InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Feudal Family ❯ Happy Eighteenth ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was a beautiful Monday morning in Tokyo. The sun was shining, birds were singing and a gentle breeze rustled through the leaves of an ancient tree on the grounds of the Higurashi Shrine. Here, a young woman named Kagome lived with her mother, her grandfather, her brother Sota, and her cat Buyo. Kagome had long raven hair and beautiful brown eyes. Unlike most ordinary girls, Kagome had a secret that she kept well guarded for three years: she could travel back and forth between present day Japan and the Feudal era by jumping into a hidden well on her family's shrine. Kagome was very excited today because it was her birthday; she was finally turning eighteen. As soon as she woke up, she got out of bed and looked out the window, stretching.
“Such a nice day! And since I'm out of school for good, that makes it even nicer!” she said happily to herself. She made her way over to her bureau and picked out a cute summer-dress with orange flowers on it, got undressed, and put it on. She tied her long hair back in a ponytail and picked up her backpack running out of the room and descending the stairs.
Her family greeted her at the kitchen table.
“Happy eighteenth birthday, Kagome!” they said in unison. Kagome smiled and thanked them, hastily eating her breakfast. Mrs. Higurashi laughed.
“Slow down, dear,” she said playfully.
Kagome guzzled her orange juice and shook her head, saying, “Mom, I promised Sesshomaru I'd be there by ten o' clock! And it's already quarter of!” cried Kagome desperately. Sesshomaru was a full-fledged dog demon from the Feudal era with long silver hair that reached his knees, wore a fluffy over his right shoulder at all times, and had beautiful amber eyes. He was Kagome's boyfriend and the older brother of her ex-boyfriend, Inuyasha, a half-demon.
Kagome's brother, Sota laughed. “She just wants to go back there because they're going to get all mushy!” Kagome glared at him.
“Sota, knock it off!” she demanded, exasperated. Sota crossed his arms, a triumphant expression on his face.
“Just because I'm eleven now doesn't mean I'm stupid ya know! Whenever you go to the Feudal era, you always bring some kind of short-skirted dress with you, and it's not your school uniform! You never did that when you were with Inuyasha!” he stated.
Kagome's face flushed.
“Okay, so I love the guy! So what? You love that little girl, Hitomi, right?” prodded Kagome. Now it was Sota's turn to blush.
“Um, yeah, well… at least we don't kiss all the time!” he countered. This comment made Kagome's grandfather almost choke on his piece of toast. Kagome just rolled her eyes and placed her dishes in the sink.
“Well, I gotta get going. I'll see you all in a few days.” With that, Kagome bolted out the door and headed to the shrine well. As she ran, she took hold of the large jewel on the necklace she was wearing and looked at it with a smile. The jewel was the Sacred Jewel of Four Souls, a treasure that could increase a demon's power immensely. If it wasn't for this jewel, I wouldn't be able to go 500 years back in time to see Sesshomaru and the others.