InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Smile for Days Gone By ❯ Kagome's POV ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter One:

Kagome Higurashi. Your normal 17 year old girl, living in Sengoku Jidai. She has her best friends, her kit, and her biggest crush. Problem? She didn't always live peacefully in her small hut near the river, and won't be able to for a long time. This is her story...

"InuYasha!" I cried, running to the well, waist length hair flowing behind me. "I need to go home to see if my family is okay!" I stopped beside my well and sat him. After readjusting my blue headband, I jumped in, calling back, "Just a few days!" A blue light surrounds me and I land softly on my feet. Suddenly a bad feeling hits me. I climb up the ladder and walk outside the well house, silently closing the shoji behind me.

Home, I think happily. But the bad feeling lingers there. I glance around as I walk towards modern technology comfort, noting that everything seems to be exactly the same. I shake my head, dismissing the bad feeling as being paranoid from not having the comforts of home for such a long time. I open the door and call out "Mom! I'm home!" I hear some footsteps running toward me. What happened next almost destroyed me.

Instead of my loving, caring, trusting Mom, my Aunt came running out. She had dark brown hair, kind blue eyes, and a motherly air about her. She was my favorite Aunt. "Oh Dear!" she cried. "I'm so sorry!" she hugged me tightly.

"What's the matter?" I asked, surprised. Where was Mom? Souta? Grandpa? I held her at arms length and looked into her watery eyes.

"Oh, I know you were away Sweetie, but...your family died in a car crash."

I laughed. My family, dead? Haha! Not my Mother who was always so comforting and trusting, and loved me with all her heart. Not Grandpa who would always help me out when I got back from Sengoku Jidai, running my bath and asking my Mom to fix Oden. Not little Souta who would always crawl into bed with me and snuggle up to me whenever I was home. Not them. She was joking right? "That's a good one Aunt Misao. You almost had me for a minute! But where is Mom, Souta, and Grandpa?"

Misao wiped her eyes. "Dear, I know this is hard. And you're in denial. I understand that you don't want to, nor believe me whatsoever. But Honey! They...they died last week! You were away, and, well your Mother left the Shrine to me. I'm so sorry Sweetie!" Misao cried, hugging me yet again.

No...I thought. She is joking. She is SUCH a good actress! Unless I see some graves, I ain't buying it. "If they really are dead, take me to their graves," I said, slightly annoyed that someone would make such a terrible joke. I saw how she tensed up, and shifted uncomfortably.

"Well, if you insist. Let's get in the car." Misao ushered me into her car, a blue car, and we set of in the direction of the local graveyard.

This is going a bit far, I thought. What if...What if they really ARE dead?! No, no, no! Don't think that way. They are probably waiting for me at the graveyard with some surprise or another. Oh! Maybe Mama finished that Kimono she was making me! But why go through all of these troubles? Bringing in Aunt Misao and having her cry. So much trouble. I got out of the car and followed Misao across the graveyard to a fenced in area. The gate read "Higurashi". I knew this place. This is where my Dad was buried. Mama always took us to see him on his Death Anniversary.

"Here..." Misao stopped in front of three fresh graves. I bent down and looked closely at them.

Shimu Higurashi...that's my Grandpa. Chi Higurashi...That's my Mom. Her real name is Chirashi. And Souta Higurashi...that's...My brother. "No..." The word fell from my lips like an anvil. Almost as if it would sink into the soil and bring them back to life. I half expected it too. Like someone would pop out and yell "April Fools!" Problem...It was September. Three days till my birthday. This was all a mistake. I reached out and touched my brother's grave, half expecting it to be a mirage, half believing it was really there. "No..."

"Dear...We really must get going...It's raining...." Misao said. And she was right. When it started, I don't know. I felt numb all over. Goosebumps rose and I shivered. Misao lifted my up and helped me back into the car. No...This is all a dream. I'm going to wake up in my bed at the Shrine, and see it was all fake. I'm going to find Souta curled up next to me, and hug him close, and in the morning I'm going to go downstairs and see my Mom cooking breakfast.

We reached the house, and I followed my Aunt numbly into the house. I walked upstairs to my bedroom and started packing my things. I had made up my mind. I was going to go live back in the Feudel Era. Perfect plan. I could use the Shikon no Tama to wish them back, and we could all live in Sengoku Jidai. I smiled. They wouldn't be dead forever. I looked at myself in the mirror and gasped. I rubbed my eyes and looked again. Kikyou...Was that me or Kikyou? I was very pale like her, and my hair was almost the same. My eyes seemed void of any motion, and my lips were a very, very light pink, not their usual reddish color.

I walked into the bathroom and got out some scissors. I held out my hair, and started cutting. My hair fell to the ground in a soft pile, showing off the meticulous care I put into it. I blinked realizing that I had cut further that I intended. My hair...My beautiful hair was just below my ear. How did that happed? I dropped the scissors and went to get all my shampoo, conditioner, and soap. I also got out some...ahem...female necessities. Sango was really thrilled with these. I stuffed it all in a suitcase, as well as my small amount of clothes and got out my boxes of Ramen.

I threw them all out the window, and thenclimbed out myself. With one last glance at the Modern Times, I jumped into the well, thinking everything would get better. How wrong I was.

A/N: How was that? I might change the title later onI had this great one but can't remember itOh, and I didn't have a chance to send this to my beta readerSorry for mistakes! Please review and tell me how it is!