InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Promise Fulfilled ❯ A New Power ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
there everyone! This is my first story that I have ever posted in Mediaminer, so this will be an experience. I hope you all enjoy it, so please leave a review at the end! If you don’t like the story, please, constructive criticism! I don’t mind that, but no flames! I put a lot of work into this so I really don’t want to read a review going on and on about how bad my story is. If you have some comments you’d like to make, and they are in an appropriate form, I would be more than happy to receive them.

Now I’m unsure of the rating at this point. It will probably be something along the lines of a PG-13 rating, unless something in my story makes it go higher.

So now, on with the story!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter One

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~




Dear Diary,

This week has just been full of so many events, I don’t know where to start! First, Inuyasha gets himself into another fight he is obviously not ready for! He was still injured from a previous fight with Naraku, but you know him. He was to get himself involved in any demon battle he finds! So of course, every wound that he had reopened, bringing him a whole new world of pain. Luckily, we were able to defeat the demon before it got too serious. And then he yells at me for getting in the way! I was the one who shot the arrow that saved his sorry hide! But I guess that’s what you have to go through when it involves someone you care about… But I don’t know why I do. I mean, he still is in love with Kikyo, no matter what he says. I really can’t compete with that, can I?

Well, I decided to come back home for a bit. I mean, I have so much homework! Ugh, I wish I could put school on pause when I am gone. But anyways, the moment I say that I need to go back home, Inuyasha has a fit! ‘We need to find the jewel shards, you don’t need to be wasting our time!’ If I want to come back home, I have every right! So I sat him a few times until he shut up about it. Sometimes, he just irritates me!

I know I shouldn’t be complaining about him so much. I shouldn’t even be thinking about him so much. He doesn’t like me that way. And back here, someone does! Hojo asked me on another date, and I might actually go on it with him. I know I only see him as a friend, but he’s really nice to me, and I’ve blown him off so many times. But he’s really determined, he just keeps coming back! So I figured, you know, I deserve some fun! So Hojo and I are going to a movie this Saturday. Only two days away, I should still be here. And even if Inuyasha comes for me, I’ll have to tell him no. I can do it, right? Right!



Kagome slammed her diary shut, flipping the small little clip on it that locked its secrets inside the pages. She stood up from her spot on her bed, clutching the small book to her chest. As if someone would suddenly figure out her hiding spot, she tiptoed over to desk and opened the bottom drawer. In here were so many old notebooks filled with everything she had to copy down from friends. But she never got a chance to read any of it, so she was starting to wonder if it was really worth it. Lifting them up slightly, she stuffed the diary underneath them, before sliding the drawer closed again.

Flopping back onto the bed, she sank into the soft mattress, her head already on her pillow. She was so glad to be sleeping in an actual bed. Compared to either the ground or grass, she felt like she was being pampered. Plus being able to use shampoo was just heaven to her. Kagome inhaled deeply, the smell of jasmine reaching her nose. It was her favorite scent, and she had it for almost every product that was applied to either her hair or skin. Even Inuyasha had liked that smell…

Wait, why was she thinking about him?!? She shouldn’t care if he liked how she smelled or not! And besides, when he had said it, he had been in his human form, and was most likely delirious. So it’s not like it really matter, right? That’s right!

But just the thought that he didn’t care caused Kagome to sigh heavily. She didn’t know what it was about him, but she couldn’t get him off her mind. She wished she could, but it was really difficult to even try. He plagued her thoughts, her dreams, and as much as she would never admit it, her deepest fantasies. But it was a one-sided attraction in her mind. He had never shown any real deep feelings for her. He was too obsessed with finding the jewel shards, and that’s the only reason he really spoke to her. She was a shard detector, plain and simple. Part of her would argue endlessly that it wasn’t true, that he really did care about her for her. But that’s when Kikyo came to mind.

If Inuyasha did care about her, it was most likely because she looked so much like Kikyo. She was her reincarnate, after all. But that didn’t even seem to sway his thoughts too much. He still loved Kikyo, and that was that. Whenever he would catch her scent, he would be gone, searching for his long lost love. But she didn’t understand it. Kikyo was a clay pot, lifeless, cold, and not capable to bring Inuyasha the happiness he really deserved. And that was what she was there for! Kagome was alive, breathing, warm, and could take care of Inuyasha no matter what he went through.

Sadly, he just didn’t see it that way. And it broke her heart.

But she would have to get over it, wouldn’t she? She had a date with Hojo now. She had to stop caring so much about Inuyasha and at least live a little bit of her own life. She owed that much to herself. She was in her time now, so she would have to worry about him later. Besides, if she kept herself stuck on Inuyasha the whole time she was here, she would just get in a depressed state, and she didn’t want that. She wanted to have fun while she was home. And that’s exactly what she would do.

With a small yawn, Kagome reached over and turned off her lamp, curling up under the blankets and falling into a deep slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, five hundred years in the past, a half-demon by the name of Inuyasha was fuming. How dare she leave so suddenly when they had a mission to complete? He was currently seated in front of the well, his Tetsusaiga at his side, waiting for her to return. If she wasn’t back in a day or so, he was going to go looking for her. She had no right to leave at such an important time. But he was the only one who was thinking that way at this point.

Miroku, Sango, Shippo, and Kirara were currently watching him behind the trees, each blinking in turn. He was a stubborn dog demon, that was for sure. They could just see the blood vessel popping at his forehead as he waited for Kagome’s return. But they all knew that it wouldn’t be anytime soon, so they were positive that his patience would run out and he would dive into the well as he always did. And when Kagome returned, she would be in a bad mood, and everyone would be upset.

“Do you think Kagome will return on her own?” asked Shippo, although he already knew the answer to it. She would return, she always did, but Inuyasha never gave her the chance. Sango glanced down at the little kit, rubbing his head lightly. “Well, it depends on whether Inuyasha wi-” she stopped suddenly, her eye twitching as she slowly turned to the monk beside her.

He had an innocent look on his face, but he was far from innocent. His always wandering hand was currently rubbing her backside, much to her dismay. Bringing her hand back, she slapped him full across the face, causing his hand to instantly move from her and up to his cheek. “Sango, my dear, why on earth would you do something like that?” he cried out, acting severely hurt by her actions.

At this point, her eyes were ablaze as she brought her hand back again. Miroku gulped, turning tail and running back to Kaede’s hut. And young Shippo, not wanting to be caught in Sango’s arm range, also ran with Miroku, jumping onto the man’s shoulder as they disappeared from view. Kirara just looked up at her mistress and mewed softly, her head tilted in confusion. As Sango glanced down at the cat demon, she lifted her up and walked back towards the hut, trying to calm herself before she saw Miroku again. Otherwise, pain would ensue.

Inuyasha was watching all of them leave their hiding spot, his ears twitching mercilessly. He had heard the conversation, and knew that they were all just waiting for him to explode. Well, so what if he did? He had every right to! If Kagome had just stayed here instead of going back and taking those ‘tests’ that she was always so worried about, they wouldn’t be having this dilemma.

But he had to admit to himself that he didn’t mind going to get Kagome. That always gave them that small bit of time alone together. He liked those moments, just being able to sit with Kagome. Even if they didn’t talk, it was a nice chance for him to relax. And he never had to act a certain way in front of her. She accepted him for who he was.

But he couldn’t be with Kagome. At least, that’s what it seemed like. Kikyo was back, and he could never rid his feelings of her. He did know that he could never have a real relationship with the human he had loved fifty years ago, but he had made her a promise. To go with her when she crossed over once again, to the pits of hell. It was a sorrowful promise, but it was still a promise that he had to keep. And there was no way around it.

But the thought of never seeing Kagome again broke his heart. She had been so good to him, he didn’t deserve her kindness. Except for when she sat him. That was just plain mean in his eyes. He glanced downward at the rosary around his neck that had the ‘sit’ spell inside of it. As much as he hated it, he loved it. It was something that connected the two of them. Even if he had a choice, he would never get rid of it. For the sentiment alone.

Leaning back against the well opening, he stared upward at the sky. It was already night at this point, and the stars were sparkling all across the dark blue background. The moon was also out tonight, and as its light shone across the field, Inuyasha couldn’t help but smile. Kagome would have liked a scene like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

As night turned into day in both times, Kagome was pulling the blankets off her very tired form. Glancing at the clock, she let out a groan. It was too early in the morning for school. But she couldn’t complained, she had wanted to go. She had needed to go, she had missed too much homework. Pushing herself off her bed, she stood up, her feet being cushioned by her comfy carpet. She wiggled her toes a bit, liking the feel of it a lot more than dirt and rocks.

Walking over to her closet, she pulled out a school uniform, folding it over her arm as she made her way to her drawers. Pulling out the appropriate undergarments, she headed towards the bathroom, intent on a nice, fresh shower. As she stepped inside, she placed her clothes on the sink countertop, before she turned on the water. Pulling a little knob, the faucet stopped going and instead, the water came from the shower head positioned at the top. She quickly adjusted the settings to the right temperature, before she quickly undressed and stepped into the stream of water.

About a half hour later, she was leaving her bathroom, now fresh and clean. Her hair was dried, she was in her uniform, and she was ready for a day of learning. At least, that’s what she kept telling herself. The obvious bags under her eyes argued otherwise. Blinking profusely at her appearance in her bedroom mirror, she just shook her head before leaving her room and heading downstairs, bag in tow.

Her brother Souta was already seated at the table, devouring the delicious breakfast that her mother had made for them. However, Kagome wasn’t too hungry this morning, and just settled on a piece of buttered toast. Sticking it in her mouth, she waved to her mother and ruffled Souta’s hair a bit before heading out of the household. As she closed the door behind her and headed to the temple stairs, she glanced at the sacred tree. Just looking at it brought images of Inuyasha to her mind.

She figured that was because the sacred tree was where she had first seen him, well, five hundred years ago when she fell into the Bone Eater’s well. But another image flashed into her mind, which really caused her to become slightly confused. She had another vision of a different demon, but looking quite friendly. But as soon as the face entered her mind, it was gone again, leaving Kagome slightly confused. She wondered who on earth the demon was that was entering her head. Shrugging it off, she finished her piece of toast before heading down the temple stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Back at the Bone Eater’s well in Feudal Japan, Inuyasha was sound asleep at the entrance. Every so often, a velvety white ear would twitch, but that was the only movement that was noticeable. His sword was in his lap, his hands folded over as he sat cross-legged on the ground. His head was tilted forward, causing his beautiful silver hair to fall in front of his face and chest. Even nature seemed to realize how majestic he looked, and as the sun beat down on his back, it added a beautiful natural light to him.

The rest of the group were in Kaede’s hut, as asleep as he was. Every single one of them had been up late, watching Inuyasha, wondering if he would return to Kagome’s time. However, sleep had taken ahold of each of them, one at a time. First had been Shippo, with Kirara falling suit quickly afterwards. Next had been Miroku, since Sango had refused to fall asleep before the monk. He had acted all wounded over her accusations, but his flesh was spared from her brutal attacks as he fell into a sound sleep. Realizing that he was indeed off in dream land, Sango allowed herself to slumber peacefully as well.

But now it was morning, and they were still in bed. Shippo and Kirara were curled up next to each other, light snores being heard from the small kitsune, and mews noticeable from the cat demon. Miroku was stretched out across the floor, his staff next to him, his head resting on his arm. As he faced one wall, Sango was on the other side of him, her back to his back, but with a little space between them. She was also resting her head on her arm, her ebony hair sprawled out on the floor and her face. They all slept on, looking as if they would never wake from their wonderful dreams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

As everyone slept on in the village, a meeting was taking place in the secret castle of the demon Naraku. Well, it was about to take place, once the other demon made their presence known. Naraku waited patiently in his room, his form hidden by the baboon pelt that he favored above else. His eyes could be seen through the mask, darting around as he sat there. His ‘guest’ would be arriving soon, and a smirk slowly appeared on his face. Everything was slowly falling into place already, as long as he got what he wanted tonight.

The door to his room slid open, revealing two figures from behind it. One was Kagura, demon of the wind, and reincarnate of Naraku. Her face wore a scowl as she saw her master, her hatred for him running through her veins. Her ultimate wish was to be free of his grasp, but until then, she was forced to help him, which prolonged her dream even more. She pushed the other form into the room, closing the door quickly and heading down the hall.

The other demon was female as well, and was not happy to be here at all. In fact, she had been brought here against her will. One moment she was sitting by the stream, the next thing she knew, she was on some enchanted feather, being flown to this creepy castle. She had chocolate colored kitsune ears, as well as a tail, that was long and somewhat fluffy. It remained wrapped around her waist at this point. Her eyes were an amber color, glaring at the demon who sat in front of her presently. She wore a dark blue shinobi outfit, with matching gloves and sandals. She had long auburn hair that reached almost to her knees. It was braided all the way down, and she let it hang behind her.

“Who are you and why was I brought here?” she snarled at Naraku, her eyes full of anger and confusion at this point. He merely chuckled, gesturing for her to take a seat in front of him. With a grimace, she did so, tapping her claws beside her as she waited for him to answer her question. Finally, after a few moments, he spoke, his voice dripping with malice. “I had you brought here because you have a power which I want. If you agree to help me, I will spare your life. However, if you wish to fight me, I will simply end your life here and now and absorb your power. What would you prefer?”

The girl’s eyes widened slightly, not having expected him to be so blunt in what he wanted. And as far as she knew, she didn’t have any special powers. As a matter of fact, she wasn’t that strong of a demon to begin with. She quickly opened her mouth to argue the point, but was quickly silenced as Naraku darted forward, his baboon pelt falling off his form and landing neatly next to him. His left hand clasped against her mouth, stopping her from uttering a single word. His right arm snaked its way around her waist, while his hand dug into her lower back. She let out a yelp into his hand, her head tilting back slightly in pain.

“Before you even say it, girl, yes, you do have a power. And I am going to unlock it for you. Now, I’m doing a good thing for you, so I expect your cooperation. Because I could just kill you right now and not have to worry about having an ally out of you or not,” he said dangerously, making sure that she knew business. She remained motionless for a few moments, before finally nodding her head, showing that she understood what he said. He slowly let her go, seating himself next to her and nodding at her lower back.

“Now, if you check in a mirror of some sort, you will see a symbol there that is the base of your power,” he explained solemnly, glancing up at her panic-stricken face. “I am going to show you how to use your powers, and in return, you will help me get something that I am after. Do you accept my terms?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is only chapter one, and I know it’s pretty short. This is more like a prologue to the story, so people know the feelings of the two main characters of my story. If I get enough reviews, I will continue the story. But that’s only if enough people are interested in how it’s starting out. Thank you!