InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Ever After ❯ Chapter 52

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]


I do not own InuYasha or any of the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi


Chapter 52

InuYasha carried Kagome back into the house, stopping just long enough for her to kick of her shoes, and then he leaped onto the wooden floor, not letting her  down until they stood next to the fire pit, and then only to let her feet touch the floor while he captured her lips in another kiss.

“It’s a shame,” Kagome said as he kissed his way to the side of her neck.  She tilted her head, but still shivered at the attention.

“What?” he asked as his hands slid to her waist, looking for her obi.

She managed to step back.  “I didn’t lay out the bedding before I stepped outside.”

He looked around him, then kissed her one more time.  “I guess that means I need to let you go, right?”

“It would help,” she said, touching his cheek with her hand, then slid it up to tweak his ear. “I promise not to run away.”

His lips ghosted over hers, and brushed her ear. “Promise there won’t be any monks or kitsune, either.”

She looked up at him, her eyes sultry and heavy.  “None - not if I can help it.”

InuYasha sighed.  “I guess I’ll go take care of the fire while you do that.”  Reluctantly, with one last caress, he let his arms drop.  Kagome took a deep breath, nodded, and headed toward the cabinet where she kept their bedding.

“So what do you and Miroku do when you’re on one of these exorcisms,” Kagome asked as she pulled out the folded bedding.

“Feh,” he said, as he walked to the fire pit. “Not what I want to talk about right now.”

“I just was curious,” she said, rolling the white fabric out.   With a sure hand, she smoothed the fabric, the placed the pillows.

He picked out some wood to bank the fire with. “Not much different from what we used to do.”  He knelt down and placed the wood where he wanted it, then picked up the fire tongs. “We walk there, Miroku and I find where the youkai is, he flushes it out, I kill it.  Afterwards, we collect our payment and walk home.”

She looked up at him as she spread the coverlet. “I’m glad.”

The room darkened as he worked the fire, the growing darkness casting shadows over his face.  Kagome, working by the lamp, knelt in a pool of light.  He looked up at her, slightly puzzled. “You’re glad about how we take care of youkai?”

She shook her head and chuckled. “Not that. I’m glad that you’re only going to be gone tomorrow,” she said, giving him a small, slightly wanton look. “I don’t think I’m ready to let you go away overnight yet.”

He smiled back. “You think I’m ready for that either? Not sure when that’s going to happen.”

“Miroku seemed to think you ought to be,” Kagome said, turning back the covers.

InuYasha covered the coals with ash. “Shows what he knows.”

Kagome laughed. “Bet he never snuggles up next to you like I do.”

“Feh.  He better not try.” InuYasha stood up, brushing his hands off.  He walked over to the futon, put Tessaiga down near the bed  where he could grab it if necessary, then unfastened  his jacket.

Kagome stood up and slipped her hands under the red fabric, sliding the garment off his shoulders.  “Just don’t take any time more than you need to get back home.” She kissed the base of his throat, and looked up at him.

The red fabric slipped off and landed on the floor behind him, unheeded.  He slipped a finger under her chin, his face intense.  His amber eyes caught the lamplight, glowing in the dimly lit room. “Nothing out there worth wasting time over.”  He brushed his lips across hers. “Nothing.”

His hands slid down to her waist. This time, his fingers found her obi, and untying the knot, he let the strip of fabric also flutter to the ground.

Shrugging, Kagome let the white fabric of her kosode fall to the ground, then she bent over, picked it and InuYasha’s jacket up, and laid them on the chest while InuYasha stood there, watching the light and shadow dance across her backside.  He reached out a hand and lightly touched, and she turned her head and smiled, but didn’t stop what she was doing.  Instead, she slipped under the cover. Propping her head on one hand, she gave InuYasha a heavy-lidded look and a wicked smile. “Aren’t you going to come to bed?”

“I thought you’d never ask,” he said, then moved to put out the lamp.

Kagome shook her head.  “No, don’t put the light out. I want to see you.”

“Oh, do you?” He turned back toward her, his eyes almost predatory, a small but knowing smirk touching his mouth.

She sat up, letting the covers drop to her waist, not to be intimidated. “Not fair that you have better vision in the dark. You’re not the only one who likes what they see.”

That made InuYasha laugh, and he quickly slipped out of his clothes and laid his hakama on the top of the stack and joined her on the futon.

Laying on his side and facing her, he cupped the side of her face gently.  “So, woman who wants to see, want to tell me what you like?”

“Hmm,” she said, letting her hand  slide into his hair and up to the top of his head, where her fingers gently brushed a furry triangle, “the way your ears focus forward when you’re paying attention to whatever you’re doing to me.”

His eyes closed as she rubbed, and he shivered just a little at the sensation before planting a tiny kiss on the tip of her nose.  “And?”

She leaned forward and brushed her lips across his forehead. “The way you watch me when you think I’m not looking.”

He made a wordless noise, and she kissed the base of his chin, and down the length of his throat. He gasped softly and closed his eyes. His arms wrapped around her, pulling her close and stilling the progress of her mouth, but not her hand. Her hand  brushed ever so lightly down his side, drawing patterns where his thigh met his torso, wrapping at last around the hard length pressing against her tummy.

His eyes flew open, and she smiled like she had won a prize. “I like watching you when I do that too,” she murmured.

“Woman,” InuYasha said, rolling her over, silencing her protest with a hungry, devouring kiss. Slipping his arms under her shoulders, he pulled back enough to search her eyes, their blue gray dark and wanting. “This is why I’d rather be with you than on the road.”

“Better than a campfire listening to Miroku’s jokes?”  She reached up and kissed his shoulder as she wrapped her arms around him, sliding them under the white silk streaming down his back resting them on his shoulder blades.

“Always,” he said. “And why I’ll never waste time getting back home.”

 He ghosted his lips down her throat.  She arched up, eyes closed, making a small needy noise as his lips and tongue ran a line down to her collarbone.  “You were right. I like to watch,” he said.  Her eyes met his, amused. “You’re so beautiful like this.  I can’t even describe it.”

One hand slid between her thighs, gently touching the velvety skin there, pulling more sounds from her that set him on fire. His mouth found a breast, and then the other.

Their eyes met, unexpectedly, and InuYasha grinned.  “So you do like to watch.”

“I want to do more that watch,” she said, wrapping her legs around his hips, grinding herself against him.

“Me too,” he said, sliding home.

Their eyes met off and on as they rocked together, but neither seemed to be able to watch for long. He tried to watch as she reached her peak, but it was too much for him, and he followed her right after.  Rolling off of her, he lay there, boneless, and let her pull up the covers.

When she sat up, he grabbed her hand. “Where’re you going?”

“Time to put out the lamp,” she said.  “Enough watching for a little while.”

He nodded, and closed his eyes, as the room darkened.  Coming back to bed, she gave him one tiny kiss, and they cuddled, drifting off into a comfortable sleep.

It didn’t last.

Sometime in the middle of the night, InuYasha bolted up.  He looked around him, and in the moonlight, made out the contours of the room, and the warm body laying next to him.

He brushed a lock of hair out of her face. “Kagome?”

Kagome opened sleepy eyes and watched him looking down at her. There was just enough moonlight spilling into the room to make out the twitching of his ears, the upset look in his eyes.

She pushed herself up, the blanket falling to her waist, revealing her bare skin. Before she could say anything, his arms wrapped around her. His cheek nuzzled her neck and shoulder, and his arms held her firmly against his chest as he planted butterfly kisses from her ear to the top of her shoulder.

“InuYasha, is something wrong?” she asked.

He rocked her gently to him. “Bad dream.”

“It was just a dream,” she said as she leaned into the warmth of his chest, skin against skin.

“Promise me,” he said, holding her closer.

“Promise what?” she asked, looking up at him.

“That you won’t do anything careless tomorrow.” He rested his chin on the top of her head.

The neediness in his voice shook her, and she turned in his arms until she faced him. In the pale moonlight, he seemed so otherworldly, a creature of silver and shadow, beautiful, intense, eldritch, and not someone who should be clinging to her like he saw a ghost.  

“Nothing’s going to happen tomorrow, InuYasha,” she said, wrapping her fingers into his.

“I’m not sure what I dreamed anymore,” he said.  “I just know it scared the hell out of me, enough to wake me up. Something happened to you and I was left alone, and I couldn’t do anything about it.”  He gave her a sheepish smile.  

“You know I’m going to be with Sango or Kaede all day tomorrow, probably. And Daitaro would help if I needed it.”

He kissed the top of her head.  “Stupid nightmares.  Maybe I’m just not ready to get back to business or something, but I need to. So be careful tomorrow.”

“I promise,” she said. “So let’s go back to sleep.”

He nodded,  then kissed her fiercely. Breaking the kiss, he breathed, “You better.  Without you, I am just lost in the dark.”

“Heh,” she said.  “You won’t get lost.  And tomorrow will be over before you know it.”

“Keh,” he said. With a soft kiss to her forehead, he laid them back down. Listening to her heartbeat, he stared into the night for a while, and thought of  the irony of monsters fearing monsters, and fell at last into a dreamless sleep.