InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Ever After ❯ Chapter 125

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I do not own InuYasha or any of the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi


Chapter 124


Lunch was pickles, tea and onigiri stuffed with dried bonito.

“Is this enough?” Kagome said, passing InuYasha his tray. “I know that there’s going to be food at Hisa-obaachan’s and at the temple.”

“Fine with me,” InuYasha said, putting his tray down. He grabbed a pickle slice. “How many women are coming to this thing that Hisa’s doing?”

“I don’t know,” Kagome asked, playing with her teacup. “I forgot to ask.”

“Knowing Tameo and Hisa, it’ll be a good group,” he said, picking up a rice ball.

“I guess,” Kagome said. She took a deep breath and began to eat.

They grew quiet as InuYasha ate his share and watched Kagome, staring into the fire pit, mostly play with hers. He didn’t like the way she was chewing on her bottom lip. Trying to break the ice, he reached out and snatched one of her pickles. She ignored him, and merely took another bite of rice.

“Something must be wrong,” he said, looking at her with concerned eyes.  

She looked up, startled. “I’m sorry. What did you say?”

“I just took a pickle from your plate and you didn’t even notice,” InuYasha said. “Are you all right?”

“I was just thinking.” She reached for her dish of pickle slices, took one, and handed the dish to InuYasha. “Here, eat these.”

“Kagome...” He put the dish down on this tray, and watched her as she stood up and got water to wash their dishes.

He hurried the last of his food down. “Why are you worried?” InuYasha said when she walked back over to pick up his tray.

She put his dishes in the water. “I’m not exactly worried.”

“Right.” He got up and walked next to her. “You look like you did when you used to have one of those math test things.”

Kagome looked up from her dishwashing. “Math test things?”

He rested his hands on the top of her shoulders and squeezed lightly. “You’re really tense.”

“I...” she said. “Math test things?” She gave a little, but nervous laugh. “Am I that wound up?”

“Yeah,” He said, leaning forward and kissing her forehead. “Even your scent says you are.”

Sighing, she finished washing the last of the dishes, and drying them. “I guess I’m nervous about making a good impression or something.”

He took the towel from her hand. “You don’t need to be so nervous. You’re going to be at Hisa-sama’s. I’m sure nobody’s going to be rude to you there. You anticipate too much.”  

“You’re right,” she said, giving him a small, rather embarrassed smile. “I shouldn’t be so silly. I’ve just never been to one of these things before. I’m not even sure what to bring.”

“Bring what you’re working on,” he said. Moving to the fire pit, he banked the fire for the afternoon.

She walked over to the clothing cabinet and opened a drawer. “I’m almost through with your kosode. I don’t know if that’ll be enough work to take with me.” Pulling out a piece of printed linen, she ran her fingers over it. “I don’t know if I want to cut out a new piece while I’m there.”

The hanyou shrugged. “You’d know more about that than I would.”

“I could start another towel.” She put the length of fabric over her arm. “We still don’t have enough yet.”

“Yeah,” he said, looking up and dusting off his hands. “Or you could bring all of it, and decide once you’re there.”

She added a length of white linen to her stash. “I guess you’re right.”

InuYasha walked over to where she was filling her sewing basket, grabbed her, and gave her a small kiss on the lips. “I bet you’re going to have a better time than me.”

“Want to trade places?” she asked.

InuYasha chuckled. “You really want to be crawling over that roof? I think Miroku asked every family in the village. If half the men show up, there’ll be too many of’em. We’ll be lucky if people don’t get hurt just from trying to work in too little space. Maybe even make the roof crash.”

“I hope not.” Kagome said. “But I do know Kaede’s put together extra supplies just in case.”
She picked up her basket.

“And if I went to Hisa’s, can you imagine everybody’s eyes as they watch me try to sew?” He made the motions of pulling a needle through cloth. This made Kagome give him an honest laugh, and she caught his hands in hers.  

“You’ve made your point,” she said. “You go catch the guys falling off the roof, and I’ll finish your kosode. We’ve given everybody enough to talk about as it is.”

“Good idea,” InuYasha said. “I wonder if Sango’s as nervous as you?”

“Shall we go see?” Kagome said. Slipping on her shoes, she stepped toward the door.


There was a small crowd standing in front of Miroku’s house.

“Huh. Didn’t expect to see Miroku here,” InuYasha said as they neared. The monk was leaning up against a tree talking with Daitaro and a couple of other men, while the old farmer’s wife was standing next to Sango, Erime and another woman. “I figure he’d be over at the temple supervising or something.”

“Maybe,” Kagome said, glancing up at him, “he wanted to make sure you were going to show up.”

“Feh. Wouldn’t put it past him.” He crossed his arms in front of his chest and stuck his hands in his sleeves.  

“Who’s that standing next to Daitaro and Shinjiro?” Kagome asked, shifting her basket from one hand to the other. “I don’t think I’ve met him.”

“That’s his younger son, Genjo,” the hanyou said. “Surprised you haven’t seen him yet, all the times Daitaro’s been around. That’s Genjo’s wife standing over there by Chime.”

“I guess they’ve been too busy with the wedding and all the craziness here for me to get a chance to meet them,” Kagome said.

The hanyou shrugged. “Maybe.”

As InuYasha and Kagome neared, the first to spot them were Sango’s daughters. One of them looked up from where she had been playing with a doll. She nudged the other twin. Suddenly, both of them stood, and started running up the path. “Obasan!  Inu-ojisan!” they called out as they hurried to greet the new comers.

Sango moved to go after her daughters, but when she saw the couple walking towards them, she chose to wave instead. “There you are! I guess we can get started now.”

InuYasha gave the twins an amused grin and picked them up as they reached him. “You two are good runners.”

“Go running?” Yusuko asked.  

“You like to run?” InuYasha asked.

Both girls nodded.

He gave them a little frown. “Sorry, girls. Not this time,” he said. “Your otousan wants me to do something.”

Noriko sighed and turned to look at Kagome. Yusuko frowned.

Kagome laughing a little, gently ran her fingers through Noriko’s bangs. “We have somewhere else to go. Did you forget? Maybe Inu-ojisan can take you on a run another time. You two look pretty,” she said.  

They were dressed better than usual. Sango had put them in their best clothes and had tied big hair bows in each girl’s locks.

Yusuko touched her bow. “Dressed up! You like?”

The miko nodded. “Are you ready to go to Hisa-sama’s?”

Noriko held her arms out to Kagome, who let InuYasha pass her to her. “Going to Hisa-obaasan’s,” she said. “You too?”

“That’s right,” Kagome said, letting the girl down, but holding her hand. “How about you, Yusuko?”

“Me too!” the other girl said. “Mama said we go.”

“Good, good,” Kagome said. “Let’s go get the others.”

“This is a surprise, seeing all you here,” Kagome said as she and InuYasha reached the others.

“Not my fault,” Daitaro said, scratching the back of his neck. “The monk here stopped by the house, and everybody decided to come with me.” He turned and looked at Miroku. “You think he was worried about me not showing up?”

“I just thought you might like some companionship on the walk up,” Miroku said. “I was going that way, after all.”

“Why not?” Chime said. “It’s more fun to go together.” She smiled at the young miko. “And that’s why we came, too. I’m glad you’re going with us, Kagome-chan. I’ve been looking forward to today.  It’s a good chance for you to meet more of the women. But I thought you and Sango-chan might like to go with some friendly faces.”

“Keh,” InuYasha said, looking at his wife. She gave him a pointed look, but then smiled.

“You’re right,” Kagome said. “I don’t know why, but for some reason, I’ve been a little nervous about this afternoon.” Noriko began to pull at her hand, trying to get loose.

“Me, too,” said Erime. “This is my first time going to one of these.”

“I think I might have been too busy getting everybody ready to get nervous,” Sango said. “But we’re glad you decided to walk with us, Chime-obaasan. I just hope the girls don’t drive you crazy.”

“Your daughters?” She held out her hand for Noriko, and Kagome let go. Suddenly though, Noriko was too shy, and decided to cling to Kagome’s hakama.

Mariko, carrying a small child on her back stepped forward shyly and gave a short bow. “I know we haven’t had a chance to talk yet,” the younger woman said.

Chime said. “This is Mariko,  the wife of my younger son, Genjo. I’ve been fortunate to get to keep her at home while we get ready for our big day. She’s been a big help.”

“Ah,” Kagome said. She gave the younger woman a big smile. “I hear you have been really busy.”

“We’re just about done,” Mariko said. “Just in time, too. It’ll be nice going down to the village and being able to sit and talk while we do the last of the sewing.”

InuYasha let Yusuko down. “You need to stay here, kid. I have to go talk with your Otousan.”

“No,” the girl said, unhappy about being left.

Sango grabbed Yusuko’s hand before she could follow InuYasha as he headed toward the men. “So Erime, your big day is almost here,” she said.

Erime blushed, stealing a glance at Shinjiro. “Yes, yes. It seems like it’s taking forever to get here. But today will help the time pass faster.”

“Funny,” Chime said, patting Erime’s hand. “I’ve heard Shinjiro say the same thing.”

Shinjiro looked up, hearing his name mentioned. “More than once.”

“Definitely more than once,” Genjo, his brother said.

Daitaro shrugged. “Those last few days always take forever.”

“Your okaasan told me about how much you complained, husband,” Chime said, laughing.  “Shinjiro’s been far more patient.”

The old farmer laughed. “That’s because I’ve been keeping him busy.”

“Speaking of busy,” Miroku said. “Lovely women, I am afraid I have to put your men to work.”

“Make sure you take good care of them,” Chime said. “They all have serious obligations coming up.”

“Kwannon is merciful,” Miroku said. “I have every intention of returning them to you just a little worse for wear.”

“Yeah, yeah,” InuYasha said, nudging Miroku away from the women and towards the path they needed to take. “The temple is this way, Bouzu. I know a lot of people must already be there. I’m surprised you’re even here.”

“Heh, Ryota’s up there,” Daitaro said. “He’ll either be stuffing his face or getting everybody organized. He makes a good foreman. Either way nothing’s going to go wrong.”

“Still,” Shinjiro said, “We better get going if there’s going to be any work for us left. With as many people as you asked, Houshi-sama, they might be done before we get there.”

“Doubt if we’re that lucky,” Genjo said. “Ryota was talking about a competition.”

After a little more laughter, the group separated, the women heading down the hill, the men heading the opposite way to get busy.

“Oh to be a fly on the wall at Hisa-sama’s,” Miroku said.

“Why?” InuYasha asked.

“Oh,” the monk said, grinning, “I’m sure the talk there is going to be more interesting than the talk we’re going to do,”

“You just have to know everything, don’t you, Bouzu?” InuYasha shook his head.

“Monks and gossip, I hear they go well together,” Daitaro said.

“Truth,” InuYasha replied.

“You know me too well, friends, you know me too well,”  Miroku said.  And with a gentle chuckle, he led his ragtag band of roofers to join the men waiting for them to get started.