InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Feudal Family ❯ The Big Question ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sesshomaru slid open the door to his bedroom after being bombarded with questions from Jaken on how he got his wounds and more questions from Rin if there was anything she could do to help him. After answering them, he and Kagome were relieved to be safely behind the door to Sesshomaru's room, shielded from any disturbances.
Sitting on the floor, Sesshomaru began undressing his upper body, revealing his serious wounds to Kagome. And they were very severe indeed. Each one of the them was bleeding persistently, the blood dripping from his body and onto the wood floor or his pants, leaving gruesome puddles or spots of crimson.
Sesshomaru placed his hand over his wounded right arm, trying to slow the bleeding on his own. He flinched because of the pain, closing his eyes and quickly taking his hand away, not believing how agonizing it was. He had endured hundreds of wounds during his long life, but none as painful as this. The spiritual energy that had surrounded the arrow when it grazed his arm had ensured that the wound would heal slower than a normal wound would.
As Kagome was preparing herself to heal Sesshomaru, she heard him make a small sound and looked up at him. She crawled over to him, worried.
“How bad is the pain? Bad?” she inquired.
Sesshomaru opened his eyes slightly, peering at Kagome from under his long eyelashes. “That's an understatement… The pain is excrutiating…”
Kagome frowned and said, “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru… I shouldn't have put my powers around the arrows… If I hadn't, your wounds wouldn't be so painful…”
“It's alright, I'm the one who told you not to hold back, so it's my fault,” corrected Sesshomaru. “Please, Kagome, heal me… A demon though I may be, I feel weak from my loss of blood… I'm not certain if it is because of the blood loss or the spiritual energy that was in your arrows, but my vision is becoming blurry…”
As much as Kagome wanted to make Sesshomaru well again, there was one problem.
“Sesshomaru, even if I manage to heal your wounds, the spiritual powers that I have to use might harm you rather than cure you,” stated Kagome warningly.
Sesshomaru considered his options carefully. He could either have Kagome bandage his wounds to try to slow the bleeding, wait for them to heal on their own and risk bleeding to death, or have Kagome attempt healing him with spiritual powers. Heaving a sigh, he made his choice.
“Use your new healing power to treat me, Kagome… There is no other option available to me,” he pleaded, a hint of fear in his voice. He was a little afraid because he wasn't sure what effect Kagome's healing power would have on a demon like himself.
Kagome heard the fear in Sesshomaru's voice and asked about it. She didn't receive a reply. Sighing, she held up her hands, placing them both on Sesshomaru's chest. She felt Sesshomaru shiver under her fingers and questioned, “Am I hurting you?”
Sesshomaru shook his head, closing his eyes and allowing his body to relax and loosen up a bit. “No, you're not hurting me… Carry on…”
“Okay. But if this hurts, let me know.” With that, Kagome closed her eyes and put a small amount of spiritual power into her hands, a pale-blue light surrounding them. The light engulfed Sesshomaru, making it seem like he was the one that was glowing, not Kagome's hands.
Sesshomaru felt a strange sensation run throughout his entire body; it felt as though icy-cold water was being poured over his wounds, and it felt somewhat soothing. All of a sudden, he was feeling more relaxed than he ever had in his entire life. He didn't know why, but assumed it had something to do with the healing spell. Every muscle in his body seemed completely relaxed, as though a weight had been lifted off them. The pain from Sesshomaru's wounds was vanishing as well.
Kagome watched as the three wounds on Sesshomaru's body stopped bleeding and sealed up. Deciding not to stop the spell unless the wounds were healed completely she asked, “Sesshomaru, are you feeling anymore pain?”
Sesshomaru shook his head slightly, replying, “No, I'm not… Thank you, you can stop now…”
Not needing to be asked twice, Kagome removed her hands from Sesshomaru's chest, the pale-blue aura around the demon lord disappearing. Her eyes widened when she saw that there was no trace of a wound left on Sesshomaru.
Sesshomaru glanced at the places where he had been hit with Kagome's arrows and was shocked as well as impressed at the fact that no scars had been left behind in the healing process. He smiled appreciatively at Kagome and placed his right hand on her shoulder.
“It seems your spiritual powers did not harm me that time… Why that is, I don't know, but it matters not… I'm grateful to you,” he said politely, smiling charmingly at Kagome.
Kagome smiled and blushed lightly. “Don't mention it, I'm glad I was able to help. Anyway, you should rest for a bit, you seem tired so I'll leave you alone.” Standing up, she made her way over to the door.
Sesshomaru stopped her from going further by sending his whip of light towards her, having it wrap firmly around her waist.
Kagome looked down at her waist and the whip, her eyes wide. “W-what?!” Before she could say anything more, she found herself being pulled quickly towards Sesshomaru, losing her balance and falling into his lap.
Sesshomaru's whip disappeared and he wrapped his arms around Kagome's waist, whispering to her, “It's alright, I don't mind you in here… You can stay if you'd like.” After he said this he heard Kagome mutter something that sounded like, Are you sure?
“I'm positive…” The tone in his voice was very sensuous and it made Kagome's cheeks turn bright pink. She squirmed a bit and tried to get off of Sesshomaru's lap. But the more she moved, the grip Sesshomaru's arms had around her waist got firmer.
“Sesshomaru, why are you talking like this? It's not like you…” she mentioned, looking over her shoulder at Sesshomaru. The look she saw on his face was that of anxiety.
Loosening his grip around Kagome's waist, Sesshomaru lifted Kagome up slightly and moved her off his lap, so they were sitting directly in front of each other. He held both of Kagome's hands in his, gazing deep into her eyes.
“Kagome… I have asked you this before, but we were unable… However, if you don't want to, I'll understand,” he muttered to her, not taking his eyes off her.
“What do you want to ask me?” questioned Kagome, though she had a feeling she knew what the big question was going to be.
“Kagome Higurashi, will you be my mate?” asked Sesshomaru, moving even closer to Kagome. He could hear his own heart beating faster than normal, and knew it was anxiety that was making it thus.
Kagome felt tears of happiness roll down her cheeks and pulled her hands out of Sesshomaru's, falling against him and throwing her arms around him. She was overjoyed that Sesshomaru asked her to marry him. He had asked her once before when she was fifteen, but she was not old enough back then to get married. But now, she was.
“Yes, Sesshomaru, yes! Of course I will!” she cried, shining tears streaming from her eyes.
Sesshomaru wrapped his arms around her, locking her in a passionate embrace. At that moment, nothing else mattered except Kagome.
“Kagome… are you certain? Are you sure you're ready for something as grand as marriage?” he asked.
“Yes, I'm sure… Sesshomaru, I have waited three years for this day; this day when I'm ready to marry the man I love…” stated Kagome truthfully, surrendering herself completely to Sesshomaru's embrace. She felt safe when she was in his arms, like as long as he held her, nothing bad would ever happen.
Sesshomaru couldn't help but smile at Kagome's decision and felt his heart swell with joy. His wretched fate of being alone would finally come to an end; he would carry on his family's legacy at long last. Slowly, he unwrapped his arms from around Kagome, holding her right hand with his left hand and tilting her chin up with the other.
“Then we shall wed…” There was a small pause from him before he said anything more. “Kagome?”
“Hm?” Even though Kagome was looking at Sesshomaru, she was in a slight daze from the way he was staring at her. “What is it?”
Sesshomaru gave her one of his attractive smiles, whispering to her, “It makes me happy that you accept my proposal… Happier than I've been in days…”
Before Kagome had a chance to respond, Sesshomaru pressed his lips to hers, showing her just how grateful he was that she said she'd marry him.
Kagome blushed, more or less surprised that Sesshomaru was the one to kiss her first. But she kissed him back nonetheless, wrapping her arms around his neck. Next thing she knew, she was in his lap, moving as close to Sesshomaru as she possibly could.
Sesshomaru made a sound low in his throat and lay down on the floor so that Kagome was lying across him as he kissed her. Parting his lips from Kagome's for a few moments, he managed to say, “I love you… Kagome,” before covering her mouth with his again. He slid his hands over her shoulders and back, his arms encircling her waist and pulling her closer.
The feel of Sesshomaru against her was enough for Kagome's entire body to be on fire. Her cheeks were bright pink, mostly because of embarrassment of what she was doing. Deciding not to go too far, Kagome broke the kiss, her lips still hovering about an inch above and away from Sesshomaru's.
“I love you too, Sesshomaru,” she breathed, gazing into his eyes; those amazingly beautiful eyes.
Sesshomaru didn't answer, because he was panting. It seemed to Kagome that he, apparently, had forgotten how to breathe for a moment or two and thought he needed a second to catch his breath. So she let him.
When Sesshomaru had caught his breath, he smirked lightly at her, ignoring his temptation to close the distance between their lips.
“It's been a while since we've kissed like that…” he whispered.
Kagome blushed. “Yeah, it has… So, uh…” She sounded nervous.
Hearing the nervousness in Kagome's voice, Sesshomaru scootched out from under her, sitting up. “You may go now if you wish. I will not force you to stay in here with me all day.”
Kagome nodded, getting to her feet and saying, “Okay. I'll see you this afternoon then?” There was a slightly hopeful tone in her voice and she wondered if Sesshomaru heard it.
A small smile appeared on Sesshomaru's face when he heard Kagome's hopeful tone. “Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere in my sleep…” He let out a small chuckle.
Kagome laughed and turned, walking toward the door. She slid it open and stood in the doorway for a moment, peering over her shoulder at her fiance.
“Sleep well, Sweetie.”
Sesshomaru lay down on his bed, using his fluffy as a pillow, as always. He closed his eyes and said softly, “Thank you, Kagome… I will… You will be in my dreams…”
Kagome smiled, saying, “And you in mine… Goodnight.” With that, Kagome left the room, sliding the door closed and leaving Sesshomaru by himself in his bedroom.
Sesshomaru heard the door close and opened his eyes slightly, looking up at the ceiling. She accepted my proposal… I can sleep well knowing that… With this happy thought lingering in his mind, Sesshomaru drifted off to sleep.
Meanwhile, just across the hall from where Sesshomaru was sleeping, Kagome was laying on her side on her bed, stroking Korari. The little cat demon was curled up beside her, not seeming to mind Kagome petting her.
Kagome closed her eyes, deciding to take a small nap, and her thoughts shifted to Sesshomaru and how happy he was when she said she would marry him. This brought a smile to her lips and she thought about ways she could tell her family and Inuyasha and the others the great news. Well, Miroku, Shippo, Sango, Kaede, and my family back in the present should understand. But then there's Inuyasha… He doesn't like his brother much at all, and he would probably have a fit if I told him I was marrying Sesshomaru… Oh, what do I do?
It was true. Kagome was in a dilemma. If she told Inuyasha that she and Sesshomaru were engaged and soon to be married, he would never let her live it down. Well, he's gonna end up finding out eventually, because one of the others is bound to blab it to him anyway…
“Okay, it's settled. The next time I see Inuyasha, I'm going to tell him the news in as nice a way as possible and hope for the best,” she said quietly to herself. With another difficult decision behind her, she fell asleep, looking forward to whatever that afternoon would bring.