InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Royal Birth: Sequel to His Little Girl ❯ New moon sunrise ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
A shrill frightened crying woke Kouga sometime before sunrise with a desperate need to stop the crying. It was loud and painful to his ears. His brows furrowed as he sat up, the crying - it was coming from one of Kagome's pups! He looked over to the pile of furs where the infants were sleeping to find Kagome's daughter awake and scratching her claws at first her nose. He watched in fascination as her puppy ears disappeared from the top of her head and stripes appeared on her cheeks and small hands and eyelids. Her hands moved as she screamed to claw at her ears.
 
He could tell from her scent that the pup was terribly frightened and he took care as he lifted the infant gently into his arms and took her small hands in his larger ones looking at the tiny lines of blood she had drawn near her now pointed ears on the sides of her head. He tucked her into his arm, holding her hands as she struggled to free them to claw at her ears. Everything was too loud and smelled far too strongly now. She wasn't used to it and it scared her terribly. She couldn't smell her mother or her father, where were they?!
 
Her eyes opened to see the wolf youkai holding her and couldn't find her mother's scent anywhere. She was hungry and scared and in being so her cries grew louder and shriller.
 
“Shh, hush little one,” Kouga tried desperately to soothe the frightened pup. “I know, it's pretty scary for you huh?” the pup in his arms cried and cried as her face contorted in pain as the wolves, both youkai and their animal cousins woke with yips and growls and howls.
 
Kouga did his best to shield her far more sensitive ears from the noise of his tribes awakening but it was to no avail. He turned to find his mate awake and staring at him in concern.
 
“Seems Kagome's hanyou pup turns youkai instead of human,” he said by way of explanation. Ayame nodded and looked at the screaming pup in his arms. “Ayame…” he began.
 
“Go, take her to her mother. I'll send the boys along with the rest of the pups once they all awaken,” she said and Kouga smiled.
 
“Thanks,” he said and kissed her before standing and leaving the cave.
 
Kouga stepped pout of the cave and whirled away in his tornado as he used the jewel shards in his legs to their fullest potential and made his way to the Western Lands and to Sesshoumaru's castle as fast as he could. It was an hour before he reached their and the speed in which they had traveled had scared the pup even more, but going slower would have only prolonged her distress.
 
He slowed his speed to an easy jog once he came a few yards from the castle doors and made his way swiftly inside. He had smelled the scent of blood and death outside but hadn't thought much about it at the time. But as he followed Kagome's scent to the castle's infirmary and found Kagome lying wrapped in bandages on a futon asleep, his concern grew ten fold.
 
“Ah wolf,” Toga greeted as he began to awaken from his sleeping place by Kagome's side. “We wanted the pups safe for the time being,” he said in reference to the screaming child in the wolf's arms.
 
“I know, but she needs her mother.” Kouga looked down at the screaming and frightened child in his arms as Toga moved to stand before him.
 
“Sakura,” Toga said and lifted the tiny pup into his arms. “Poor thing is so frightened on this day.”
 
“I'm not surprised; her senses are strong enough as a hanyou, but as a youkai, and then just a pup? It must be overloading her senses.”
 
Kagome panted heavily as she struggled and fought her way through the maddening and heavy darkness that surrounded her when she heard her pup's frightened crying. At first she felt trapped in the darkness, unable to escape and made to listen helplessly as her daughter cried. But as she continued to push her way through the darkness, the pain from her wounds magnified ten fold and served as her speeding train to guide her into consciousness.
 
“May baby,” she said her trembling voice raspy and barely there, unheard by the two youkai standing at the foot of her bed and turned away from her as the talked quietly. “Bring me my baby,” she said again, louder this time, though her voice still trembled.
 
“Kagome,” the males said at once as they both turned to her with wide concerned eyes as they saw her struggle hard to sit up.
 
Kagome's wounded body was too weak to support itself and she fell heavily back to the futon with a grunt of defeat. Toga and Kouga were sitting close at either side of her in an instant; their concerned words unanswered as she simply and quietly plucked her daughter from her father's arms. Kagome held the child to her chest as she lay back on the pillow and soft bedding.
 
The child's cries did not stop completely though they did lessen considerably until the child was only whimpering. Kagome her daughter close, disregarding the males completely as she opened the haori she was dressed in and tugged down one side of the bandaging until she had uncovered her right breast engorged with her mother's milk and offered her distended nipple to the infant.
 
Sakura fed greedily from her mother's breast, having refused the milk offered to her by Ayame, though her brother and cousin had not. Kagome looked at Toga pleadingly and he nodded to her, their silent exchange understood by the other.
 
The inu and wolf youkai watched as Kagome slipped back into an exhausted sleep. Once the pup had nursed to her fill, Toga gently separated her from her mother and burped her as he watched Kouga gently cover up the pup's sleeping mother.
 
“What happened to her?” Kouga asked as he looked upon Kagome, retying the haori closed.
 
“None of us knew what had set Kagome off until we got here,” Toga said as he held the now sleeping pup in his arms as looked upon his sleeping daughter. “Kagome squeezed herself through the front doors with us still on her back and made her way into the ballroom where we found Shrika, Loki's youngest daughter, kneeling down next to Aikyouragi. The rabbit youkai is the healer's daughter and considered pack by Kagome. Shrika had apparently knocked her out and was getting ready to eat her.
 
Eat her?” Kouga asked thoroughly disgusted.
 
“Yes, Shrika was a vile girl. It was unfortunately not at all uncommon for her to eat the flesh of rabbit and squirrel youkai and I don't mean the youkai animals, I mean the youkai like us. It was also discovered that she had lain with Naraku and that it was Loki who was giving aid to Maito in his war against my family.”
 
Toga paused there as he brushed Kagome's hair back from her face as he felt his sons enter the room. Kouga turned his eyes to look at them as they walked closer to where they were sitting beside Kagome. Inuyasha walked next to his brother as his fists rubbed his tired eyes and Kouga couldn't help but chuckle softly at the sight. He had heard Kagome call Inuyasha her puppy once and now understood why.
 
The hanyou yawned deeply, showing off his fangs as his ears folded back before perking up again as the yawn came to a close. He moved quietly and went to Kagome, sitting next to the wolf youkai prince but didn't really take notice of Kouga until he yawned a second time and heard him chuckle.
 
“What's so funny ya mangy wolf?” he asked through his yawn.
 
“You, puppy,” Kouga said as he watched the hanyou. “Tired?”
 
“I shouldn't be, considering that Kagome didn't let me fight yesterday,” he mumbled as he looked upon the bandaged and sleeping woman. “Hey, where's my pup?” the hanyou asked as he looked at Sakura in his father's arms.
 
“She'll be brought back once she and the other pups awaken. I didn't know this was Sakura's time of vulnerability until I woke to her frightened screaming. Though I'm not sure if you can really call her vulnerable.” he said as he looked at the full youkai pup who looked much like her father now.
 
“Sure you can,” Inuyasha said keeping his voice low, “she's not used to being full youkai and the increase in the sensitivity of her sense make it hard for her to deal with. It also makes her pretty damn exhausted once she reverts back to hanyou. I take you brought her home cause she changed.”
 
“Yeah,” he said and watched as Sesshoumaru took up his waking daughter and held her close as he nuzzled her nose with his. It was still so strange for him to see the once ice cold youkai lord being so affectionate and fatherly with his pup. “She wouldn't stop screaming and it seemed to hurt her when the wolves woke, she couldn't take their sounds. I brought her back here as fast as I could; she didn't calm at all until Kagome woke up and held her.”
 
“Yes, my pup is very attached to her mother as well she should be,” Sesshoumaru said as he held the pup in his arms, her little hand fisting in the thick silken silver strands that had fallen over his shoulder.
 
“He says that no,” Inuyasha said with a snort, “just wait till she discovers boys.”
 
“You think dear brother?” Sesshoumaru said with a raised brow. “But when your daughter discovers males as well, or more to the point when they discover her?”
 
“Their hands will be ripped off if they so much as touch her,” the hanyou growled and Toga and Kouga both chuckled heartily.
 
“I'm kind of glad that I didn't have any daughters,” Toga said still chuckling. “I doubt they'd be mated if I had. Can you see these two letting any sister or daughter of theirs around males of a mating age?” he asked Kouga.
 
“Sure,” Kouga said easily. “The males in question would be nothing more than a pile of mutilated flesh for even looking upon them. But you know Inuyasha,” the wolf said turning to the hanyou. “I do have a son and he was born only a day after your daughter was.”
 
“They would be of a matching age to play with each other,” Toga said with a mischievous twinkle in his golden eyes.
 
“Oh right,” Inuyasha snorted dismissively. “And what, have his pup go around calling my daughter `his woman'? I don't think so - hey!” he growled at Kouga when the wolf flicked his ear.
 
“What?” the wolf asked looking rather innocent, far too innocent if you asked a certain hanyou.
 
A moan from the bed between them all pulled the four males' attention back to the girl lying in the bed as she began to awaken again. Kagome tried to sit up but was held down by her mate when he placed his hand on her shoulder.
 
“Shh, it's alright,” Sesshoumaru spoke softly to his mate.
 
“Here gimme her,” she spoke softly as she reached for her daughter.
 
“Are you sure it's wise to feed her again so soon?” Toga asked as Kagome opened the haori.
 
“It hurts too much not to,” Kagome said as she lowered the bandaging over her left breast, the nipple already slowly leaking milk.
 
Kagome brought the pup to her chest, but the pup already full from her previous feeding turned her face away and would not drink from her. Kagome whimpered not knowing how else to relieve the painful aching of her full breast and not having a breast pump in this time she didn't know what else to do.
 
“Sister,” they all heard Ginta's voice say as he entered the room. “Your son hungers.”
 
Kagome gratefully accepted Zousataro and put him quickly to her breast, the male quickly and greedily drinking from his mother with all his might, Kagome wincing at the painful clamping of his jaw on her nipple. Sesshoumaru growled softly at his pup and petted the boy's back, the pup loosening his hold on his mother's nipple to a more comfortable hold as he continued to suckle happily.
 
“Your pup, Lord Inuyasha,” Ginta said as he handed Makia to the hanyou. “She was fed by Ayame before I brought her here.
 
“Where are Rin and Shippou?” Inuyasha questioned as he held his tiny daughter in his arms.
 
“They declined to come, the young kitsune saying that his mother needed to heal more before they could return.”
 
“Huh?” the hanyou asked his gaze confused.
 
“I don't know,” Ginta said as his mood began to lighten some, though remained grave seeing Kagome's bandaged form. “He said that his mother had been hurt and she needed to heal more before they could return.”
 
“Oh, he's getting visions now,” Kagome said proudly, her voice still tired. “His powers are growing stronger.”
 
“But he is a kitsune,” Ginta said as he sat at the foot of her futon as Toga helped Kagome to sit up as she held her pup in her arms as he continued to feed from her. “I was unaware they had visions.”
 
“When I adopted him,” Kagome began as she scooted back to lean against the wall. “When our blood mingled, instead of him taking on my human blood, he took on the powers of a miko. Tiyeko's been training him with his kitsune magick but I've been too tired to train him much with his miko powers. My poor boy, he's having to learn on his own. But these little ones are growing faster so I'll have more time to spend training him,” she said happily and heard Toga give a sharp chuckle - cough. “What?” she asked him.
 
“You can blame your mate for your lack of time,” he said his eyes laughing.
 
“Huh?” she asked and looked from Toga to Sesshoumaru who wore a proud smile to Kouga and Inuyasha who looked like they were waiting for someone to get beaten. “Someone mind telling what you're on about?” she asked confusedly.
 
“You're pregnant my mate,” Sesshoumaru said proudly and watched as her mouth dropped open stunned.
 
“Again?” Sesshoumaru nodded. “That's it,” Kagome said as she looked at him rather disgruntled. “You're making friends with your hand for a while buster.”
 
Inuyasha burst of laughing hard having heard much the same words from the girl's mother concerning her own mate after her pups were born. The hanyou could barely control his mirth and everyone, though laughing - with the exception of Kagome's mate - looked at him in question to his extensive humor.
 
“Kashu said the same thing after the boys were born,” he said by way of explanation.
 
“I'm not surprised,” Toga said with humor. “She's going to have her hands full. Triplet kitsune hanyou's, and to think I thought Inuyasha was trouble when he was a pup.”
 
“He was,” Sesshoumaru said as he looked at his brother. “He kept loping around the place on all fours and chasing after the guards that let their tails drag behind them. He'd clamp his tiny teeth on the tails and hang on as he was waved about when they tried to dislodge him, always thought it was a game too,” his brother smirked. “You have no idea the number of guards I had to `rescue' from you,” he said looking at his brother.
 
“Hey!” Inuyasha said as his cheeks turned red. “It's not fair, I don't remember that.”
 
“Which is what makes these stories so fun. Besides you were too small to remember it even if you'd lived here always.”
 
“Here,” Kagome said handing her fed and burped son to her mate. “He's finished and I want a bath.”
 
“Shall I accompany you my love?” Sesshoumaru asked with a smile.
 
“Don't even think about it,” Kagome said as she rose to her feet and Sango came over to her and helped her away. “I'm not too happy with you right now.”
 
“What did I do?” he asked.
 
“You know damn well what you did,” Kagome said and walked to the baths, she and her friend planning to enjoy a nice relaxing soak in the hot springs.
 
“What did I do?” he asked again once she and Sango were gone from the room.
 
“I think,” Kouga said as he looked to where she had exited. “That Kagome was looking forward to being able to have a little time to herself again. And you,” he said turning to Sesshoumaru. “Completely ruined that.”