by the beauty of it, the openness of nature.

When they finally landed, she took a look around. The sun would be setting soon, casting a golden glow over everything. The landscape was breath taking.

“I didn't know Japan had a place like this…” She said.

“Japan doesn't. This is mine.”

“Huh?” She turned to face him.

“This belongs to the Takahashis. We secured land a long time ago. Sometimes demons just need to… run. And be closer to nature.”

“Oh… I see.” She bit her bottom lip. “I can understand that.” She said in a low voice. She shook her head, clearing her thoughts.

“Inuyasha, you cant just kidnap me because Hojo is there! Hes my, hes my boyfriend!”

The hanyou growled.

“Fuck him. If he knows whats good for him he will run with his tail between his legs.”

“Hes a good guy. He doesn't deserve that.”

“I don't know why youre getting so upset. Its not like you even like him.” He shot, crossing his arms.

“How would you know how I feel?!” She said.

“Feh, Ive seen you more aroused looking at a bowl of oden. You don't feel anything for that wimp.”

Kagomes jaw dropped. Her eyes widened.

“Youre one to talk! What the heck is all this `mine' nonsense, when you have a girlfriend? Shouldn't you be kidnapping her and dragging her all over Japan?”

“Its not nonsense. You. Are. Mine.” He said, instantly regretting and hating himself with every word.

This wasn't how he wanted it to go. He wanted to be gentle. He wanted to be honest and talk things out.

Why couldn't the wench ever do things according to plan? Why did she have to rile him up?

“Oh please. I don't belong to anyone.”

“Feh. Your my wife.”

“Only until your girlfriend finds a loophole, dog boy.” She said matter of factly.

“Kikyo is NOT my girlfriend. She- she-“ He ran a clawed hand through his hair. “Will you listen?” He ground out between clenched teeth.

“I don't know what you think its going to change.”

“Just-“ he tried to calm himself down. He had one opportunity to not blow this.

Worse than he already was.

“Just listen to what I have to say. With an open mind. Okay?”

Kagome looked at him. His body was tense. Like he was holding so much in. He looked like he was struggling to articulate his feelings.

It was his eyes that gave it away. They looked fierce with passion. It seemed like whatever he had to say… he meant it…

Kagome bit her lip and nodded her head silently.

“Good.” He took a deep breath, wondering where to begin. “I- At first, I felt those things. I thought you were annoying and in the way. I admit that. I didn't want to be friends with you. I didn't want you to come near me.”

He picked up the slight smell of salt. She was trying to hold back tears. It felt like a slap in the face.

“But then I got to know you. I got to spend time with you and see what you were like. I wanted to be around you. When you weren't near me, you were always on my mind. I never had that happen before. I- I didn't know how to handle it. Ive never liked a woman before.”

Kagome looked at him with wide eyes. He could hear her heart pounding in her chest. He wished he could stop there.

“And then a few months back… FUCK this is hard.”

“Just say it, Inuyasha.”

“A few months back… I noticed that Kikyo was changing. We were only sort of dating. She was the only woman who was `steady'. But I didn't love her. I hardly liked her. We saw each other based on a mutual… understanding.”

He watched as Kagomes face turned up into one of disapproval. It hurt to see her like that.

“When she found out we got married she started to crack. I didn't notice it at first… It wasn't until…. She called me and I ignored her… I wanted to spend time with you… She… damn it. She slit her wrists.”

“Oh my…” Kagome breathed out.

“That wasn't the worst of it.” Inuyasha winced. “When I found out, I went to see her. She told me that.. that she was pregnant.” He swallowed hard. “With my baby. She said when she … did that… it caused her to miscarry.”

“Oh my gods… Inuyasha…” Kagomes hands flew to her mouth. Tears were streaming down her face.

Inuyasha shook his head.

“Don't get too worked up. Its sad… but it was all a lie… mostly. I talked to her sister Kaede…. She was never pregnant. I guess she's had problems like this her whole life. She made up some pretty devastating lies when she was a child. When she was in high school she tried this exact same thing…and then in college something similar… But she had been `well' for a few years. When we got married she started to slip… she became delusional and started to imagine things. She was never carrying my child. She only thought she was. Which kind of makes the whole thing sadder.”

He glanced a look at Kagome. She looked weak.

“So- So even knowing that, I felt like it was my fault. I felt partly to blame. The doctors asked me to stick around for a little while, to work with her while she was in recovery. They said I was an important part in it. It was fucking difficult to be around her. She wasn't the same woman she was before. She was colder and mean spirited. She was never a ray of sunshine but she was never fucking hateful. She hated you so damn much. I… I was afraid she was going to hurt you. She was causing you pain and I felt so damn torn. I had to stop by and see her almost every day. I didn't want to… but shes out of her mind. For months I beat myself up. Then after that, I felt anger. I was stuck being with her. And like I said, we were never that close. The day at the office- I wanted to chase after you so badly. She told me that if I stopped you I'd regret it. I had no idea what she would do. I don't know if she'd hurt herself or try to hurt you.”

“Why wouldn't you tell me?” She said in disbelief.

“I was ashamed.” He shrugged. “I-I didn't want you to look at me. Like you are now.” He swallowed hard.

Kagome cast her eyes down to the ground.

“Don't you think I, of all people would understand? Im a doctor. I deal with people like Kikyo every day. I do clinical research and rounds and Ive done rotations in the psych wing. Don't you think I would understand someone who is ill?

“I was afraid.” He said honestly.

“Afraid?” She repeated.

“That once you found out, you would run away. You wouldn't want to continue being with me… Make any more progress. I-I couldn't have that. I couldn't stand it.”

“I don't really understand Inuyasha…” She said, trying to sound stronger than she was.

“I don't want to be with her.” He said firmly. “I never wanted to be with her. That day at the office, I wasn't even listening to a thing she said. I- I was wrapped up in thinking about you.” He blushed.

“Me?”

“In case you'd forgotten, we had just spent the night together, woman. What else would have been on my mind?”

Kagome let out a noise that sounded similar to a squeak.

“I looked for you everywhere.” He growled. “It was like you fucking disappeared. And when you came back- it was like you came back and put up a wall.”

“What did you expect me to do?” She asked, her voice small. “Do you know how awful I felt? How utterly crushed I was?” Kagome tried to look anywhere but his eyes. “I- I get it now- Why you couldn't chase after me, or tell me what was going on- but Gods, I felt so low. I liked you so much. I didn't want to, Gods I didn't want to. But I did- I do- I- I don't-” She covered her face in her hands.

He reached out to her, his hand shaky. When he finally made contact, he pulled her flush against his body.

“Im sorry Kagome.” He said, cupping the back of her head.

“I dont understand Inuyasha. What is it your saying? What is it your trying to get at?”

He turned her chin up to look at him. Absent mindedly, she bit her lip in anticipation.

Gods he loved that about her.

He leaned down, slowly, to capture her. He glanced at her, he needed to see her reaction. When he felt the softness of her pink lips, her eyes fluttered closed.

He held her, gently kissing her, trying to pour all of his emotions into it.

“I want to hear you say it. But only if you mean it, Inuyasha. I- If you say it, I'll trust you.” She looked at him, waiting on baited breath.

“I like you Kagome.” He rumbled out, kissing her neck. “I love you.” He nipped at the juncture near her shoulder. “You're mine.”

A/N:: Two in one day! The writing bug really hit me hard! I am really, really nervous about putting out this chapter. I may in the future come back and rewrite it. I had about 3 different ways that they could have reconciled, but this one seemed the best. Anyway, let me know how you guys like it! If it doesn't seem to hit the right cord, I can always do an edit! And thank you once again to the reviewers! Im always thrilled to hear from you!