InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Ever After ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]


I do not own InuYasha or any of the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi


Chapter 4

Again, a piece of wood popped in the fire pit, cascading sparks that fell into the ash and sand around the flames. InuYasha's ear flicked at the sound, but neither he nor Kagome looked up this time from where they were stretched out on the floor nearby.

“Wife,” he whispered, then let his lips brush across hers. “Kagome wants to be InuYasha's wife.”

The awe in his voice, the intensity of feelings in his eyes – want and hope, love and need – was almost too much for Kagome to take. She nodded, not quite able to speak.  Burying his head in the crook of her neck, he breathed warmly against the soft skin there, giving her goose bumps.

“I’ve wanted to be Kagome's husband for so long,” he murmured.

She moaned softly at the sensation.  His mouth found hers again, desperately trying to pour all that she meant to him into that kiss. One arm wrapped under her neck, cradling her head; the other explored the length of her body with long, gentle strokes, eventually finding his way under the bottom hem of her blouse. She arched up to him as his hand explored the soft velvet of her back.

“The things you do to me, woman.  I need you,” he said, raising himself up on one elbow. “I need you like I need air. I need to feel your skin next to mine and taste you everywhere.  I want to drown myself in your smell and wrap myself around you.  Is that wrong?”

“No, InuYasha,” she said,  letting her hands brush the neckline of his kosode and slip under the fabric to touch his warm, bronzed skin. “It’s not wrong at all.  I need that too. It’s what husbands and wives do.”

Wrapping both arms around her, he lifted her up to stand. “Show me what you need,” he said, his voice shaky. “I...”

Kagome nodded. “Take me to bed, husband, and we’ll learn together.”  

He said nothing, but kissed her quickly and untangled himself from her to walk across the small room and grab the folded bedding, unrolling it not too far from the fire pit.  Next, he laid Tessaiga down, putting it where  it would be in easy reach. After that he knelt down to smooth the futon out and spread a blue cover over it.

“You have a futon?” Kagome asked, kneeling down next to him, helping him smooth the cover out.  She was surprised at the touch of luxury before her. Futons were not yet everyday furnishings. And they were expensive. She had spent more than one night sleeping on the floor in her earlier days in InuYasha's time.

“Yeah,” he said a little sheepishly as they finished. “I haven't used it much. I guess you could say it was a sign of me hoping you would be here to use it. I...I didn't want you to have to sleep on the ground.” He blushed a little at the admission.

She rested a hand on his, and smiled. “I'm here,” she said. “Thank you.”

“Yeah.” Rising to his knees, he pulled her up to him. “You really are here. I’m glad I did it.”

His hands slid under her blouse, exploring the warm curves only somewhat hidden by the garment. It wasn’t enough for her.  She backed away just enough to pull the garment up and over her head, and then reached back and unfastened the clasp to her bra. He watched her, not sure of what to do, but she smiled shyly at him, nodding. His hands shook a little as he reached out and slid the straps down her arms and revealed her breasts with their rosy peaks.

“You are so beautiful,” InuYasha said. Watching her with both appreciation and wonder, he pulled the garment all the way off, and laid it on top of her blouse.

Kagome took one of his hands in hers, brought it to her breast and said, “You can touch, you know.”

For a moment, he stared at what he was doing, weighing the soft warmth of her breast in his hand. His thumb brushed across her nipple, and she gasped, closing her eyes for a moment. Suddenly, he crushed her to him, his mouth desperately seeking her lips, then trailing wet kisses down her neck. Her fingers sought the ties to his jacket. He pulled back when he realized what she was doing, and shrugged out of his suikan and kosode.

“I've always wanted to do this,” she murmured, running her fingers over his golden skin. “To touch you without needing to bandage you.” Her hands slid from the tops of his shoulders, across the muscles of his arms, to trace the outline of his chest. He shivered at the touch, his eyes closing as she explored.

Kissing him on the cheek, Kagome stood up, unfastened the waistband of her skirt, and let it pool to the floor. He looked up into her eyes.  Hers in turn looked down on him, heavy lidded, warm, loving and as wanton as the scent of her desire that swirled around him. His hands reached up, tracing the outline of her waist and hips, and slipped into the waistband of her panties, and began to pull them down. She nodded to encourage him; then, as he wrapped an arm around her to support her, she stepped carefully out of the garment. After he added the garments to the pile with the others, he rose up, letting his hands coast along the length of her legs and up to her waist. Her hands went to the bow of his obi and loosened it while he wrapped his arms around her, drinking deeply from her mouth, tasting the salty warm of her skin, feeling her melt against him. Lifting her up, he laid her on the futon, and made quick work of his hakama and fundoshi, then slipped into the bed next to her.

Slowly and gently, they explored each other's bodies through touch and taste, the air filling with the music of gasps and moans and murmured words of love, growing ever closer to that moment when they would be one. Unknown to them, and unseen or unseeable by most eyes, the little house began to glow as youki and reiki began a dance of their own, weaving in and out, reflecting the union going on in their hearts and bodies.

This spiritual fireworks of red and pink light did not go unnoticed, though.

Kaede sitting by her fire felt it first, snapping her head up.  She almost dropped the cup of tea she was drinking as it first brushed across her senses, but then a smile touched her lips when she realized what she was feeling, and what it must mean.

Rin, sitting next to her, looked up from the herbs she was sorting. “Is there something wrong, Kaede-sama?” she asked.

“No, nothing, child. Nothing to worry about.”  She took another sip of her tea.  “No, it’s something quite good, I think.  We’ll find out for sure tomorrow, though.”

Too softly to be heard by anyone else, she said, “I wondered how long it was going to take them.”

Much further away, Toutousai looked up from his forge. Suddenly he shuddered

“Damn.” He looked around the fume-filled room he used as a workplace. “Hey, Myouga, where are you?”

The old  flea youkai yawned, peeking out of the old smith’s topknot. “I'm here. What's wrong?”

“Something's up with the pup. Tessaiga’s all excited. I can tell from here. You need to go check him out. It's been too quiet since Naraku died. Maybe we'll get something interesting to do.”

The flea yawned again.  “Ah, the life of a flea. Do this, do that. Can it wait until the morning? I have a headache.”

“Yeah, yeah.  That’s what you get for visiting the teashops again.  Tomorrow will do.”  He chuckled as the old flea groused then went back to sleep. “I didn’t know the pup had it in him,” he said, looking down the edge of the blade he was working on. “Wonder if that pretty girl he was mooning over showed back up?”

Miroku might have noticed, being rather in tune to his friend’s youki, but he was quite busy himself at the moment, taking advantage of sleeping children and a willing wife.

But two others noticed as well.

Outside of the small house, light cascaded around the Goshinboku as a long, shimmering form stepped out of the tree. Not very far away, another being of light arose out of the well. Diaphanous, and hard to spot for even those with spiritual gifts, the two of them walked together, linking hands, and moved toward the house as they watched the light around the hut gather in intensity.

“You were right,” the kami from the well said. The figure, seemingly female, moved a bit closer, and let her voluminous sleeve of brilliant blue figured silk brush against the light. A cascade of violet sparks ensued.  “It didn’t take them long at all.”

“Well, I did hold him next to me for fifty years,” said the figure from the tree, seemingly male, dressed in resplendent russet and green. “It gave me a certain perspective.”

“I thought they might be too shy around each other,” the spirit of the well admitted. “They were always so circumspect around each other before, never stepping over the boundaries of propriety, even when they could have.”

“That's the hanyou's sense of honor,” he said. “And perhaps it was because she was rather young and not ready to cross that bridge. But you should have been able to feel his heart and see the red thread that tied them together. Look how often he came and sat by you.”

“She did, too. That's why I agreed, really, when you asked me to open the path.” She touched the light emitted from the house again, just briefly. The light  shuddered and changed ever so slightly as the red intensified and began to dominate the pink.

“I wouldn't do too much of that if I were you,” said the tree spirit. “You don't really want youki to overwhelm reiki; he doesn't want to devour her soul.”

“No. But do you want her reiki to overwhelm his youki? He might get purified,” she said. “You know how he feels about being human.”

“Here, let me,” he said, and reaching out a hand, a sound like wind through leaves wrapped around the house. Slowly, the dance of color grew at once calmer and more expanded, settling down into a brilliant rose, perfectly balanced in color, dancing now only in time to their joining.

“You always had a defter hand than I,” said the spirit of the well.

“They deserve it,” the tree spirit said. “The heroes of that story have earned their happy ending.”

“How long will it last?” she asked.

“Oh, quite awhile, I suspect. Never bonded a hanyou and a miko before. But his youki and her reiki will work together, supporting each other. Maybe as long as I'm around.” He smiled at her.

“That, my dear one, is a long, long time,” she replied, smiling back.  “I wonder how much time it will take them to realize it?”

The tree spirit shrugged.  “Oh, a decade or two, I suspect.  Still, I don’t think it will bother them, though, once they get used to the idea.”

“I suppose you are right.  It would be interesting to see.” She waved her fan, and watched.

Suddenly the light built into its largest crescendo yet. It was echoed by voices calling out from within the house. The light disappeared.

She sighed. “Well, it's done.”

“And I suspect,” said the spirit of the tree, “Our part of their story is done as well.”

“Perhaps,” she said. “At least until her fifteenth birthday.”

“Ah, yes, the joy of time paradox.” He let her hand go.

The night was suddenly calm and silent. With a last coy look at her friend, the spirit of the well dissolved and melted into a streak of light retreating to her place of slumber.

“Live well, children,” said the spirit of the tree, and a moment later, he too was gone.

Unaware of all the attention being  paid to them, InuYasha, his silver hair spilling behind him, lay there holding Kagome in his arms in a way he had only dreamed of before, her head pillowed on one arm, his free arm making slow, lazy strokes down the soft warmth of her back. The reality of what had just happened when she gave herself to him, about the way his life had just been changed forever, was  beginning to wash over him.

She looked up at him with sleepy, content, happy eyes, and brushed a finger across his lips. “You look so far away,” she murmured.

“Just thinking about last night,” he said.

“Last night?” She sat up, surprised.

He smiled at her, kissed her lightly, and pulled her back down into his embrace. “Last night, I just felt trapped, all my thoughts crowding in on me. I couldn’t stay here any longer.   I went on a run, up towards the mountains, until I found a place where the sky looked like it went on forever. I sat down, looking at all the stars. Just me and the night sky, alone in the dark. I was wondering if it was my fate to always be alone like that.”

He rested his cheek on the top of her head. “I guess what happened today answers that question.”

“Like the answer?” she asked, wrapping her arm around him and pulling him closer.

“Yeah, I do.” He reached down and pulled the cover over them both. “Very much so.”

Snuggling her close to him, he listened to her breathing, and felt how perfectly her body fit next to his, and slowly drifted to sleep, amazed at the difference one single day could make.