InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Ever After ❯ Chapter 72

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I do not own InuYasha or any of the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi


Chapter 72


In Kagemura, Osamu the village headman and Ryuu stood in the center of the village with InuYasha and Miroku.

“You’re sure we can’t convince you to stay the night? You deserve more than a simple thanks for what you did today.  Any one of us would be more than happy to have you as honored guests.”

InuYasha, his ear twitching in impatience, shook his head. “I don’t care if the monk stays, but I have to get back.”

Miroku looked at him, and sighed, resigning to the inevitable, and tried, fairly successfully, to keep his professional face on. “Alas, no, Dono.” He petted the kitten he held in his arm. “It’s important I get what’s left of the bakeneko out of your village before sundown. We wouldn’t want anything else unfortunate to befall you. Who knows?  Another youkai might be attracted to the remnants of her power here, and decide to come and pick up where she left off.”

There were murmurs and nods and a shiver or two among the people who had gathered around the group.

The headman, looking unnerved a bit himself, nodded. “Wait a moment though. We have something for you.”

The hanyou scowled, but Miroku nodded, and after a moment, a man walked up, pulling a handcart. “It would be wrong of us to send you off empty handed.” He nodded to a young man who walked into one of the small outbuildings and before long, the hand cart was loaded with two bundles of rice, several lengths of cloth, and a few closed boxes.

“All this?” Miroku said, honestly surprised, since he hadn’t really expected to get anything but a token payment.

“We didn’t let the yamabushi get everything,” Ryuu explained as they tied it securely. “The new Samurai who administers the market, he heard of what was happening here, and gave us these to help pay for an exorcism.”

For once, Miroku was at a loss for words.

“Feh,” InuYasha said. “We would have done it any way.”

“After being hoodwinked the first time by that yamabushi,” Osamu said, “we decided not to announce that we had anything substantial for a reward.”

InuYasha glanced at Miroku, then looked back at Osamu. “Smart. There’s a lot of phony exorcists out there. Some of’em, if they know you can pay, charge too much.”

Miroku coughed.

Another man joined them, and bowed. He was a youngish man, but had a scar across one cheek and hair that was salt and pepper gray, unusual in a man of his age. “Thank you for what you have done for us. I know you have saved my daughter’s life. I am Masuo, the father of Hiseo and Yume.” He bowed again. “If you would let me, I’ll pull the cart back to the village for you, and bring my children home.”

“It would be our honor,” Miroku said.

“Keh,” InuYasha said, stuffing his hands in his sleeves. “Let’s just get going.”

Masuo bowed again, and got behind the pull bar of the cart. With a creak, the cart moved and they were on their way.

While the men began their journey home, back at Tameo’s house, Kagome lay in the steaming hot water of Hisa’s bathtub, trying hard to let the warmth relax her and calm her mind.

“It’s been so long since anybody tried to grab me like that,” she murmured.  “I forgot what the fear felt like.” Sighing, she closed her eyes.  “Did we use to do this thing all the time, InuYasha?  Come home soon.”

There was a knock on the bathroom door. “It’s just me,” Hisa said, sliding the door open.  She carried some brightly colored folded cloths in her hand, in shades of blue, white and red. The air she let in was much cooler than the bathing room’s air, and Kagome could feel it on her cheeks.

“I didn’t really want to disturb you,” Hisa said. “But I thought you might like some fresh clothes to wear. They aren’t much, but they’re clean.”  

“Thank you,” Kagome said, giving her a small smile. “You have been very kind.”

“Bah. You’re family now. I would do the same for Emi and Matsume.” Hisa laid the robes on the bench along the wall.  “And this day has been...”  She took a deep breath, and gave Kagome an apologetic smile. “I hope you don’t mind, but I’m having one of the women wash your miko robes.  Someone once told me your husband has a very sensitive nose.” Hisa sat down next to the clothing, and ran her hand lightly on the stack of fabric.

Kagome gave a little nod. “Very much so.”

“I thought as much. Such a nose  matches his ears. No use having that man’s scent on you or your clothing.”

The younger woman’s eyes opened at that. “I didn’t think of that!”

“With everything that’s been going on today, you can’t expect to remember everything. That’s what having friends and family is for, dear.”

Smiling back, Kagome nodded.

“You take your time, though,” Hisa continued. “Emi’s making some tea that’s good to help a person relax.  I don’t know about you, but I know I could use it.” She laughed a little. “I haven’t seen this much excitement since...well the day when that awful youkai bombed our village, maybe. Or the day you showed up the first time. That was a rather exciting day.”

That made Kagome smile. “It was a rather crazy day. I had never even seen a youkai before that day.”

Hisa nodded. “That’s what I heard. It’s funny how these things work out. It didn’t take Kaede much time to realize who and what you were. And Tameo agreed, which is why our village stayed open as a place to give you shelter on your quest.  And now, you’re sitting in my bathtub, and we’re having chats about exciting days.”

“That whole year had enough exciting days to last me for a while.  I think I’m ready for some quiet ones,” Kagome said.

“I am sure,” Hisa said, standing up. “After too much excitement, there’s nothing like a long stretch of normal.  When you’re done, come join us for some tea. I’ve sent all those noisy men away - ”

There was a knock on the door, interrupting her.

“Kagome-chan?” The voice was familiar and it made the young woman sit up. “Kagome?  Are you in there?  Are you all right?”

“Sango-chan?” Kagome said.

“The monk’s wife?” Hisa said. Kagome nodded. “I’m glad she could make it.”  She got up and moved to the door, and slid it open.

As she did, Kagome grabbed her towel and stepped out of the water.  She had barely gotten it wrapped around her when she was almost knocked over by her friend hugging her.  

“I was so worried,” Sango said. “Shippou stopped by and told me a wild story about someone grabbing you in the garden.” Sango stepped back, to look at the dripping miko. “And that Haname-sama had slapped you.  Are you hurt anywhere?”

Kagome, smiling, shook her head.  “I don’t think so.  I’m so glad you’re here!  Yes, someone tried to grab me, and yes, Haname did slap me. It’s been a really awful, strange, weird day.”

Hisa still holding the doorframe, looked at the two women. “Why don’t you help Kagome-chan get dressed, and bring her out here?  Emi’s made tea, and we can tell you all about it.  It’s quite the story.” She looked out in the main room, then turned back, a surprised look on her face.  “Where are your little ones?”

“They’re back home. Chime-sama and Erime-chan are watching them,” Sango said.

“Good, good,” Hisa said, nodding. “That’ll give her something to do besides fret over Shinjiro’s wedding. I’ll see you two in a few minutes.”

The older woman slid the door closed.

“Turn around. Let me check your back for any hurts,” Sango asked.  As Kagome did, Sango nodded.  “Whatever happened today, you didn’t even get a bruise.”

“I didn’t think so,” Kagome said. “Now if Shippou doesn’t panic InuYasha too much . . . ”

Sango sighed, and reached for the bundle of clothes. “He was pretty upset. I don’t know if he’s more frightened for you or what InuYasha will do to him once he fights out. I guess we’ll . . . ” Her voice trailed off as she looked at  the large tub, still steaming, as if she had just noticed it.

“Hisa-sama has a bathtub?” she said. “It’s a big one.”

Kagome laughed. “That’s what I said when she told me about it.”

Sango unfolded the clothes and handed her an under kosode. “You think she might let me use it sometimes?”

“We can ask. I know she told me to come by from time to time to have a bath.” Kagome slipped the white cloth around her shoulders and Sango handed her the wrap belt for it. “She’s really very nice. It’s like I’ve got a second mother.”

Sango gave her a big smile. “It’s nice to have people who really care for you and who you know will back you up and help when things go wild like today,” Sango said, handing her a kosode in blue with red and white flowers.

Kagome took Sango’s hand, and gave it a little squeeze. “And good friends to talk to when the craziness is over.” She sighed. “But I hope we can convince InuYasha about it when he gets here. I know he’s going to be really worried the whole way back.”

“He’ll calm down fast once he sees how well you are,” Sango said. “But now I need the story. Who tried to grab you and how did you get away?” Sango handed her the obi that went with the robe.

“Now that’s an interesting story,” Kagome said, fastening the belt. “I’m glad you don’t have to rush home. If you hadn’t been with me on the quest for the jewel, I don’t know if you would actually believe all the craziness that’s happened today.”

“I’m not leaving until InuYasha gets here and calmed down,” Sango said. “I have plenty of time.”

“Good. I feel a lot better with you here,” Kagome said, then walked to the door of the bathing room.  “Let’s get some of that tea that Hisa-obaasan promised and I’ll tell you everything.”

And sliding the door open, she stepped out.

As Kagome and Sango sipped tea, and the women told Sango all about the events with Haname and Morio, the three men were heading towards the village.  Not long after they passed the crossroads, Miroku looked at the hanyou and gave him a nudge.

“I told you we should make it home by dinner time,” Miroku said.

“Barely,” InuYasha replied.  

“You both would have been more than welcome to spend the night at my house, or at any of the other homes in the village,” Masuo said. “You did us a great service, destroying that monster.”

The kitten on Miroku’s shoulder looked at the man pulling the hand cart, and mewed at him.

Masuo looked at the monk. “You’re sure that’s all that’s left of the bakeneko? There’s no magic left in her?”

“Not a drop,” the monk said, lifting the cat off of his shoulder. “And with her tail bobbed, she’ll never get any more, either, now will you, Chika.” The cat nuzzled his chin in reply.

“It’ll be good to see my little ones,” Masuo said. “I didn’t want to bring Yume home until the monster was gone. I hope they haven’t been a bother to Miko-sama while they were there.”

“Your son was taking his sister-guarding duties very seriously,” Miroku said. “I suspect Kaede-sama hasn’t had much problem at all with him.”

Masuo  nodded. “Good, good. That’s how I raised him.”

The conversation dropped for a moment. Masuo became lost in his own thoughts and then gave the monk a wry smile. “It’s been a long time since I saw Miko-sama last,” Masuo said. “But I seem to remember her being rather patient with a certain young man who was more than anxious to get out of her hut and go home.”

Miroku looked at InuYasha behaved like he was ignoring them both, although his ear tweaked in their direction as they spoke. “I think she’s had plenty of practice at that one over the years,” Miroku said.  

“He, too?” Masuo asked.

Miroku nodded. InuYasha turned around and was about to say something, when a large bird dropped out of the sky, popped, and Shippou landed on the ground.

“A kitsune!” Masuo said, and dropped the pull bar of the handcart, and got ready to run.

Miroku grabbed him by his sleeve. “It’s all right. We know this one.”

A cold shiver ran down InuYasha’s back. Shippou looked up at him, his eyes wide and panicked, and he tried to say something, but the words weren’t coming out.

“No, it’s not all right,” InuYasha said, picking the kitsune up by his collar. His ears laid flat, and his free hand clenched into a fist. “What’s happened?  You better not have come out here for no reason at all.”

“I tried to stop it!  But I couldn’t! Someone...someone...someone tried to kidnap Kagome,” Shippou sobbed.  “I...I tried to stop him, and she ran away and I ran right here to get you! You need to go home and make sure she’s all right!”