InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Simple Legacy (II) ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and its characters are created by Rumiko Takahashi, not me, but the new plots are mine. This fanfiction had been written for entertainment purposes only and without intention of infringing upon any copyright.
 
******************


A Simple Legacy II by elle6778 - Chapter 6

As the sun descended down the sky, the shadows in the snow slowly grew longer, streaking the land with ethereal patterns.

Sesshoumaru, however, barely noticed the passing of the beautiful landscape as he flew over the familiar terrain of his lands. And although he noticed the miko's unusual silence and the gradual increase of her agitation, he paid no attention to it. His mind was completely centered on his next task.

It had taken a long time for his spies to gather the necessary information but he had felt that it was going to be worth the trouble. Unlike some of Naraku's detachments, this one appeared fragile and timid. But Sesshoumaru knew that her looks were deceiving. With her knowledge and power, she would be able to tell him what Naraku's plans were and more importantly, the location of his hideout.

Sesshoumaru had no doubt that the despicable hanyou would be incensed at the capture of his latest detachment. Since Kanna and Kagura death, this forest youkai had been the one to supply Naraku with information and power.

Sesshoumaru's eyes gleamed as he speculated about the forest youkai's pendant. The pendant alone, demonic in nature, was a formidable weapon. It was clear that the forest youkai had been using the pendant to gather more youki to add to Naraku's strength. It was the only thing which had prevented Sesshoumaru from capturing the forest youkai by himself. As he had thought, the demonic pendant could not absorb the miko's energy. And now, the pendant would be put to greater use.

It was not long before they landed at the mouth of the cave which led to his mountain holding cell. When the dust cloud under his feet dissolved, Sesshoumaru immediately floated the miko's barrier into the dark entrance. The forest youkai gave him a pleading look through the barrier at him, but he ignored her.

The miko's voice reached him just as he began to step into the cave. “Sesshoumaru? I've got to go,” she said in a tight voice. “Inuyasha's going to be worried.”

Not responding, Sesshoumaru glanced briefly at her out of the corner of his eyes. Her agitation did not go unnoticed. His lips thinned. Her constant reference to Inuyasha was beginning to grate on his nerves.

“I can't stay here, Sesshoumaru. I need to go back. I need to find out if Inuyasha is alright. Not to mention I haven't told him about our deal yet,” she continued with increasing firmness.

“Your concern is unnecessary,” he said stonily.

Her voice hardened further. “Look, Sesshoumaru. I really don't appreciate being pushed around like this. I'm not going to even start on that little trick of yours.”

“We will discuss this later,” he told her, flicking a pointed glance at the forest youkai.

“No, we're not. I'll pay Rin a visit, then I'm going back to find Inuyasha,” she told him defiantly.

“Miko. You will soon see him soon enough. There is no need to seek him out,” he told her with growing impatience.

Inuyasha would be able to detect his scent. And even if the hanyou's inferior nose failed him, his brain should be functional enough tell him where to go, seeing that the only two missing from the group was him and the miko. And if even that failed, the kitsune would no doubt know where to look.

Pointing at the entrance of the cave, Sesshoumaru said firmly, “You will remain there.”

The miko's eyes widened. “What are you planning to do, Sesshoumaru?” she asked, glancing anxiously at the forest youkai.

He just stared at her.

She gave him a beseeching look. “Don't hurt her. I don't think she's really evil. And it's not like she had hurt either of us.”

Not answering, he simply entered the cave and floated the youkai to a warded rock cavern. It was the same one which had housed Inuyasha previously. Once the wards were activated, the miko's barrier and the underlying vine barrier dissolved. The forest youkai glanced around with her large eyes. She was frightened, Sesshoumaru thought with increasing satisfaction. It would make it easier for him to break her.

“What do you want?” she whispered, her hands fisted so tightly that the skin over her knuckles turned white.

From what Sesshoumaru had learnt from Kagura and the rest of his detachments, Naraku always held something of personal value to them to make sure that they remained loyal to him. He just needed to find out what hers was and utilize the knowledge to his best advantage.

“Tell me. What does Naraku hold over you?” he asked smoothly.

Her brown eyes widened. “This is because of Naraku?”

“You're one of his detachments, are you not?”

Her eyes flickered. Then, in a surprising show of stubbornness, she shook her head. “I don't know what you're talking about.”

“Do not test my patience. You will answer this Sesshoumaru's questions.”

“And if I don't?” she challenged.

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed. If that was the way she wanted to play it, so be it. The miko's words echoed at the back of his mind but he brushed it off quickly. Holding his hand forward, he released a stream of golden energy. The thin tendrils slipped through his wards and headed straight for the alarmed forest youkai.

A piercing scream rang through the air.

Falling to the ground with a dull thud, her small body shook uncontrollably. His gaze was impassive as he stared at her cowering form. The miko's plea nudged at him again, but he refused to feel bad about his actions. After all, the forest youkai asked for it. She could have avoided the pain by simply cooperating with him.

The rapid patter of approaching footsteps reached his ears. He closed his eyes in exasperation. Was the miko completely incapable of obeying instructions? Much to his consternation, he realized that he was reluctant to let her to watch him interrogate Naraku's detachment.

Her footsteps grew louder.

“Sesshoumaru!” the miko yelled as she skidded to a stop beside him.

He watched as she gazed at the inhabitant of the warded cell. A gasp of dismay escaped the miko's lips before she turned a pair of horrified eyes towards him. “What did you do?”

“You should remain outside, Miko,” he bit out.

She glared at him. “Why? Because you want to torture her without my interference?”

He gave her a stony look. “Our agreement states that you will not stand against this Sesshoumaru. Honor it,” he replied in a clipped tone.

Her eyes flashed as her anger rose, reddening her cheeks. Sesshoumaru watched with morbid curiosity as purplish pink sparks appeared in her eyes. Her youki-stained aura began to swirl around her.

“There's no honor in torturing a defenseless girl,” she snapped angrily.

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed. The miko dared to challenge his honor? “You shall hold your tongue, Miko,” he growled in annoyance.

She snorted. “Now that would be convenient, wouldn't it?” she remarked sarcastically.

Sesshoumaru gritted his teeth. Knowing that it would not do to continue their conversation right in front of the enemy, he grasped the miko's arm and dragged her out, ignoring her cries of protest.

Once they were out of the cave and far enough so that the forest youkai could not hear them, he released her arm and pinned an uncompromising gaze on her. It galled him to explain himself to her, but he knew that she would continue to pester him until he did.

“The youkai is Naraku's detachment. She is not as defenseless as she seems.”

“How sure are you that she's his detachment? She's completely different from the rest,” she shot back.

His lips thinned. If she had not interrupted him, he would have confirmed his spies' information by now. “That was one of the purposes of the interrogation.”

Gesturing in the direction of the cave, the miko said, “You still don't have to abuse her!”

He interjected before she could protest further. “Miko, she is an enemy, not a guest in the Western Lands. As for her injuries, she is a youkai. She will heal. Fast.”

Her expression full of reproach, the miko glared at him. “She's hurt, Sesshoumaru! I didn't help you bring her here so that you can torture her. So stop it.”

His eyes hardened. Explaining his actions to her did not seem to satisfy her. Now she expected him to obey her words? “You overstep yourself, Miko. Do you think this Sesshoumaru cares if she sustains injuries? She is nothing but a pawn in Naraku's game. And now, she would pay for her past crimes by aiding us in any manner we wished.”

Her anger and disappointment stabbed through him, making him uncomfortably aware of their connection. Just because she could not feel his emotions any longer, it did not mean that he could not feel hers.

And somehow, this particular feeling of hers disturbed him more than it should.
******************



Sesshoumaru was just staring at her like the entire thing did not matter. Like her concerns did not matter at all. What was the point of her remaining there then? To watch while he continued to torture the helpless forest youkai? Kagome knew that she might not be a great judge of character, but she did not feel that the forest youkai deserved to be on the receiving end of Sesshoumaru's ruthlessness. It was obvious that the girl was scared witless and now, thanks to the cold-blooded youkai, she was also hurt.

Overwhelmed by her fury, Kagome turned around and walked away, not caring if he found her actions disrespectful. At that moment, she just could not bear to be in his presence.

She had enough of his high-handedness. First, he had the gall to trick her into accepting more than a shard hunt. She simply had not expected him to do something like that to her. Secondly, he abused her powers so that he could bring what looked like an innocent youkai back to his torture chamber.

Moriko was not even capable of defending herself. Without any trees or plants around her, she could not utilize her powers. Was it that difficult for Sesshoumaru to understand that that? Was it so hard for him to just question Moriko without physical force?

Agitated and feeling completely out of sorts, her steps were rapid and jerky as she approached the castle.

She could not help but feel disappointed at his actions. She thought that he had changed. But it was clear now that the change she had seen in him was only directed towards her and no one else. Kagome did not know what to think of it. She was flattered that he treated her better than before, but today's events had given her a harsh reality check. Sesshoumaru was still the same cold, ruthless taiyoukai she had met three years ago.

A loud voice called out as she approached the entrance to the castle. “You there! You're trespassing on the lands of Lord Sesshoumaru, human!”

She looked up to find two inuyoukai guards glaring at her. As they looked closer, recognition dawned in their eyes. “You're Lord Sesshoumaru's miko,” one of them exclaimed in surprise.

Kagome bit back the urge to tell them that she was not his anything. Forcing a smile to her lips, she simply nodded. With a nudge in the direction of the cave, she explained, “Lord Sesshoumaru's with his prisoner. Can I enter? I want to say hi to Rin.”

The inuyoukais hesitated, obviously questioning the wisdom of granting a human access, even if the human was the one who had lived there for a month. They looked at each other and then turned back to look at her, but neither seemed willing to open the door.

Slumping at their continual hesitance, Kagome shook her head and smiled. “Never mind. It's okay. I'll just wait until he gets-”

“Grant the miko entrance.”

Kagome looked up just as Sesshoumaru landed beside her. Her smile died. The two inuyoukais scrambled to open the gates.

Still feeling out of sorts with him, she merely nodded. “Thanks. I'll say hi to Rin then I'll leave.” Dimly, she noted that sky was already dark. She just hoped that she would survive the trip back on her own.

He gave her an unreadable look. “Come,” he said quietly. “I'll take you to Rin.”

They passed entrance and continued into the castle, leaving the guards to shut the door behind them. The two other sentries who stood on the other side of the door spared her a quick glance before they averted their eyes.

Kagome avoided looking at Sesshoumaru as they walked, not wanting to end up arguing with him about his treatment of Moriko again. What was the point? It was not as if he would listen to her anyway.

“Miko.”

She shut her eyes briefly and continued walking down the hallway lined with shoji screens, pretending not to hear him. He had this knack of persuading her into things, not to mention tricking her into things. And at the moment, she just did not want to deal with it.

“Miko.”

This time, the uncharacteristic weariness in his voice made her pause.

Turning, she found herself caught in his golden gaze. To her bafflement, there was a faint hint of unease in his posture. If she had not been so used to his little quirks, she would not have noticed it.

His eyes flickered. “Your concerns are…noted.”

She gaped. Was he saying what she thought he was saying?

He looked away, giving the impression that he was uncomfortable with the topic. “However, the fact remains that the forest youkai would be made to supply us with information on Naraku, one way or another. This is non-negotiable.”

“But you won't hurt her physically?”

“That might be necessary on occasion,” he said tightly.

She bristled. He was playing with his words again. “So what are you trying to tell me then? Just stop twisting your word around.”

“The youkai would live.” His tone was grudging.

“Oh.” She sighed. Well, she supposed that in Sesshoumaru's mind, letting his enemy live was one big concession. Then she continued in a gentler tone, “Why don't you just…you know? Talk to her. Persuade her instead of forcing her?”

A look of distaste crossed his face. “This Sesshoumaru does not possess the time to do so.” Before she could offer, he interrupted, “And neither do you.”

Realization dawned on her. “Oh. The shards.”

“Indeed.”

She sighed. The talk about shards and her promise towards him reminded her of her earlier feelings. Not one to keep things bottled up, she decided that she should make her views known. After all, she had nothing to lose.

“Listen, Sesshoumaru. About our agreement… I know you're probably just doing what you normally do. But can you be a little bit more honest with me next time?”

He stiffened visibly. “This Sesshoumaru is not dishonest,” he said, sounding affronted.

She gave him a dry look before she continued evenly, “No. You are. You led me to believe that all you want from me is to hunt shards with you. You could have just told me the truth. I'm honor bound to do whatever you asked anyway. I know your nature probably won't allow it easily but I need you to trust me just a little. It's hard for me to carry on like this if I feel that you don't trust me. Especially when I do trust you.” She paused, shaking her head slowly. “I just don't like being deceived, Sesshoumaru.”

Silence followed her proclamation. For a moment, Kagome wondered if she had gone too far. Sesshoumaru looked as if he was rooted to the spot, his face completely blank. But she knew that it had to be said.

The sound of rapid patters on the bamboo floor reached them, breaking the tense moment between them. Soon, Rin's small figure emerged from the corner.

“Sesshoumaru-sama!” she greeted enthusiastically as she launched herself against his leg.

Kagome's eyes softened as she watched Sesshoumaru pat his ward on the head, his expression warming up almost imperceptibly. She sighed. Anyone who could raise such a sweet kid could not be that bad. Sesshoumaru just needed to learn to trust her.

Brushing away those thoughts, she focused her attention on the child in front of her. “How are you, Rin?” she asked with a smile.

Detaching herself from Sesshoumaru's leg, Rin grinned at her. “Kagome-neesan! Rin missed you.” Then she looked around expectantly before she turned. “Where's Shippou?”

“Uh…Shippou? He's um…”

“The kitsune will be here soon,” Sesshoumaru interjected smoothly.

Kagome's eyebrows shot up. How did he know that? “He will?” she echoed dumbly.

“Hn.”

Before she could open her mouth, Sesshoumaru continued, “Your room is available if you require rest. This Sesshoumaru suggests you do so while you await Inuyasha's arrival.”

Confused as to how Sesshoumaru knew Inuyasha and Shippou were approaching, she could only stare wordlessly at his retreating form.
******************



The miko's words rang repeatedly with annoying clarity in his head, stabbing him with something which felt uncomfortably like guilt. The last thing he had expected was for her to say what she had said.

He had always taken pride in his honor and he still did. The fact that she had questioned his honor irked him to no end. The worst thing was, she had not ranted at him the way he had expected her to. She had simply stated her case calmly, a departure from her norm. But he had not failed to sense the disappointment emanating from her.

If Rin had not interrupted, perhaps he would have explained himself. He frowned, wondering why it even occurred to him to even think to explain anything to her. Not to mention he was rather baffled by the level of his concern with regards to her feelings.

Shaking his head at himself, disgusted by his highly uncharacteristic thoughts, Sesshoumaru stalked to his futon and settled himself comfortably. He would meditate.

Then perhaps his wayward mind would rearrange itself into some resemblance of order.
******************



It was almost midday when Sesshoumaru's senses detected the scent of his half-brother. Knowing that there would be some time yet before he arrived, Sesshoumaru made his way unhurriedly out of his castle.

Stood at the entrance, Sesshoumaru watched as Inuyasha approach in his usual blustery manner. Truly, that hanyou was nothing if not predictable. The miko had only been there since yesterday and Inuyasha was approaching him, bristling with anger. The kitsune, taijiya and houshi were not far behind, traveling on the nekomata youkai with a yellow bag squashed between them.

“Where is she? Don't deny it, I know you took her. I can smell your stink all over the place!” Inuyasha shouted.

Lifting up a brow, Sesshoumaru said evenly, “This Sesshoumaru denies no such thing.”

“What are you doing kidnapping her from us?” Inuyasha drew Tetsusaiga and raised it. “Hand her over now, you bastard,” he snarled.

“Curb your filthy tongue, little brother. The miko is merely resting. Surely you don't begrudge her that,” Sesshoumaru drawled, raising an elegant brow.

“W-Why you-” Inuyasha sputtered.

Sesshoumaru smirked at the hanyou's reaction before he turned his attention to the kitsune. “The miko awaits your arrival. Go to her,” he said.

Eyes widening, the kitsune hopped off the nekomata and shot past him. Suddenly, he skidded to a halt and turned to look over his shoulders. “Umm…thank you, Sesshoumaru-sama.”

Sesshoumaru inclined his head in acknowledgement. “She's in her room.”

With that, the kitsune bounded away from them.

Inuyasha narrowed his eyes at the kitsune before he turned shifted his golden gaze up. “Her room? She's got a room here?”

“This Sesshoumaru would not stoop so low as to allow the miko to sleep in the wild during our agreement,” he remarked dryly. “There are enough rooms in the compound to accommodate one miko and one kitsune.”

“So long as she's not anywhere near you,” Inuyasha shot back.

Knowing that it would rile Inuyasha to no end, Sesshoumaru remarked casually, “Where the miko chooses to sleep, however, is none of your concern.”

“The hell it isn't!” Inuyasha exploded.
******************



Kagome groaned as she turned around. Her entire body ached. It was hardly surprising considering the abuse she had put it through for the last few day. And now that she was comfortably tucked in a soft and warm futon, she found herself reluctant to move.

She decided at that instant that she should just stay put. After all, it was not as if she had anything else to do. She might as well make the most of her comfortable surroundings.

The sound of the shoji screen sliding against the floor forced her to crack her eyes open. Before she could even blink, a small hairball launched itself into her arms. She immediately jerked awake.

“Kagome-neesan!”

“Shippou?” ; she exclaimed, staring into his excited emerald eyes. With a soft laugh, she hugged him to her. “You're here! Is everything okay? I'm sorry I left so suddenly.”

Nodding vigorously, Shippou said, “It's alright. I saw you leave with Sesshoumaru.”

Her brows shot up. “Oh? How did the battle go? Did Inuyasha manage to fight off Naraku?”

“Yes. It was just a puppet,” Shippou replied, his words echoing Sesshoumaru's. “Inuyasha got real mad when he couldn't find you,” he said as his eyes began to twinkle mischievously.

Giving the kitsune a suspicious look, she asked, “What did you do?”

Grinning, Shippou said, “I just watched him run and bark all over the place before I finally told him what happened.”

Her lips quirked as the image of the irate hanyou hollering for her appeared in her mind. She knew that she should not find it funny, but she simply could not help it. And Shippou really should not be playing such tricks on Inuyasha.

Putting on a stern mask, she admonished gently, “You shouldn't have done it, Shippou. Inuyasha was probably very worried.”

Crossing his arms over his chest, Shippou huffed.

Shaking her head indulgently, she asked, “The rest are here?”

Shippou nodded. “They were still outside when Sesshoumaru told me to come find you.”

Kagome quickly crawled out of the futon. “Inuyasha's probably getting himself killed by Sesshoumaru right now. Let's go find them.”

Catching Shippou in her arms, she dashed down the empty hallway until she reached the entrance hallway. She paused briefly in front of the guard, but they seemed to have expected her. As they pulled the heavy door open, she nodded her thanks at them and continued to run out.

Her stomach sank at the scene before her eyes.
******************



Inuyasha's transformed Tetsusaiga came at him.

With a flick of his wrist, Sesshoumaru's whip deflected the attack. “Too slow,” he mocked. His senses were on full alert, his entire body ready to react at a moment's notice, completely at odds with his outward appearance of calm disinterest.

“Shut up!” Inuyasha snarled. Raising Tetsusaiga over his head, he brought it down with a yell of, “Kaze no Kizu!

Sesshoumaru's eyes widened a fraction before he leapt out of the way. The air crackled with energy from the attack and the force swept over the ground, leaving charred indents as he landed some distance away.

Then he smirked at the panting Inuyasha.

“That was foolish, little brother,” he drawled.

Glaring at him, Inuyasha continued to pant. “I won't miss the next time.”

Sesshoumaru quirked a brow. “You've drained your pathetic youki. It is unlikely that you'd be a worthy opponent at present,” he pointed out calmly.

“STOP IT! That's enough!”

Sesshoumaru tensed as he heard the familiar voice of the miko. Flicking a glance at her, he warned, “This is between the hanyou and this Sesshoumaru, Miko.”

“Not if it involves bloodshed between you two,” she retorted heatedly.

“Stay back, Kagome!” Inuyasha shouted, his eyes not leaving Sesshoumaru.

“She will not interfere,” Sesshoumaru said with certainly as he turned back to Inuyasha. She would not dare. Would she? A niggling doubt crossed his mind but he quickly brushed it away. He needed to pay attention to Inuyasha instead of analyzing the miko.

Inuyasha's eyes flashed. “Since when you know her better than I do, huh?” he snarled as he charged forward, his left claws raised. “Sankon Tessou!

Sidestepping Inuyasha's attack at the last moment, Sesshoumaru smirked. “It is not difficult, considering that you do not know her very well in the first instance,” he taunted, preparing himself to deliver a blow.

As he raised his own hand, a bright pearlescent flare suddenly appeared in front of him. His eyes widened a fraction before he impacted with it and was instantly thrown back, landing with a dull thud on the ground.

“I said, stop it,” the miko growled.

More shocked than hurt from the fall, Sesshoumaru remained motionless for a moment until he noticed that he was separated from Inuyasha by a glowing barrier between them. Although he was resistant to her purification, a force was still a force. And the one which had been delivered by the miko, to his consternation, was evidently strong enough to throw him back. He did not know whether he should be proud of her or pay her back by ridding the world of her presence.

But it was not her display of power which had irked him. It was her blatant disregard towards the promise she made to him.

“Miko…” he growled threateningly as he stood up. “You've gone too far.”

She visibly winced as she glanced at him. “Heh…heh,” she laughed weakly.

“Get away from him, Kagome,” Inuyasha yelled urgently.

Ignoring Inuyasha, Sesshoumaru simply advanced on the fidgeting miko. “You went back on your word, Miko,” he stated stonily as he dissolved her barrier with one swipe of his claws.

“Uh…I…um…” she stuttered. Then she stilled, her expression changing from one of uncertainty to one of determination. “Well, I can't very well let the two of you beat each other up, can I?”

“It is a matter between this Sesshoumaru and the hanyou. It is not your concern,” he reiterated coldly as he stared down at her.

Her chin lifted stubbornly. “The two of you are behaving like a couple of brats. Can't you just talk to each other like normal brothers instead of trying to beat each other up every time you meet?” she practically yelled.

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed as he digested her words. The miko had the audacity to liken him to a brat? And she dared to compare him with Inuyasha? Her insolence was unacceptable.

“Do not compare this Sesshoumaru with the hanyou,” he snarled.

To his surprise, he sensed no fear from her. Instead, her eyes flashed defiantly. “Then tell me what's so different between the two of you a minute ago.”

Astounded by her words, Sesshoumaru simply stared at her. His lips tightened in irritation as he failed to find a suitable response to her question.

Spinning around, she proceeded to walk away, leaving him staring at her retreating back.
******************



But she did not relax until she had practically reached the cave. She still could not believe that she had gotten away with yelling at Sesshoumaru without so much as a scratch.

“What was that all about?”

Startled, she turned back to find Inuyasha right behind her. “Huh?”

Pointing backwards in the direction of the castle, Inuyasha said, “That! I can't believe he just let you walk away after what you've said.”

Not really wanting to discuss the issue with Inuyasha, she simply shrugged. “He's probably preoccupied with something.”

Inuyasha did not look as if he believed her. “Where are you going, anyway?” he asked as he followed her.

Without breaking her steps, she replied, “I'm just going to check on Moriko.”

Inuyasha's brows furrowed in confusion. “Moriko?”

Avoiding his eyes, she admitted, “Yeah. I kind of helped Sesshoumaru capture her.”

“What?” Inuyasha sputtered.

She felt herself grabbed and spun around abruptly. “Hey!” she protested indignantly.

“Why would he ask you to help him?”

Annoyed at Inuyasha's manhandling, she snapped, “Maybe because he could not do it without having his youki absorbed?”

It occurred to her that this might be a good time to tell Inuyasha about her promise to Sesshoumaru. But one glance at Inuyasha's twitching ears and his flashing eyes was enough to change her mind. She had better broach the subject when he was in a better frame of mind.

“What does Sesshoumaru need her for?” he asked irritably.

“She's one of Naraku's detachments.” Pausing, she frowned in confusion. “Though I can't sense any evil in her.”

“Feh, Naraku probably didn't give her any choice. Kagura and Kanna were not exactly happy to be serving him, were they?”

“I guess. But the last time I saw her, she was hurt.” Her eyes hardened. “I don't know what Sesshoumaru did but he hurt her. She was all curled up at the corner of the prison.”

Inuyasha gave her an incredulous look. “You say it like you didn't expect it. This is the bastard who tried to kill us.” Then he glowered as he spat, “I still can't believe you're alright after his training. But then again, he also allowed you to mouth off at him not so long ago.”

Kagome tensed, remembering Inuyasha's harsh accusations from the previous night. “Look, Inuyasha, nothing happened during that training, okay?”

He snorted, but he did not meet her eyes.

She sighed wearily. “Inuyasha, can we stop arguing? Please?”

“About this Moriko… Seeing that she's one of Naraku's detachments, I don't understand why you have to care so much,” Inuyasha grumbled, obviously trying to change the subject.

“It's not going to take long, Inuyasha. You can wait out there while I go in.”

He crossed his arms over his chest. “Feh! Like I'm going to let you walk in there by yourself.”

Kagome rolled her eyes. “I think I can protect myself from a warded youkai.”

“I'm coming with you anyway,” he said stubbornly.

“Just don't scare her, okay?”

Inuyasha's eyes narrowed. “I'll do what I want with Naraku's stinking slave.”

“Inuyasha…” she warned.

He gave her a smug look. “You can't subdue me now, remember?”

She gritted her teeth. “But I can beat you up now.”

He snorted in disbelief. “Not even Sesshoumaru could train you that well.”

“How do you know? It's not like you've seen everything he taught me.”

“Feh! So?”

She groaned, knowing that this conversation would get her nowhere. “Whatever you say, Inuyasha.”

For a moment, he looked surprised. Then his expression settled into its usual mutinous look. “What are you waiting for now? I thought you're going in?”

With an exasperated sigh, she turned around and walked into the cave until she reached the warded part of the cavern. To her relief, Inuyasha stood to one side as she got closer to Moriko.

Kagome knelt down beside the cell, feeling as if she had spent way too much in that cold cave. First it had been Inuyasha and now, Moriko. Although the forest youkai was huddled at the end of the cave, Kagome noted with relief that she appeared to be unharmed. Then her eyes took in the untouched bowl of food beside the forest youkai.

“Moriko, you need to eat,” she chided softly.

The brown haired youkai just stared at her.

Kagome tried to reassure her. “The food is not poisoned or anything.” At least, she did not think so, she added silently.

A moment passed before Moriko replied, “I know.”

“Then why?”

“I can't eat this food. It'll make me sick.”

Kagome frowned as she looked at the meat inside the bowl. She supposed it made sense that every race of youkai had their own selection of food. “What do you eat normally?”

Moriko gave her a suspicious look. “Why do you care?”

“Because if you don't eat, you'll die!” Kagome exclaimed in exasperation.

Inuyasha joined her, glaring at Moriko. “Let her die, Kagome.”

The forest youkai gave Inuyasha a cold look. “That's why I'm here, isn't it?”

Kagome sighed. “Look. If Sesshoumaru had wanted to kill you, he won't bother sending food to you. He obviously wants you to live.”

The youkai fell silent.

It was obvious that Moriko distrusted her, Kagome thought. Not that she blamed the youkai. After all, Moriko would not be in her position if she had not helped Sesshoumaru. Shaking her head in resignation, Kagome turned and began to walk out.

Just then, a soft voice reached her. “Miko?”

Kagome turned around. “My name is Kagome,” she corrected her gently.

“Kagome,” Moriko paused, and then continued in a hesitant voice, “I eat nuts, fruits and honey.”

A smile crossed Kagome's lips. She was a vegetarian then. “I'll see what I can find,” she said before she resumed her departure.

Kagome was already halfway out of the cave before she noticed that Inuyasha was not beside her. Turning around, she found him staring at Moriko with a confused frown on his face.

“Inuyasha?”

He snapped around, looking bewildered for a second. Then, without glancing back, he joined her.

“Is something wrong?” she asked, curious about his earlier reaction to Moriko.

He folded his arms in his sleeves. “Feh! The only thing wrong is that we're still here.”

Kagome sighed. This was a good time to tell Inuyasha of her decision to join Sesshoumaru. She had put it off for as long as she could. Not was the time to come clean. She would just have to deal with Inuyasha's reaction the best she could.

“Um….Inuyasha…” she began, sneaking an apprehensive look at him. “Sesshoumaru…”

He suddenly stiffened beside her, his eyes trained towards the entrance of the cave. With a growl, he dashed forward, away from her. “He's here. I'll go tell the bastard we're leaving.”

Sesshoumaru was there? Her eyes widened as she ran after Inuyasha. At that very moment, Sesshoumaru stepped into her view, his form silhouetted against the midday sun.

Grabbing her hand, Inuyasha ground to a stop and glared at Sesshoumaru. “We're leaving.”

Sesshoumaru turned his attention towards her, quirking his brow pointedly.

Knowing that she could not delay it any longer, Kagome cleared her throat. “Inuyasha?”

“What?” he snapped impatiently.

She took her deep breath. “I can't go with you.”

An awkward pause followed before Inuyasha's eyes narrowed dangerously. “What are you talking about?”

She licked her lips nervously. “There's this little thing, you see. I still owe Sesshoumaru something and I need to pay him back now. I need to go with him. Alone.”

Inuyasha's eyes bulged.

A tense silence descended upon them.

Then he erupted.

“WHAT?!”
******************


t.b.c.

A/N: No surprise there, huh? But is there a slight chance that all three of them would survive this encounter unscathed? (Grins) I hope you've enjoyed that. And please, review and tell me what you think! Thanks!