InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Feudal Family ❯ Korari's Unique Power ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Once outside, Sesshomaru placed Korari down on the grass and watched as she began frolicking around the area; she seemed glad to be outside again. Kagome giggled.
“Well, that's one cat who loves the great outdoors,” she noted. Korari is so much like Kirara… The resemblance is unbelievable.
To confirm Kagome's observations even further, Korari did something that was shocking to even Sesshomaru and Jaken. In a flash of lightning, Korari transformed! She was no longer a small, loveable cat anymore; she was a large demon cat with two dagger-like fangs protruding from her upper jaw. Taking a good estimate, Kagome guessed that Korari was about four-and-a-half feet tall at the shoulder and about six to eight feet long from the tip of her nose to the tips of her two tails when she was in her larger form.
Korari's transformation left Jaken stunned. “Th-that feline! She was no more than a harmless little cat demon a moment ago, but now she's enormous!” he exclaimed, his eyes wide.
Sesshomaru sighed and walked over to Korari, standing beside her with his left hand resting on her top of her head. Korari let out a small hiss and nuzzled her head against his hand, her big green eyes closed and a cat-like grin on her face.
“Don't be such a fool, Jaken… Korari isn't as vast as me when I'm in my demon form… If you can put up with looking at me as a giant dog demon, you should have no trouble around Korari…” he said matter-of-factly.
Jaken, realizing that Sesshomaru had a point, nodded and kept quiet. He stared at Korari as though she would pounce on him and swallow him whole.
Sesshomaru removed his hand from Korari's head and stepped aside, leaning against the side of his castle. He glanced over at Kagome and asked, “Kagome, I believe you want to play with Korari, correct?”
Kagome nodded. “Uh-huh.” She ran up to Korari and wrapped her arms around her neck, hugging her.
Korari let out a soft growl and turned her attention to Kagome. Moving her snout closer to Kagome's face, Korari licked her new master's cheek a few times, her tails wagging. Kagome heard Rin and Sesshomaru chuckle because of Korari's actions.
Kagome laughed and stroked Korari's head. “Korari, ha-ha, cut it out! That tickles!”
Korari obeyed and stopped licking Kagome, freeing herself from the woman's arms. She backed away and gazed at her expectantly.
Kagome walked up to Korari, a curious look in her eyes. She had a feeling of what Korari wanted but she wasn't sure.
“What is it, Korari?” she asked. She saw the cat demon look at its own back then back at her and realized immediately what Korari wanted. She smiled and climbed onto Korari's back, holding onto the long fur around the feline's neck. She hunched herself over a little bit to keep her balance.
Rin gasped excitedly and looked at Sesshomaru, an eager expression on her sweet face. She clasped her hands in front of her, as if she were praying, and said Sesshomaru's name to get his attention.
Sesshomaru turned his head so he could see Rin. “Yes?”
“May I go for a ride with Kagome-san? Ple-e-e-e-ease?” begged Rin, an insistant look in her eyes.
Seeing the expression on Rin's face, Sesshomaru nodded, a small smile on his lips.
“Of course. Go along with her,” he permitted. Rin cheered and ran up to Kagome and Korari.
“Kagome-san, may I ride on Korari's back with you?” she asked.
Kagome nodded. “Yes you can. Up you get.”
Since Rin was still too short to climb on Korari's back by herself, Kagome lifted her up onto the cat demon's back. Sitting behind Kagome, Rin wrapped her arms around the woman's waist.
“Okay, I'm ready,” she announced, firmly holding on to Kagome's waist.
Kagome smiled and said, “Make sure you hold onto me while we're up in the air, Rin. Cat demons can fly really fast and I don't want you falling off of Korari's back.”
Rin said she understood and a few minutes later, Korari leaped into the air, her legs and paws beating the air in such a way that it looked as if she were running.
A small scream escaped Rin and she looked down, watching the ground as it became further away. Soon, all that was visible was the roof of Sesshomaru's castle, the tops of trees, and the mountains.
“This is incredible!” screamed Rin over the sound of the wind rushing past.
Kagome laughed, her long black hair whipping behind her. “Yes it is! I'll bet that Ah-Un has never flown this high up before, right Rin?”
“Right! He can fly pretty high and pretty fast, but he never does when I'm with him!” answered Rin truthfully.
Kagome hunched her upper body low against Korari's fur. “Korari, slow down a little bit, okay? I can hardly breathe.”
Korari, seeming to understand, slowed her pace. Sure enough, Kagome and Rin were finding it a lot easier to breathe now.
After several minutes of gliding above the castle, Kagome asked Korari to land. A few minutes later, thick dark-gray clouds began rolling through the skies, covering everything in shadow.
Sesshomaru, who was still on the ground looking up at the three of them, saw the massive clouds and got to his feet, a serious expression on his face. A strong gust of wind blew through the area, buffeting him full force and blowing his hair all around him. Is this Korari's doing?
Rin looked around, a little frightened about the nearby rumbles of thunder. “Um, Kagome? What's going on?”
Kagome shook her head, staring at the clouds.
“I'm not sure,” she stated truthfully. Korari dove towards the ground, just as Kagome asked. The thunderclouds seemed to follow her wherever she went and it was then that Kagome began noticing exactly what was going on; this was no ordinary thunderstorm. She felt some small static discharges coming from Korari's fur and knew that it must've been she who was causing the thunderstorm. She realized that the thunderclouds appeared right after she asked Korari to land and decided to see if her theory was correct.
“Korari, can you go a little faster? I really want to be on the ground now. Don't get me wrong, I already love flying with you,” she said, smiling.
Korari, really not wanting to land yet, let out a roar of protest. As soon as the roar escaped her throat, thunder crashed and a bolt of lightning shot through the sky, splitting it in two. Rin screamed at the loud and sudden sound, clinging to Kagome tightly; not just because she was scared, but because she also didn't want to fall off of Korari's back, which was very possible because of how fast the demon cat was going.
Kagome was correct after all. She laughed out loud and stroked the side of Korari's neck, placing a gentle kiss on the feline's head. “It's okay, Korari, I didn't mean to make you upset. It's just that I can only stay in the air for so long before having to take a break. Please don't be mad at me.”
Understanding Kagome's words, Korari let out a small sound and the small static discharges her fur was emitting disappeared, and so did the thunderclouds. The sky was back to its normal light-blue color mixed with the smudgy white of the clouds. Forgiving Kagome for wanting her to land so soon, Korari descended swiftly towards the ground.
“Korari, I was just joking when I asked you to go a little faster. You can go slower,” allowed Kagome.
Korari did as she was told and slowed down.
Kagome looked over her shoulder to see if Rin was okay and smiled when she saw that she was still on Korari's back. “Hey, are you alright, Rin?”
Rin nodded. “Yeah, I'm fine. That was just a little scary for me, that's all. I've never seen a thunderstorm like that appear out of nowhere before.”
“It didn't appear out of nowhere, Rin. I know where it came from,” mentioned Kagome.
“Really? Where did it come from, Kagome?” asked Rin curiously.
“I'll tell you when we're back on the ground with Sesshomaru and Jaken.”
When Korari landed gently in front of the castle, Kagome and Rin climbed off of her back, stumbling a bit from the disorientation of standing on solid ground after being in the air for so long.
“That was some ride,” said Rin, laughing. Kagome nodded.
“Yes, it was. I'm glad you enjoyed it.” She walked up to Sesshomaru, who was standing there watching them.
“I assume that you saw the thunderstorm?” she inquired.
Sesshomaru nodded his head, looking over at Korari as he spoke. “Yes, I did. I believe it was Korari who caused it, correct?”
“Yeah. Unlike Kirara, she isn't of the fire element; she's of the thunder element.”
This left Rin confused greatly. She walked up to Kagome and Sesshomaru, a questioning look on her face.
“What're you saying? You mean that the thunderstorm was Korari's doing?”
Kagome indicated her agreement with a small bob of her head. “That's right. You see, Rin, the world is made up of elements; one of which is electricity, or lightning. Korari has that element within her body.”
Sesshomaru put in his own comment. “Indeed. And I presume that whenever she gets upset or angry, she lets out her power and creates a thunderstorm.”
Kagome smiled, gazing at Sesshomaru with admiration. “That's exactly what I think.” Sesshomaru smiled.
Rin made a small sound of amazement, looking over her shoulder at Korari; the demon cat let out a small roar and in a bright flash of lightning, she was back to her smaller size. She trotted up to Rin, rubbing against her legs with her eyes closed.
Rin giggled and picked Korari up, hugging her against her chest. “You are one amazing cat, yes you are.”
Korari closed her eyes and purred.
Kagome smiled and patted Rin on the head. “I think Korari is tired from all that flying. We should bring her into the castle and put her in my room so she can sleep.”
Rin agreed. “Good idea. I'll go put her on your bed and close the door if you want.”
“Of course. Go ahead.” Kagome placed her hand on the sleeping demon cat's head and stroked the soft fur. “Goodnight, Korari.”
Sesshomaru watched Rin as she headed towards the castle door and said to her, “Rin, Kagome and I need some time alone for a little while.”
“Okay, Lord Sesshomaru, I'll stay inside until you come back.”
Jaken caught Sesshomaru looking at him and got the message, following Rin into the castle.
Rin ascended the stairs up to the second floor of the castle, Jaken following close behind her. A question was tugging at the back of her mind and she couldn't stand it anymore; she needed answers. Finally, she spoke.
“Master Jaken, do you know why Sesshomaru-sama and Kagome-san want to be alone with each other all the time?” she asked curiously.
“The only thing I'm going to tell you is that adults prefer to be alone more than children do. It's none of our business what they do when they're by themselves,” replied Jaken. Rin nodded, understanding what Jaken meant, and continued down the hall to Kagome's room.
When she got to the right room, she put Korari inside, closed the door, and walked back to her room to play. Jaken went back into his room as well. He was going to take a nap: a long nap.