InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Simple Legacy (II) ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and its characters are created by Rumiko Takahashi, not me, but the new plots are mine. This fanfiction had been written for entertainment purposes only and without intention of infringing upon any copyright.

A Simple Legacy II by elle6778 - Chapter 4


The silence was far from comfortable as Kagome stood in the circle of her companions. She stared intently at the ground, looking as if the snow-covered surface could shed some light on her problem.

Vaguely, her senses picked up Sesshoumaru's unhurried approach. But her mind was too occupied with the latest development to pay the stoic taiyoukai any attention. For all she knew, he was the cause of her problems. After all, Inuyasha had said that the change in her appeared only after she returned from Sesshoumaru's place.

She buried her face in her hands and moaned helplessly. What did she do to deserve this? Which Kami had she offended that this had to happen to her. What happened anyway?

Sighing, she looked down at her hands, noticing that the glow had dissipated and her skin was back to normal. She was a human. How was it even possible that she could turn into a youkai? It did not make sense. She had only come to terms with her own miko powers recently and was beginning to enjoy her new abilities. The thought that she might lose all of that to turn into some unknown youkai unnerved her. She knew that youkais were strong, it was simply not her.

Sango placed a gentle hand on her shoulders. “Kagome-chan. Please calm down. We'll find out what happened, alright?” she soothed.

Kagome lifted her head to look into Sango's worried eyes. Frowning, she said, “Yes, but how did it happen?”

Inuyasha gave her a stony look. “I told you. It happened after you got back from his place,” he snapped, pointing towards his side at the taiyoukai who had just joined them.

Turning to pin a pair of enquiring eyes on Sesshoumaru, Kagome asked, “You don't happen to know anything about this, would you?”

He gave her an unreadable look. After a moment, he replied, “This Sesshoumaru sensed a change on your eighteenth birthday.”

Kagome gasped. “And you didn't think to tell me?” she asked, annoyed that he had decided to keep something so important to himself.

He shrugged elegantly. “It would have served no purpose.”

Hardly believing what she was hearing, she glared at him. “What do you mean? If I'm turning into a youkai, I have the right to know, Sesshoumaru!”

His eyes flickered, but she could not tell what he was thinking. She frowned. Come to think of it, was it her imagination or did Sesshoumaru seem colder and more distant? Normally she could sense some things from him, but right now, he seemed so…distant.

“You need not concern yourself with that notion, Miko,” he told her dryly.

Her eyes widened. “You mean I'm not turning into one?” she asked hopefully.

Gesturing at the red scratches on her arm, Sesshoumaru said, “Human blood still spills from you. And this Sesshoumaru would know if you're a youkai. You're certainly not one.”

Kagome closed her eyes in relief and her tension ebbed. It was funny how his words managed to dispel her anxiety so easily. Still, it did not explain the weird red glow in her aura just now, but at least she could rule one possibility out.

Kouga scratched his head in confusion. “Someone must know something about this.”

“Kaede, maybe? Or Myoga?” Shippou suggested.

Kagome watched as Inuyasha waved a dismissive hand in the air. “Feh! Kaede's too far away. And Myoga? You've got to be kidding. That old flea only turns up whenever he feels like it.”

“That is incorrect,” Sesshoumaru interjected in his usual disinterested tone.

Everyone turned to him curiously.

“What are you talking about?” Inuyasha asked, glowering at Sesshoumaru.

“Myoga responds to our calls.”

Kagome blinked. “You mean your call, Sesshoumaru?”

Sesshoumaru glanced at Inuyasha distastefully. “And the hanyou's.”

Turning to Inuyasha, Sango frowned. “But you've yelled for Myoga before, right? And it didn't work.”

“Myoga can choose not to answer if he deems it unnecessary.”

Miroku nodded sagely. “Perhaps he fears that Inuyasha will abuse him.”

“I don't abuse him,” Inuyasha defended himself immediately, looking affronted.

Kagome gave him a dry look. “Sure, Inuyasha.”

Inuyasha snorted before he threw a challenging look at Sesshoumaru. “Since you brought it up, then why don't you try calling him?”

“Inuyasha…” Kagome warned, hoping that this would not escalate into another fight between the two brothers. They had been surprisingly civil to each other so far.

To her astonishment, Sesshoumaru just smirked slightly and moved away from them. Without another word, he stared into the distance, preparing himself for his task.

An eerie silence descended upon them.

Suddenly, a strong force pulsed away from Sesshoumaru, sweeping his long hair up around him. The vibration radiated outward in concentric rings, its beat steady and sure. Kagome gasped in astonishment at his power. Everyone else was just staring at him wordlessly, even Inuyasha.

Sesshoumaru pulsed another time before he returned his attention to them. “The flea is close, but it would probably take a few hours for him to arrive.”

Kagome brightened. At last, someone might be able to shed some light on her predicament. “Thank you, Sesshoumaru!” she said enthusiastically.

He simply gave her a curt nod.

Inuyasha crossed his arms over his chest, looking put out. “Feh! I could have done that. Myoga probably wouldn't turn up anyway.”

As the rest of them snickered behind their hands, Kagome gave Inuyasha a doubtful look. And then, noting how his ears were flattened against his head, she softened.

“You can call Myoga next time, okay?”


…***…***…

Sesshoumaru did not fail to notice that the moment everyone had settled down in the small cave, Inuyasha had rushed out, muttering darkly under his breath.

It was obvious that Inuyasha was still sore about the miko's improved skills. Sesshoumaru had been some distance away when the confrontation happened, but he had heard each accusing words clearly as neither Inuyasha nor the miko had held back.

A thoughtful look came across Sesshoumaru's face when he realized that Inuyasha's reaction could be the result of a number of reasons.

The first and foremost thought was that the miko's increased skills in battle meant that she would cease to depend on Inuyasha to protect her. This would definitely be a blow to his pride. After all, he had spent the last three years protecting the wench and had come to expect her to depend on him.

The hanyou's reaction could also be attributed at the fact that he, Sesshoumaru, was the one who had trained the miko. Although he had initially balked at the idea, Sesshoumaru knew that in the end, he had taught her more than strictly necessary. However, he did not regret it. After all, the art should not be dishonored by anything less than proper training.

Perhaps Inuyasha had been recalling his childhood, Sesshoumaru thought uneasily. He never liked to dwell on those awkward days when Inuyasha had been just a young, playful pup.

Inuyasha's adoration had been more than obvious in those days. But when he had asked in his childish voice for training, he, Sesshoumaru had denied the request. The reason had been simple, but Inuyasha had not been made aware of it. All Sesshoumaru had intended to do was to wait for the pup to grow stronger before commencing the training. To train such a young pup could mean irreparable damage.

Sesshoumaru had every intention to honor his promise to their father. However, Izayoi had dragged Inuyasha away from the Western Lands soon after the death of their father. Perhaps Inuyasha still resented the fact that he had not received the training he was due as a pup.

Disliking the direction of his thoughts, Sesshoumaru quickly brushed it to the back of his mind. What was done was done. He refused to waste his time on pointless reminiscence.

He let his eyes roam around the cave. The wolf prince, Kouga had left when two of his underlings came to find him with a message. Curiously, soon after leading the humans to a small cave not far away, the female wolf had departed as well. Their dwindled numbers meant that he, Sesshoumaru, was now sitting at the mouth of the cave accompanied by one taijiya, one houshi, one kitsune and a miko. With nothing to do, all the humans and the kitsune had fallen asleep.

The miko, however, was wide awake.

She was lying on her stomach on her sleeping mat, her head propped up by her elbows. The expression in her eyes belied her agitation, so clear to him that he did not need their odd connection to understand. She was clearly concerned about her predicament and he understood her concern. Being subjected to something unknown and out of one's control could be frustrating.

After all, it was something that he had so recently experienced himself.

He had also experienced a strangely unsettling moment when she had challenged his silence on the subject of her being a youkai. The mere thought of it, of the miko being a youkai, was preposterous. And wrong. It could be likened to turning a bear into a tiger.

Sesshoumaru grimaced. He was not sure how he would have taken it if she had, indeed, been turned into a youkai.

He continued to watch her with slightly narrowed eyes as she began to flick her wrists absently. Narrow strands of miko energy trailed outwards from her index and middle fingers. The short pearlescent whips dangled from her two fingers as she studied it. Then she flicked it again, watching intently as the whips swung limply away from her.

Unable to maintain silence any longer, he spoke. “Miko. Do not toy with your powers.”

Startled, she jerked and turned to him. Her annoyance permeated his senses. “I'm practicing. After all, there's nothing else I can do here, is there?”

His eyes narrowed at her tone. “Do not think to take out your frustrations on this Sesshoumaru.”

She averted her eyes and sighed heavily. “I hate this feeling of not knowing what's happening to me,” she said softly. Then she gave him an apologetic look. “Sorry if I sounded rude.”

Not knowing how he should respond to her swift apology, he simply said, “Hn.”

She sighed again before rolling over onto her back, staring straight up. “Do you think we can fix this? Whatever it is?”

We?

He did not remember offering to assist her in this task. But the look in her eyes compelled him to respond. “This Sesshoumaru is not certain. Not without understanding the cause of your problem,” he replied, carefully keeping his emotions hidden.

She let out a puff of air, blowing her hair away from her eyes. “That's what I'm afraid of. What if we can't find the cause of it? What if there's some other side effect?”

Sesshoumaru refrained from telling her that the side effect was already present. Their odd connection had begun around the same time as the appearance of the mysterious youki and he was almost certain that the two was related. But judging by how concerned she was at the moment, he knew that it would not serve any purpose but to increase her worries.

And the last thing he needed was an unfocused miko on his hands when she commenced the payment of her debt. Disliking the worried expression she was wearing, he realized that she simply needed distraction. Furthermore, it would make it easier for him to broach the subject of the debt if she was in a more amiable frame of mind.

And he knew of a way to do so.

Getting to his feet, he said, “Come, Miko.”

“Huh?”

“We shall hunt.”


…***…***…


The feeling of exhilaration rushed through her as she ran, her feet pumping the ground swiftly. The cold air bit into her cheeks, numbing her flesh, but she barely felt it. Her entire attention was focused on the narrowing gap between her and her prey.

Sesshoumaru was not far in front of her, running after the wild boar. He was fast, but to her surprise, she was not doing too badly. Vaguely, she wondered if it had anything to do with her improved miko powers. Or perhaps it was the effect of the strange youki.

She shook her head roughly. No, she would not spoil this by thinking about the youki again.

Distracted, she almost barreled into Sesshoumaru when he stopped abruptly, holding his hand up. Looking in the direction of his eyes, she saw the boar in the distance, panting heavily beside a felled tree.

Sesshoumaru lowered his head. “He's weary. Can you sense it?” he said very softly against her ear.

She shook her head mutely. All she could hear was the sound of her own heartbeat and the feel of Sesshoumaru's warm lips on her earlobe. An odd shiver ran up her spine.

Giving her an uncompromising look, he said, “Focus on the beast. You will sense it.”

Well, Sesshoumaru was definitely more confident in her skills that she was, Kagome thought wryly. Frowning, she stared at the boar as she expanded her senses. Dimly, she felt something emanating from the boar, but before she could grasp it, it was gone.

“Miko. You need to calm yourself. Your excitement affects your senses.”

“Oh.”

Eyes fluttering shut, she took a deep breath and released slowly. As her heart slowed, she opened her eyes. Expanding her senses again, she focused on the boar.

Then she felt it. The boar was scared but too tired to fight, his rapid panting was taking up all his strength. She could sense the resignation in him. He had given up. He had accepted that he would lose.

Turning to Sesshoumaru, she whispered, “I don't think he's going to run anymore.”

The approving look he gave her made her feel warmer suddenly. “Indeed.” Then, turning back to their prey, he continued, “We will strike now.”


…***…***…


Hours had passed and it was already dark outside when Myoga turned up at the cave riding on Inuyasha's shoulders, looking worse for wear. Hopping off his ride, the flea youkai bounced into the cave.

“Where were you just now?” Inuyasha hissed, tossing Sesshoumaru a heated glare. “How was I supposed to get in with a barrier at the entrance?”

Not bothering to grace the question with an answer, Sesshoumaru just smirked at the indignant look on the hanyou's face. Inuyasha must be referring to the barrier the miko had erected earlier to protect the cave's occupants when they departed for the hunt.

Myoga approached him, looking nervous. Still glaring, Inuyasha followed behind with his arms tucked into his sleeves.

“You called, Sesshoumaru?” the flea youkai asked.

Sesshoumaru gave him a curt nod. “The miko requires your assistance.”

Myoga glanced at the sleeping miko doubtfully. “Shall we wait until morning?”

“Perhaps she should decide for herself,” Sesshoumaru remarked evenly.

With that, he stood up and walked quietly towards the back of the cave. The miko was sleeping slightly apart from the rest, obviously worn out from the exercise. She had done better than he had expected, considering that it was her first hunt. He had been surprised at her undiluted enthusiasm for one of his favorite pastimes.

Bending down, he placed his hand on her shoulders and shook her.

“Miko.”

“W-what?” she mumbled blearily as she buried deeper into the fabric under her cheek.

The weight of Inuyasha's glare on his back did not go unnoticed, but Sesshoumaru chose to ignore it. He shook the miko again, this time harder. “Miko. Wake up.”

He watched as her eyes fluttered open to reveal twin brown orbs, still glazed with sleep. “Huh? What?”

Sesshoumaru stepped back, waiting for the miko to fully awaken. When she did, her eyes landed on Myoga and her expression brightened. He braced himself in readiness for the wave of her excitement to wash over him. Instantly, a warm feeling permeated Sesshoumaru's senses. He barely refrained from sighing in annoyance.

“Myoga!” she exclaimed.

Myoga peered at her closely. “Your aura…” he paused, looking confused. “It's different.”

The miko looked at the flea youkai with hope in her eyes. “Do you have any idea how this had happened?”

Myoga hopped onto her shoulders. “Let me feed and I'll know better.”

The miko had barely nodded in agreement before Myoga latched onto her neck. As he sucked, his diminutive body began to bloat.

“Enough!” Inuyasha snapped, pulling the flea off her neck.

Smacking his lips, Myoga gave Kagome an assessing look.

“You taste like a human. So you're obviously still human.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms. “So? What about the strange youki?” he asked grumpily.

“I can taste a slight change, but Kagome's blood is not one of a youkai. It still taste familiar to me.”

Sesshoumaru looked at them thoughtfully. Myoga had just confirmed his thoughts. She was still human, but her aura was simply stained with a demon's youki. The useless flea had not told him anything that he did not already know. Nor did he mention any other side effects, such as their odd understanding of each other.

“What is the cause of this, Myoga?” Sesshoumaru asked calmly.

Myoga frowned deeply. “I can't say I know for sure. Perhaps a spell?”

“Can it be reversed?” the miko asked apprehensively.

The flea youkai shook his head. “I don't think so. Whatever it is, it has bonded with you. It is not an evil force, though. It'll pose you no harm.”

The miko sagged visibly, blowing a puff of air into her bangs. “I give up.”

Inuyasha threw an accusing look at Sesshoumaru before he turned to her. “Feh… Bonded. It's probably all Sesshoumaru's doing. Who knows what you guys did when he was training you?”

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed.

Flaring up in annoyance, the miko jumped to her feet. “What are you trying to say, Inuyasha?”

The hanyou leaned towards her. “He's a youkai. And you're a human who spent a month with him. And now you have some sort of strange youki stuck to your aura. Do I need to say more?” he taunted.

“W-what? Are you saying…he and I…” the miko stuttered. Looking incredulous, she flicked her glance between him and Inuyasha.

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed further. Inuyasha was obviously implying some sort of intimate contact between him and the miko. Was this the real reason why Inuyasha had been so angry earlier? Foolish hanyou. Without even glancing at the miko, Sesshoumaru could feel her outrage flaring like a raging fire. Knowing her, she would not take the accusation lightly.

As the miko and Inuyasha locked in a furious glaring contest, it occurred to Sesshoumaru that the hanyou's foolish accusation might be of benefit to him. After all, if she was angry with Inuyasha, she might be more accepting of the nature of the debt she was to repay.

Sesshoumaru smirked inwardly. Indeed, it could be beneficial.


…***…***…


He was unbelievable. Just unbelievable. She was surprised that Sesshoumaru had not trashed him for those accusations. What the heck was Inuyasha thinking?

Muttering under her breath, she slapped a stray branch out of the way and continued to stomp into the snow. She had no particular destination in mind. All she wanted was to get as far away from Inuyasha as she could before she accidentally purified him.

An odd tingling feeling told her that there was another presence close to her.

“Miko.”

She halted, glaring down at her feet. He was probably here to admonish her for what he perceived as her foolish behavior. As usual. Was she not even allowed to fume in peace now?

“Miko.” His tone was harder now.

With a sigh of resignation, she turned around. “I hear you, Sesshoumaru.”

“Then perhaps you should acknowledge it.”

She groaned. “Please, Sesshoumaru. Not now.” At the moment, she simply had no energy for a verbal sparring with the taiyoukai.

He quirked a brow, looking amused. “This Sesshoumaru is not here to chastise you.”

She blinked, wondering what he was there for. Surely he did not come out here to keep her company. “What is it, then?”

“You can sense the Shikon shard, can you not?” he asked evenly.

Barely pausing to consider why the taiyoukai was asking such a question, Kagome nodded. The second she did so, a satisfied gleam appeared in his eyes, making her pause. If Sesshoumaru was asking about the shards, did that mean that he wanted them? Apprehension began to grow in the pit of her stomach.

Trying to hide her nervousness, she ventured cautiously, “Why do you ask?”

Sesshoumaru looked away, seemingly deep in thought. She tried to gauge his feelings, but she could not sense any ill intent in him. Instead, all she could sense was… blankness?

“Sesshoumaru?” she prompted.

“Our agreement was never completed,” he said as he locked his golden eyes on her. “It must be brought to your attention that it is time for you to repay your debt.”

She gasped. This was what she had been afraid of when they entered the agreement. She had been afraid that he might ask for her Shikon shards. At that time, she had managed to convince herself that Sesshoumaru had shown no interest in the shards. He had never even mentioned it in all the time she was staying at his place.

So why now?

“Are you asking me for the shards?” she asked in a whisper.

Sesshoumaru just looked at her with that usual unreadable expression on his face, making her even more nervous. How could she just hand over something like that? But she had agreed. Why did she agree to something so open ended? Groaning inwardly, she wondered which one was more important; to honor one's words, or to keep the Shikon shard safe.

“I don't know if I can give you the shards, Sesshoumaru. I need to purify them and keep them safe,” she mumbled worriedly, preparing herself for the inevitable burst of cold rage from the taiyoukai. When he remained silent, she sneaked a glance at him through her lashes.

He was still staring at her, but she could not tell what he was thinking.

“Did this Sesshoumaru ask to keep the shards?” His tone was icy.

She jerked her head towards him, her mouth falling open. “You don't want the shards?”

“Not for the purpose you think,” he said cryptically.

“So what is it?” she asked, feeling a little annoyed at his constant evasiveness. Couldn't he just say what was on his mind? Of course not! This was Sesshoumaru, right? “What is it you want from me?”

“You will lend me all your power as required and accompany this Sesshoumaru to find the shards. When Naraku is destroyed, you will be released from your debt.”

Kagome felt her heart stop. “W-What?” she whispered, not quite believing what she was hearing. Sesshoumaru wanted her to follow him shard hunting? Until such time that Naraku was destroyed? It could take years. It had taken them three years so far.

“This Sesshoumaru does not repeat himself.”

Closing her eyes, Kagome pinched the bridge of her nose. This could not be happening. The whole thing just did not make sense to her. What was Sesshoumaru up to?

Opening one eye, she asked, “Why?”

“No questions, Miko,” he reminded her.

Kagome groaned. How could he even ask her for something like this? There was no way Inuyasha would go for this. Not to mention that she was not sure that she wanted to travel alone with Sesshoumaru. Yes, her stay at his place had been pleasant, but that was different.

She gave him a pleading look. “Sesshoumaru, I already promised Inuyasha that I wouldn't leave him. Can't you think of something else to ask me?”

His eyes hardened. “This Sesshoumaru cares not. You are bound to honor your side of the agreement,” he declared imperiously.

Her eyes flashed in irritation as she locked her gaze on him. Why, of all unreasonable canines…

Straightening her spine, she began, “Listen to me, Fluffy. I can't just walk out on a promise I made to someone else just because you say so. You talk about honor. What honor would I have if I broke my promise to Inuyasha? And what makes you think that I wouldn't break my promise to you instead?”

Sesshoumaru shot forward and the next thing Kagome knew, the deadly tips of his claws were pressed against the soft skin of her neck. Her eyes widened in alarm as her hands flew up to grasp his striped wrist, trying to pry it away.

“S-Sesshoumaru! Let me go!” she choked out. “I can't breathe.”

His hand loosened instantly, but the pair of golden eyes that stared down at her was as hard as flint. To Kagome, it was a harsh reminder of the cold-blooded assassin she had known before their agreement.

“Perhaps this Sesshoumaru should have expected you to renege on your vows.” His tone was stony.

“Perhaps you should try to see this from my point of view instead of trying to kill me again!” she shot back.

Their eyes locked.

For a moment, she could have sworn that there was a flicker of remorse in those golden depths.

Then it was gone, replaced by nothing but a threatening glint.

“You will honor your side of the agreement, Miko,” he growled low in his throat.

Kagome looked at him and sighed. Inuyasha would kill her for this. But she could not think of another way to satisfy both of them. “Why don't we just all go together? That way, I can keep my promises.”

“Not acceptable.” His tone was clipped.

Her irritation grew. “Look, I'm trying here, alright? What does it matter if we all go together?”

“The hanyou will slow us down.”

“Inuyasha's fast. And Kirara can carry the rest.”

“Not fast enough.”

Kagome groaned. She could not do this. She just could not leave Inuyasha or the rest like this. She had promised to stay with him, and that she would not leave him. But if Sesshoumaru refused to travel together with the rest, did that mean that she would have to break her promise to one of them? Was there no other way?

“Time is of essence, Miko,” he said quietly, but there was no mistaking the uncompromising look in his eyes.

He was really serious about this. But then again, he had been always serious.

What was she going to do?



…***…***…